Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What's that smell? ❯ chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Son Pan sighed in annoyance as she waited outside her best friends room. She tapped her foot and once again knocked on the door separating her from Bra's room.

Pan: BRA! Hurry up already! We're going to miss the movie.

Pan smirked as a frustrated growl came from the room in question. Bra could be just like her father sometimes. Which…now that Pan thought about could be scary.

Ya she could just imagine Bra arms crossed as she leaned up against a wall. That damn classic frown on her face her blue eyes flashing.

Oh boy…

Pan shook that image from her head before it made her laugh.

The door opened suddenly. Pan took a step back and crossed her arms. They were going to be late.

Bra: Pan-Chan. Give me a moment. I can't find my necklace!

Pan rolled her eyes.

Bra: It was in my room last I saw it.

Before Pan could stop her Bra ran down the hall in search of the missing jewelry. Pan closed her eyes and counted to 10…ok then she counted to 20. Bra could be such an airhead at times. Now they would have to catch the late movie, which would make her getting home late…which in turn would get her grounded.

And all of this headache because of a stupid necklace.

Pan grumbling ran to catch up.

Bra: I think I know where it is. Mom was wearing yesterday. And mom was down in the lab yesterday.

Pan: So?

Bra: Duh! Mom has to take all her jewelry off when she's working. You know something could get catch in the machinery or like she could get electrocuted. I'm betting she left it down in the lab.

Pan grimaced. She didn't want to go to the lab. It was freaky down there. I made her feel like she was in an evil scientist's clutches or something.

Bra smiled radiantly and opened the door. Without a thought she made her way down the long and dark staircase. After a few steps Bra turned around. Pan she noticed had made no move to follow her.

Bra: What Pan-chan? Afraid of the dark?

Pan immediately bristled. She was a great warrior! She was the savior (well kind of) of the world and universe. She had fought monsters from a thousand light years away on totally different worlds and survived to become stronger! She was not afraid of the dark!

To prove that she wasn't she thrusted her chin into the air and without a word followed Bra into the lab.

Bra: AAHHH!

Pan jumped her heart racing.

Bra: Stupid Trunks. He left his capsules here AGAIN!

Bra picked up the small capsule case with a large Casp. Corp. symbol on the front and stuffed into her jacket. Pan waited as her heart started to slow down. And took the moment to notice Bra's clothing.

As always she wore only the best, latest and most fashionable cloths. That being a beautiful leather jacket with…err…some sort of fur trimming on the collar. Underneath she wore a black silk knee length dress. Pan thanked Kami that longer skirts were in style now. She always felt uncomfortable in her very tomboyish clothing around Bra. Especially when Bra showed everything off to the world. Bra couldn't help but attract boys when she wore that stuff…and thus in the end Pan was totality ignored while Bra fended them off.

She didn't mean to do it…and she was always quick to send them on their way. But it made Pan…

Pan narrowed her eyes…it made her what? Jealous? That didn't seem right. Pan wasn't jealous of the attention Bra got. It wasn't like Pan herself wasn't beautiful. She just chose to wear things that didn't attract attention. Nor did she wear make up or style her hair.

She was a tomboy it was to be expected.

So what was the problem then?

Pan stuffed the thought back for later thought.

Bra: Now I'm going to have to stop by the office and give them to him!

Pan sighed…so much for the late movie. Well maybe they could get something to eat and hang out.

Suddenly Bra brightened up again.

Bra: Pan you want to see something.

No not really. Pan just wanted to get out of this creepy place. Of course she couldn't let Bra know that. She would tease her for weeks.

Pan: I guess.

Bra grabbed her hand and expertly made her way though the maze of machinery.

Bra: its Mom's latest invention. I helped her with it.

Pan nodded as Bra shined with pride. Poor Bra…she would never be as smart as Bulma or Trunks but she tried to be. How often did she tell Pan or her numerous boyfriends that she had to study or help Mom in the lab? More times than Pan could count.

She tried so hard…but always lacked. Not that she wasn't smart. Far from it, if it came down to a test of wits then Pan would lose to her horribly. It was just Bra didn't have the gift with machinery.

Bra went to the machine and pressed a few buttons. It whirled to life…breathing like some huge monster. Pan took a step back warily.

Something was tingly her senses. Like a forewarning of sorts…it was the instincts her warriors side provided. Something was wrong…not right.

