Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction / Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Urbania ❯ Valiant Struggles ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Taking the pointed end of a parting comb in she found in her vanity drawer, Serena worked it around as quietly and as quickly as she could. She learned this skill from being locked in her room at her mistress' and picking the lock to sneak into the kitchen where the servant girl would spare her leftover supper. The thought of her lessons filled her heart with grief and it was heavy in her heaving chest. Now, of course, she wanted to go back to her lessons, and she was so sorry she'd run away. She pushed herself quietly up the stairs, and suddenly, there was a pep in her step-she realized there was someone remotely close that could help her: a frequent client of her mistress, Trieze Khushrenada, his sister Geneva Une, and their uncle Mr. Dermail. She knew the way to their residence from where she was; the mistress had often allowed her to accompany her on the perilous journey across the city, constantly checked by Hunters, harassed by men out shopping for a good whore. She vaguely remembered seeing this building, which now was more of a prison than a dwelling. She couldn't have been more than a half-mile from the residence, and another five miles from home. She turned the handle on the door that led to the small, firearm filled room. It was unlocked. She pocketed her comb and went in.

It was empty, by her luck. She didn't waste any time getting to the last thing that stood between her and freedom, the door that Heero and Duo and Wufei forced her through at gunpoint. The thought of Heero singed her heart with sorrow for poor Relena. Relena would definitely be the first she would liberate….somehow. Serena took hold of the doorknob and stopped, looking over her shoulder at the wall of firearms behind her. She didn't have the faintest clue how to work one of those suckers, but the sight of one of the bigger ones would keep a few off her back. She released the doorknob and went for one rifle as long as her back. It was fairly lightweight, considering its size. She pushed the thing back that she'd seen Heero push back. She saw the trigger. She could get to Trieze. Serena threw the rifle over her shoulder and opened the door and stepped out.

The fresh air hit Serena like a tornado would devastate a small building. She realized the air in the dwelling was musty and stale for the first time: she was so scared, she hadn't noticed it, and when she finally had time to, she was used to it. But the fresh air was so fresh. It smelled like freedom. There was no time. She had to save herself-and Relena. She jogged down the steps, taking two at a time, feeling the joy seem into her body and energize her. Then two men rounded the corner and looked dead into her face. Serena halted in her tracks.

If Serena was had been (or was ever going to be) more obedient, she would have recognized the two as Ryo's associates and two of his best friends Sage and Rowen. They eyed her suspiciously.

"Hey, chick," the blonde said, "where ya going?"

Serena was totally unprepared for the possibility of actually being caught. She didn't even think about the rifle slung over her trembling shoulder.

"Ain't you Ryo's girl?" the navy-haired one inquired. Serena didn't move or speak. Both of the men realized that she was. They started up the stairs to her.

"Get back in there," Sage ordered. Serena turned and made half a move to run back inside, but Rowen grasped her arm, and they escorted her back in.

Heero had just returned to the table in clean clothes and most everyone else was finished with dinner and nibbling at dessert. There was a knock at the door to the dining hall.

"Come in," Ryo called, knowing that only guests knock. Sage stepped in.

"Hey buddy," Ryo greeted, genuinely happy to see his friend, "want some cheesecake?"

"No thanks, bud, but, uh, is this yours?"

Rowen stepped in, pulling Serena in with him. Ryo's expression was totally blank.

"Where was she?"

"Outside," Rowen answered, "We found her on the side steps, looking like she was headin' somewhere."

"Would everyone excuse us please?" Ryo requested softly. Everyone stood up from the table. Sage and Rowen exited and Serena started to follow them.

"Not you, woman!" Ryo yelled at her. She stopped, and the crowd diffused from around her. Serena faced Ryo.

For a second, he just swished the wine around in his glass. Then he looked at her, trying not to lose his cool.

"What is your name?"

"I don't have one."

Ryo looked angry. "How dare you…"

"I don't have a name, I swear."

"Then I will choose one for you."

"May I choose my own?"

Ryo didn't say yes or no. He just looked at her. He'd had several women that weren't named, but this is the first that dared ask to pick her own name. Not feeling any particular anger, Ryo answered softly, "And what name would you pick?"

"Serena."
"That's your real name, isn't it?"

"No. I heard it once, and I thought it was beautiful. Please call me Serena."

"Ok, Serena," Ryo put his glass down and folded his hands in his lap. "Do you want to live or do you want to die?"

Serena hesitated, half-knowing that if she picked death, he would give it to her, and painfully. She did no want to die here.

