Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dance With Death ❯ The Protection of Fighters ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: DragonBallZ and all of its characters are copyright of Akira Toriyama. Comet is copyright of me, A.C. Ask permission before borrowing. The lyrics below are copyright of Savage Garden.

"Dance With Death"
by A.C

Chapter One
The Protection of Fighters

---`---,---@

"Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place where
your crystal mind and magenta feelings
take up shelter in the base of my spine
sweet like a chic-a-cherry cola..."

One of Comet's favorite things that came along with the ability to control her ki had to be the ability to fly. When one was rushing above the ground at eighty miles an hour, the wind whipping the face, no one - unless blessed with good hearing or flying alongside her - could hear. Which made it a perfect time to do another favorite pastime for when no one was around - sing.

"Come stand a little bit closer
Breathe in and get a bit higher
You'll never know what hit you
When I get to you!"

She paused. Unfortunately, oxygen was needed for both singing and flying, and she couldn't breathe in enough to do both for long. So, while she got her breath back, she enjoyed the surrounding scenery. True, out here in the desert-like parts of Earth, much beauty wasn't to be seen. Yet the picture painted - a backdrop of tainted mountains reflecting the sapphire glow of the sky above, a carpet of dry soil dotted with shrubbery unrolled before it - wasn't entirely unpleasant.

She would never have been this happy if she knew what she was about to get herself into.

She was just about to start on the next verse of the song when something in her senses flared. She would have reeled, stunned, if she hadn't felt that power a great many times before. It was nothing to be worried about, just Goku. She had been a friend of his for ages, just like Piccolo, Vegeta... the entirety of the Z Senshi.

"For a bunch of aliens, they really can be... somewhat fun," she mused to herself, sensing them all a good distance up ahead. And then she realized there were a few powers she didn't recognize. "Aha. The guests I heard about." She smirked to herself, "Time to throw out the welcome mat!"

The earthling sped up, her form becoming a blur as she shot off into the distance.

---`---,---@

Cell frowned, narrowing his eyes, pink lips pointing downward in an obvious display of annoyance. These Earthlings, some of whom had their own cells as part of his DNA, the Z Fighters (so his memory told him) were really becoming quite meddlesome. He had managed to get Android 17 and absorb the cocky runt, and now all he needed was 18. But now that his intentions were clear, they seemed determined to stop him.

After Tien's damn Tri-Beam continued again and again to pummel him into the ground, he had finally managed to scramble back to his feet, unfortunately leaving his dignity in the pit behind. In that time, the Android had escaped yet again. Even more frustrated than before, he had taken off to find her. A few good hours had passed, but finally; he found his prize again. And now this idiot, Vegeta, wished to challenge him! He was so, so close... and yet so far...

"Fine!" he snapped, frustration shortening his nerves and patience, "But make this fast." He smirked slightly; "I have an Android to absorb."

Vegeta snickered, arms already out in fists, in a stance to fight. "Only if you can get past me."

The fight began.

Both lunged forward, instantly meeting with a flurry of kicks and punches, a green blur and a blue one locked in mortal combat, hovering just a few feet off the ground. Behind Vegeta, Android 18 watched with wide, icy eyes, but didn't take her chance to escape. It appeared her every limb was rooted with awe, and fear.

Upon a nearby cliff, the Z Fighters watched anxiously, their ears straining to hear anything said, eyes focused to see all that occurred. And then their concentration was suddenly broken with the arrival of a beautiful, fresh-faced Earthling girl, hovering over their heads.

"Well, hello, guys," she said with a grin, arms folded loosely across her chest. Her bright green eyes sparkled with a sense of mischievous calm as she floated down to land between Piccolo and Goku. "Do we ever look stressed? What happened?" She glanced up and down the row, taking only a moment to figure it out; "Oh shit - it's Vegeta, isn't it?"