Pan: I think we should leave. I don't like it here.

Bra laughed her beautiful eye twinkling.

Bra: ha I knew you didn't like it down here! You can't hide it from me Pan-Chan.

Pan: BRA! Something doesn't feel right.

Bra frowned. This wasn't like Pan to get so emotional. Maybe they should leave.

After all didn't the warrior types have like a sixth sense?

Bra sighed and reached to turn the machine off.

It was then it happened. Unexpectedly a streak of power arched from the machine into Bra's body. She gasped as pain gripped her body and twisted her insides to mush.

WHAT was happening? This machine shouldn't do this? How could it do this?

She opened her mouth to scream, but she couldn't tell if she was or not past the roaring in her ears. She could clearly see Pan and the look of horror on her face.
Time slowed down, as pain became all she could feel or think. But it didn't slow to the point she didn't see Pan reach out to try and save her.

Bra cursed Pan's stupidity. She would be electrocuted as well. Why didn't she just turn the machine off!

Bra screamed as a white light blinded her.

She knew no more.

Pan slowly opened her eyes…slowly and painfully. What happened?

She remembered reaching out to grab Bra from the grasp of the machine…and then a terrible whiteness that penetrated her to the very core…and then…well she didn't remember anything after that.

Pan lay where she was and waited for the roaring in her ears to go away. She tuned her other senses around her.

She smelled pine trees, dirt, some animals…and Bra.

Feeling strangely calm she forced her body to move. As she sat up she looked around.

The first thing her eyes rested on was Bra's still form. Pan watched as her chest raised and fell with each steady breath. Good she was all right. In fact she didn't look hurt at all.

The next thing Pan did was look around at the forest around them.

So what was that machine…a teleporter or something? Cause they were defiantly not in the lab anymore.

Annoyed Pan stood up and stretched her senses out further. She blinked in surprise at several pretty large ki's that dotted the area. However one thing…well several things was that she couldn't sense anyone else she knew. No Vegeta, or Ubuu…No Goten, no Krillian. She couldn't even sense her mother and Father.

Where the hell was she.

Pan's eyes narrowed. They could be on another planet. And if that was true then they could be in danger. Those large ki's…most weren't dangerous. But some of them could be a problem.

Pan reached into her pocket and withdrew a capsule. She clicked it but didn't throw it to the ground. It poofed into a cloud of smoke and when the smoke cleared Pan firmly gripped the long red wood of Ny-Bo.

Her grandfather had given this to her when she was a little girl. After they adventure into space…but right before…

Pan growled low in her throat. She didn't like to think about that. It still hurt terribly to think about her grandfather. He was gone now…and no amount of tears could bring him back.

Expertly Pan shouldered the powerful weapon and went to Bra.

She slapped the girl gently until she stirred.

Pan: Bra-chan…wake up.

Bra opened her eyes.

Bra: Pan? What happened?

Pan smirked.

Pan: I was hoping you would tell me? We ain't in the lab anymore.

Bra sat up wide-eyed and looked around. Suddenly she gasped.

Bra: I can't feel father? Where are we?

Pan helped Bra to her feet.

Pan: Only one way to find out. Look around.

Bra nodded. She wrapped her arms tightly around herself and pulled her jacket closer. She was kind of scared.

But…Bra reasoned with herself. She was here with Pan-Chan. Pan was like a fighter. And she knew all about the woods and stuff. She did grow up out there in the middle of nowhere. Beside…it wasn't like she was a weakling either.

Bra might not be a full-fledged fighter but she knew the basics.

When she had first started to become (cough) a woman. Her father had made her train with him for a little while. He said he wanted her to be able to protect herself if a man got to friendly.

Bra was by far stronger than a human. Not to mention she knew several ki attacks. So what could possibly happen?

She smiled at the thought…her good mood somewhat restored.

Bra: So where to?

Pan looked around and even sniffed the air.

Pan: I can sense a small village or something about a mile from here. I guess that's our best bet.

Pan started to walk in the direction she had indicated. Bra frowned.

Bra: Do we have to walk?

She would rather much fly. It was easier…and she wouldn't get her dress dirty.

Pan shook her head.

Pan: I don't want to use my ki for that. We need to remain hidden incase anything dangerous here can sense ki. Just to be safe.

Bra sighed…why did she have to make sense.

Bra: Oh all right.