"I want to live."

"Very well then. You want to live. Do you want to live happily or do you want to live miserably?"

"So long as I am here, I will live miserably."

Ryo slammed his hand on the table. "If you keep that nasty attitude, the hell you won't be miserable. But let's get one thing strait: I own you. You cost me five thousand dollars-"

"I didn't ask you to buy me-"

Ryo got right up and took his hand across her face, not hard enough to knock her down, but too hard not to cry out.

"Don't you ever speak to me like that again! I am your owner, and if you don't learn to respect me and treat me like a slave should, that five thousand will go down the drain because I am within my rights to kill you!"

Serena looked at him, hurt and angry. "You don't own me. I own me."

Ryo stood still. He held a rage nothing could console, except getting his five thousand dollars' worth, and getting it good.

"Go to your room," he uttered angrily. Serena didn't talk back. She turned and left the room.

Serena sat on the bed, contemplating Relena. She was submissive, so mousy. She was the complete opposite of Serena. She acted like Heero was God and the devil and had the capacity to worse things than just destroy her. She lived in fear of him day and night. Serena would die if she became like Relena. The door opened. Serena looked up. Ryo came in with Duo, Wufei, and Heero. Ryo's escorts picked three different corners of the room and took them like posts. Ryo stood by the bed with an authoritative stance. "Take your clothes off."

Serena didn't think she'd heard right. "Excuse me?" she asked, looking around the room at the three that gazed at her with unwavering distrust.

"Take off your clothes." Ryo repeated. Serena was abashed.

"No," she said firmly. Ryo smiled, not a happy smile, the kind of smile you smile when you're so frustrated, you just feel like stabbing someone. Ryo made a gesture to Heero. Heero charged his rifle and pointed it at her.

"Take off your clothes," Ryo growled slowly.

"Shoot me," Serena insisted, looking down the barrel of Heero's rifle. Ryo turned to Heero and opened his mouth with a question on his face.

"Five thousand dollars," Heero reminded. Ryo gave him a thumbs-up

"Gotcha," Ryo agreed. Ryo pulled his shirt over his head and got in the bed, grasping Serena's shirt and ripping it from her body. Serena shrieked and her arms folded over her chest to conceal her bra.

"Take it off!" Ryo yelled, Heero shooting the ceiling. Serena gasped and slid her pants off, revealing the thong Relena had given her from Ryo.

"Much better," Ryo approved, leaning over and kissing her neck. She leaned away. She felt Wufei staring right through her.

"You're going to force me to have sex with you, aren't you?"

"It would be nice if you just went with the flow, but probably." That did it. Serena lunged away, but not fast enough, and Ryo grabbed her arm and wrestled her down. Serena screamed and thrashed and kicked Ryo in his jaw. Ryo jumped back, holding his face, and Serena tried to push past him, but he took her waist and wrestled her down again. She kept screaming.

"Help me! Help, please! Ahhh!"

Ryo pulled something from beneath a pillow and thrust it into her side. An electric shock surged through her body and she released a high-pitched screech and the world spun. She nauseated. She still struggled, heaving and crying. Got to get away, go to fight, can't give up, God, please, don't let me give up…the same shock hit her again and she the world was darker and colder than it had ever been up to that point.

Serena woke up what felt like a few minutes later. She breathed gently, her skin tingling. She opened her eyes wide. What happened? Was it a dream? Or was it real? She slowly moved her hand to the top of the sheet and lifted the sheet slightly. She looked down. Her eyes told her she was naked. She gasped and her heart beat hard. She realized she was looking into Wufei's icy glare. They hadn't moved since she had been knocked out. Serena turned her head slowly in the direction of the pillow, and looked over the shoulder she lay on. Ryo's royal blue eyes said their tormenting 'Good Morning' for her. Serena turned back the way she'd come and whimpered. She slowly tried to get up, paining all over, especially in her private area. It hurt too much. She fell down. Ryo turned her over to face him. She was close enough to rest her arms on her chest and her palms on his chest like Relena did with Heero. Serena's eyes became blurry with salty tears.

"You didn't…"

Ryo nodded, smiling arrogantly. "You were pretty damn good. I'd pay another five grand for nookie like that."

Serena was stabbed with pain and began crying as though he'd ripped her heart out, and he had.

"No," she gasped through tears, "Please, no, please, no, you didn't, I know you didn't…" Ryo patted her arm as if she were a small child that had lost her doll.

