Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It seemed like only moments had passed when Vegeta was staring down at the older, and now only, android. He had disposed of Nineteen with ease, and was now preparing to take down Twenty. After a well acted bluff he had bought enough time to rejuvenate with the use of a sensu bean before taking off after the fleeing android.
 
“We can't just stay here!” I said in frustration, “I know Vegeta's strong but we spent three years waiting for this, I don't wanna miss it!”
 
“You know, you sound just like Goku” said Krillen as he scratched his head.
 
“Lani's right, Vegeta's not in charge here. I say we go” Piccolo nodded.
 
“Right!” Gohan added, a look of fierce determination on his face. One that I'm sure, matched my own.
 
All of us leapt into the air and followed Vegeta in amongst the rocks and caverns. There were plenty of places for that android to hide, making finding him even more difficult since we couldn't sense his energy.
 
“We're gonna have to split up” I told Piccolo, “He could be anywhere, and we've no idea where he's headed in the first place”
 
“I agree, let's split up but no one try to take on the android alone” Piccolo instructed.
 
Krillen and Gohan both headed north, Piccolo to the west and Tien went east. I decided to take the ground and make sure he wasn't lurking in a cave somewhere, waiting for his opportunity to slip past us.
 
Every second felt like it took forever to pass, I was sure that I would feel cold hands grab me at any moment (would they be cold? He was made of metal after all… at least I assume so). Though I could feel the anxiety in my chest, I felt something else override the fear. A small part of me was looking forward to finding the android, perhaps I could even get a few blows in myself, just to see whether my training had-
 
“Lani, Gohan! Get here now, the android has me!”
 
Piccolo's voice intruded on my thoughts, I darted straight back into the sky and felt for his slowly lowering Ki. The android must be sucking the life from him, I was closer then Gohan so it looked like it was up to me. With a burst of energy I soared west, in moments the two were in my sight and it seemed the android was too busy with Piccolo to notice my arrival. I twisted my body in mid-air, planning to come down from high on the android. My foot made direct contact seconds after the android realised what was happening, and it sent him hurtling to the ground.
 
“Thanks Lani”
 
“Don't mention it” I grinned, the adrenaline taking over. The others must have sensed my Ki jump as I attacked, as they all arrived moments later to glare down on the metal menace who was now cowering on the ground.
 
“Here, take this” Krillen said as he handed Piccolo a sensu bean, which the Namekian took gladly.
 
“Well, shall we start where we left off?” Vegeta demanded, “As I recall we were about to fight when you ran away”
 
“Wait Vegeta, I owe him, he's mine. If he manages to get by me then he's all yours, how's that?”
 
Vegeta smirked at the Namek, “Go ahead, I don't care if you want to fight him. But just make sure he doesn't steal any more energy from you!”
 
“Right”
 
Piccolo moved so fast he almost seemed invisible, he brought his knee up to meet the android's stomach and sent him flying backwards through the air, straight past Vegeta who didn't even flinch, and into the side of a mountain. The android paused for a moment, as though weighing up his odds. I felt nervous all of a sudden, as though there was something we were missing… how much energy had he stolen?
 
I couldn't think for long, the android charged at Piccolo, but he merely fazed out of sight leaving the android staring at a smug Vegeta who nodded upwards. The android was once again knocked to the ground by Piccolo, where he stared up at us all with fury. The fight continued, and it seemed Piccolo had the upper hand. I bit my lip apprehensively, Piccolo, Goku and Vegeta… they all seemed so confident in their abilities. I suddenly felt so… useless. Where my adrenaline had prepared me for combat only moments ago, I was now filled with doubt. Watching them fight with such conviction only reminded me that I had never really been in a situation where I had to fight for my life… I just had to hope I'd be shown enough mercy to survive.
 
I was drawn back to the fight as Piccolo removed one of the androids hands with a single swipe, it looked like I wouldn't have to fight anyway. Between them, Vegeta and Piccolo had taken out the android threat. I covered my eyes as a Ki blast from Piccolo exploded the earth beneath me, “Watch it” I grumbled to myself.
 
“I don't understand… my data couldn't have underestimated your abilities this much!” The android cried out in confusion.
 
“Your data probably didn't count on the fact that we'd be ready for you, we've been training for your arrival” Piccolo explained coolly.
 
“Yeah! Thank goodness for that, dying is such a bummer” Krillen laughed.
 
