Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"For the Love of a Child"

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, the plot kind of does though. But yeah, this is all the creation of Toriyama and whatever company he's affiliated with..

*Chapter 12*

Piccolo says I fought them. Tried to tear dad's throat out. Powering up faster than they could control I went for the man across from me with murder in my eyes. I guess Piccolo and Dad held me down, fighting to keep hold of me while I screamed and swore and then cried.

I don't remember this. I just remember the pain and then the blackness that followed.

Awareness came back to me slowly. I opened my eyes and I found myself lying in my bed, something pressing on my chest. Looking down I saw the familiar presence of Goten sleeping, sprawled out on top of me. It reminded me of the day I woke up after crying in Piccolo's arms.

My brain felt muddled and I struggled to gather up my wits. Why was Goten here? Why was I in bed? What time was it? What had happened? Eventually my thoughts stopped spinning in circles and settled down to an image that was burned in my mind.

Dad.

Suddenly it all came rushing back to me and I groaned, rubbing a hand over my face.

"Gohan, you awake?" Piccolo's voice called softly from across the room.

"Yeah." My voice sounded rough and I struggled to sit up and not disturb Goten.

"What...the time? How did Goten..."

"It's almost six."

I looked out toward the window trying to make out the light. "Six in the morning or six at night?"

"Morning. You've been out all night."

"How did Goten get home from school?" I finished sitting up and carefully laid Goten down in the warm spot I'd vacated. Murmuring in his sleep he burrowed into the pillow and I couldn't help but smile a little.

"I asked Vegeta to pick him up. Bulma offered to keep him for a while but I thought you'd prefer he stay with you." He looked at me questioningly and I nodded to show my approval.

"That busybody Mrs. Thomas didn't notice I wasn't there?"

"Actually she did, but Goten apparently went tearing out of the building yelling `Uncle Vegeta' and there is no denying you Saiyans all look related, so she let him go. I figured Goten knew Vegeta the best and would draw the least amount of attention." He looked down wryly at his own green skin.

I stretched feeling aches all over my body and was surprised to see I looked rather beat up.

"What happened?"

"You don't remember?" Piccolo studied me seriously.

"I remember talking to you and then I remember..." I looked up sharply at Piccolo. "Dad. Dad was here wasn't he?"

Piccolo looked slightly uncomfortable and I scowled at him. Finally he nodded slowly.

"I'm assuming you had something to do with that?" He nodded again reluctantly.

"So why do I look and feel like I've been run over by a house?"

That's when he told me about my little temper tantrum.

I listened quietly while I shrugged into a shirt and threw on a pair of jeans and then ignoring his scowl of disapproval I popped a couple of senzu beans.

"So is he still here?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

I brushed past him and headed toward the kitchen, Piccolo following behind me.

"Because I asked him to come. You need to work this out with him Gohan."

"There is nothing to work out Piccolo. The man is dead, I've made my peace with it. Dragging him back here was really pointless. I have no desire to see him at all."

I grabbed a coffee cup and set it down on the counter, ignoring Piccolo in favor of watching the coffee pot percolate.

"I think you should talk to him Gohan, if only for a few moments. I think it's necessary. For closure."

"You really are a nosy bastard aren't you Piccolo?"

"I'll take that as a compliment."

I heard the smile in his voice and turned in surprise. He was smirking at me and leaning against the counter. I shook my head at him and sighed, giving him the coffee cup I'd taken out first and getting myself a new one.

"Look Piccolo, I don't know what you're expecting from this little `family reunion'..."

"I'm not expecting anything." He cut me off. "I just want you to talk to the man. He loves you, Gohan."

"Bullshit." I slammed my cup down, coffee spilling over the edge. "You don't know what you're talking about Piccolo. Maybe he loved me at one point but I screwed it up. I lost that chance remember? I let Cell win and let him take Dad away from me. There is nothing to love and nothing to forgive. If he loved me so damn much, why did he leave?"

"I thought I was doing the right thing."

I whirled around and saw him standing in the middle of the kitchen watching me with a strange expression on his face.

"You thought you were doing the right thing? Well that's just wonderful. Of course you were. Goku saves the world once again. So noble, so brave. Sacrificing his life for the sake of the world."