Goku nodded, pointing out to where the two were fighting, as everyone else lapsed back into their state of fierce concentration, "Feel lucky you missed it the first of it, Comet. Vegeta's fighting Cell."

"Cell?" Comet repeated, adjusting her dark chocolate hair so it flowed neatly down her back again, instead of the disarray flying brought, "Who's Cell? The newest terror to threaten the Earth?"

"Exactly," Goku responded. Comet grinned, muttering something like "I'm good," under her breath, and he continued; "Cell is an Android created by Dr. Gero, made to kill me and destroy the Earth. He's made up of all of our cells... except your's, I'm pretty sure. Anyway, Dr. Gero also created two more Androids, who were our first problem. Android 18 is over there, watching, and... Cell absorbed Android 17. That's what he has to do, he says, is absorb them both. Whatever it does, he apparently wants it very bad."

Comet's green eyes widened, "Absorb? Like... eat? Unnn... yep, I'd have to agree with you - I am glad I missed that." She turned to look down at Cell and Vegeta, who had broken apart just long enough to shoot each other death glares and commence with ki attacks, "So, green boy is Cell? Hey, Pic, he looks just like you!"

Piccolo chose not to grace that comment with anger, but his hands balled themselves into fists anyway. "I do not look like him," he responded through gritted teeth.

Comet grinned a little sheepishly, "Kidding, kidding... anyway... why is Vegeta taking so long?" He grin faded to a frown, as she folded her arms again. "Mr. Prince of the Sayajins should be able to finish him off no problem... and if not, I should certainly think you could, Goku."

"Actually, I think Vegeta can handle this one by himself," Piccolo commented, his anger fading, "He appears to have the upper hand."

The group, including Comet, fell silent as they watched the battle. And it soon became apparent Piccolo was right - while Cell was looking angry, frustrated and even a bit flustered, Vegeta's trademark sneer was in place with each self-confident kick and punch. Truth be told, he looked to even be toying with the android's temper.

Comet raised her eyes slightly, noticing Android 18 still watching the battle. The blonde woman's light eyes were wide in shock, and she appeared to be ignoring the persuasion another red-headed android was attempting to give her. As the Earthling raised her ki to fly, Goku instantly sensed it and grabbed Comet's wrist.

"No," he said firmly, "You shouldn't even be here in the first place - you aren't going anywhere near that battle."

"I was just going to try and get Android 18 to leave, Goku. I'll be fine," she assured him, starting to hover, but his grip on her wrist only tightened.

"Comet, no -"

"Oh no... Dad!" Trunks gasped, speaking for the first time since Comet arrived and cutting off Goku. Everyone looked around at him, startled. "No, Dad, don't do it!"

Seven startled gazes, which were once fixed on the lavender-haired teen, whipped around to stare instead at the battle. It appeared Cell was in a rather weak state, saying something to Vegeta. The fighting had paused temporarily, and the sayain was looking disdainfully down at him. But after Cell finished something, Vegeta's gaze suddenly lit up. That look was familiar - the look he got when he just had an idea to make himself stronger, or to finally beat Goku; his two main goals. They saw Vegeta glance carelessly over his shoulder at Android 18, a smirk coming onto his face.

"Uh oh..." Comet said softly.

"No!" Trunks snarled, taking to the air before anyone could stop him. They could hear him yelling, "Dad, don't! He's trying to trick you, I know he is!!!"

"What's going on?" Tien asked slowly, although it was plain by the look on his face he had an idea. Comet glanced around at Piccolo, knowing if anyone had the answer - he did.

Trunks and Vegeta were talking now, but Trunks looked fearful, desperate, while Vegeta just looked plain angry. They continued the conversation - started yelling for a bit, and then Vegeta snapped something to Cell. The Android's face suddenly lit up with an evil smile, as he slowly rose into the air, but Trunks had other plans. The young teen lashed out, aiming a direct punch to Cell's face. Vegeta gave an angry yell heard even from the Z Fighter's distance and flew forward to restrain his son.