“End this Piccolo, or do I have to step in?” Vegeta said dangerously.
 
Piccolo was about to attack for a final time when we all sensed the new energy only a few feet from behind us, as we turned I felt it pass me and stop.
 
“Hey, Trunks is back!” Piccolo exclaimed.
 
“What?” I gasped.
 
Trunks? This was the boy from the future, not Vegeta and Bulma's son! No, of course! Trunks was their son, that was how he'd known… why he'd come back to warn us all! “Incredible” I whispered.
 
The look on Vegeta's face told me he'd figured it out too, though whether he was pleased or not was not so evident.
 
The boy was looking down on the android with… fear? No, confusion…
 
“What's wrong?” I asked him.
 
“This… this isn't one of the androids I've ever fought. But he's definitely one of Doctor Gero's creations”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I've never seen him before, he's different
 
The others all stared in shock, before Vegeta spoke up.
 
“Nonsense! If that's not the android you warned us about then who is it?”
 
“Hey, cut the kid a little slack would you?” said Krillen, “So they look a little different, does it really matter? We still found two androids”
 
“I guess…” Tien agreed, though somewhat unconvinced.
 
At that point Krillen turned and pointed to the sky, “Hey look, its Bulma and Yajirobe!”
 
“Enjoy this short lived victory while you still can. For I shall soon unleash androids seventeen and eighteen to destroy you all!” The android declared with triumph before exploding the earth around him with a bright, purple beam of energy.
 
“Bulma!” I cried, racing back to where I'd spotted the small aircraft.
 
But I wasn't the only one, the boy from the Future grabbed the woman as she fell from the aircraft. I darted forward and caught the small crying boy before landing on the ground where the older version of the child in my hands was settling Bulma gently onto the floor.
 
“I'm alive” she gasped, “Ah! Where's my baby?” I handed the child back into her arms, receiving a warm smile, “You got fast, Lani!”
 
“Bulma!” shouted Krillen
 
“I'm ok guys, these guys saved us”
 
I turned to the other Trunks, who was now staring up at Vegeta in shock. It must have been confusing, why hadn't his father tried to save them? He took off into the air, presumably to find out just that. I turned back to Bulma who was now trying to entertain the startled baby. She had almost plunged to her death and now she was playing peek-a-boo!
 
We quickly informed her of everything that had happened, at least Krillen did. I was watching Trunks dangle in mid-air as Vegeta raced off after the android… he looked crushed. Obviously whatever Vegeta had told him, he hadn't liked.
 
“So that creepy old guy with the moustache was an android? No, I think that's Dr Gero. I've seen his picture before in some of my dad's old science magazines”
 
“Hey! Bulma says that the android is really Dr Gero!” Krillen shouted into the sky.
 
Piccolo, Vegeta, Tien and Trunks, who had been in the air looking for the android, flew back to us at Krillen's revelation.
 
“What? How could you know something like that?” Vegeta demanded of Bulma as soon as he landed.
 
“I know what I saw, Vegeta! It was a picture of the old guy and in big bold letters underneath it, it said DOCTOR GERO”
 
I cast a glance at Trunks, he was staring dejectedly at the ground. I ignored the pair arguing as I allowed myself to feel sorry for him, only to blush when he glanced up and caught my stare. I swallowed nervously, feeling like a child who's been caught eavesdropping. But he held my gaze for a few moments before turning back to his… `parents'.
 
Bulma had gone back to trying to soothe her son before turning to Vegeta smugly, “It was an easy mistake to make. With all the modifications he's made to himself it's hard to tell he was ever human. It really is amazing what he's done… to bad I read he was such a jerk”
 
Vegeta, obviously infuriated, ground his teeth loudly. Only to turn to the next person available for attack. His son.
 
“You told us a pack of lies, curse you boy!”
 
“Hey lay off him! It's not his fault”
 
“You stay out of this girl!” he snarled before turning back to Trunks. I glared, but held my tongue. I was hot-headed sometimes, but not stupid.
 
“You told us Dr Gero was destroyed by the androids he created, not that he turned himself into one!” Vegeta continued.
 
