Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future ❯ Chapter 29: Calm before the Storm ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I DO NOT OWN DRAGON BALL Z OR ANY RACES, PLANETS, OR CHARACTERS RELATED TO IT. GALDRIA, HEVA, TIRIS, IQUELA, MIURA, ZELLIS, SETH, CLEF, HANZO, TWILIGHT AND ALL RELATED CHARACTERS, RACES, OR PLANETS WERE ALL CREATED BY ME.
 
Dragon Ball:
Chaotic Future
 
CHAPTER 29
 
Mad God Saga, Part XVIII
Calm Before the Storm.”
 
 
 
Miura watched the sunrise.
 
A cool breeze blew through the small valley that served as an entryway into Bulma's hidden bunker, ruffling his long dark hair and carrying the slight scent of the coming winter. Snow came early here in the mountains, or so Trunks had said several days before, and they would be snowed in if something weren't done soon. The fiery orange sun broke over the lip of the surrounding mountain-wall, standing out starkly against the pink morning sky and casting a faint glow around Miura, who closed his eyes and reveled in the feeling of just being alive.
 
It doesn't seem to be worried about Tempest, does it?” a familiar, rough voice asked softly from behind Miura. “It'll continue to rise and set despite what happens here… Despite who wins this battle,” Hanzo continued, watching his brother out of the corner of his eye as he studied the sunrise. “It's enough to make you feel really small, huh?” He took a few steps forward, coming to stand silently beside his younger brother and crossing his arms over his chest.
 
“We are small, Hanzo,” Miura finally responded, opening his shining, nearly iridescent eyes and fixing his gaze on his half-brother. “There are millions—no, billions, at least—of planets out there that we don't even know about, Hanzo. And all of those planets have their own suns, some even have their own people, and, I'm sure, their own problems.” He smiled, almost to himself, as he turned away for a moment to watch the dawn sun finally rise entirely over the mountains. “And those are only the ones in this universe…”
 
“Hmph,” Hanzo snorted, posture stiffening just a little. “No offense, but I don't have time to worry about anyone else's problems, not when I have a big, angry, godlike one of my own to deal with.” Miura turned to see if his brother was serious, if he'd actually reverted back to the selfish, arrogant Saiyan warrior that the young crossbreed had left behind, but the smile on Hanzo's face proved him wrong. Despite this façade of indifference that Hanzo was struggling to keep up, it was obvious to Miura that his brother had truly changed, and for the better.
 
“Miura,” Hanzo began, locking gazes with his younger sibling. “A few days ago, when you were explaining everything to us, you said that the rift between our universe and the Genjins' was sealed up for good. Is that true?” he asked, raising a single, inquiring eyebrow. “I'm not questioning your story,” Hanzo added quickly, “but something's got me wondering…”
 
“Don't worry, Hanzo, you haven't offended me,” Miura answered with a laugh. “But, in answer to your question, yes. As far as I know, the portal is permanently closed.” He went silent for a moment, and a thoughtful look crossed his face. “Though, it may be possible for a being like Tempest to reopen it, since he seems to have some kind of `limitless' power.” He leaned back against a nearby tree and ran a hand through his disheveled hair. “But there is no way that any of us, even if we combined all of our power together, could ever open it again. Now, I have a question of my own: why do you ask?”
 
“Actually, something Kirien said when the two of you first arrived had me curious,” Hanzo answered with a shrug, walking over to stand beside his younger brother once again. “She told Kalen that the Tribunal had ordered him to cooperate, if he ever wanted to return home a free man again. After what you've told us, we know that she was lying on both parts.” When Miura looked confused, Hanzo elaborated. “Number one,” he said, raising his right index finger, “she said that the Tribunal had demanded Kalen's complete obedience, but you yourself told us that they were dead set against the two of you even coming back here.” He let that sink in for a moment before continuing. “And number two: Kirien told Kalen that he could return home a free man if he helped us, which is bullshit since the rift is now closed.”
 