About 10 minutes later Pan stopped right outside of a clearing. She could see the small village. It seemed rather…umm…primitive.

It seemed safe to go…but she wasn't sure how they would be welcomed. She didn't want to cause problems.

Pan sighed…they couldn't just hide in the wood forever.

Pan: Come on Bra.

As they walked into the village Pan was acutely attuned to how quiet it became at their presence. In return it made her jumpy.

What were they staring at? Surely it wasn't just because of their strange cloths.

Suddenly it clicked…and Pan turned to look at Bra more closely.

None of these villagers had Blue hair. In fact…every single on of them had black hair.

They were staring at Bra.

The knowledge made her relax a little.

Suddenly an old woman was in front of her. Pan blinked and took a step back. When Pan said old she meant it. The woman's hair now a shining silver was thin and her shoulder stooped. Her skin was so wrinkled that she reminded Pan of a prune. However despite her body's age her eyes remained alive and fiery. They were a dark brown, clear and intelligent.

The woman studied them closely for a moment…her eyes narrowing and her eyebrows coming together in confusion.

Woman: You are not youkai's?

Pan blinked…what in kami's name was a youkai?

The woman turned to Bra and studied her a moment more. Bra fidgeted under the woman's stern although not harsh gaze.

Woman: But your hair? Are you a Hanyou?

Pan decided perhaps this woman was the one to get a few answers from. She seemed the no nonsense type. Pan cleared her throat.

Pan: Actually we don't know what those words mean? We're…we're travelers from a far away land…and kind of lost.

The woman nodded slowly as if she didn't quite believe them.

Woman: If you do not know what a Youkai is or a Hanyou then you are foolish to travel here. It would be dangerous for two young women such as yourselves.

Pan: We don't have much. But we'll give what we can if you can help us.

The woman sighed and then smiled. It was a real smile and Pan found herself smiling back.

Woman: What kind of woman would I be if I didn't help you? But please I expect nothing in return. Please come to my hut. I will tell you some things about our lands.

The woman started to slowly make her way toward on of the many 'huts' in the village. Pan and Bra followed respectable behind her.

Once Pan was inside she looked around the small dwelling. It was just one room with a fire pit in the middle. The walls seemed to be made of mud and straw, and the roof was straw…or maybe some type of grass.

The woman has several possessions neatly placed on the floor by the walls.

It was primitive but rather…err…cozy. They all sat down around the fire.

Pan: Thank you very much. My name is Son Pan. This is Bra Briefs.

Woman: And I am called Kailian. So traveler Pan and Bra. From what land do you come from? It must be truly far if you have never heard of a Youkai.

Pan: Well actually it may be farther than you can imagine.

Kailian: May? You mean you do not know?

Pan: Yes umm…I don't know how to explain this. But I guess the closest was to say it is we were brought here by…err…magic of a sort.

The woman suddenly nodded as if everything made sense.

Kailian: There was a strange light in the sky not even an hour ago. Well I feel better knowing what caused it. And…do you have the magic to get home?

Pan looked over to Bra. That was a question that she had been wondering as well.

Bra looked down at her lap.

Bra: No…I don't even know how we got here.

Kailian frowned clearly saddened by their troubles.

She sat back and thought for a moment. If magic brought them here perhaps magic could get them back.

Kailian: I do feel for you. What has happened is terrible no matter what land you hale. So I will tell you something that may help. There is a magical jewel called the Shikan No Tama. It is said if you posses the jewel you may wish for one thing, and no matter what that thing maybe it will be granted.

Bra: Wow…sounds just like the dragonsballs back home.

Pan: but there's more to it isn't there?

The woman sighed and nodded her head. The one called Pan was very observant.

Kailian: Yes there is. The jewel for reasons I do not know has been shattered. Pieces of it lay across the land. Many are possessed by dangerous Youkai's. The jewel makes them even stronger.

Bra: So we would have to collect these pieces to get our wish.

Kailian nodded.

Bra jumped up her dazzling smile making the old woman blink as if she had just stared at the sun.

Bra: Don't look so sad. We have a chance. A good one at that.

Pan didn't comment, she remembered the powerful ki's she had felt. This would be hard they were the ones with the jewels.

Bra: PAN. Come one. You're the granddaughter of Son Goku! The greatest fighter there ever was! You're a warrior! And I'm the daughter of Vegeta, Prince of the Saiyjin Race. We can do this!