The boy, either unfazed by Vegeta's anger or keeping his emotions well hidden, looked at the ground. His brow furrowed in thought. I realised how much that made him look like his father…
 
“I was afraid this might happen, the timeline must have shifted since my arrival here three years ago. But it was a calculated risk that I had to take”
 
Piccolo stepped forward, “Dr Gero, said he was going to release two new androids. They might be the one's you warned us about, but it'd be a good idea if you told us what they looked like. We don't want to make the same mistake twice”
 
Trunks looked up, the frown turning into a scowl, “Right. The androids that I know where created by Dr Gero for sure, but unlike the clumsy androids you know, these two are sleek and graceful. Android eighteen is designed to look like a beautiful young girl. Android seventeen is a young boy who wears a red scarf and has long dark hair. But they both have the same, lifeless eyes…”
 
“Do they absorb energy like they first two?” Piccolo questioned.
 
“No, they don't need to. These androids energy… it lasts forever”
 
“What! That's preposterous. They have to run out of energy some time” Vegeta shouted, making the young Trunks start bawling again.
 
The future version sighed and looked at Krillen, “Hey, why isn't Goku here right now?”
 
“Huh? He came down with that heart virus”
 
“Yamcha took him home to get the antidote” I added.
 
“I can't believe history has slipped this much! Goku was supposed to get the virus years ago”
 
It was then that Vegeta turned to Bulma, who was cradling the baby in her arms, “Bulma, would you forget the child for one minute! Do you know where Dr Gero's lab is?”
 
“Hmm… I remember reading it was hidden in a cave somewhere just outside North City”
 
“I bet he's long gone by now” Krillen said matter-of-factly.
 
“Maybe not, nobody saw him fly away did they!” Vegeta snapped, “That android is trying to escape on foot, he couldn't have gotten far”
 
“In that case there may be enough time for us to find his lab before he releases the androids, so we can destroy them there” Piccolo suggested.
 
“I would never do something that cowardly” Vegeta shouted, “I shall fight these androids face to face and break them with my bare hands!”
 
He made to take off but was stopped by Trunks blocking his way, “You must never underestimate the power of these androids” he said firmly, “If you really want to destroy them you have to do this Piccolo's way”
 
Vegeta smirked and ignored him, taking to the air. But Trunks only followed him, and blocked his way once more.
 
“We have to wait for Goku!” Trunks cried.
 
“Listen up, I do not need Kakarot to destroy these androids. Now out of my way!”
 
With that he shot away to the north, leaving Trunks looking stunned and disappointed as he slowly floated back down to us.
 
“He's nuts!” exclaimed Krillen
 
“I hate to say it, but now that he's a super saiyan there's a good chance he's stronger then Goku. He might just have a chance…” Piccolo said thoughtfully.
 
“No, he doesn't. And I know this because in my time Vegeta was destroyed by the androids. And I won't let that happen again, I won't let my father die!” Trunks declared before he powered up and followed Vegeta.
 
“Whoa, that's loyalty” I muttered, I sure wouldn't waste my time on someone who treated me the way Vegeta did.
 
I turned and saw Bulma staring wide eyed at where Trunks had disappeared, “Father?” she whispered.
 
“Oh yeah. That kid from the future, well he's the grown up version of the boy in your arms. Weird huh?”
 
Bulma blinked at me a few times before shrieking loudly, “What!”
 
“Er.. it's true Bulma” Krillen nodded.
 
“No way… huh. Wow, and here I was worrying that you were going to look just like your daddy!”
 
I smiled at her before Piccolo caught my attention, “I think it's time we started searching for that lab you guys”
 
“Right” we all agreed.
 
“Er Bulma” Gohan stepped forward, “Would you mind telling my dad about all of this the next time you see him?
 
“I would kid, but it looks like I'm stuck here. That android totalled my plane”
 
Piccolo turned to the young saiyan, “I think it might be best if you took Bulma home Gohan, we should be able to handle the androids without you”
 
“Hey, what about me!” called a gruff voice.
 
“Yajirobe! We forgot about you” Bulma said lightly.
 
“Oh geez thanks, it's not like I almost got blown to bits back there!”
 
“Yajirobe can't fly Piccolo, I don't think I can carry them both”
 
Piccolo turned to me, “Hey would you mind going with Gohan. Maybe the pair of you should stop in on Goku afterwards”
 
I nodded, “Sure, but I'll take Bulma if you don't mind Gohan” I whispered as I eyed the rather large monk.
 
X
 
I was sat cross legged on the rug at Master Roshi's house trying to think of what to do next. We'd moved Goku from his home to the small island after Krillen and Trunks turned up with some pretty bad news: one, they'd all been beaten by androids 17 and 18, and two, there was another android who was possibly stronger then the others. It seemed they were all much stronger then anticipated.
 
