Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ Paying the Piper's son ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Dr. Who and associated characters belong to the BBC. Tomic is my own character. This is a work of fan fiction, not for profit. I don't own Dragon Ball Z either. Funimation controls that.
Paying the Piper's Son
By Trynia Merin
 
 
Notes and Prologue
For those of you who liked that Jaime/Zoe story, here is another I found on my hard drive featuring Jamie, aka James Robert McCrimmon. It's part of a larger fan fiction, but I figured it would be fun for the Jamie fans to see… where Jamie meets a benevolent Saiyan female Mercenary on Titan, where he and the Doctor and Victoria are trying to thwart a Sontaran plan to take over the Solar System by controlling a mining colony on Titan… Corporal Tomic is the sister of (Turles or Tullice), and soon to be mate of Raditz.
I basically see Jamie's traditional notions of men and women being challenged here. As well as his own desires as a young man. There is no sex here, only an exploring of a 'first kiss'. The Saiyan female is not yet mated for life, FYI. Basically I always wondered what it would be like for a Sontaran to fight a Saiyan.
 
 
Part 1 Dueling with Sontarans

Corporal Tomic heard a young boy's cry. Where had Jamie gone? The Doctor had asked her to see if she cold find the young man, as he worked to repair the damaged defensive perimeter. Now as the Saiyan scientist rounded the corner, she gasped.
Tomic saw the horrid sight like something out of a nightmare. A creature with limbs accustomed to heavier gravitational attraction sauntered into the hallway. Just like her, it was accustomed to gravity far in excess of Earth's. Perhaps even a factor of ten. Sontarans and Saiyans had crossed swords in the past, with disastrous results. Faced with the destructive powers of the Saiyan Empire, the Sontarans had wisely negotiated a treaty.
Tomic's own armor gleamed black with gold shoulder flashes, designating her once purger status. Now that Master Broly freed her people from Freiza's reign, they worked for their own purposes. No longer did they destroy aimlessly. Rather they were hired mercenaries trained to fight or take out anyone who their employers hired them to do. Knowing that a planet of primates were being threatened by Sontara, Tomic and her intended mate Raditz had been dispatched to help the primate ningen in the Sol system. Saiyans tended to protect interests, and this small world reminded them both of the planet that Raditz's brother had chosen for his home in the Western Galaxy.
She had stumbled across the Doctor and his two companions Victoria and Jaime trying to stop the Sontarans from ruining Earth's network of hydrogen powered solar craft. The Doctor used reason to convince the Saiyan female to join his efforts in a more nonviolent way. He had his own dealings with the monkey race, and because of a favor he had done to King Vejita the 4th back on their home planet of Alvegasei, they were sworn to honor this deed. He abhorred the fact that their recent monarch King Vejita the 10th had conquered a weaker race for the honor of Emperor Freiza, but he was pleased that some of them had the good sense to fight back against him under Lord Zarbon's rebellion.
Broly, the newest ruler of the Saiyans had slain Freiza, freeing millions from his rule. Now a small group of races, the Zellbranians, Saiyans, Idsarjin, Androgum, Thaals, and the Third Zoners stood against Queen Frosta, Freiza's little sister who struggled to win back this quadrant while her brother Cooler fought using his alliance with the Daleks.
Under Lord Zarbon's direction, Raditz, Napa, Tomic and Cabernet had headed to the Sol system to take out the advance Sontaran guards. Formerly purgers, they had considerable knowledge of planetary cultures and biology. While Napa and his mate had taken on the Sontaran advance guard, Raditz had gone to Alpha Centauri to destroy their base while Tomic had headed to Titan. She had been slinking around the base when the Doctor, Jaime and Victoria discovered her.
Having revealed his identity, Tomic was honor bound to help him. And help him she had. She was missing her intended and soon to be mate Raditz, and the attentions of the young warrior Jamie had caught her eye. Even though Saiyans mated for life, they were permitted to take partners or concubines to relieve their sexual needs during ruts, especially prior to their mating. Provided no bonding happened beyond mere copulation.
Tomic bared her fangs and hissed at the Sontaran. Its limbs and solid compact figure were sheathed in shiny, jet-black space suit material. Her tail wrapped tightly around her waist, the one weak point on a Saiyan's body, much like the probic vent on a Sontaran's neck. Both knew the other's weakness well. Her power crackled through her, and she knew it was little use against the Sontaran, for they could absorb Saiyan energy attacks like the power they absorbed for food.
"Surrender, or he dies," gritted the harsh voice. One plastic-clothed arm clenched round Jamie McCrimmon's neck. He struggled valiantly, but it was clear the force was impossible to resist, even in Titan's lesser gravity.
"I didn't think you took prisoners," said Tomic narrowing her eyes. "You'd kill us all anyway."
