Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future ❯ Chapter 12: Emperor ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I DO NOT OWN DRAGON BALL Z OR ANY RACES, PLANETS, OR CHARACTERS RELATED TO IT. GALDRIA, HEVA, TIRIS, IQUELA, MIURA, ZELLIS, SETH, CLEF, HANZO, TWILIGHT AND ALL RELATED CHARACTERS, RACES, OR PLANETS WERE ALL CREATED BY ME.
 
 
Dragon Ball:
Chaotic Future
 
CHAPTER 12
 
Mad God Saga, Part I
Emperor.”
 
 
 
Miura awoke, gasping for air.
 
A soft form lay in the bed next to him, encircling him in a comforting embrace. Slowly Miura became aware of his surroundings: his own quarters in the imperial palace. He laid back down, body trembling and covered in sweat. The warm body next to him moved closer, pressing soft lips against his cheek and brushing a few strands of hair from his pale face.
 
“Shhh,” Elysia's voice comforted. “You're home now, Arius. You're safe.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Three weeks earlier…
 
Clef and Hanzo carried Miura back to the village.
 
It had been nearly three hours since the final confrontation with Mylember, and still the young Galdrian heir had not regained consciousness. His energy was dangerously low, and his companions feared that he may never wake up at all.
 
“What happened back there?” Zellis asked once they had arrived safely in the village. Dende had secured a small but comfortable building for their use, and the young noblewoman now sat beside the bed that held her comatose brother. “I've never felt a power like that,” she whispered, wiping Miura's forehead with a damp cloth.
 
“I'm not sure, though I suspect he'll think twice before he tries something like that again,” Clef responded, shaking his head. The Namekian could still remember the terrible amount of life force that was drawn out of his half-Saiyan friend. It was too close, he thought. His body just can't sustain a power like that… no one's can. Clef looked down at his bedridden companion, barely able to recognize him. “If Miura ever attempts a stunt like that again, he probably won't live through it…”
 
Miura was pale, even more so than before, and his closed eyes were surrounded by dark circles, as if he hadn't slept in weeks. His cheeks were gaunt, and his hair appeared dull and sickly. Even Miura's energy felt different than usual, and Clef feared that he may never fully recover from the strain of his final attack.
 
“We leave, now,” Hanzo suddenly ordered, lifting his unconscious half-brother from the bed. “I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it seems to me that the best place for Miura to recover would be on Galdria.”
 
“You're right,” Zellis said, opening the door for Hanzo. “His body's supply of Galdrian energy has been greatly depleted. The only way to restore that lost energy is by getting him home.” She turned to Rika and Trunks, who had remained silent thus far. “I hope the two of you don't mind accompanying us?” she asked, feeling awful for putting the two earthlings in this position. Trunks only grinned at her as he stood.
 
“Actually, I'd be honored to go with you,” he said. “I've heard so much about Galdria, I think it'd be great to finally see the place with my own eyes.” Rika nodded agreement, looking forward to being reunited with Gabriel and the others.
 
After saying their farewells to Dende and the other Namekians, the party made their way back to their ship, arriving in time to see Hanzo exit after having placed Miura in his bunk.
 
“Well, let's get on with it!” he ordered, gesturing for the other four travelers to board the Capsule Corporation spacecraft. “The longer we wait, the worse he gets, and I will not let him waste away and die, not before I'm able to exact my revenge.” He was pointedly ignored by the others, who were deep in conversation.
 
“Zellis,” Trunks asked, looking at the ground, “why didn't you have Porunga grant my wish?” He looked up, meeting the young noblewoman's gaze with his own, teal eyes flashing slightly in anger. “I thought we'd agreed to have the dragon grant my wish first…”
 
Zellis was speechless, feeling suddenly ashamed of herself, even though there was nothing she could have done. No matter how hard she tried, Zellis couldn't find the right words to answer Trunks, who waited patiently for some kind of response. Rika saved her the trouble.
 