"You'll get over it. Get dressed so you can do some chores and not get your lazy ass in trouble." Serena paused in her tears, utterly stunned with his inhumanity and indifference to the pride of her being. Ryo got up and dressed. The other guys marched out of the room before Ryo. Ryo adjusted himself in the mirror and started to leave.

"Ryo," Serena called in a heart-broken, pleading voice. He looked angry.

"Get up," he ordered, slapping her on her side, "you got stuff to do." He left. Serena pulled the covers over her head and cried until she was exhausted.

A little over an hour later, Serena was in the kitchen washing the dishes and handing them to a small blonde around her age. Both were silent.

"Excuse me," the small blonde spoke softly to Serena. Serena looked at her. "Are you Serena?"

Serena nodded.

"Did you really attack Ryo?"

Serena nodded.

The small blonde leaned in and whispered, "Are you really a virgin?"

"Not anymore," Serena muttered, turning back to the dishes. The girl could tell how much Serena was hurt, but could not believe she was bought a virgin.

"I'm sorry, but that's pretty shocking. I wasn't even a virgin when I was bought."

"Whose woman are you?" Serena tried to take the subject off of herself.

"I'm Midii Une, Trowa's woman."

"Who's Trowa?"

"He has long brown bangs an hangs out with Quatre."

Serena remembered seeing her and Trowa now. Both of them were so quiet, she hadn't noticed them at dinner the previous night. Midii smiled.

"Nobody knows this because he doesn't treat me badly, but Trowa is a real sex-fiend."

Serena smiled politely. Midii smiled back. Dorothy came in and began putting away a large pile of clean dishes.

"Hey," she greeted Serena, "how's that back doing?"

"Great. No more scars. Thanks a lot."

"You're welcome. We women have to stick together; we're all we've got."

Serena and Midii nodded.

"So, uh," Dorothy started, "Are you a virgin?"

"Not anymore," Serena repeated.

"I'm sorry. You'll get used to it."

"No, I won't, I refuse."

A girl with short blue hair and a load of dirty dishes and underwear burst through the door. She was muttering angrily.

"What's the matter, Hilde?" Dorothy asked without looking away from her chore. Hilde joined Serena at the sink.

"Duo pisses me off: how the hell am I supposed to keep his clothes clean when he always stains them with shit I've never heard of and stay on top of these dishes?"

Dorothy shook her head. Midii smiled and continued washing. Hilde acknowledged Serena, who standing close by.

"Are you the five grand girl?"

Serena nodded.

"The virgin that attacked Ryo?"

"And the girl that put oatmeal on Heero's head." Serena added.

Hilde shook her hand. "I'm proud to know you. I'm a little wild myself, but I never would have had the guts to attack Ryo and piss Heero off."

Serena smiled.

"You're just like Relena was." Dorothy whipped around and kicked Hilde.

"What about how Relena was?" Serena asked. Hilde opened her mouth.

"NO, Hilde," Dorothy cut her off, "Don't say anything!"

"Come on, Hilde, what about Relena?"

"Hilde, not a word. You know how that makes Relena feel."

"Tell me."

Midii Une jumped into it. "Relena used to be just like you."

All three of the other three stopped and looked at her. "What do you mean she used to be like me?"

"When Relena first came here, she was a virgin, too. Ryo bought her for Heero. Oh, what a fuss she made! Always smarting off to Heero and stuff."

"How is she still alive?"

"Heero wasn't the complete ass then he is now," Dorothy explained, "He used to be more like Trowa and Wufei. Then Relena came and didn't act like the other women, rebelling and such. Relena got thirty lashes the first day she was here."

Serena almost dropped the dish she was washing. "Relena who?"

"Relena," Dorothy insisted. "And everyday after that, she got thirty lashes a day. But that didn't break her sprit. She told me one day that after she woke up, she woke Heero up and told him she wanted her lashes right then. Heero just ignored heart first, but then she said, 'I know you're tired of whipping me. If you don't get up and give me my thirty, I'll disobey you, and you'll have to give me forty or fifty.' So, Heero got up, and gave her her thirty, but Relena thought he may hove only given her twenty-five. I couldn't believe that, but then I remembered who told me, and I believed."

Serena stood in shocked silence. "But then," Hilde picked up, "She got broken."

"How?"

"Heero went gambling with Ryo one day and bet Relena. He lost the bet, and the winner took Relena for two weeks. Heero eventually bought her back, and she was from then on the way she is now, and Heero turned the way he is now because he didn't want her to turn back to the little ball of fire she was."