“Hanzo, no offense but I don't see what you're getting at,” Miura countered, a slight edge of frustration in his voice. “This isn't—”
 
“Shut up and listen to me,” Hanzo interrupted, stepping away from the tree to look directly at Miura. “It doesn't bother you that she lied to him? Kalen is now working with us under the impression that he'll be able to go home! I know he isn't the most—”
 
“He isn't the most what?” Miura put in, frustrating his brother with his interruption. “The most trustworthy, is that what you were going to say?” The former Hunter turned his back on Hanzo, clenching his fists in annoyance. Why does everything have to turn into a confrontation with him?! Miura wondered, forcing down the sudden urge to strangle his half-brother. “Hanzo, Kalen's a criminal! A wanted man, why should we trust him?” He wheeled around to once again face the black-clad Saiyan warrior, narrowing his eyes as he continued. “Besides, he's the only one who can teach us what we need to stop Tempest. Do you honestly think that he'd do that for us out of the goodness of his heart?”
 
“He already has been,” Hanzo responded with a smug smirk. “In fact, Kalen's been helping us `out of the goodness of his heart' for the past few months, before you and Kirien came crawling back.” He took a step forward, and for just a moment Miura could see the old Hanzo trying to come back to the surface. “He was helping us for the exact opposite reason that you think. He was helping us,” Hanzo said, speaking slowly, “because he had nothing left.”
 
Miura remained silent, stunned by what his brother had told him. When he finally spoke again, his voice was quiet and subdued. “You're saying that you don't trust Kirien, is that it?” he asked, meeting Hanzo's wrathful gaze head on. “But you trust Kalen?”
 
“It isn't that I don't trust her, little brother,” the Saiyan warrior replied, the disconcerting anger in his eyes fleeing before the “new” Hanzo. “She's just so damned secretive, that's all. It… worries me, I guess.” He placed a firm hand on Miura's shoulder, smiling slightly as he continued. “Forget I said anything, I'm sorry…”
 
“Hanzo,” Miura said, feeling sudden, conflicting emotions. I know Hanzo's my brother, and that despite everything that he's done in the past, he's a changed person… But I owe Kirien my life. To have the two of them at odds like this… “I owe Kirien a lot, that's true,” he said aloud, meeting his brother's dark eyes and locking gazes with the older Saiyan. “But you… You're my blood, Hanzo, and that comes before anything else. If it'll make you feel better, I'll keep my guard up around her, but only until this mess with Tempest is cleaned up and we can all sit down and discuss this. Together.”
 
“Fair enough, little brother,” Hanzo replied with a broad grin. “Now let's get back inside, I don't think that Elysia's going to be happy about waking up alone.” He slapped Miura on the back as the two of them turned and reentered the hidden bunker, both of them finally feeling that connection that had eluded them up until this moment.
 
They were family.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The three Genjins sat in a trance.
 
The center of the bunker's main chamber had been cleared of all furnishings, leaving plenty of room for Kirien, Kalen, and Miura to sit in a wide circle, facing inward, eyes closed and hands resting palms-up on their crossed legs. There was exactly six feet in between the three Genjins, who sat in a triangle with one of them forming each of the three points. Energy, invisible and subtle, flowed continuously between them, charging the room with power. Since the presence of Genjin energy tended to make the other inhabitants of the emergency bunker uncomfortable, Kirien, Miura, and Kalen were left peacefully alone to master this intricate technique.
 
-Remember,- Kalen spoke silently, his voice filling Miura and Kirien's mind. -Remember that for the Sealing Blast to be successful, we must all be able to link our respective powers at the drop of a hat.- The other two Genjin warriors nodded, though the action was pointless since they all had their eyes shut tightly. -When the battle truly begins, we may not have the time to focus like this,- Kalen continued. -And we'll only have one shot, so we have to make it count…-
 
-How long?- Miura mentally asked as he struggled to control a sudden fluctuation in his energy field. -How long will it take to launch the attack? Will we be able to defend ourselves in the process?- He sighed in relief as he finally caught hold of the errant strands of power that had tried to slip away from him, and he once again linked himself with his two fellow Genjins.
 
-Miura brings up a good point,- Kirien said, her mental “voice” filled with concern. -What good will it do us if Tempest is simply able to wipe us out while we gather the power necessary to perform the technique?-
 
Kalen was silent for a moment, as if he himself was unsure of what could be done. -It is my hope that, with enough practice, we will be able to link, charge, and fire the Sealing Blast in an instant.- The undertones in Kalen's mind were clear to his companions: he doubted that such a thing was truly possible, but at the moment, he had no other suggestions.
 
-The others would help us, if we asked them,- Miura put in, gasping in surprise as the interlinked stream of power suddenly surged, nearly doubling in strength as more and more energy was fed into it. -I know that they've been through a lot, but I'm sure they all want to see Tempest sealed away again.- Silence met this thought, and Miura could sense some undercurrent in the stream of power as it passed between Kalen and Kirien. What could they be talking about, I wonder, Miura thought, feeling slightly perturbed at being left out of their conversation.
 