It was chaos. Slowly, the three, battling intensely in close quarters, progressed closer to Android 18. Cell was obviously trying to get over there, but Trunks kept blocking his way and trying to avert him elsewhere, while at the same time Vegeta tried to keep his son from interfering.

"I think Vegeta is... actually letting Cell get to Eighteen!" Piccolo murmured, his voice just teetering on the edge of sounding panicked.

"Why?" Yamcha questioned, gaping in utter disbelief at Vegeta - a look most of the others shared, except Comet, Piccolo and Goku. Comet, although looking confused, was watching Piccolo, while Goku's face hadn't changed much in expression.

"If Cell absorbs Eighteen, he'll be even stronger. I think Vegeta wants him to be stronger - so he'll be more of a challenge!"

Something clicked behind Comet's eyes, and before anyone had realized it she had taken off in the direction of the madness. Unfortunately, she hadn't gone far when Goku appeared in front of her.

"Comet, no! He'll kill you!" Goku exclaimed, blocking her from going any further. But that wasn't needed. As she stopped, she glanced over his shoulder, and her brilliant green eyes lit up with horror, her mouth dropping open. At her sudden change of mood, the Sayain turned, his eyes catching sight of what had her trapped with shock.

Vegeta, determined to have someone truly powerful to fight against, had backhanded Trunks away. The teen flew, unconscious, and slumped to the ground. Without the lavender-haired boy to interrupt him, Cell had cornered Eighteen and, quick as a flash, had her in his tail's grip.

The needle-sharp end opened up into a huge, gaping hole, which hovered above her head as Cell merely beamed, and then slammed down onto her. Even from this distance, they could hear the muffled scream mingled with Cell's laughter, and see her legs kicking and struggling to get free.

"No..." Comet whispered, watching in terror.

"We have to go," Goku interrupted her thoughts, grabbing her wrist as he took off back to the others, "Now."

"What about Vegeta?" she asked, fiercely tearing her hand away from him and flying behind him, glancing over her shoulder just in time to see the last of 18's shoes vanish within the monster's tail. She abruptly looked forward again, wincing, as a blinding explosion of light lit the horizon behind herb.

"If he's smart, he'll leave," Goku answered, his tone worried as they landed back on the cliff. "Comet, you have to get out of here - go back to the Lookout and stay there until we get there."

"Why am I the one leaving?" she asked savagely, "I can fight just as well as all of you can - couldn't we use more help?"

"No, Comet, you have to leave especially, there's something else..."

But more laughter was drifting across to them, different somehow. No longer was the voice scratchy and harsh, but deep, rich, masculine. Everyone looked across in horror as the last overwhelming surge of power washed over them, and the last flash of light faded. Someone new was standing in Cell's place, laughing in that charming, deep, evil voice. The figure seemed slightly bigger than before, and no longer had a tail - but still struck a note of panic within everyone watching.

"Comet, NOW!" Goku yelled, this time sounding truly panicked. In that instant, the figure heard him, his head jerking up. There was a tense pause, and then... the figure vanished, leaving Vegeta and the red-headed man behind, looking startled. Goku grabbed her wrist again and instantly took off into the sky. The others followed, but they hadn't gone far when the air before them flickered, and just as Comet wretched her grip free again, they were forced to a halt as someone appeared before them.

He was tall, muscular, commanding power - with pink eyes narrowed into slits. His face was a ghostly white, lips curled in a smirk, while the "armor" decorating his body was various shades of black and green. Two large wings dominated his back, two plates on either side of his head, and while his appearance struck fear into the hearts of anyone who looked in his eyes, there was something alluringly handsome about his face.

"Leaving so soon, Goku?" Cell taunted, folding muscular arms across his broad chest, "But we haven't had time to play."

His voice was very different from his previous form. Hooking, tantalizing and charming, rich and deep. So seductive, that it washed over Comet's hearing and ensnared her senses. But not for long.

