Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Race to be proud of ❯ 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author: Sorceress_Misha

Rating: PG-13

warnings: shounen ai, yaoi

Summary: Vegeta and Kakarotto's search for the last of the Saiyans

Author notes: This fic is dedicated to Raven, a wonderful list mommy, a great person and an awesome beta. Thank you for all your help and the encouragement to post my first ever fic.

Disclaimer: I make no claim to having any rights to DBZ or the characters and i am not making any money regarding this fic, however the plot and any original characters are mine.

Archived at mediaminer.org and ff.net, anyone else just let me know who and where. ^_^

As Vegeta no ouji looked out over the vast expanse of lush wilderness, his thoughts turned inward, to memories of the past. Memories of pain and terror, followed by memories of the first time he had seen the one who would one day mean more than life itself to him.

Despite the fact that the first time they had met was in battle, Vegeta recalled that his first thoughts on seeing the ningen raised Saiyan, had been of wonder; he couldn't believe that such perfection was possible. Not only the other's looks, but the sheer strength of will that the other possessed, to protect those under his care to the best of his abilities. It had amazed the Ouji that such a being had been classified as a third class warrior, when it had been obvious, to him at least, that the other should have been elite.

Reluctantly, Vegeta brought his memories back from thoughts of his love, to the more recent past. The wonder of finding out that Bardock had, indeed, managed to convince the old Ou of Frieza's imminent betrayal, and the plan they had then made. That they had placed as many Saiyans as possible in cryo-stasis, and sent them to safety on an uninhabited planet, had been a shock to the two mates. The knowledge that they were no longer the last of their race, once the shock had passed, had brought immense feelings of joy to them. The Ouji was elated that his people would have the chance to make amends for all of the terrible deeds they had done at Frieza's command. His mate's joy was due to the knowledge that his koi had bitterly regretted that his people would forever be remembered as mercenaries, and not as the society they had been before Frieza had sunk his claws into their race.

It had been a relief to discover that their people had once been peaceful. That they had once been known as artisans, musicians and yes, as great warriors. Their medical skills had been renowned throughout their sector of the universe. The promise that their people could once again become known as something worthwhile, something to be proud of, had raised the no Ouji's hopes for the future.

A sound from behind him brought his attention back to the present. "Geta-koi?"

"Hai, Kakarotto?" Vegeta turned towards the bed where his sleepy koi was beginning to sit up.

"Come back to bed, koi, we have much to do tomorrow." Kakarotto moved the covers back in invitation. "You know I don't sleep well unless you're holding me, koi."

"Very well Kakarotto, only because you'll need your strength in the morning." Vegeta crossed the room quickly, with a smile on his face. As he was drifting off to sleep, he mused that with his Kakarotto by his side, they would make their people the best that they could be. Whether they would become artisans or musicians, protectors or doctors, they would help them reach their fullest potential. His last thoughts as sleep caught him, were of their fathers. If they were successful, their fathers' intentions of saving at least some of their noble heritage, would become reality. As he pondered the thought, a feeling of warmth hit him. Every night thereafter as he and his mate slept, there would be a smile on the face of the Saiyajin no Ouji.