Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For the Sake of the Saiyan ❯ The Secret of the Tower ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: Arigatou to the 2 people who reviewed the last 3 chapters. It doesn't really matter, I'm not going to abandon this fic just because nobody reviewed it (I can see Ember jumping for joy, lol). Here's the next part, enjoy.

Disclaimer: Don't own, don't make any money from writing this. There.


Part Four-Secret of the Tower


Anai ran back into the ready room, Nemie on her heels.

"Wait, Anai, before you look in Trunks's personal files, Lorn wants you to look at the experiment log that was used to create us."

"I can do that later. Right now, I've got to find a way to help Vegeta."

"But there's something even more important on those disks, Anai."

"Like what?" Anai kept up her brisk stride across the compound.

"Like the scientific process Ryukin used to bring Vegeta back from the dead."

Anai stopped abruptly, making Nemie slam into her from behind. Anai spun to face her sister. "Why didn't you come get me to see this earlier? It may have information that we could use!"

"We wanted to let you sleep. But now that you're up, you can read it."

Anai followed Nemie over to the genetics lab where Lorn still sat, skimming over the information on the disk.

"Show me what you found, Lorn." Anai said, leaning over the Alikai's broad shoulder.

Lorn started back at the beginning of the document, and Anai began to read:

"Remains of specimen were extracted from cryogen chamber and deposited in Class AA Generation Tank. Tank was filled with fluid containing chemicals C, Co2, H2O, and experimental catalyst Kolmine.

"General Ryukin supplied 5,000 joules of initial energy every 12 hours for the first 36 hours. 1,500 joules of energy were provided every 24 hours afterwards.

"Kolmine reacted as predicted. Remains of specimen began to be restored approximately 1,000,000 cells per hour."

Anai couldn't read any more. She stood up straight, her face stony and her eyes hooded.

"So...they used some sort of energy absorbing chemical that restores lost cells? Incredible. Do I even want to know where Ryukin got all that energy?"

Lorn glanced up at her. "The log doesn't say, but I have a feeling I know."

Anai nodded. So did she. Ryukin had a special ability to assimilate the ki energy imbedded in humans and put it to use. Ryukin couldn't keep for himself; he'd explode with the overload. Most of the time, he would absorb the energy from the people he conquered and used the ki to power up his soldiers. In this case, he consumed the ki from innocent victims and injected it into this unusual liquid to grow Vegeta's cells back.

"I'm glad you showed me this." Anai said softly. "But it doesn't help us. All this experiment was able to do is create the cells. It didn't restore the energy. We still have to find something to bring him back."

She turned away and started back towards the Mainframe. She slid into a seat and pulled up a hidden file that no one had ever opened except Trunks Brief himself.

A window popped up on the three-dimensional screen: Password Required.

Anai bit her lip and said softly, "Bulma."

The screen changed to a page filled with text. Anai took a deep breath and began to skim the words. She tried to block out the emotions that came with reading a form of her master's "journal" and focus on the objective content. After a little less than an hour, Anai found something that caught her attention. She clicked a link on the screen and a colorful, detailed map appeared. Anai stood up to look down at the map that spread across the table top. A map of Earth.

"Nemie? Come here a second."

"Yes?" Nemie said, coming up beside her.

"Look at this." Anai indicated a tall, slender tower that stretched up far above the map.

Nemie stared at it curiously. "Wow! I've never seen anything like that in Sector 129. What is it?"

"I don't know." Anai gingerly touched the spot on the screen and a new window sprang up. The two Saiyans read with interest.

"Karin's Tower and Kami's Lookout."

"Kami?" Nemie said, "The former Guardian?"

"It must have been his sanctuary." Anai reasoned. "But I've never heard of Karin's Tower." She tapped the button beneath the title and the map image changed to text.

It was the story of Karin, the intellectual cat that grew and harvested the magic senzu beans. The beans healed wounds and...replaced lost energy reservoirs.

"Sweet Kami, Anai! You found it!" Nemie exclaimed happily. She jumped up and down excitedly, laughing.

Anai leapt up and the girls hugged tightly, both grinning with relieved delight.

"What in the world is going on?" Silva asked, walking over with the others not far behind.

"Yes, an explanation of why you two are acting like sugar-high children would be nice." Mercay interjected.

Anai spared a glare at him, but otherwise ignored the remark. "We found something that will solve our Vegeta problem. Take a look." She pressed a button on the computer and the screen expanded so everyone could read it.

"This is great!" Ren said. "Are we going to talk to Karin?"

"I think it would be better if just Nemie and Anai went." Kyris jumped in quickly.

"Why?" Silva asked. "I'd like to meet this Karin."

Kyris stammered his response. "Well, he might be...I don't know, scared or something. I mean, if just the twins go, then he won't feel threatened."

"He has a point." Anai replied reasonably. "Karin, if he's even still alive, has been up in this tower for who knows how long, seemingly alone. And from what I've read on here, he doesn't care much for humans...or Saiyans."

"So when do we leave?" Nemie asked, immediately bouncing on the balls of her feet in anticipation.