"A Saiyan warrior here on Titan? I thought you trained monkeys were still under the thumb of that lizard," the Sontaran taunted.
"Your news is outdated Sontaran," Tomic laughed, her fangs baring as her fist crackled with power. Although she ached to throw a blast at him, she knew she didn't wish to destroy the human male. After all, he was much like her, tail or no tail.
"I can see why you Saiyans have such misplaced concern for these weak puny humans. They disturbingly resemble you with their secondary reproductive systems and their hideous features," said the Sontaran.
"As you may have deduced we protect our own interests. This system has no strategic value to the Sontaran Empire. The Saiyan people have given their aid to these humans for they have the capacity to benefit from OUR Arrangements. If you value your freedom you'll release the human whelp now. I don't wish to destroy the budding career of a fellow warrior," said Tomic, chattering to distract the Sergeant. That disruption stunner he wielded could scramble the Highlander's brains in an instant. An instant too long for even her superior reactions to wrest him free. Hazel eyes squinted and blinked as the arm tightened around his throat.
"You have grown soft, Saiyan. I thought you had no desire to protect weak creatures such as these. But I see…"
"Release the human and we'll talk," said Tomic. Suppressing stray emotion, she moved ever closer.
"You do not fear me, female? It is pleasing to see the weaker sex of your warrior people posses the same grit as your males."
"That means little coming from you, Sontaran. Though I respect a fellow warrior's might, I tire of this standoff."
"You speak like a glorified diplomat. Beware, I could soon tire of this verbal exchange."
"But it is so easy to hold a human by the neck. Clearly if your strength is far superior to his, you could overpower him in an instant," said Tomic.
"True. But the weak species must give way to the strong. I thought it was the Saiyan creed to eliminate the weak in favor of the strong."
"You and I agree that his species is physically weaker. But it's hardly worth the waste of your effort to clutch him so. You have my cooperation, if you release hold of him," said Tomic.
"If you provide strategic information about this base, and its importance to Earth, I may consider your offer."
"Dinnae believe him, lass," Jamie croaked, his mouth opening and shutting like a gasping fish on land.
"If he dies, I don't talk. That human is of interest to me as a plaything," said Tomic, hand extended.
"I could easily kill you where you stand," said the officer. "Despite your unique powers of energy this level is sufficient to destroy even your power. And your levels are but that of a Third Class, hardly an Elite."
"I've heard Sontarans are logically dedicated to the science of war as we Saiyan are. You hold a grudging respect for us. And still you resort to such fool means to get my attention?"
"I will admit that your planet has offered stern resistance against our might."
"I reckon my strength is not equal to yours," said Tomic. "But a gun is hardly an entertaining way of testing it. Being a scientist, I suggest an experiment. I challenge you to test your strength in comparison to my own . . . one on one."
"What, a Third Class? Challenge the might of a Sontaran warrior? And a female Third Class. If you were an Elite I might consider it?"
"Hiding behind preconceptions, are we?" she snapped. "I've not been insulted like this in years! So easy it is to assume a battle is won before you fight it. Where is the challenge in word games . . . "
"I tire of this game," gritted the Sergeant. "I don't fear anything."
"Good. Then I demand the Rite of Satisfaction."
"Ordinarily that would be out of the question. But I cannot ignore tradition. Very well. This primitive is hardly strong enough to offer resistance . . . "
So saying, he hurled Jamie out from under his arm. With a sickening smack, Jamie tumbled right into the wall. Tomic winced as she saw the blood oozing from his nose. Only the gun trained on him kept him from springing to the defense of the Saiyan geologist.
Narrowing her eyes, she slowly circled her hands. They crackled with purple energies. The Sontaran sheathed his gun, then withdrew a small, six-inch rod. A touch to its middle, and it telescoped into a full-length staff. "This should prove amusing. You really dare challenge me, female."
"I am not just at 'female,' sir. You would do well not to underestimate a Third Class."
"I am trained in Sontaran martial arts. So be very aware of what you're facing," he laughed.
"A Saiyan warrior of ANY rank is not easily dissuaded. Even if you can resist my powers," said Tomic. "Doubtless you have heard of us..."
"Ye cannae mean this, lassie!" protested Jamie, pushing himself to sit. "He'll slaughter ye!"
"Silence, primitive," snapped the Sergeant. "One touch to just the right place will stun you where you lay, as effectively as a blaster. I will not be denied the pleasure of even this small exercise."
Two figures circled. Parentheses sandwiching ten feet of space, the Saiyan Third Class and the Sontaran Elite soldier hunched over. Hissing through a slit mouth, the Sergeant advanced first. To Jamie's astonishment the Saiyan blocked the blow, and parleyed it. She hurled a powerful ball of energy towards him, only to have him dodge it easily. Sergeant Stonnar whirled. Vertical, the staff end swung downwards.