“We tried,” she said, placing her hand on Trunks' arm. “Porunga said that he couldn't restore them to life, that they'd been dead too long.” She shook her head and looked away, ashamed to meet the half-Saiyan's heartbroken gaze. “I'm sorry, Trunks. There's no bringing your friends back, not now. It's too late.”
 
“That's not true,” a dry, pain-filled voice softly spoke from behind the five warriors. “There… may… be… another… way.” The party spun around, startled by the voice, which sounded uncomfortably familiar to them.
 
“Impossible!” Clef exclaimed, his eyes wide with disbelief. Lying on the ground, using his arms to drag himself toward the group, was a bloodied and dying Mylember. “How could you have survived that?!” the Namekian bodyguard shouted, staring in shock at the broken Hevan lord.
 
“I didn't survive… it… Namek,” the dying Mylember gasped. “I've come to… apologize for my… actions. I was… sick… but now, I… I feel normal again…” He swallowed hard, clenching his eyes shut with pain. “And I over… heard your little… conversation… just—” He was interrupted by Trunks.
 
“What did you mean, `there may be another way?'” he asked, rushing to the once proud Hevan's side. “Do you know of another way to bring my father and the others back?” The purple-haired Saiyan knelt down beside the dying warrior, awaiting his answer.
 
“Tiris…” Mylember gasped, coughing up a mouthful of blood. “One of the… moons of my home… planet…” he continued, struggling for breath. “There you… will find six… ancient relics… which will summon… a god!” Mylember again went into a fit of coughing, trying his hardest to finish. “Legend says… this god will grant… a single wish… no limitations…”
 
Hanzo smiled grimly before extending his arm toward the suffering Hevan lord. “We appreciate your information,” he snarled as his hand began to glow with energy. “But you're wrong if you think this little story of yours is worth your life.” Before Mylember could even beg for mercy, Hanzo unleashed his attack, and the renegade Hevan was obliterated, leaving only a blackened patch of earth where he had lain.
 
Trunks, Rika, Zellis, and even Clef stared at Hanzo, horrified by the expression of glee on his face. Trunks stood up from where he had been kneeling, still smelling the stench of incinerated flesh, and cast an enraged glare at Hanzo. Clef tensed, prepared to step between the two Saiyans if necessary.
 
“Well,” Hanzo said with a smirk. “Shouldn't we be going?”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Miura remained bedridden.
 
For five days after finally regaining consciousness, the fatigued future Emperor was forbidden to leave his chambers by Princess Elysia. Anyone who had business with the heir was permitted to visit with him for a short amount of time before being kindly asked to leave Miura in peace so that he could rest. But regardless of the rest, regardless of being back on Galdria, the half-Saiyan's energy and strength remained dangerously low. Despite all of the restorative power of his home world, Miura's life force refused to increase, leaving him exhausted and fatigued. On the fifth day of his convalescence, Miura received some unexpected visitors.
 
“Seth!” Miura exclaimed as the old merchant from Applicah, along with his daughter and bodyguard, were escorted into the room by Elysia. “You don't know how much better it makes me feel just to see you alive again,” he said, eyes downcast. “I'm so sorry about what happened, Seth, about the suffering that I've caused you and Twilight.” Miura smiled slightly at Clef, who watched the recuperating heir with a dubious expression. “Not you, my friend. I can't say that I'm sorry for what you've been put through because of me.” The half-Saiyan's eyes flashed slightly, showing some sign of his former strength. “I owe you a lot, Clef. And I thank you for standing with me.”
 
Seth exploded into one of his famous chuckles. “I don't deserve your apology, Miura. If not for you, Twilight and I, and probably Clef, too, would be dead right now. If anything, I should thank you for protecting my daughter.” The old man walked to the edge of Miura's bed and patted the young heir on the shoulder, pride and tears shining in his dark eyes. “So, thank you, my friend. For everything.”
 
Twilight nodded agreement with her father, but it was Clef who spoke. “Actually, the three of us were wondering if you wouldn't mind putting up with us for a little while longer.” The warrior from Namek smiled at his young companion, once again seeing a small flash of power in those bright purple eyes. “Seth and Twilight would like to help with the reconstruction of the city, and I'd like to make sure you don't slack off on your training… Emperor or not.”
 
