Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Promises Made ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER 3

"Ms. Haruna! Serena's out cold!" Molly screamed, shattering the silence. Ms. H. quickly ran to her side and examined her.

"She's burned badly. She shouldn't have ran through the flames. I told her not to, but…" she trailed off. "…we need to get her to a hospital right away!" She glanced back at all the children. "But I can't leave…what are we going to do?"

Ms. Haruna paused for a moment.

"I'll just have to take her, and come back as soon as I can!"

Suddenly a black sports car pulled up, honking its horn. The window rolled down and Amy noticed the person inside had black hair.

"Darien!" Amy yelled in shock. She pulled Serena towards the car, making Molly and Melvin follow. "Darien, we really need your help! Serena needs to get to the hospital right away!"

Darien's eyes held panic in them as he searched for Serena, spotting her right behind Molly and Melvin. Amy noticed this. She knew that even though he teased her, he really cared for her. His eyes widened when he saw the shape she was in.

Darien immediately opened the door as Amy handed him her drenched friend. He pulled her onto his lap and rested her head on his right shoulder, shutting the door. Amy ran around to the other side and hopped in, followed closely by Molly and Melvin. His sports car was small, supposed to be for only three people, but they squeezed in with Molly sitting on Melvin's lap. Darien was about to speed off when the principal and Ms. Haruna called out.

"Where are you taking them!" the principal yelled.

"Don't worry Ms. Haruna and Mr. Roberts! He's a friend!" That was all they needed to hear. Amy has always been trusted by everyone in the school.

"I trust that you are in good hands! Take her to the hospital!" Ms. H. yelled through cupped hands as Darien stepped on the gas, with Serena still in his arms.

Don't worry Serena…we'll get there soon. Darien felt so helpless watching her silently cry in her sleep.

"Darien…" came a small voice that only Darien seemed to hear. Darien glanced down from the road. Serena was clutching his shirt and curling up in his lap. He smiled softly down at her, continuing to drive.

"What happened?" Darien asked, never taking his eyes off the road.

"The four of us were trapped within a ring of fire, but Ms. Haruna was able to clear a path towards the doors, but Serena was cut off when the flames suddenly shot up! It was horrible…Ms. Haruna mentioned something about Serena running through the fire," Molly said.

"That's probably what she did, knowing her." Darien chuckled softly. That's just what she would have done, never thinking of the consequences.

Finally, after what felt like hours, they arrived. Darien quickly, but carefully, got up, not bothering to wait for the others or put the car alarm on. Darien leaned over her to shield her from the rain. It hurt, but it was worth it to him. He held her close as he rushed into the emergency room to the doctor he knew well and knew would take care of her. This doctor was the one that took care of him and his parents after the crash. Even though his parents died, he had lived, and there was nothing they could have done to save them.

"Dr. Warren!" Darien called out, bursting through the swinging doors. "I need help right away!"

The doctor came running from behind the counter and pulled him into a room. Darien gently set her down on the bed, holding her warm hand. He pulled up a chair and sat down next to her.

"Darien, what happened?" the doctor asked calmly.

"Her school caught on fire…" he paused. "…Is she going to be alright?" He feared what he might say, but relaxed when he nodded.

"She's going to be fine," he said, putting stuff on her burns. "She'll just have some scars…" He took a breath. "She's one stupid, yet brave girl…the way she ran through the fire." He watched the burns for a moment, and then left after putting some bandages around the two serious injuries on her stomach and right leg.

Darien sighed. He looked around the room. This is the same one that he had been in during the car accident as a child.

FLASHBACK

"I saw the door was open and saw that you looked lonely and sad. This is for you," a little girl came out of nowhere and handed Darien a red rose. "You look like you need it more than my mommy…she doesn't look sad. Why are you sad?" Serena said in her little voice. She laid her head down in his lap, hugging his knees. Darien smiled softly. He turned to the door when it creaked open just a little bit. It must be the wind.

"Why would your mommy need the flowers?" Darien asked, trying to change the subject off why he was here.

"She just had my baby brother! I can't wait to see him! I'm going to be the best big sister ever! I'm going there right now. Do you want to come?" before he answered, she pulled him by the hand out the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Dr. Warren asked, stopping the blonde-headed child in her tracks.

"We're going to see my baby brother!" Serena replied happily.