"What happened to her?"

"The bet winner locked her in pitch-black cell and chained her to the wall. He raped her four times a day, or one of his Guards raped her. He only gave her water as a gift. He never let her bathe of even get out and stretch. For two weeks, she didn't even see light. When she came back, she was broken."

Relena walked in. Serena looked at her in horror.

"Ladies, please get back to work. And you know the rule: no talking." Relena looked at Serena. Worry lines covered her forehead.

"What's the matter?"

"You…you…I…"

Trowa pushed past Relena. "I don't want to hear anymore talking, girls." He left. Relena left.

Serena finished the dishes and began the laundry in a daze. She was responsible for Ryo's clothing, underwear and all. She was in a dim room on the same side as the bathroom and the whipping room, on what seemed to be the chore side of the residence hall, though on the level above her Relena and Heero stayed and Hilde and Duo next to them. Serena held the bridge of her nose and leaned on the vibrating dryer in disbelief: was this an omen? Was it going to be two weeks in a dark cell that would break her? She pushed the thought as far into the back of her mind as she could and sorted more laundry. Relena came in.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yeah," Serena threw together the whites and lights. "Why can't we talk around here?"

Relena was very blunt and very serious. "Women are smarter than men. They can't stand that. So they don't."

Serena nodded. It as was a ludicrous rule, another way to oppress the female populous, just like the whole open-black-market deal. Serena pulled a pair of boxers to put in the wash. "Oh, my God."

"What is it?" Serena turned the boxers to face Relena.

"Relena, what is this on these undies?"

"It looks like make-up."

"Doesn't make-up go on the face?"

"Yes."

"Then why is it on his boxer fly?"

Relena didn't say anything, but gave Serena a look. Serena put a hand on her hip and held the boxers a if they wee a rat.

"Are you trying to tell me that I'm going to have to put his stuff in my mouth?" Relena just gave the same look.

"I've got to check on some of the other ladies. Will you excuse me please?"

"Certainly," Serena walked Relena to the door. Relena's courtesies alone made Serena feel more appreciated and slightly loved in the hell they were in. The ceiling rumbled. Ryo and his good friends were returning from shopping and gambling. Relena cringed.

"They're back," she muttered. Heero hadn't gone with them, but when they were all together, the women suffered because they liked to show off to each other by degrading the women to the depths of their psyche.

"Why did you break, Relena?" fell out of Serena's mouth before she could catch it.

"What?" Relena seemed startled by the question. "I don't know; I couldn't take it." Relena walked slowly away. Serena hung out of the doorway as she took her tiny steps. A gunshot rang out and struck the floor in front of her.

"Oh!" she cried, thinking she'd been hit. Heero laughed hysterically from the balcony.

"Hahaha! Ah, shit, Lena, if you'd seen your face! Oh, my God! Hahaha!"

Relena laid her hand over her heart and breathed hard, trying to calm from the shock. Heero came down the stairs, still laughing, and walked by Serena. Serena was angry.

"Heero," she called to him. He didn't seem to hear her, walking on to Relena.

"Heero," she called louder. He walked on.

"Heero!" she semi-yelled. He jerked around.

"What?!" he demanded.

"That was a very evil thing you just did to Relena. I don't appreciate that. You don't treat her right. If you bully her just because of the situation she's in, it'll come back on you-"

While she was lecturing him, Heero had come to her and slammed her against the wall by her throat, lifting her by her neck off the ground, chocking the musty air that kept her alive. Relena ran to Heero.

"Heero, please," she begged, "please put her down. Please, Heero, please don't hurt her! What do you want? We can do it all night or as long as you hold out. I'll do whatever you want. Please, Heero, please!"

Heero shook his head and dropped her. Serena landed hard on her feet.

"You are so damn lucky that she loves you enough to save your smart ass. I almost feel bad for her. And you," he said to Relena, "you better have some new tricks." He walked to the stairs to the balcony and turned his back to light a cigarette. Relena laid a hand in Serena's.

"Please don't provoke him anymore," Relena pleaded.

"I didn't ask you to save me," Serena shot at her. "I wanted to make him angry. I wanted him to try to hurt me. Ryo would get mad at him."

"If Heero killed you, Ryo would be angry for five minutes and then get another girl. We don't mean anything to them. Their dogs are on a higher level than we are!"

"I'd rather die than live like that. Let him kill me."

"Don't say that!"

"Stop trying to save me!"

