Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ Rose and Nine The Inbetweens and backstories ❯ Chapter Sixteen ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Kyoto, Japan.

Muromachi Period 1336.

Rose entered the console room, having come from the clothing department that the Doctor called the wardrobe. The Doctor and Jack turned to look, and their mouths fell open.

 

`Have I put all this on right,' she asked, holding her arms out so that the voluminous sleeves hung down. `The instructions said that the belt thing has to dangle down the back in Kyoto.'

 

She was dressed in a traditional Kimono of the Muromachi period, and the `belt thing', the obi, was a wide sash around her middle. She wore bright red lipstick, and her pale complexion meant that she didn't need the white face powder, that was common among the women of this period. Her blonde hair was styled up on her head in an imitation of the traditional style.

 

`Oh wow!' Jack said, giving her a wolf whistle as she did a turn.

 

The Doctor gave her an appreciative smile. `You look beautiful, and that blonde hair will make you the talk of Kyoto.'

 

`You don't look half bad yourself,' Rose replied. They'd been to the wardrobe and managed to dress quickly, wearing the male montsuki version of the kimono, which was black, with a haori half coat, and a culotte-like hakama.

 

None of them were wearing the traditional geta sandals, opting instead to wear their trainers, just in case.

 

`Now, remember, this is feudal Japan, and etiquette is everything, so remember to bow. We are going to meet General Ashikaga Takauji, one of the main players in Kyoto.'

 

`Will it be safe with all those Samurai around, carryin' those sharp swords?' Rose asked.

 

`Very,' the Doctor said. `They have a code of conduct, and do not use their swords lightly. In fact the Samurai are very cultured and enjoy all the arts.'

 

`I can't wait to meet the geisha's,' Jack said with a wicked grin.

 

The Doctor started to chuckle as though he'd heard a private joke. `You do that Jack, just don't get us all arrested.' He tried to contain his laughter as he said, `Just remember to bow,' and burst out laughing again.

 

`O-kay,' Jack said, looking puzzled. `Are we ready then?'

 

Rose trotted to the Doctor in her kimono and whispered in his ear. `What's so funny?'

 

The Doctor looked at her with mirth. `Geisha literally translates as `performing artist'; you'll notice it doesn't specify what sex the artist is.'

 

`But geisha are women, right?'

 

`In this period, they are more commonly called taikomochi, or `jester', and are male. It wasn't until the 1700's that the onna geisha or female artist first appeared.'

 

`So that means that . . .' Rose exploded in a fit of giggles. `Knowing Jack, he'll adapt.'

 

Arm in arm, they set off down the ramp to join Jack at the doors, where Jack opened the one side and stepped outside.

 

The TARDIS had landed in a courtyard garden of a Zen temple, where an old, grey haired, puzzled looking gardener/monk was looking at them. Rose was looking around at the beautiful, traditional architecture.

 

`Oh this is beautiful,' she breathed.

 

The Doctor walked up to the monk and bowed. `Greetings kind sir, please forgive the intrusion into your sanctuary. We are travellers from afar, visiting your beautiful city, and are searching for the esteemed General Ashikaga Takauji.'

 

`Good day to you all, you have an interesting shrine there,' he said with a smile. `General Takauji will be in his residence at the barracks.'

 

`Thank you kind sir,' the Doctor said, as he bowed again.

 

They passed through the ornate archway, and walked down the main road of the city, towards the barracks. Rose's blonde hair, and their European features caused a number of curious looks from local residents who were out and about on this pleasant, spring morning.

 

`So tell me, why are we here, in 14th century Kyoto?' Rose asked, as she bowed politely to an elderly woman who was looking at her blonde hair in amazement.

 

`Swordsmanship,' he said simply. `Every so often I get feelings, urges to do something. I've learnt to take notice of these feelings, because they are usually essential to my continued survival.'

 

`And you feel the need to learn how to use a sword?' Jack asked suspiciously. From what he'd seen of the Doctor so far, he seemed to be more of a pacifist, than a warrior, and he was right, for this incarnation. If he'd have met him a few months ago, he would have seen a man who was as ruthless as any Japanese shogun.

 

`I already know how to use a sword, I've had lessons from some of the best swordsmen in Europe, broadsword, sabre, foil, but the samurai, they've taken swordsmanship and turned it into an art form.'

 

At the gates to the barracks, two soldiers stood guard in the traditional samurai armour, made from lacquered leather, and wearing iron kabuto helmets. They each held a naginata, a glaive like weapon, which consisted of a pole with a curved blade mounted on top.

The Doctor approached the guards, who were regarding them with suspicion due to their non Japanese features. `Hello, I'm Ishi, and this is RÅzu and Jakku,' he said with a bow, indicating Rose and Jack with a sweep of his arms.