“The three of you are always welcome here,” Miura responded with a laugh. “Stay as long as you like, forever for all I care.” The Galdrian heir glanced toward the door, where Elysia stood impatiently tapping her foot. “I'm afraid my future wife has decided that our visit has gone on long enough,” he said, casting an affectionate smile in the princess' direction. Seth, Twilight, and Clef nodded and left the chamber, wishing their comrade well. Once the three of them were gone, Elysia spoke.
 
“Arius,” she said, a look of concern clouding her flawless features. “You have one more visitor, one that Dorian insists you see.” Miura raised a questioning eyebrow, but Elysia merely shrugged. “I know as much as you do, I'm afraid. But Dorian is adamant…”
 
“Very well,” Miura replied, settling back into his bed, prepared for a long, drawn out meeting with some noble or influential commoner. “I trust your brother's judgment, and if he insists that it's important, it must be.” A moment later Dorian entered, followed by a woman that Miura could only describe as stunning.
 
While tall, slender, and very well proportioned, this mysterious woman was much more than some attractive Galdrian noble or merchant's daughter. She radiated power, and her body nearly glowed with a strange energy that caused Miura's skin to crawl. Her hair, which was a shade of dark brown similar to Rika's, was pulled back in a tight ponytail, leaving only a stray wisp or two to frame her face. Shining golden eyes stared out from a perfect oval face of flawlessly tanned skin. Her lips were full, but lacking any kind of cosmetics to add unnatural color. The woman wore a long, nearly form-fitting red gown that played up her bronzed complexion, a rarity among the people of Galdria, were almost all fair skinned. She smiled slightly, a faint blush gracing her cheeks as she noticed Miura's appraisal of her.
 
Dorian looked at Miura, a stern expression on his face. “My Lord Arius Miura de Galdri, heir to the imperial throne, may I have the honor of introducing Lady Kirien, ambassador from the world of Genji.” The woman bowed slightly to Miura, her eyes never leaving his. “Lady Kirien has been sent as a representative of her people, in regards to the recent conflict with Galian du Adean.”
 
Miura narrowed his eyes slightly, trying to remember the location of planet Genji, and why its people would be concerned with his struggle against Galian. I'm sure I've never heard of a place called Genji, he thought to himself. I don't even recall it being mentioned anywhere in the Hunters' data base But it wasn't just his uncertainty regarding Kirien's home world that worried Miura, it was the unusual and incredible power that flowed from her. A quick glance at Elysia assured Miura that he wasn't the only one confused by this mysterious woman.
 
“My lord,” Kirien said as she straightened up from her bow. Her voice was musical, and the sound of it sent chills down Miura's spine. “I can see that you are… confused by my presence here.” The brown-haired ambassador looked to Dorian questioningly, smiling when the old Prince shook his head. “Now I understand,” she said with a slight grin. “You have not been fully educated concerning the history between our peoples. If you wouldn't mind, my lord,” she finished, inclining her head toward Dorian.
 
“Of course not, Kirien,” Dorian said as he approached Miura's bedside and sat down in a chair near the weakened heir. “I had intended to explain this after your coronation, but I suppose now would be a better time.” He gestured for Kirien to come closer, indicating a second chair beside his own. Once the Genjin woman was seated, Dorian looked up at his sister, who remained near the door. “Elysia, please don't take offense, but I'm going to insist that you leave us. No, no, don't protest. What is said in this room must be for Arius' ears only, as our next Emperor. Please.” To Dorian's surprise, it wasn't Elysia who protested, but Miura himself.
 
“No, Dorian,” the young half-Galdrian said softly. “Elysia is going to be my wife, she will rule beside me.” He stared his soon-to-be brother-in-law in the eyes, obviously determined to have his way. “She and I will have no secrets between us, do you understand?” Kirien watched in amusement while the old prince nodded, and Miura smiled slightly as Elysia sat quietly at the foot of their bed. “Please, continue.”
 