"What happened to fighting Vegeta?" Comet snapped, her anger overriding her fear - mostly anger at Goku for being mysteriously over-protective, but also a little fearful of this powerful creature only six feet from her.

Cell's eyes moved from Goku's face slowly over to her's, as he met her brilliant green gaze. He paused, as if mildly surprised or thinking about her outburst, the smirk no longer on his face. He narrowed his eyes slightly, and then slowly looked up and down Comet's form, dressed in a black halter top and dark flaring khaki pants. And then the smirk returned, even broader than before.

"Well, well, well... who might this be? A female member of the Z Senshi? What a surprise! Goku, you didn't tell me about her!" He looked back to the Sayain, a look on his face halfway between delighted amusement and a mocking sneer. When Goku didn't reply right away, Cell continued; "Forgive me; a proper introduction is in order."

He looked back to Comet, and the look on his face intensified. He straightened up and began floating down to her, unfolding his arms. Comet warily watched him approach, backing away a few inches unconsciously. Around her, she could feel the others tensing. Goku's eyes had widened, and he was watching Cell with a sort of fierce concentration. Cell only continued to approach her. Eventually, he reached her and extended his right arm to take her hand. Puzzled at his lack of attempt to attack her, her fists relaxed.

"I am Cell," he introduced, as he brought her hand forward, bent down and planted a kiss on the top.

She suppressed a shudder at the touch of his icy lips, and at the charming smile he offered as he straightened back up. "May I ask a name to match that pretty face?"

"No, you may not," came a growling voice from their left as Piccolo floated forward. Anyone who didn't know him would think he looked annoyed; those who did knew he was livid. Cell smirked again, looking again towards Comet as he released her hand. Suddenly aware of herself again, she quickly pulled her hand to her chest and floated back towards Goku as Cell turned once again to the Namek.

"How rude of you, Piccolo. I don't even know the girl's name."

"And it's going to stay that way," he retorted angrily, but before the group could say anything else, someone new joined their midst. Vegeta, looking furious, came to an abrupt stop as his steel-blue aura flared and vanished. Ignoring everyone around him, he set his onyx eyes on Cell.

"Android!" he barked, "We were fighting! You can't just run away that easily," A cruel sneer curled his features as Cell frowned up at him.

"Very well," he replied, sounding bored. And before Vegeta could react, the Android had vanished and reappeared above the Sayain. In one, swift and powerful punch, he had sent the Sayajin Prince hurtling to the ground. Comet gasped, but Cell flew after him, apparently not satisfied. Below, they could see Vegeta leap to his feet just as Cell's kick slammed into the place where his head had previously rested. The two began duking it out again with punches and kicks, faster than ever before. Awe-struck, the Z Fighters watched from their position in the air.

But there was something different about this fight. Vegeta's smug look was slipping off his face with each attack, while Cell's face was utterly expressionless. Their speed intensified, and soon all the Z Senshi could see were their forms darting through the air. Comet glanced at Goku to see him following them perfectly.

"You can follow that?" she asked him uncertainly. He nodded, but then seemed to snap out of his trance and grabbed her wrist again, an urgent look instantly flying onto his face. Comet yelped, surprised. "Geez, Goku, calm down and quit grabbing my wrist, already!"

"Be quiet!" Piccolo hissed from her right, "Do you want Cell to hear you!?"

She scowled, "Well, personally, I don't give a care, but you and Goku obviously don't want me heard. What's the big worry? Cell's fighting Vegeta - Vegeta'll finish him off..."

"No!" Goku snapped, his voice angrier than she had heard in a while. She looked back at him, startled, "Comet, this is for your own good! We have to get out of here, and I mean right now!"

"Goooookuuuu!" came Cell's voice, taunting once more. They all looked down to see Vegeta sprawled some ten feet away, while the Android had his head cocked back and his gaze fixed upward. "Don't go anywhere, now!"

