Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Crawling ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CRAWLING
 
Disclaimer: I do not own DBZ.
 
Chapter 1
 
“Bulma?”
 
“Mom? Mom? Mom?! Wake up! Wake up! Oh, God, please wake up!”
 
Hot tears on my face. Darkness…
 
[* * * * * *]
 
CRASH!
 
“Chichi! Hey, Chi, what are we hav—CHICHI! Oh my God! What's wrong with you?”
 
Footsteps coming toward me then stopping.
 
“Dad, what's going on—shit! What the hell happened to Mom?”
 
“I don't know. Help me get her onto the couch.”
 
Weightlessness and strong arms around me and under me then a softness on my back.
 
“Dad, what happened?”
 
“I don't know, son. I…”
 
Darkness…
 
[* * * * * *]
 
I opened my eyes. Light flooded my senses. My eyes adjusted and I could see a raven-haired man and a boy with lavender(?!) hair standing over me. The question popped out before I could truly think about it.
 
“Who are you?”
 
The boy with lavender hair immediately began to swear. “Oh shit! Shit! Shit!”
 
“That's not language to use around your mother.”
 
“Well that's okay cause she ain't Mom! Oh, hell!”
 
“I said tone the language down, Trunks.”
 
“And I said she ain't Mom!” The lavender haired boy stormed off pulling what looked like a stick from a box in his pocket and lighting it on fire.
 
“Hey! Smoke outside!” The man followed after the boy, leaving me on the floor.
 
The whole time I watched from my spot on the floor with interest trying to learn some things. I got up when they left. `Well apparently, I know these people. But I can't quite seem to recall… oh well.'
 
I got up and was about to brush off my clothes when I noticed what I was wearing. I looked down with horror at what had, or rather had not, chosen. `Oh my God! Green and white polka dotted shirt with black and white striped pants and baby blue platform shoes! What the hell was I thinking?! Or not thinking apparently.'
 
I wasn't entirely sure what clothes were but I *knew* that these were not right. “I have got to get out of this.”
 
I walked through the doorway the man and the boy went through. Doorways and a long corridor greeted me. `Now how the hell do I get to the place that has clothes around here? What do you call it… a, um… closet! That's it!'
 
I looked up and down the corridor. `I just gotta find it. Maybe if I go this way.'
 
I turned left and started walking down it. I walked and walked and came to another hallway. This time I went right and I found myself at a door. I backtracked and suddenly found myself at a window.
 
`Okay now I think I'm lost. Hmmm… maybe there's a map.' I started looking around before I stopped and another thought hit me.
 
`Wait a minute… what's a map? Well apparently it can help me find my way to that closet-thing that I need.'
 
I stared around and around but couldn't find the map. Then I remembered that I didn't know what a map looked like until I had another idea. `Wait! Those two people that were with me earlier. They'll probably know where the closet is. Yeah! So I just need to find them. But where are they? Hmm… Well this isn't helping me much.'
 
Suddenly I heard muffled noises coming from behind that door I left behind. Without even thinking, I ran over to it and yanked it open. Behind it I came face-to-face with the raven-haired man and the boy with the lavender hair again.
 
SLAM!
 
The man was leaning against the wall staring off into nowhere until he saw her. The boy looked up from a flickering box and took his firestick out of mouth when he saw her. The man strode over to her. He looked okay when he was standing over there but up close he looked kind of scary.
 
“Well look who's here. It's Mom.” He tried to put his hand on my forehead but I shrunk back. I didn't know why but I didn't really like him. He made such a weird face that I had to ask.
 
“What's wrong?” An innocent question that turned his face blank. He replied tonelessly and quietly, “Nothing.”
 
I wanted to ask more but his face stopped me. He stepped back and went into a room that was white with a table. He sat down at the table and began to stare off into nothing again. `I don't know how but I know that he will not answer me. I should probably ask the boy.'
 
I went over to the, uh, couch(?) and sat down next to the boy. He still had his firestick in his mouth but I noticed that it looked smaller than I remembered seeing it earlier. Once again, a question popped out.
 
“Why is your firestick shorter?” He looked at me sideways. A smile formed on this mouth and he began to chuckle. Not a happy chuckle but dryly, if it can so be called. I wasn't sure why I think he chuckled dryly but that's the only word I could think of.
 
“It's called a cigarette, Mom.”
 
“Excuse me but maybe we should get something straight. I don't know who this Mom-person is but I do know that I'm not a `Mom'. So quit calling me that.”
 
“Whatever you say, Bulma.” He turned his attention back to the flickering box.
 
“Who's Bulma?” I said. Now he began to look a little miffed.
 
You are Bulma.” He looked back at the box. I absorbed what he said and thought about. But it just didn't make any sense.
 
“But I'm not Bulma.” He sighed a little but kept his eyes on the box.
 
“Look: if I'm not this `Mom' and Mom's name is Bulma, then I can't be Bulma I'd have to be something else.” He finally looked at me again and this time he turned his body around and faced me.
 
“Well, then what would you like to be called?” I had to think about this one.
 
`What should I call myself? Hmm… well, it needs to be something better and different than “Bulma” but what?”
 
“What about… Azules.” He looked at me a little strangely for a minute then shrugged.
 
“Whatever?” He put his firestick back in his mouth and then pulled it out and blew smoke out his nostrils when I remembered.
 
“You never did tell me why your firestick, I mean cigarette was shorter.” He answered after a moment.
 
“Well, that's what you do with a cigarette, you smoke it.”
 
“Oh… Why?” He stopped and appeared to think for a moment.
 
“Cause it feels good and it's fun.”
 
“Oh… can I try it?” He grinned. `He seems okay with it and he says it's fun. Maybe that Bulma-person I was liked to smoke.
 
“Sure.” He turned it around and handed it to me. I tried to just grab it but he stopped me.
 
“Careful. You'll burn yourself on this end right here.” He pointed to the end that glowed where smoke came out. I picked it up with my first two fingers and put it in my mouth.
 
“Now what?” I said with it in my mouth, “This doesn't seem very fun.”
 
“Now you suck on it and be careful not to let any smoke go down your throat.” I tried it and the first time some went down and I coughed it all up into his face. He waved it away and encouraged me to try again. I did and this time I didn't. It still wasn't fun yet but eventually after a few more tries I could get some down without coughing. He smiled.
 
“There. Now, you're smoking.” I grinned with him.
 
“Cool! Now what?” I sucked on the cigarette again. I was starting to like this.
 
“Now…” He looked down at my clothes. “We get you into something a little more tasteful.”
 
I widened my eyes when I realized that I had forgotten the original reason that I was trying to find him. “Oh! That reminds me. Do you know where the closet is?”
 
“You must mean your clothes closet. Yeah, I know where it is.”
 
“Great! Cause I need to get out of whatever it is that I have on.” He got up and got another cigarette out the box in this pocket.
 
“C'mon, I'll take you there… Azules.” I got up too and followed him out the door. “But I don't think you're gonna find anything worthwhile in there.”
 
I took a puff and blew it out in rings. “Well I need to start learning my way around this place anyway.”
 
We kept walking until we reached a door. Then another thought hit me. “I never did ask: what's your name?”
 
He turned around and looked me up and down. I don't know why but I liked it. “Trunks. My name is Trunks.”