-We may have no other choice, I'm afraid,- Kalen finally responded. -I have fought beside them all, and they are not lacking in bravery and strength… But have they not done their part already?- Kalen concentrated a bit more strength into the current of energy, forcing Kirien and Miura to do the same, lest the link be broken. -Do you truly think that they'd be willing to face Tempest alone while we prepared the Sealing Blast?-
 
Miura was silent as he contemplated Kalen's question. They have been through a lot, he thought, frowning slightly. But what else can we do? We can't prepare the attack and hold Tempest back at the same time… Finally, Miura “spoke.”
 
-They'll do it. I know they will.-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Trunks ducked the blow.
 
Hanzo followed through, however, denying the young Saiyan Prince any hope of respite. Miura's older brother lunged toward Trunks, feinting with a lightning fast left hook while his true strike came from below. As Hanzo attempted to catch Trunks off guard with a well-placed leg-sweep, Vegeta's son realized what was occurring at the last moment, and he managed to jump back just in time. Again, though, Hanzo refused to let up, and he dashed fearlessly toward Trunks as their sparring match continued.
 
Clef watched the match with barely concealed boredom. He sat silently on the ground just outside the hatch, a pale, though finally recovering, Zellis sprawled out on a blanket beside him. Bulma, Elysia, and Dorian had decided to risk a venture back to West City, to gauge whatever damage had been done during Tempest's recent massacre. Still fearing that the mad god may be somewhere nearby, waiting for his enemies to show any sign of themselves, Gabriel had decided to accompany his father and the two women, for he wished to be as far away as possible from the disconcerting concentration of Genjin energy that emanated from the bunker deep below. Android 16 stood beside Clef, keeping a constant scan of the surrounding area, just in case Tempest decided to put in a surprise appearance.
 
“Their powers are slowly weakening, now,” 16 said in his characteristically monotone voice. Clef was forced to shade his eyes as he looked up at his artificial companion, for the sun reflected tremendously from 16's silver plating. The android kept his attention focused on Hanzo and Trunks, but Clef knew it wasn't the two Saiyans that 16 had been speaking of.
 
“Is everything okay, you think?” Zellis asked, her frail voice filled with concern. She sat up, stiffly, and looked up at 16. “Kirien, and the others, do you think they're alright?” she repeated, her shining green eyes flickering with worry.
 
“Do not be alarmed, Zellis,” 16 replied, smiling slightly. “What I am sensing is merely a lessening of their concentrated power, not their life force. I do not believe that anything is amiss.” As the massive android finished, the three weary Genjins slowly came out into the midday sun, shading their red-rimmed and bloodshot eyes as they did so.
 
“Well?” Clef asked, somewhat impatiently. “Have you guys made any progress?” He stood up and relinquished his seat on the blanket to Kirien, who gave him a brief smile of appreciation as she sat down next to Zellis. “I don't mean to sound pessimistic,” the Namekian said, leaning back against a nearby tree, “but it's been almost two weeks since you all started this `special training' of yours, and I still don't sense anything different about any of you…”
 
“This isn't training for the body, Clef, but training for the mind,” Kalen answered as he and Miura both lowered themselves to the ground at the Namek's feet. “No amount of strength will ever prepare us for another battle with Tempest. If we are to defeat him, it must be in the same way that he was stopped last time.” The exhausted Genjin fugitive lay back in the soft, cool grass and closed his tired, grey-green eyes. “Miura and Kirien are not yet ready to perform the Sealing Blast, so we will continue this `training' until they can do so.”
 
Having seen Miura, Kirien, and Kalen exit the bunker, Trunks and Hanzo stopped their sparring and walked over to join their companions. Both Saiyans were drenched in sweat, and they too dropped unceremoniously to the ground and simply lay there, too tired to speak. Silence descended upon the small valley, punctuated only by the occasional chirp of a bird, or the sound of the breeze playfully ruffling the leaves overhead.
 