Vegeta moved, struggling to pull himself to his feet. Cell averted his gaze momentarily to watch his opponent climb back up. Goku looked back to Comet, and his face was more anxious than ever.

"Comet, go!" Goku whispered to her, "I'm serious; get out of here right now! We can't let Cell catch you!"

"Catch me?" she repeated, dumbfounded, "Why would he go after me?"

But according to Goku, there was no time for questions. He gave her a slight push, and she finally consented and bunched her muscles, her blood red aura appearing thinly around her, and as it flared she took off in the direction they had been trying to escape in earlier. As soon as she began flying, there was a sudden flare of a power-ridden ki, and a huge explosion. The remaining Z Fighters looked down, and Comet paused momentarily in her flight to see what had happened, her green eyes widening as she did.

Cell was standing, still in the pose for a ki attack. Smoke was surrounding where he had obviously hit, and there was no doubt that Vegeta was inside. Cell straightened up, smirking, and then - obviously satisfied Vegeta would pester him no longer - looked back up. Almost instantly, the smug look on his face vanished to be replaced by a displeased frown. His gaze slowly traveled from one Z Fighter to the other, almost as if... counting...

"Oh shit!" Comet hissed to herself, realizing that he was counting - he had noticed someone was missing - her! Without further ado, she whipped around and took off again, faster than before, spurred by fear. Cell, upon finding only seven Z Senshi left, slowly let his gaze travel to the female form, surrounded by a red aura, flying as fast as she could in the opposite direction. His frown deepened and he crouched, his own muscles bunching. Just as he vanished, Goku followed suit.

It happened so fast Comet hardly had time to react. First, Cell appeared five feet before her, an obviously displeased look on his face, and then a split second later Goku appeared between them, facing Cell. Without pausing to think, Comet dipped down and soared under them, putting on a burst of speed to put even more space between herself and that monster. Cell turned to watch her go, but didn't move.

"Your fight is with us, Cell - not her," Goku said in a low, serious voice. The Android turned back him, his frown morphing into a scowl, but he shrugged it off.

He'd deal with the renegade Earthling later.

---`---,---@

Comet glanced over her shoulder, the wind whipping her hair back into her face. Annoyed, she brushed it out of the way... and breathed a sigh of relief. Goku had managed to stop Cell, and it didn't look like the Android was following her. Her heart considerably lighter, she slowed from her energy-sapping speed to a comfortable pace and continued flying.

Goku had only said to get out of there, and although at first she didn't like that idea - they were all so protective of her! - after being in contact with Cell for those agonizingly long minutes she was only too happy to comply. Something about him creeped her out more than the usual villain, but that effect was starting to wear off the further away she got. Soon, she stopped feeling relieved to be out of there and annoyed they had chased her off.

'It's not like they couldn't use my help,' she thought to herself, slowing even more as if considering turning around and heading back, 'After what he did to Vegeta, it's obvious they could use all the help they can get! I hope he and Trunks are okay.' The fact he had struck his own son didn't bother her, though - Comet knew Vegeta too well to think him the father-figure. But Trunks would be fine, and eventually the Sayain prince would grow to be proud of him... she hoped.

But there was no time to dwell on the rocky relationship between Trunks and his father, she had her own problems to deal with. The Earthling paused, her aura flaring around her and vanishing much like Vegeta's had when he stopped abruptly amidst their group.

"Where can I go?" she wondered aloud, gazing around her at the barren wasteland, "I can't go back there - Piccolo and Goku will eat me alive. Somewhere where Cell can't find me." She paused, thinking it over. "Not a city. If he does find me - or at least the city - he'll kill everyone in it. And it'd be my fault." Hadn't Goku told her to go to the Lookout?

"One problem, Kakarotto," she murmured scathingly, using the name she had heard Vegeta say countless times, "I don't know where it is, and there isn't enough oxygen up there for me to fly up and around looking for it!" She sighed, resting her eyes for a moment before opening them again to gaze wonderingly around her. "Looks like camping for me, then."