"Darien's not well enough to get out of bed. I'm sorry, he can't go with you." Serena pouted, turning back to Darien.

"Do you want me to stay with you…I can always see my brother later." Darien looked taken aback.

"You would stay with me instead of going to see your new brother?" Serena nodded.

"Of course! You're my new friend!" Dr. Warren looked as if he was about to protest, but a nurse came by and said something before he could.

"Here you go. You two can play with these cards," the nurse said, smiling down at the little girl. "You are just so cute! Which room is your mommy in? I'll go tell her where you are."

Serena's face brightened again. She pointed to the one at the end of the hall, and the nurse left to go tell her.

"Thank you!" Serena called after her, walking into Darien's room. They sat down on the bed and played Go Fish until that evening. Three and a half hours later, it was time for Serena to go home.

"Darien? Since you're my friend, I want you to know that I will always be here for you if you need someone to talk to, I promise…but I have to go now, bye bye!" she waved, running through the door and shutting it behind her.

"…bye…" Darien watched her retreating form go. "…and thank you…" He already missed her, and his heart ached for her to come back. He was lonely again, but he remembered what he said. He only wished he could have had the chance to say the same thing to her.

The door opened again and the nurse from earlier walked through.

"Hi Darien, how are you feeling?" she asked, taking his temperature.

"I feel fine. When do I get to leave?" he asked suddenly. The nurse smiled.

"How about right now? Is that soon enough for you?" Darien nodded thankfully, getting out of bed. "I'm sorry Dr. Warren isn't here to say good bye. He's really busy right now. I don't know why he said that you weren't well enough earlier, but you seem fine now, and that's what counts."

Darien walked out of the room while the nurse called the foster care people. He sat in the lobby with the nurse until they came and picked him up.

END OF FLASHBACK

"I will never call you Meatball Head again...just get better…" Darien muttered, holding her hand, and resting his head on it.

"Is…that a…promise…?" Serena stirred. Darien laughed, relieved. Suddenly the door opened, slamming against the wall.

"Darien? Is she going to be alright?" Amy asked, breathing heavily, as she pushed open the door. She had been looking everywhere for them, but couldn't find them, or anyone that could tell her where to find them.

"Amy…Co-come h-here…" Serena stuttered, barely able to move and speak. Amy gasped, but listened anyway.

"Serena? I'm so sorry. If I had only let you go before me-"

"Then you would be the one here, not me." Serena stuttered. "I have no regrets…"

"Oh Serena…" Amy cried, hugging her friend. Darien let go of Serena's hand, realizing that he had been holding it for awhile now, blushing slightly.

"What's wrong Darien?" Melvin asked in his annoying voice, noticing that his face was red. "Hmm?"

"Shut up!" Darien whispered harshly.

"Thank goodness," Molly wiped away a tear, hugging Serena also.

"I wish you were still asleep so I could tell you about the anatomy of an earthworm. People say that you learn in your sleep, and I thought that you might-"

"Shut up Melvin. She just woke up and doesn't need you to be put to sleep with your stories," Molly pointed out, causing Serena to laugh. She tried to sit up, but was pushed back down by Amy.

"Lay down, Serena. You need your rest," Amy stated. "I should know these things, seeing how I'm going to become a doctor." She bent down and whispered into Serena's ear. "I'm going to go call the scouts. I'll be back when they come. I think we all need to have a chat." Serena nodded.

"I agree," she said.

Darien looked quizzically at the two friends. He could have sworn he heard the word 'scouts', but wasn't sure. They couldn't possibly be scouts. If Serena was a scout, she could have easily jumped over the fire and wouldn't have gotten burned.

"I'm going to call some friends of ours. "Amy left with no further explanation.

"I better go call my parents and tell them where I am. Melvin, you better too." Molly turned to Darien. "What about you? Are you going to call yours?"

Darien looked down at the floor.

"I don't have parents," He said sadly. Molly nodded sympathetically.

"Alright then. I'll call Serena's to. We'll be back. Take care of her." They left, following Amy to the counter where the phone was sure to be.

There was an awkward moment of silence between Serena and Darien, each avoiding the other's eyes. Finally, Serena spoke.

"Were you the one that brought me here?" she asked, still not looking into his eyes. He nodded, and Serena saw out of the corner of her eye. "Thank you."