“We need to discuss something,” Miura said finally, breaking the peaceful silence and instantly gaining everyone's attention. “Kalen says that it'll be almost impossible for the three of us to prepare the attack and discharge it by ourselves.” He paused, waiting for any comment from his allies, and when none came, he continued. “It's going to take us some time to gather the necessary energy, time in which Tempest probably won't be sitting idle…”
 
“Well, out with it!” Hanzo exclaimed, sending an impatient glare toward his younger half-brother. “It's obvious that you want us to help you, so instead of hinting at it and beating around the bush, why not just ask us?” Trunks, Android 16, Clef, and the others all nodded their acquiescence with Hanzo's statement. “Or did you think we'd all decided to leave the rest of this conflict entirely in your capable hands?” the Saiyan warrior finished, voice filled with sarcasm.
 
“We didn't want to burden any of you any further,” Kirien said as she lay back on the blanket, her arm around Zellis' shoulders. “Honestly, you've all done more than your fair share in throughout all of this. How could we ask any more of you?”
 
Clef snorted quietly and crossed his arms over his chest. “Your concern is appreciated, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're determined to see this through to the end.” The green-skinned warrior locked gazes with Hanzo and Trunks, seeing his own resolve mirrored in the eyes of his Saiyan companions. “Regardless of what that end is…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Tempest seemed to be biding his time.
 
It had been nearly a month and a half since the battle in Sea Wind City, and the mad god had shown no signs of his presence. Bulma, Dorian, and Gabriel continued their daily trips into West City, doing what they could to help the remaining inhabitants with food, medical supplies, and whatever else they could manage to bring in. The city had suffered greatly at the hands of Tempest, more so than it had even during the disastrous years of the androids' rampage. Bulma feared that, if West City were so greatly damaged, the rest of the planet must be in equally terrible condition. While everyone agreed that the people of Earth needed to a tremendous amount of help, they also agreed that nothing could be done until Tempest was finally defeated. And Tempest couldn't be defeated until Miura and Kirien learned the Sealing Blast.
 
Everyday life around the Capsule Corporation bunker fell into a steady routine. Every morning, Trunks, Hanzo, and Clef would go out at dawn for some basic sparring, to keep themselves in shape and ready for Tempest, whenever he did decide to make an appearance. More often than not, 16 would join the three warriors outside, using his sensitive energy scanners to search for any sign of the mad god.
 
Miura and Elysia usually got up sometime midmorning, and the two of them would share a quiet breakfast in the privacy of the small room they shared. The two lovers, who had been separated more than together for the last couple of years, were finally beginning to feel confident that soon their lives would get back to normal. Their talk often turned to their home planet, and together they'd try to come up with ways to help their suffering people, who had become all too familiar with loss and destruction thanks to Galian and Tempest.
 
Shortly after Elysia and Miura awoke, Zellis and Kirien would join them, and together the four companions would spend the early part of the day simply enjoying each other's company. Miura's adopted-sister and Kirien were nearly inseparable, and the young crossbreed couldn't remember a time when he'd ever seen Zellis so happy. As the weeks went on, the Galdrian noblewoman's recovery continued to speed up, though at times she was still overcome by bouts of exhaustion and sickness. Kirien promised that as her and Zellis' bond grew stronger, the green-haired young woman's return to health would come in no time.
 
Kalen was still an enigma to the others, for he spent almost all of his free time alone, sometimes in meditation, sometimes simply avoiding everyone else. When he did speak, or seek out someone for companionship, it was almost always Kirien, and whatever the two Genjins discussed, they kept it to themselves. Miura, Kirien, and Kalen spent the greatest part of their days continuing to prepare themselves for their next meeting with Tempest, and according to Kalen, their progress was amazing. The three Genjins would be ready to perform the Sealing Blast in a matter of days.
 
Yet even though everything seemed to be falling into place, and it appeared that Tempest's defeat was soon to be inevitable, the mad god himself had other plans…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Tempest floated high above the Earth.
 
The dark deity looked down upon the planet and ran a hand absently along the deep, still-tender scar that scored his broad chest. The pain they've inflicted upon me will be returned to them a thousand fold! he screamed within his mind. So they think that now, with three Genjin warriors at their disposal, that they can manage to lock me away again? I think not… But even as he thought those words, Tempest felt the uncomfortable chill of fear travel down his spine. What was the stop them from doing just that? Hadn't it worked in the past?
 
Could they successfully seal him away again?
 
“No,” he muttered, allowing a sudden burst of rage-fueled power to explode outward from his body, sending his tattered cloak and silver-blue hair whipping about him. An aura of blinding, multihued light flickered into existence around him as the mad god drew upon his seemingly endless supply of energy to put his plan into action. He wouldn't face them head on, for to do that would be to open himself up to oblivion. Rather, Tempest would go straight to the root of the problem: the Earth.
 