Tomic blocked the blow with her gauntlet wrist. For a tense moment, Stonnar pushed down. Snarling, the Saiyan third class genuflected on one bent knee. Then, with gritted teeth she pressed her back leg firmly into the ground. Beneath she levered herself upwards and then punched upwards with her other fist. How could she have such unusual strength? The Sontaran may have trained extensively, but she was smaller, and faster.
"Impressive," snarled Stonnar. "I know you're only holding back because you worry about destroying this fragile human colony. One stray blast would cause explosive decompression, and vent the poisonous atmosphere outside and asphyxiate the very humans you try to protect."
Jamie marveled at the gleam in Tomic brown eyes. Almost primal anger sparkled there. Blow for blow she met Stonnar. Fists crashed against the epaulette battle staff. Back and forth they traded their blows and parleys. She zipped out of view as their blows increased, moving far faster. Stonnar reached down and touched his hyper burst motivator to increase his reaction times to compensate for the Saiyan burst mode.
Until a fast jab slashed her cheek. Stonnar followed with a brutal slash and jab of his rod into her neck then slammed his fist into her chest. The Jacobite winced along with her as he imagined that smarting sting she must be sensing in her bruised fingers. One good kick from the Sontaran hurled her into a far wall.
"Submit now, and I may spare your life," Stonnar hissed.
"Don't insult me, fool!" huffed Tomic. "Atomic Blast!"
Purple energies surged, and she generated a beam that slammed into his massive trunk and pushing him backwards. Laughing he reached down and pulled off his glove, drawing the energy into his body. She broke the beam instantly feeling him draining it like it was nothing.
"Your foolishness, Saiyan. I can absorb any attack you hurl at me," he laughed. Now recovered, Stonnar twisted the base of his staff. Spikes now protruded from each end. And he whirled the implement twice round his head like some demented majorette before bringing it level with one point towards the warrior. She rolled to her feet and then generated a series of small spheres. Each whizzed around her like a cluster of flies. Despite this, red eyes gleamed as he jabbed the air inches before her, struggling to knock out each orbiting sphere. Tomic ducked as each swing arched closer. Jamie couldn't believe it. That Sassenach monster was enjoying this!
Rolling over, Jamie pushed himself off the wall. His head spun. That blow still knocked the strength out of him. Yet he couldn't stand by and let her be beaten to death. She had no weapon. Even her powers were absorbed like they were nothing. Instinctively he reached at his side, unsheathing his dirk. Stonnar was too close for him to throw it. Even if he could, where was the chink in the space armor?
From somewhere inside he channeled his anger. Now Stonnar's back faced him.
Creag au tuire! he cried, charging with his upraised dirk. Only to stab air foolishly as Stonnar whirled round too fast. Sharp pain erupted in the pit of his stomach.
However, the one-second delay was all Tomic needed. Clasping fists together, she generated a ki blast that pummeled the backs of Stonnar's knees. For a second he reeled, and struggled to regain balance. Lower Titan gravity had some impact.
Tomic hurled blasts of ki towards him, knocking him off balance. Stonnar recovered at the last moment. From booted foot to booted foot Tomic shifted her weight. While she dodged Stonnar's blows, she wasted energy countering each one.
"Atomic Blast!" she screamed, and hurled another blast. Stonnar's surprise gave her enough time to grab hold of his staff. Whirling it around he deflected the ki sphere that went surging into the far wall. It exploded, showering them with bits of rubble.
"You don't dare use your full power. It would explode and decompress this fragile structure. You might survive, but the humans will die, Saiyan," said Stonnar.
"Drek," Tomic grumbled.
Jamie huddled in a fetal position against one wall. He hugged his knees to his stomach. Angrily he cursed his paralysis. Through a red miasma Jamie saw them, blasts at low intensity being diverted by his whirling staff.
"Yield, Saiyan!"
"Never," she snapped. Something gave way, and the staff snapped into pieces in their combined grasps. Both flew backward with the inertia. With all her force she cannoned forwards and shoulder rammed him. Stonnar's hands went straight for her neck mere seconds later. Her small hands clutched at his wrists. "You Saiyans are one of the few races worth conquering," he said, triumphantly compressing her windpipe.
"Thanks, but not thanks," she gurgled. Bringing both arms above her head, she bashed her fists down on his forearms. Next she kicked savagely at his knees.
Snarling, he threw her off. She sailed nearly twenty feet away, crashing into the wall. Slowly she pushed up from the rocking floor. Lifting her head, she rolled up her eyes to stare at the Sontaran.
"So, it ends," leered Stonnar. He reached for his gun. "You fought well, Saiyan. But not well enough. Prepare to die."