After clearing his throat, Dorian began his tale. “Several thousand years ago, before our society had become as advanced as we are today, contact was made with an alternate universe.” Miura and Elysia gasped in disbelief and looked over at Kirien, who only smiled and inclined her head, verifying Dorian's statement. The former heir continued. “Some event, now long forgotten by our people, brought our two `realities' together, so to speak. The best way to describe it would be… something like a rift or tear in the veil between our separate universes.” He shrugged, as if the idea was too much for his mind to handle. “The rift was never really closed, as no one from either side could seem to figure it out, so, instead, a shrine was built around it, to protect it from anyone who would seek to do harm to either world, Galdria or Genji.” Dorian lifted his downcast eyes, meeting Miura's inquiring look head on. “That shrine was added to over the centuries, until it became the imperial palace.”
 
“Impossible!” Elysia gasped, her bright pink eyes wide and alight with disbelief. “Why have I never heard of this?” she asked, wrapping her arms around herself as a chill passed through her. “Why didn't father ever tell me?” Kirien reached over, placing a reassuring hand on the princess' shoulder.
 
“Please, take no offense, your highness,” the Genjin ambassador said with a kind smile. “It was decided long ago that no one on your world, other than your Emperor and his chosen heir, must learn of my universe's existence.” She looked down, her golden eyes filled with sorrow. “It was our wish that no strife come between our two worlds, therefore the rift was kept secret from all but the most highly placed officials from both planets.”
 
“Alright,” Miura said, finally breaking his silence. “I assume that the portal between realities still lies somewhere here in the palace?” When Dorian and Kirien both nodded, the fatigued half-Saiyan stood up from his bed, stretching as he did so. “I want to see it,” he said as he made his way to his wardrobe and pulled out a heavy fur robe, which he put on over his bedclothes. “Now.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The rift was amazing.
 
Lying in a hidden chamber, below even the lowest level of dungeons, the shimmering gateway between realities was a sight to behold. Roughly twice Miura's height, and nearly five times his width, the rift could only be described as immense. A large slab of stone, a full two feet thick, had concealed the portal, but had been easily moved aside with a simple touch from Kirien. According to her, anyone of either Genjin or Galdrian blood could move the stone gate, which was precisely the reason that she had been sent to Galdria in the first place.
 
If Miura understood correctly, the planet Genji was ruled by a tribunal made up of the world's three eldest citizens. They had actually felt the negative energy emitted by Galian, even through the rift itself. Fearing that Galian may eventually discover the secret of their universe, the Tribunal had decided to send an emissary to the Galdrian Emperor, to ascertain what exactly was happening on their “neighboring” planet. Kirien had arrived the same day that Miura and his companions had left for Earth, and she had waited patiently for his return, and again for his recovery.
 
“I hope that you understand the situation that Lord Galian's rebellion has put us in,” Kirien said softly, amused by Miura and Elysia's fascination with the portal. Dorian, who had actually seen the rift several times, stood off to the side, arms crossed over his chest. The Genjin woman flashed him a brilliant smile before continuing. “My presence here is only to assure the tribunal that no backlash from the recent struggle will `leak' over into our universe. The impact that such an alien power might have on the fabric of our world is frightening to consider…”
 
“No,” Miura muttered, transfixed by the glowing mass of shifting colors before him. “I understand completely, Lady Kirien.” His attention was torn away from the portal when he heard the enchanting sound of the beautiful ambassador's giggle.
 
“Please, just `Kirien,' my lord,” she said, walking forward and sliding the stone slab back into place. The room, which before had been lit by the glowing rift, suddenly became dark, other than the faint light that emanated from Kirien's body. “I hold no real title on my home world, and the rank of ambassador is only for this journey, I'm afraid.”
 
“Fine, and you can just call me Miura, by the way,” he responded with a smile, slipping his arm around Elysia's waist. “I prefer to be informal whenever I can manage.” The four of them exited the hidden chamber and found themselves in the palace dungeon, surprised by how bright the dimly lit corridors now seemed after having been shut in the dark, secret portal chamber.
 