"Amy's the one you should thank. She's the one that stood out in the rain, shielding you from it. The other two did that to."

"You mean Molly and Melvin?" He nodded again.

Another moment of silence passed. They stayed like that for awhile.

"Darien-"

"Serena-" they said at the same time.

"You go first," the both said again. Darien ran his fingers through his hair, causing some of it to fall in his eyes. Serena smiled at this. She sat up, despite the protest she was sure to receive from Amy when she got back, and then got out of the bed. She walked ungracefully to the window and opened the blinds. It was still raining hard, but the thunder and lightning seemed to have stopped. Darien stayed where he was. He didn't want to push his luck.

"How do you feel?" he question, swinging his chair around so he could sit in it backwards and rest his head on the back.

"I feel better…" she trailed off, knowing that he wasn't asking what she felt in her heart at the moment.

"I don't really have to keep my earlier promise, since it wasn't technically a promise, do I?" Serena frowned.

"Why wouldn't you?" She asked, never taking her eyes off the clouds and how angry they looked.

"Because I just said that to make you get better…Meatball Head," He said casually, shrugging.

"Don't call me that!" she pouted, turning around. Darien smirked.

"Who's going to stop me? Certainly not you in the shape you're in." Serena was about to make a retort when Dr. Warren came in.

"You're up, thank goodness for that." he smiled, but for some reason, Serena wasn't comforted by it.

"Thanks for taking care of me, Doctor…"

"Warren."

"Doctor Warren," she smiled.

"I took care of Darien when he was a child. Any friend of his is a friend of mine." He put that same smile on, but again, Serena felt weird.

"Thanks…" she said, forcing herself to smile.

"Your wounds healed remarkably fast. It's amazing. I've never seen anything like it." Serena was about to say something when Amy walked in.

"Serena. Your parents can't make it. The rain's coming down too hard and they can't see when they're driving, but they did have one request, that I take care of you until they can make it." She smiled, walking over to Serena.

"What about the others?" Serena sighed.

"I'm afraid that they can't make it eith-"

"Then we have to go to them. Amy, this is serious, and-" Amy shook her head.

"Not here," she said in a low voice. Serena sadly nodded. "I know how you feel, but there's nothing we can do. All we can do is wait for the rain to lighten."

"Alright…" The doctor cut the two friends off from their secretive conversation by fake coughing. "You can stay here as long as you like," he offered. Darien, Molly, and Melvin nodded, but Serena shook her head.

"We need to go. I have to do something. It's very important."

"Serena that can wait," Amy begged, but Serena shook her head again.

"No it can't Amy, not after what happened last time! Don't you get it? The more tim-"

"Serena!" Amy hushed her friend. "Not here!"

"Serena, I agree with Amy. You should wait. For goodness sake, you're still healing!" Darien suddenly stood up.

"You don't understand! I have to go!" she yelled in desperation.

"What could possibly be important enough that you have to go right now?!" Darien pried.

Serena looked down at her feet. She turned to Amy. "You're either with me, or against me. What's your choice?" She said seriously, her eyes narrowed, waiting for Amy's decision. Amy hesitated, but nodded. "Alright, we're going then."

"Miss, I would highly recommend that you stay here, at least until the rain stops!' Dr. Warren said, almost begging. "You can leave…soon."

Serena stopped in her tracks.

"Soon?" she asked, turning to face him. He nodded. He couldn't possibly be…no, he wouldn't be helping her. He's the one that treated her wounds. He could have easily let her die, if he had wanted to.

She turned to the Darien.

"Will you please drive Molly and Melvin when the weather gets better?" he nodded. She started walking towards the door, Amy right behind her, when suddenly Darien stepped in her way. Serena gasped. "Darien?"

"If I can't stop you from going, at least allow me to drive you," he said, looking down. He didn't want her to go, but had a feeling that it was very imperative since Serena was willing to walk out into the rain for it.

"Thanks, Darien," Serena smiled, warming his heart. "Can you fit Molly and Melvin too?" He thought about it, then nodded.

"It might be a tight squeeze though," he rubbed his hand on the back of his head, sweat dropping.

"How tight?" Serena raised an eyebrow.

"Why don't you be the judge of that," he shrugged again. Serena nodded, following him out the door.

"I really think you guys should stay here!" Dr. Warren shouted, but it fell on deaf ears.