Relena lowered her voice. "Serena, I save you because you still have that hope, that fire of hope that you will survive to live happily. I lost that fire a long time ago. Once you lose it, you don't get it back." Her eyes were tearry.

"Hey Relena," Heero took his first drag, "get up to the room and practice for me."

Relena offered Serena a farewell glance and headed up the stairs. Heero slapped her behind in the same place he had on the previous day. Again, she groaned and rubbed it gently. She went on up the steps. Serena went to her room for some more clothes. Ryo and his crew burst through the door.

Ryo went strait to the dining hall with Duo, Wufei, Quatre, his friends Kento, Sage, and Rowen. Another high friend o his, Cye, stopped at Serena, who was trying to open the door she'd accidentally locked. She felt his presence and turned to face him. He licked his finger and laid it on her bare shoulder, making a sizzling noise with his tongue.

"Hot stuff," He leaned into give her a hickey. She pushed him away.

"Leave me alone."

Cye wrapped his arms around her and tried to pull down her top. She pushed him away and pulled her top up.

"Stop it, leave me alone," she insisted.

"What the hell's your problem, bitch?" he snatched her wrist.

"I'm no bitch, you're a bitch-" he slapped her. She slapped him back just as hard. "You don't own me, I belong to Ryo-" he slapped her again. She smacked him with her fist, and shoved her knee in his crotch twice, punching him again and knocking him to the ground, kicking and beating him. Ryo and the rest rushed out when they heard the commotion, and Heero when he realized something beyond a simple pimp slapping was going down.

Kento and Rowen grasped Serena and pulled her off of Cye, who was beat pretty bad. Cye got up without help and wiped his bloody nose with his shirtsleeve. Serena was cussing at him and thrashing about in Kento and Rowen's arms.

"What the hell is going on, Cye?" Ryo asked. Cye pointed to Serena.

"You're crazy. You're crazy, man. She's gonna kill you. Keep messing around with her, just keep it up. You paid five grand to get dead."

Ryo looked at Serena. Serena wasn't ashamed of what she did, and she showed it. She looked at him.

"Ryo, he tried to get me to do something with him. I belong to you. You paid for me, and he wanted a free ride. I'm not his to play with."

Ryo looked away.

"Beat her man!" Cye insisted. Ryo didn't look at Cye. Heero looked at Ryo. Ryo propped his hand against his face and supported it with his other arm. His eyes were misty. His face was red. His chest gave quick little heaves.

"Hahaha," he muttered, then laughed out loud.

"You're not gonna beat her?" Cye demanded, still angry and humiliated.

"Oh, I'll beat her alright, twenty lashes for disrespect, but that was too funny. I walked out here and saw the second-buffest guy I know getting beat up by a girl…" laughter cut him off. "Oh, Jesus, go on, take her to the beating room, twenty lashes, no, on second thought, fifteen, 'cause she was good last night."

"Fuck you!" Serena growled.

"Fine then, thirty." Ryo sneered, starting away. Kento and Rowen began to drag her away. Relena had to do some thing.

"No, Ryo, no!" she called from above. Ryo looked about, then saw Relena on the balcony.

"She didn't know any better. I told her she could refuse a man if he didn't own her."

"You told her what?"

"Relena, didn't I tell you to shut up and get in that room?" Heero barked.

"Don't beat her, Ryo,"

"Relena, shut-up," Heero insisted.

"I should be the one to get a beating because I told her wrong. And Cye is horny anyway, so I think she did the right thing."

"That's it," Heero grumbled, leaping up the stairs to Relena. Relena wasn't frightened.

"You didn't tell her she couldn't refuse, Ryo! She was just trying to stay good for you!"

Serena struggled when she saw Heero going for her. "Relena!"

Heero grabbed Relena's shoulders and slammed her against the door to their room. "Shut-up when I tell you to shut-up, you stupid whore! You don't know what the hell you're talking about! Stop letting her get you in trouble, 'cause soon you're going get into trouble and you won't get out! Now get your bitch ass in that room!"

Relena squeezed her eyes shut and waited for the storm to pass. When he stopped, she slipped into the room, and he closed the door and locked it. Serena was still fighting a lost battle.

"Ryo, why do you let him treat her like that?"

"She's his woman, he can do what he wants with or to her."

Serena sounded super-pissed. "That's not for humans to do to each other! You call yourself a leader? You're terrible! You should be punished for crimes against humanity-"

"SHUT-UP!" he punched her face as hard as he could and knocked her out cold.