“If you don't mind, Miura, I'd like to remain here long enough to see your coronation,” Kirien said as the group finally returned to the heir's private chamber. “It would be good to have a representative from my home world here to witness the ceremony, if you don't mind, of course.”
 
“Agreed,” Miura replied, lying back down in his large bed. “We'll hold the coronation one month from today.” Before Elysia could protest, he continued. “If I'm not feeling better by then, chances are that I won't ever be feeling better. I think you'd agree with me, Elysia.” The princess looked down but nodded, taking her fiancée's hand and squeezing it firmly, ignoring the weakness and cold that she felt in Miura's once strong grasp.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The coronation was held on schedule.
 
Miura looked pale and deathly ill beneath the heavy robes and symbols of his newly acquired office, but the people of Galdria didn't seem to notice. They cheered and applauded as their new Emperor was presented to them, feeling relieved and blessed that Galian's destructive reign had been cut short. Elysia stood beside her lover, feeling equally blessed, but wishing that this joyous occasion hadn't come at the cost of so many lives. She looked skyward, as if seeking some sign from her deceased parents.
 
I'm happy, Mother, she thought as tears ran down her face. And Father, please don't worry about your people. Arius will make a fine ruler, and a loving husband. She cast a sidelong glance toward Miura, who sat pale and sweating on the throne beside her, his usually bright eyes dull and filled with fatigue. Please, let him recover. I can't lose him again…
 
The day wore on as each noble of sufficient rank was presented to their new Emperor, one at a time. Each had some small remark to make, or some simple gift, but all wore beaming smiles of pride and relief. Their new ruler would be both wise and generous, something they had dared not hope for while Galian was in power. Again Elysia looked at Miura, shuddering as she noticed his quiet suffering. He was exhausted, and apparently in pain, and from the looks of things the ceremony would continue for at least another hour or so.
 
Hold on, Arius, she thought, reaching out and gently taking his cold and trembling hand in her own. Hold on, for me.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Trunks waited outside the Emperor's suite.
 
It had been three weeks since Miura's coronation and, at least from Trunks' point of view, the entire planet seemed happier. Even Miura himself was feeling better, and his recovery had sped up tremendously. While still far weaker than he had been before the battle with Mylember, the half-Galdrian's strength had begun to grow once again, and his complexion was back to normal; his eyes, while still slightly paler than they had been before, were free of the fatigue that had hindered the newly proclaimed Emperor for so long.
 
The half-Saiyan from Earth was admitted into Miura's chamber by Elysia, who led him to a small office in the rear of the suite before taking her leave. Miura sat at an ornate desk, dressed in the light, comfortable robes that he preferred when in private. He smiled when he saw Trunks, and gestured for the purple-haired earthling to have a seat.
 
“I really am sorry,” Miura began, leaning back in his chair and running a hand through his unruly black hair. “I got your message two days ago, but I've barely been able to breathe with all the work I've been doing.” Noticing the expression of shame in Trunks' eyes, Miura raised an eyebrow. “Is there something wrong?”
 
“I want to go to Tiris,” Trunks responded, raising his gaze to look Miura in the eye. “No, I need to go.” He stood up and began pacing the office while the Galdrian Emperor looked on silently.
 
“This is about what Mylember said before Hanzo killed him?” Miura asked, narrowing his eyes slightly in thought. “Do you really think that what he said is possible?”
 
“So, I see someone already told you,” Trunks said with an ironic smile. “Probably Clef, right?” When Miura nodded, the half-Saiyan laughed. “There aren't a lot of secrets between the two of you, are there?”
 
“There shouldn't be.” Miura stood from his desk and walked to the window, noticing that the sky was dark, especially for this time of day. Looks like rain, he thought. He looked out over the courtyard, remembering the vicious battle that had been fought there over half a year ago. “We trust each other completely, you know. In fact, other than Elysia and Zellis, Clef is the only person I can honestly say that I fully trust.” He turned to face his guest, a small smile on his lips. “No offense.”
 