I could hear all of the anger and sarcasm rolling out of my mouth, and he seemed to flinch with each word, but I felt as if I was watching from afar, not really in control of myself or my words. Nor did I really care.

"Of course you were doing the right thing. It didn't matter about your family. About me or mom or Goten. None of us mattered because we all have to think about the greater good don't we?"

I stopped and leaned against the counter shaking slightly. I did not want this to happen. Damn Piccolo, damn that nosy bastard and damn his stupid ideas.

"Gohan, I didn't mean..." I cut him off with a wave of my hand, suddenly feeling very tired.

"No, Dad don't. I can understand your reason for leaving me, I deserved it, but why mom? Why Goten? How could you do that to them?"

He looked puzzled and turned to Piccolo, questions written all over his face.

"Goten? Who...?"

My legs suddenly gave out and I collapsed on the floor. My lungs were burning and the room started spinning. Then Piccolo was there, standing in front of me, shaking my shoulders.

"Breath Gohan!"

With a gasp I felt air rush in and I looked up at Piccolo, his face swimming in front of me.

"He doesn't know? Piccolo, he doesn't know?"

"I'm so sorry Gohan, I didn't realize."

I stood up slowly, pushing Piccolo away. Dad was still standing there looking surprised and confused. I walked over to him and stood there, watching him for a moment.

"That's too bad. I feel sorry for you, you missed out on something really wonderful. You made your choices dad. You saved the world. So what if you gave your family up, you saved the world. Your loss. All I have left for you is a lot of pity."

He stood there looking uncomfortable and rubbed a hand through his hair. "I don't understand Gohan. I know you were sad that I left, I knew your mom would be sad too. But I thought it was for the best."

"And did you think it was still for the best when it made mom so `sad' she decided to follow you? But I guess that doesn't matter, I mean you're together now aren't you."

He narrowed his eyes and took a step toward me. I stiffened and glared back at him.

"Now Gohan, I didn't know that was going to happen. Your mother was a good woman and she did the best she could raising you. We were sorry we had to leave you but we knew you would be in good hands."

"Good hands? What the hell is that suppose to mean?" I knew I was yelling but made no attempt to stop.

"All of our friends of course. Gohan, your mother and I may be gone but there are still lots of people here to take care of you. Bulma, Vegeta, Piccolo of course, lots of people!"

"Well gee Dad, what was I thinking? How stupid of me for wanting my own family. What was I thinking for wanting my own mom and dad there for me. But then I should have known better. I guess I really did mess up that bad didn't I? I knew right in that moment I wasn't good enough for either of you. That's ok, I understand that but you didn't even give..."

I cut off my sentence before I could finish. "No. Never mind it doesn't matter. You made your choice, and now I'm making mine."

I turned away from him and looked at Piccolo. "This is your brilliant mess, you take care of it. I'm going to go take a shower."

Ignoring my old mentor and father I turned my back on them both and walked out of the kitchen.

-------

"You really are an ass you know that?"

"What's that for? First Gohan and now you, I have no idea what's going on Piccolo! I really don't get why Gohan is so mad at me. You can tell he's been living with Vegeta though. Sheesh, what a grouch!"

"Goku, didn't you ever bother to check in with your son, see what he's been up to?" I studied him but he just grinned and shook his head.

"Nah, we figured Bulma had it all covered. Though I have to admit I'm a little confused now. Like that stuff Gohan was going on about, Goten? Who's Goten?"

I sighed and pointed to one of the chairs tucked into the table. "Sit down, this could take awhile."

TBC

*Ok, I know I'm a jerk, this chapter is a bit later than it should be, but if it makes you feel better I have the next chapter mostly written so there shouldn't be a delay in that one, look for it Thursday. Anyway, my real reason for this one being a little late is all of your reviews. Holy cow, you people are all amazing!!! Your generosity and comments totally blew me away. And I was absolutely terrified of messing this chapter up. All the feedback I got from the last couple chapters...I didn't want to let you guys down. So I took my time and tried to do the best I could. I'm sure there are some of you (maybe a lot) that are going to be disappointed with the way I handled this scene, I'm not sure. And there is more of course, this isn't the end of the matter. But I hope I didn't disappoint you guys too bad. Thank you again for all of the reviews, they inspire me, terrify me, and plant my butt in my seat to get me going. :) *