Slowly she floated down for a landing on the dry earth below. As she kicked at it with her boot, her memory drifted back to the crater Vegeta had made when he had gone sailing into it. It had shaken up the area around it for a good few miles, as well, and the mark left behind was a deep one. It would take a pretty powerful kick to dent this ground. She bit her lip - Cell was that strong.

And although this was a huge plain and she was just one person Cell might be looking for, she had the nasty feeling she still wasn't quite safe sitting here right in the open. After looking around for a bit, she spotted a huge boulder some fifty yards away.

'Aha', she thought, setting off at a light jog towards the boulder, 'At least I won't be a sitting duck.'

---`---,---@

Mr. Popo smiled, humming cheerfully to himself as he re-filled his watering can. True, Kami was gone - well, not technically, he and Piccolo were just one being, now - but he had to keep the Lookout's gardens beautiful; not only for the Z Fighters, but for the next Guardian of the Earth.

Speaking of the Z Senshi...

He had just come out of the main house when he noticed he had guests - eight of them. Upon closer observation, he recognized Vegeta, Trunks, Goku, Piccolo, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin and Gohan! With a joyful smile, he hurried out to greet them, and noticed Vegeta looking somewhat... under the weather.

"Goku!" he cried happily, "You're back! I was so afraid..."

Goku managed a weak smile in Mr. Popo's direction, but instantly turned to look back towards the edge of the Lookout, as if worried about something. It was Piccolo who spoke up first.

"Popo, we need to use the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Can you still open it?"

"Of - of course! But remember, only two can go in there to train at a time."

There was silence for a moment, as if everyone was contemplating these words. But in reality, Goku was lost in thought about something else, and Piccolo and the others were looking either expectantly at him, or Vegeta. Surprisingly, Vegeta was saying nothing. He appeared too furious about his fight with Cell. And then finally, Trunks spoke up.

"We'll go." He shot a meaningful glance to his father, who snapped out of his angry moping for a moment to glare back, but grumbled something under his breath that sounded like, "Fine." Mr. Popo led them away, and the other Z Fighters tried - in vain - to relax. Everyone except Goku. Still oblivious to the surrounding events, he had gone over to the edge of the Lookout and was staring down, as if waiting for something. Piccolo followed.

"She should be here," Goku murmured, sensing Piccolo just beside and slightly behind him, "I should go down and bring her back."

Piccolo didn't need to ask whom he was thinking of, or what the Sayain was thinking. He only assisted in reaching out with his senses, trying to feel her familiar ki.

"But I can't feel her," Goku continued, his voice raising in slight panic, but with his next words he calmed somewhat, "She must be hiding it..."

"She's a smart girl," Piccolo spoke, trying to reassure his past rival and present friend, "She knows Cell must feel her power level, so she's hiding it from him. If there's one thing she's good at it, it's hiding."

But Goku didn't appear at all comforted by the Namek's words. He was still mumbling to himself, so low that even Piccolo couldn't hear. But after a few moments, apparently wishing to share his thoughts with someone, Goku spoke in a clearer voice.

"She shouldn't even get dragged into fights like these. Have you noticed, Piccolo? It's too dangerous for her to be one of the Z Senshi. She's the only woman... and that puts her in far more danger than any of us. With all of these male villains..."

Inwardly, Piccolo blanched - something he would never show on the outside. He knew Goku's words to be true, and also knew what might happen if Cell found her. It wasn't certain that the Android's intentions rode along similar lines, or if he was merely toying with her before killing her. But his reaction when he first saw her was unnerving.

"There's nothing we can do for now," Piccolo said quietly in his usual grunt, "But wait. Once we're ready to take on Cell, we can go back. And with the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, hopefully that shouldn't be too long."

Goku nodded, but deep in the pit of his stomach...

He knew...

He knew it would be far too long.

---`---,---@