Kailian suddenly spoke her voice shocked.

Kailian: You are of Royal blood?

Kailian shook her head and smiled.

Kailian: What strange visitors I have welcomed. But I am honored that you have graced my home.

She then bowed low. Pan smiled, storing back the info that being a princess apparently had some importance here.

Pan: No we are honored. And thank you for your help.

Suddenly a scream ripped thought the air. Pan instantly was on her feet.

She sniffed the air…and almost gagged at the stench.

Kailian paled and wobbled to her door.

Kailian: It is that cursed Youkai.

Pan: A Youkai?

Pan stretched out her senses and sighed in relief when it proved to be a rather weak being.

Kailian: Here is your chance for your first shard. That monster than has been terrorizing our village has one!

Pan eyes became suddenly hard. Kailian took an almost frightened step back.

The one called Bra wasn't lying. This woman was a warrior.

Pan: Bra, I'll take care of this.

In a flash Pan was gone.

The monster Iponia smiled as he made a grab at a young and tender piece of flesh.

His many…many legs moved faster than the girl could and he managed to get her. The girl screamed again.

He was Iponia, a Centipede Youkai, and he was hungry.

He lowered his large humanoid head down toward the girl. She continued screaming. But she wouldn't be for long. He would bite that loud head off and drink her blood.

Suddenly he smelled something…something really strange.

Then just as suddenly something smacked him upside the head…hard enough to send him to the ground. Without realizing it he had dropped the girl when he was hit.

The jewel in his chest glowed with power.

He forced his body to get up again. Whatever had him, had hit him harder than he had ever been hit before. Not only that he hadn't even seen what hit him.

Iponia for the first time in his long life felt fear.

What had that strange scent been? It wasn't Youkai…human, or even a hanyou.

He had never smelled anything like it.

Suddenly he caught a flash of red out of the corner of his eye.

He turned and stopped in shock.

It was a girl?

He sniffed…yes this girl was the strange smelling one.

He backed up. The fear of the unknown was strong with him. He took the moment to study the girl. The first thing he noticed was her clothing. She wore a strange top that had even stranger writing on it. Iponia could not read it. She also wore pants…of some sort. They hugged to her thighs showing off there lovely shape. Her black hair was surprisingly short and her face stern. He wondered at her black eyes. Normal humans had brown ones…although somewhere rather dark. Hers were truly black. So black he couldn't see the pupils in them.

As a weapon the woman held a red bo. The way she gripped it told him she also knew how to use it.

He was afraid.

Pan wrinkled her nose in distaste. So this was a Youkai. Strange…he looked like a man centipede. She wondered if they all looked like this or if there were different kinds.

Well she would find out soon enough.

She tried not to smell him. This thing fairly reeked of old blood. He had killed…numerous times. He was evil…and with that jewel in his chest apparently he was more powerful.

Pan narrowed her eyes. She would have to kill him. To protect these people and Kailian.

Her instincts told her he wouldn't stop just because she beat the living crap out of him.

Beside…how else was she going to get the jewel.

Best get this over with.

Pan attacked…

She moved so fast that to the humans that watched she simply disappeared. To the Youkai all he could see was a blur of red.

And suddenly a light.

Pan gathered energy for a ki blast. It would be the easiest way to kill him. Although she would avoid his chest so not to hurt the jewel. She didn't know whether or not it was indestructible.

She fired the blast…and jumped back as it exploded.

Two moments later…the body fell to the ground, and burnt pieces of the youkai head rained down on the stunned villagers.

Pan closed her eyes and prayed to Dende to forgive her. She hated killing. But if she and Bra were to get home…well it was her only choice.

The entire village stared in shook as the black hair girl from afar walked to the easily destroyed monster and took the jewel from its chest.

Bra: Pan!

Pan turned and smiled. She held up the jewel for Bra to see.

Bra: Doesn't look like much?

Pan: No it doesn't…but I can feel a power from it.

Bra: A power hmmm? Do you think we can sense where the others are then? If the others have the same power it could work.

Pan smiled. Bra had once again surprised her with her insight.

They both closed their eyes and mental scanned the area around them.

Bra: I found one!

Pan nodded as she to sensed the strange pulsing power of the jewel.

She frowned as she then felt the power of the one that held it. This one was quiet a bit more powerful.

Well no matter…they needed the jewels so they would gather the jewels.