`Ishi who?' one of the guards asked.

`Just Ishi,' he replied in his usual, cheerful manner. `Zen master and intellectual MusÅ SosekiI tells me that General Takauji keeps his cool in battle and is not afraid of death,

that he is merciful and tolerant, and that he is very generous with those below him. I have come a long way in the hope of studying kenjutsu under such a man.'

`I will speak with the general,' one of the guards said, giving a curt bow, the Doctor returned the bow.

The compliment and praise lavished on the general had the desired effect. The guard returned and escorted the group to the general's house, which was of the typical wood and paper construction. In a room, that would probably be called the living room in a western house, an impressive man sat crossed legged on cushions.

Ashikaga stood and bowed to his guests. `Ishi, you honour me with your wish to study under me,' he said with a warm smile. He had shoulder length black hair, with a moustache and goatee beard. His eyes were dark, but full of warmth and humour.

`And this must be RÅzu, your “one who remains at home”. My lady, you have a rare beauty, the likes of which my eyes have not seen before.'

`Thank you sir,' Rose said with a bow. She made a mental note to ask the Doctor what `one who remains at home' meant. The TARDIS had obviously translated it literally, and she had a feeling she wasn't going to like it.

`Is Jakku your servant or bodyguard,' Ashikaga asked.

Jack gave a laugh as he bowed. `They wish; I'm a friend and travelling companion.'

`So, Doct…, er, Ishi, what do me an' Jack do while you're tryin' to chop each other to pieces?' Rose asked.

`You can call me Doctor, Ishi is Japanese for doctor, and you can go shopping if you want to.'

Rose's face lit up. `Shoppin', really? Brilliant!'

`And I presume you have some good taverns in Kyoto?' Jack asked the general.

Ashikaga gave a single laugh. `We do indeed, I will assign one of my lieutenants to escort you and show you around. He will also deter unwanted attention; we don't see many foreigners in Kyoto.'

`Thank you general, that will allow me to not worry about RÅzu, and focus on the training.' He turned to Rose and Jack, gave them a cheeky grin, and bowed. `See you two later then, and Jack . . . stay out of trouble.'

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Ashikaga led the Doctor to the dojo, the training hall where the soldiers practiced their fighting skills. When they entered the dojo, the soldiers stopped and bowed respectfully to their commander.

`Carry on with your practice,' he said, returning the bow. He went over to a rack by the wall, and selected two wooden swords.

`These are bokutÅ, and will allow us to practice tactics without causing serious injury. Have you any experience with the sword?'

`Yes, two handed and single,' the Doctor replied.

`Excellent; that gives me something to work with.'

He handed the Doctor one of the bokutÅ and moved to a clear area of the dojo. They bowed to each other and took their fighting stances. Ashikaga started to correct the Doctor's stance and footwork, improving his balance and manoeuvrability.

They then started to trade blows.

`CLACK', `CLACK', `CLACK'.

The black oak swords swung around in attack and defence, as both men tried to get the advantage.

`That is very good Ishi, you have been taught well. However, I sense much thought in what you do. In combat, samurai live in the moment, they do not think about victory or defeat, they do not think at all, they become one with the sword, and the sword leads their actions.'

“Live in the moment?” the Doctor thought, “I can do that, better than any human”. He was remembering the engine room on Platform One, where he had moved outside of time to pass through a rotating fan.

He took his fighting stance again and smiled at Ashikaga. His intense, blue eyes had an other-worldly look about them, before he closed them.

Ashikaga was ready, but puzzled; what was this foreigner doing?

He suddenly got his answer, as the Doctor started the training session again, this time with his eyes closed.

`CLACK', `CLACK', `CLACK' . . . `CLACKITY-CLACKITY-CLACK'.

The rest of the dojo stopped their training to watch the spectacle, as their general fought a man who apparently had his eyes closed. This level of skill was rarely seen, and never to this degree. The two men stopped, and the Doctor opened his eyes and smiled at Ashikaga, who was wide eyed in amazement and admiration.

`Extraordinary! You are certainly a quick learner Ishi. I wonder how far your skill extends; do you think you could tackle more than one opponent?'

The Doctor looked around the dojo at the other men. `Let's find out. If we start with one extra, and then add more as you see fit, I think that would be a good test.'

`Very well,' Ashikaga said. He looked around the room, until he saw who he was looking for, one of his lieutenants, who he knew was an excellent swordsman. He nodded to him, and the young man stepped forward. The three men bowed, took their ready positions, and the Doctor closed his eyes, his face becoming a mask of calmness.

`CLACKITY-CLACKITY-CLACK'. The training started, and strike after strike was blocked or parried. Ashikaga nodded to another man, who joined in, then another, and another. The Doctor's brow started to furrow as his mask of calmness started to fade.