Trunks returned his smile. “None taken. You'd be a pretty poor ruler if you had blind trust in everyone.” He shrugged, taking his seat once again. “I just wish I knew what to do. I've contacted my mother, asked her advice on the situation…”
 
“And?” Miura prompted, sitting on the edge of his desk. “What does she think?”
 
Trunks sighed and looked down. “She told me not to waste my time. She says that my father, my friends, they're all gone for good. `Why dwell in the past?' she said. I just…”
 
“You just feel like you need to go?” When Trunks nodded, Miura continued. “Trunks, you don't need my permission to go to Tiris, you know. You're only here because you want to be, not because of any allegiance that you owe me. If anything, I owe you. Without the Dragon Balls, without bringing Clef and Seth back to life, I may not have accepted the title of Emperor.”
 
“I know that I can leave whenever I want to, I just wanted your advice.” Teal eyes filled with sorrow begged Miura for a solution to this inner conflict. “I really do value your opinion, Miura.”
 
“Alright then, I think you should check it out,” the half-Galdrian replied after a brief moment of thought. “What harm could it do, Trunks? Either the story is true or it isn't.” Miura stood up and walked to the window again, frowning slightly as it began to rain. “I'm even willing to go with you.”
 
At this Trunks started, surprised that Miura would be willing to involve himself in the purple-haired Saiyan's problems. “I couldn't ask that of you, Miura. You have responsibilities here.”
 
“Dorian and Gabriel can handle things for a while.” He smiled warmly at Trunks before continuing. “Besides, I could use a little break from all this work, to be honest. And it's only right, after everything you've done for me. Consider it my first official step as Emperor to mend the damage between our two races. How's that sound?”
 
Trunks felt relief course through his body as Miura led him to the door. “That sounds great,” he said before leaving.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“That sounds terrible!”
 
Elysia, clad only in a thin, nearly transparent nightgown jumped out of bed, much to Miura's dismay. “How could you tell him something like that?” she asked, glaring angrily at her fiancée. “You have responsibilities here!”
 
“It'll be fine,” he said, walking over to her and putting his arms around her. “I'll only be gone for a couple of weeks. And Clef, Iris, and Hanzo have already agreed to go with me. I'll be in good hands.” He kissed her gently on the forehead, feeling her tense in his arms. “I have to do this, Elysia. It's symbolic for me, a way to right some of the wrongs that the Saiyans and Galdrians did to each other. Please tell me you understand.”
 
“Symbolic, huh?” Elysia responded coldly. She pulled away from Miura's embrace and made her way back to bed. “If you insist on going on this ridiculous trip, so be it.” She cast a wicked glance at her future husband as he returned to bed. “But you're the one who's going to tell Dorian he's in charge, got it?”
 
“Fine, fine,” Miura sighed, pulling the blankets up around him. “You can really be heartless sometimes, did you know that?”
 
Elysia only smiled as she laid her head against his chest. “You're one to talk,” she said quietly. “Always leaving on some adventure or another. Leaving your poor, terrified fiancée all alone to worry about you,” she said, her voice filled with sarcasm. “You're going to give me grey hair and wrinkles, you know.”
 
“Am I?” he asked playfully before tilting her chin up for a kiss. “Well, if that's the case, I'd better enjoy my time with you while you're still young and attractive!” Elysia screamed in mock outrage and playfully slapped his face before the lights were turned out, and the newly crowned Emperor of Galdria spent a final night with his beloved princess before journeying to the Hevan moon of Tiris.
 
To be continued…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
In the next chapter:
 
Miura and Trunks, along with their companions, reach the moon of Tiris. Will the six relics hidden there really call forth a god, or will the party from Galdria be destroyed by a powerful new enemy, who is determined to keep the relics out of their grasp?
 
Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future
Chapter 13
Mad God Saga, Part II
“Second Chance?”
 
 
 
“DRAGON BALL: CHAOTIC FUTURE” CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT FANFICTION.NET, POJO.COM, AND DBZDIMENSION.COM
 
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE “CHAOTIC FUTURE” HOMEPAGE AT:
WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/CHAOTICFUTURE