At the moment Goku was upstairs under the watchful eye of his wife, Yamcha was sprawled across the couch snoring from time to time and Krillen was currently filling in Master Roshi, Oolong and Puar on everything that had occurred so far. I bit my lip as I gave up trying to think of plan, or any way to help, and let my mind wander to Trunks and my cousin. They'd gone searching for some device that may, or may not, not be a time machine. I'd wanted to go with them, but Krillen pointed out it'd be useful to have someone with Saiyan blood stick with Goku, just in case. Of everyone at Master Roshi's at the moment, I was the only one who's have any chance against the androids, though when Krillen pointed this is out I didn't feel much pleasure in that knowledge…
 
It was then that the phone began to ring, I stood up from my spot on the floor and felt the stretch of my muscles as I hopped over Yamcha on the couch and landed beside the phone, ignoring the ex-bandits grunts as he was forced from sleep.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Lani! Are Gohan and Trunks back yet?”
 
“Bulma? No, why? Has something happened to them?” my voice was laced with worry, causing Krillen to look over from his seat at the table.
 
“No. But turn your television onto channel eight, there's something on right now that I think you all should see!”
 
I motioned at Krillen to pass the remote and flicked the TV on, switching to what seemed to be a news broadcast.
 
“Well, we have more details on the crisis at Ginger Town. Our latest reports indicate that there are no signs of life anywhere, though the apparent victims clothes have been found scattered all over the city. Our reporter has more at the scene…”
 
The television screen flickered slightly before an elderly looking man appeared, holding the microphone in a shaky hand.
 
“Er, I'm reporting live from downtown Ginger Town, and the entire place is completely deserted! All the 15,000 residents have suddenly disappeared, piles of garments lay scattered throughout the city as though these people were sucked right out of their clothes! There are also indications that they may have been trying to defend themselves against someone… or something”
 
The image of a gun laying abandoned on the grass beside a yellow shirt flashed up, my eyes were distracted however, by the small, empty blue dress by its side.
 
“Oh no!” Krillen shouted, “I bet it was the androids”
 
“I doubt that” Bulma's voice said down the phone, “and I have a feeling Gohan and Trunks are going to agree with me”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Just make sure to tell them what's happened when they turn up ok, I think this has something to do with the second time machine we found”
 
“So it was a time machine?”
 
“Seems so, Trunks can explain everything to you. I need to get back to the lab, bye Lani”
 
I placed the phone down quickly and turned to the others, who all shared the same confused and anxious look. Chi Chi came down the stars quietly, sensing the sudden tension, and turned to me for an explanation, though I was quickly distracted when I felt the presence of two energies outside… androids? No, we can't sense them….
 
“Hello? Anybody in there?”
 
It was Gohan!
 
“Hey, come inside Gohan, we've got some news for you” Yamcha called.
 
Soon we were all gathered around the television, watching as the reporter turned to the camera before freezing in faer.
 
“What's happening?” Roshi said, perplexed as the screen was filled with nothing but static.
 
“Quick, flip it to anther channel” Yamcha instructed. Krillen stepped forward to find another news report, only to find either more static or camera's lying on the ground, catching the last sounds of gunfire and screaming….
 
*
 
“We are still trying to connect with our correspondent in Ginger Town, but… it looks like he too may have become a victim-”
 
The television remained on in the background as Trunks filled us all in on his and Gohan's recent discovery. Not only was the device reported to Bulma a time machine, but somehow it was the very same one that Trunks used. Added to that, they had discovered some kind of empty egg nestled within it.
 
“So, it really is some kind of monster causing all the trouble” Krillen said
 
Trunks nodded and looked down at the capsule in his hand before placing it in his pocket, “Yeah… and now, I've got to go to Ginger Town”
 
“No”
 
“You can't Trunks!”
 
Krillen and Yamcha both protested, I stood up from the couch and waited for the three to stop arguing before I spoke up.
 
“I'm coming too” I said firmly.
 
“Me too!” Gohan said at my side.
 
“What!?” we both flinched at Chi Chi's shrill voice, but luckily for me she was only glaring at Gohan, “Oh no you're not. I think you're forgetting about your father! He's more important then some dumb creature”
 
“But if Trunks needs to fight he might need my help!”
 
“Enough, you're staying right here”.
 