"You'd kill me?" she growled, pushing hair out of her eyes. Without letting me fight to the death? With a gun? Coward."
"You forget. In the Rite of Satisfaction, a Sontaran takes no prisoners. And in such personal challenges, I always fight to the death. You Corporal Tomic of Napa's elite Mercenary squad of the Saiyan empire, will have the honor of dying at the hands of Sergeant Stonnar, of the 21st Interstellar Assessment group."
Forgotten, Jamie realized he was only five feet from her. He could not move from where he lay. There was no time. Not for him.
"Jamie!" she cried. Then shouted something in a language Stonnar's lingua computer couldn't translate. Her scouter had worked out the syllables of his language long ago, and the language was easy for her race to learn.
"Tomic!" he shouted, surprised. In his hands he still clutched his dirk. Equally strange phrases spouted from his lips as he suddenly understood.
Stonnar's eyes flicked from Highlander to Saiyan. He watched a gleaming object scoot across the floor. Desperately Jamie locked his arms around Stonnar's ankles before he could lunge. This time, the Sontaran toppled like a bowling pin.
Small fingertips closed round a bone handle. The Saiyan female shouted in that same weird sounding language. Snarling again, Stonnar rolled over and kicked savagely at Jamie's chest. But not before Tomic lunged. Stonnar's last few seconds consisted of a sharp pain at the back of his neck thrust hard by a gauntlet hand. And the infinite triumph in a pair of brown eyes.
"I choose to live," she said quietly. Sweat and green Sontaran blood speckled her face. Raising her hand, she flipped forefinger and middle upwards in a gesture Napa had taught her. Purple lightening snaked over the Sontaran's body. It glowed for a moment before disintegrating into black dust. Nothing remained of the Sontaran but a small pile of smoking cinders.
"I believe this . . . belongs . . . to you," she gasped, holding out the dirk in her other hand. Painfully she pulled herself on her arms to Jamie's side.
"How did ye ken . . . tha was the place?" Jamie asked.
"The probic vent . . . their only vulnerable spot," she huffed. "It's where . . . they absorb their power. I dared not use my blasts in here because it would destroy this base, and the bastard knew it."
"Are ye . . . all right . . . lassie?" he huffed, placing one hand against his stomach. Head next to her knees, he lay on his right side, too pained to move.
"I should ask you," she said.
"That was a stupid thing t' do," he scolded. "He cuild ha' killed ye!"
"Looks like that from here. He could have broken your rib cage with just one kick," said Tomic. "You have a nasty couple of bruises."
"Och, I'm all right," he said. That trickle of blood crept from the corner of his mouth.
"We'll see about that," she muttered. Firmly she took his head and shoulders onto her knees. The Saiyan slowly dabbed at his blood with a small cloth she pulled out of her boot. Such a soft touch from a person who'd fought off a Sontaran mere minutes before was surprising. Jamie was too weak to protest.
"By the way, thanks for letting me borrow this," she said. Carefully she cleaned the dirk's blade on her spandex leggings before she handed the weapon back to the Highlander.
"I cuildnae jest sit back and let him kill ye, lassie," he said, looking up into her scouter lens. In its convex surface he saw his image faintly mirrored. He did look worse for wear. "Even though ye were holding yair own. How' . . . "
"Like Sontarans, we Saiyans are from a high gravity world. I am from a world called Vejitasei, where the inhabitants resemble your people, but we are used to gravity ten times of your world. His strength's for load bearing, like mine. I knew I had a better chance than you did. Even though you are a brave fighter, James."
"When I see a lass in danger, I cannae help but rescue her . . . "
"I'm hardly a lass," she laughed. "But I'm flattered, all the same."
"Whatever do ye maun?"
"That's not important. We must get you some first aid. Can you move?"
"Aye. Jest watch me," he gasped, slowly trying to sit up.
"But did he hurt ye at all?" Jamie breathed.
"Only winged me. Takes more than a punch drunk Sontaran to take me out. I'm fatigued because he drained much of my energy. And I'm famished," said Tomic with a grin.
Her white teeth were sharp, particularly the pronounced canines that gave her a feral look. He stole a glimpse at the furry band around her waist, wondering what it was. The Doctor had said that it was a tail. Saiyans wrapped them around their waists to keep them from being squeezed or pulled. Just like the Sontarans, Saiyans had a weak point.
Jamie felt confused. Most of the time he'd rushed to the rescue of some screaming woman or girl. Now the roles were reversed. Clearly she'd fought to save him. So he didn't know how to react. Such brazenness mixed with such sudden tenderness felt uncomfortable. Grasping her hand, he struggled to his feet. Just their fingers touched. As before, Jamie felt that strange tingling sensation shoot up his arm. Somehow the pain in his stomach was lessened.