Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes Across Time ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do not own DBZ that privilege belongs to Akira Toriyama it's owner and inventor.

This story starts off a hundred years after DGT later it takes place in the years following the events of Buu. The majority of the story takes place during DBZ.

Now onto the story.

Echoes Across Time

Prologue



The morning sun, rising up over the mountains, full of promise, shone down upon the land. Morning light bathed the surrounding land in gentle hues of golden light. Chasing away the shadows of night and replacing the chill with warmth.

Animals scampered about on their morning business of finding food for the day. Birds sang challenges out to their neighbors and were answered in kind. The trees overhead were just beginning to fill with bloom. A few flowers had already opened to bath the air with their perfumes.

A small child was laughing and throwing rocks at a distant target. Suddenly, the ground gave a terrible heave sending the child flying across the ground to slam head first into the side of a mountain.

Hours later, the little body began to stir blinking into the rays of a setting sun. Confused about the present surrounding, the little figure gazed about, biting the bottom lip nervously. The air was still without the normal reassuring sounds.

The child sat there for several moments trying to figure out what had happened. An aching head was the first clue and a small hand reached back to rub the sore spot. There was a bump there but no blood. A grumbling stomach sent the little one to unsteady feet.

Feeling a little dizzy and disoriented, the small figure walked in the general direction of home and reassurance. There would be warm, caring hands to kiss away the hurt. A warm meal would be waiting on the large, wooden table where the family gathered each evening for dinner.

Three older brothers would be making loud boasts of their feats of the day. They would be loudly arguing, until their mother threatened to send them away without a bite to eat. The three would then settle down in their seats. Their father would finally arrive, somewhat out of breath since he commuted from the nearby city every day. Their mother would greet him warmly then dinner would be served.

The child was on the final approach to the little, round, gray house when something made the little one stop abruptly. A small sound, that was almost soul searing, was ripped from that tiny throat. Eyes that were happy, anticipating a place of safety, grew large. Small fingers rubbed repeatedly at green eyes trying to scrub away the scene.

Disbelief was front-most but the evidence could not be denied.

Where before a mountaintop had stood so proud with a little, gray house perched there. Now, all that remained was a pile of rubble. A jumble of shattered rocks and a plumb of smoke that hung like a low hanging cloud.

Small hands balled together to create clenched fists.

Long shadows began to dominate the landscape as the sun began to set behind distant mountains.

The child stood there, silently. Numb, deep down to the core. The last rays of sunlight went away. Still, the child stood there, a rock rooted to the ground. Unmoving.

The child stood there, alone in the world. The loss of family complete in a swift moment in time. Uncaring that the night chill was slowly slipping in to replace the warmth of day. Nothing mattered.

Somewhere, deep within in the child, something began to build. It was hot. Molten and white. Pressure began to build. White fire began to gather at the center.

The air around the small figure was still, with a growing chill as night spread its cloak across the land. The sky above was hazy, where dust gathered in gauzy curtains to shut away the stars.

The ground gave a warning rumble. Dust began to gather together loosely together. Slowly, at first there was a gathering of circular air. Small pieces of debris and rocks began to fly straight up. These pieces joined the dust and a circular path of air began to take shape.

A whirlwind began to form as the air took shape. Faster and faster this funnel spun until it was sucking up everything in its path. Soon it was a very tight formation almost humming. On and on it spun very rapidly as if fixed in one place. Higher and higher this funnel rose into the vast expanse of space.

The child emitted a sound that was soul shattering. A loss that was ripped from the little body. The whirlwind began to thrum in intensity, before it slipped away from invisible bonds, to rise rapidly into the now clear skies. The funnel sped away with tremendous speed into the outer reaches of the planet and deep into space.

There, it began to spread out in a wide arch. A bright flash was spread across the night sky creating momentarily daylight.

On a small mountaintop there stood a blazing light that continued to burn for sometime then. Abruptly. It was extinguished.

A little form lay, hunched over. Totally spent. Exhausted. Empty. On the cold, bare ground.