“No… I'm going”
 
We all froze at Gohan's words, or more importantly the tone he used to his mother. Never in all the three years had I heard anyone talk back to Chi Chi like that… especially Gohan.
 
“Sorry kid, I think me and Lani can cover it. You should stay here with your dad, just in case the androids show up”
 
Gohan nodded dejectedly, “Ok, I'll stay”
 
I avoided Chi Chi's eyes, sure that she was going to blow at any moment. Thankfully Krillen spoke up to break the silence, “Hey, check it out ok but if things get dicey out there come back quickly. We need you to two to help find the androids”
 
I smiled as I moved to stand beside Trunks, “At least I've got the super saiyan on my side. Let's go”
 
*
 
“So do you think that whatever's in Ginger Town caused all these changes Trunks?”
 
I was easily keeping up with him as we flew through the sky, though it would take us at least another half an hour to reach our destination, why hadn't Goku taught us Instant Transmition…?
 
“It's possible… it was here a year before I first came… which could also explain your being here too if it is what's caused all the differences”
 
“What do you mean?” I said with a frown.
 
“Well… when I returned home I asked my mother about Goku having a niece. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about. In my time Goku turned up before Frieza and was waiting for him, he killed him but let Cold and the rest of the ship leave under the conditions that they never returned”
 
I gasped, “That means… I might have been on that ship; I could still be out there on it somewhere in your time!”
 
I almost dropped from the sky at the thought, another twenty years on the ship! Frieza may be gone but he never had much care for the darker happenings on the ship, he just wanted to get from planet to planet to expand his collection. His father though… if Goku had let him go I didn't want to imagine what kind of rule Cold was enforcing.
 
“Lani… are you ok?” Trunks said, concern in his eyes. I tried to smile reassuringly but it felt like the sides of my face were numb, I suddenly felt like I could feel both Frieza and Cold… waiting for me…
 
Hold on… I really could sense them!
 
“What they hell?” I shouted.
 
“That… that feels like-”
 
“I know!”
 
“But it's not possible… Frieza, his father, Piccolo… my father! They're in Ginger Town!”
 
“What's going on?” I said shakily.
 
Trunks looked at the watch in his wrist, “We're entering area 1051, that's close to where I found that weird creatures shell… and Ginger Town….” He looked at me, “You ready?”
 
I gave him a firm nod, “You bet”
 
Both of us picked up speed and soon the city was in view.
 
*
 
We were about ten minutes away when we felt the new energy behind us.
 
“It's Krillen!” I said as he fell in line with me.
 
“Good, I found you. We've been sensing all sorts of weird stuff coming from Ginger Town and thought you might need some help”
 
“Yeah good idea” Trunks replied, “I really don't know what to make of all this”
 
“Wait a sec, something's happening!”
 
“Yeah! I just sensed it!”
 
I frowned as I focused on the expanding energy, then I began to laugh loudly, “It's Piccolo!”
 
“Yeah! Wow he did it!” Krillen added cheerfully.
 
“What did he do? It must have been something pretty radical to change this much!”
 
“That's right Trunks, he's united with Kami! He's become a Super Namek!”
 
I smiled, “Finally got over it huh?” I thought, remembering Piccolo's obvious resentment for the guardian of Earth.
 
That was when I ran straight into Trunks' back, “Ow, what the hell?” I said rubbing my nose, “Oh…”
 
In front of us, right where Ginger Town waited, a huge ball of yellow energy had risen high above even the tallest of the buildings.
 
“Uh oh, I hope Piccolo wasn't on the wrong end of that blast!”
 
“Well it looks like the battle's started” Trunks breathed, eyes fixed on the huge light. I felt a tingle of frustration that he hadn't even apologised for hurting my nose… even though technically, I had run into him. He could at least show some concern!
 
“Man, what's going on down there?” Krillen said with frustration.
 
“I can sense… Goku over there!” I gasped, “But how? He's still sick?”
 
“Let's move!” Trunks ordered, powering up again.
 
As we flew through the sky towards what were now the ruins of the city, Krillen turned to me, “You think this one creature's responsible for us to sense all these power levels?”
 
“Seems so” I replied.
 
“I was afraid you were gonna say that, I hate to admit it but it seems like we've got one heck of a fight on our hands”
 
My stomach lurched, he was right. But oddly… the fear I felt earlier was gone. Over-ridden by that familiar saiyan instinct to fight. I glanced at Trunks, wondering if he felt it too.
 
X
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.