`You are thinking again Ishi, your sword knows what to do, trust it, it will not fail you,' Ashikaga encouraged.

His brow un-furrowed, and instead of a mask of calmness, it went deeper, his face became serene, tranquil. Ashikaga was reminded of moonlight dancing on the surface of a midnight lake. There was a point where all five of them paused, and the Doctor lowered his bokutÅ. He straightened up and opened his eyes, turning to smile at the astonished men around him. Each in turn bowed deep and reverently to this master of the sword.

`Thank you Ash that has been very helpful. I don't know why, or when, but I am sure that will come in useful very soon,' the Doctor said with a smile.

`It has been an honour to train with such an accomplished master of the sword.' Ashikaga bowed deep, and the Doctor reciprocated.

`Now, let's have some tea,' the Doctor said cheerfully. `I take it you have someone who knows the ceremony.'

Ashikaga laughed and slapped him on the back. `Of course, she who remains at home, my wife is very skilful.'

Back in the living room, the Doctor was kneeling at a low table opposite Ashikaga. A woman, dressed in the same fashion as Rose, entered with a tray and placed it on the table. The Doctor bowed to her respectfully, and she proceeded to perform the ritual tea ceremony.

When the ceremony was over, and the tea poured, they knelt there drinking the flowery tea, whilst discussing the in's and out's of various styles of swordsmanship. The Doctor had just finished his tea, when one of the guards from the gate, hurried apologetically into the room.

`General, forgive my intrusion,' he said breathlessly, he'd obviously been running. `There has been some trouble at a tavern in the town.'

“Jack!” the Doctor thought immediately. He may be wrong, and he would apologise to Jack later if he was, but…, well, Jack was Jack. He rose with Ashikaga and headed quickly for the door. They hurried across the courtyard of the barracks and through the gates.

The first thing he saw, that made him laugh, was Rose, with her kimono hitched up around her thighs. He took a moment to admire those young, fit thighs as they pumped away as hard as they could.

The second thing was even funnier. Jack had his montsuki held up between his legs like an oversized nappy, and he was on the heels of Rose as they ran up the road towards him.

The Doctor knew a quick exit when he saw one, and he was looking at one right now. He turned to Ashikaga and grinned. `It has been a pleasure training with you Ash, and I get the feeling that if we leave now, I can save you some embarrassment. Goodbye and thank you.'

His timing was perfect; he bowed to Ashikaga, turned, and started to run just as Rose and Jack passed him. Ashikaga looked on in speechless, amused, astonishment.

`Do you want to tell me why I'm running?' the Doctor asked Jack with a grin.

Jack was breathless. `I only said `hello' to one of the serving girls,' he said, looking over his shoulder at the mob of locals who were shaking their fists, sticks, and disturbingly, some swords.

They skidded quickly into the tranquil grounds of the Zen temple, which was about to become a whole lot less tranquil, and rushed to the TARDIS.

`To be fair though,' Rose gasped as the Doctor put his key in the lock. `Sayin' hello wasn't the problem.'

The door burst open and they fell forwards on to the floor grating in fits of laughter. They heard the muffled "thump" and "oof" of bodies hitting the TARDIS door, followed by `get off' and 'you're crushing me', as other bodies pushed forward.

`So what exactly WAS the problem?' the Doctor asked with raised eyebrows, talking like a headmaster to a disruptive pupil.

`Oh let me,' Rose said with a giggle, her eyes sparkling with mirth. `Y'know what it's like when lads get the ale down their necks an' start chattin'? Well, Jack just happened to brag that he wouldn't mind beddin' a couple a geishas, if ya know what I mean?' She tapped the side of her nose and winked in an imitation of Jack.

`What's so wrong with that?' Jack asked in all innocence.

The Doctor and Rose just looked at each other, and suddenly exploded into fits of uncontrollable laughter. With tears in their eyes, they picked themselves up off the floor and headed for the console. The Doctor started up the Time Rotor, before they all went to get changed.

The Doctor returned to the console room wearing his usual "man in black" outfit with the "cool" leather jacket, while Jack was wearing jeans and T-shirt. Rose appeared a short while afterwards, wearing black trousers, and a dark pink zip up top with "Punky Fish" on the back, over a white vest top.

Jack was still a bit miffed that they hadn't told him about geishas being male in the fourteenth century; he'd have been a lot more subtle if he'd have known, and they wouldn't have been run out of town by a lynch mob.

The Doctor and Rose were still laughing about that, and Jack finally gave up trying to be annoyed at them and laughed himself, it would be just the kind of stunt he would pull himself. As they laughed together, the walls of the TARDIS seemed to get brighter, and the Doctor, Rose, and Jack seemed to drift away from each other, without actually moving.