A sneer of satisfaction played across the evil divinity's frighteningly perfect features, and he raised both of his massive, heavily muscled arms above his head. With hardly any effort at all, Tempest channeled all of his extraordinary powers into one concentrated, devastating blast of energy. I should have done this from the start, Tempest thought to himself as his smug smile turned into a malicious grin. Why did I feel I had to prove something to these cowards anyway? I didn't need to face them in combat at all! No, this is a much more elegant solution…
 
Time seemed to slow down as the mad god forced more and more power into the attack, until he found it almost impossible to contain the mass of swirling, deadly energies that stormed between his raised hands. He shifted his position, turning his body slightly as he readied his attack, preparing to send the roaring, writhing blast of dark power down upon the unknowing people of Earth.
 
It seemed as if the end was finally here. Tempest would surely be victorious.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
No one needed 16 to warn them of the sudden influx of power.
 
Hanzo and Trunks gasped simultaneously as they felt the maddeningly powerful blast of energy coursing down toward the planet. Miura, Kirien, Kalen, Elysia, and Zellis all came out from the bunker, their faces pale with fear, eyes widened with disbelief. For a moment no one moved, so stunned were they by Tempest's sudden attack. It was Android 16 who broke the tense silence.
 
“That attack is powerful enough to level the entire planet,” he said, his monotone voice taking on a strangely discomforting edge. “If it makes contact, we are all doomed.” He turned his head to look back at his astonished allies, his pale blues eyes narrowing as he did so. “We must hurry.”
 
“16's right,” Trunks said, snapping out his stunned daze. “We have to move, now! If we all put everything we have into it, we might be able to deflect that blast!” Without waiting for a response, the purple-haired half-Saiyan leapt into the air, surrounded by a blinding nimbus of golden-yellow energy. Trunks tore through the sky toward the source of Tempest's sudden attack, leaving a trail of Super Saiyan power behind him as he flew.
 
Hanzo and Clef immediately followed their friend's example, with 16 right behind them. Soon, only the Miura, Elysia, Zellis, and the two Genjins remained in the small valley, watching in awe as their companions flew off toward what would probably end up being their imminent deaths. Kalen took a few steps forward then spun around to face the others.
 
“What are we waiting for!? It's now or never!” he exclaimed, clenching his fists as he stared Miura and Kirien down. “If they manage to stop that attack, Tempest will be forced to come down and face us; we may not get another opportunity like this!”
 
“Right,” Miura replied, shaking his head and wondering at his own foolishness. I just can't believe that Tempest would go to such great lengths just to finish us off! “Zellis, Elysia, stay here and wait for Dorian, Gabriel, and Bulma to get back. If Gabriel hasn't already left to help us, send him as quick as you can. Once the others get here, all of you get in the bunker and don't come out until this is over, understand?”
 
Elysia nodded once, but her pink eyes were filled with worry. Without a word, Zellis gently took the Galdrian Princess by the arm and led her toward the entrance to the hidden bunker, but not without turning to cast a glance of her own toward Kirien.
 
“Please, don't worry Zellis,” the golden-eyed Genjin woman said with a sad smile. “If we win, I'll be back with you when it's over. And if we lose… We'll both be together in death.”
 
The three warriors all looked at each other with the grim understanding that, if they failed today, there would be no one else left to stop Tempest. Three auras of light burst into being within the small valley, one a dark, flickering green, another yellow with hints of gold, and the third a stunning, brilliant shade of amethyst. Without a word, Kalen, Kirien, and Miura took to the sky, and flew off into what was sure to be their most difficult struggle yet.
 
To be continued…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
In the next chapter:
 
Miura and the others must rush to battle as Tempest prepares to destroy the Earth! Willthe power of three Genjins, and the knowledge of the Sealing Blast, finally end this struggle? Find out, in the conclusion of the “Mad God Saga!”
 
Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future
Chapter 30
Mad God Saga, Part XIX
“Victorious?”
 
 
 
“DRAGON BALL: CHAOTIC FUTURE” CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT FANFICTION.NET, POJO.COM, AND DBZDIMENSION.COM
 
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE “CHAOTIC FUTURE” HOMEPAGE AT:
WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/CHAOTICFUTURE