"Not before dawn." Anai answered. "We all need sleep, traveling will be easier in daylight, and maybe by then Ryukin's troops will be tired of searching for us." She thought a few minutes before speaking again. "I don't know how long we'll be gone. It shouldn't take us long to find the tower, but we may stay a day or two, depending on what we find there. We'll need supplies."

"I'll pack some capsules." Silva offered.

"Thanks Silva. Do me a favor and stick miniature holo-vid 5 in there too."

"What? Why?"

"Just in case we have to convince this cat that we are who we are."

Silva nodded and walked away to prepare the capsules.

Anai turned to the others. "The rest of you, except Mercay of course, get some sleep. I'll finish up here, then retire myself."
* * *
The next morning around seven o'clock, Anai and Nemie finished a small breakfast of eight pieces of toast, five eggs, one grapefruit, and three bananas each.

"Man, I'm going to hungry again in an hour." Nemie complained as she stepped out of the shower and flared her ki to dry herself off.

"I know, Nemie, me too. But our food is running low and we have to save it until we find another one of the Army's provision transports to hijack." Anai replied as she pulled her hair up in a tight ponytail.

"Girls? You decent?" Ren's voice asked from the entryway of the locker room.

"Um, just a sec." Nemie pulled on a pair of shorts and a shirt. "Yeah, come in."

Ren entered, carrying a large box. He set it on the bench by the wall. "I have something for you."

"What is it?" Anai asked, eyeing the box curiously.

"Remember how Bulma had files on everything she ever invented? Well, I found something in there that I thought you two might like to have." He opened the box and pulled out two white and gold chest plates.

"Is that...Saiyan armor?" Nemie asked, reaching out to take one of the proffered items.

Ren nodded with a smile. "I had the computer working on it last night. The rest is in the box. I had to make some adjustments, but now it should be a perfect fit."

Anai grinned and pulled the blue garments out of the box. "Thanks a million Ren."

"No problem. I just figured you'd better make a good impression on this Karin." He turned and walked out to let them get dressed.
The two put on the armor and stood looking at each other. The armor's undershirt and pants were deep blue and skin-tight the chest plate was lightweight and durable, and the gloves and boots were like a second skin.

"We look like true Saiyans now." Nemie said doing an experimental kick to see how flexible the material was. She was surprised when the fabric gave no resistance.

The rest of the Renegades were waiting for them in the ready room when the twins came out.
"Trunks would be proud." Lorn said appreciatively.
Nemie chuckled and flipped forward effortlessly to show off.

"Did you remember the video hologram?" Anai asked, taking the capsule case from Silva and sliding it into the front of her armor.

Silva nodded. "Yes, number 5. There's also a small capsule house in there, a refrigerator with food and drinks, a first-aid kit, a digital palm map and a change of clothes for each of you. Just in case."

"Thank you, Silva." The redhead turned to her charges. "Like I said before, I'm not sure when we'll be back, but if we don't return in a couple of days, come looking for us. As usual, Ren's in charge while we're away, and no one is to do anything that might attract unwanted attention. Especially now, what with the Dark Warriors searching for Vegeta." She glanced over at the still unconscious form lying in a medical bed. "Take care of him as best you can and guard him with your lives. Those are your orders until we get back. Understood?"

They nodded silently. It wasn't so unusual for the twins to leave on a solo mission, but this time the Renegades had to be extra careful; if Ryukin found the headquarters while the main defenders were gone, there would be no chance of fighting the enemy off.

"Take care." Kyris said as they turned to go.

Nemie grinned over her shoulder at him. "We will. Don't you worry about us!"

Mercay watched as the girls started up the staircase that led to the exit. Be careful. He thought. Remember this is for the sake of the Saiyan.

Once outside, Nemie made sure the coast was clear before they took off in the direction of Karin's Tower.

At first, the journey was quiet except for the whoosh of their surging ki and the wind. They were lost in thought about different things: Trunks, Vegeta, the Dark Army, and especially what they would find at Karin's Tower.

Below them, the earth flew by. They passed dense forests, meadows, dry sandy deserts, and tall snow-capped mountains.

"How far exactly do we have to go?" Nemie asked, breaking the silence.

Anai pulled the capsule box out of her armor and drew out a small digital map. She tapped a button and a translucent screen sprang to life.

"No more than 2,000 miles." She said, replacing the box to its hidden pocket.

Nemie grinned. "Okay. Hey, see that really tall mountain up there?" She pointed to a towering peak far along the horizon that's highest point was shrouded with clouds.

"Yes."

"Race ya to it."

Anai chuckled. "You're on. On your mark, get set, GO!" Her ki flashed brighter and she bolted across the sky like a bullet.

Letting a burst of her own ki loose, Nemie wasn't far behind.

They flew as fast as they could, feeling the air pressure build in front of them. Then, as they had expected, a deafening sonic boom resonated through the air.

Anai laughed out loud, flying dramatic, gracefully loops around Nemie, who struggled to keep up.

"If you had trained with me in the Gravity Room when I was working on my speed, you would have been able to beat me." The redhead commented lightly.

"Shut up, Anai! I can still beat you!" Nemie powered up and transformed to Super Saiyan. Instantly, she left her sister behind in a fading yellow energy trail.

"You're cheating!" Anai shouted after her, turning Super Saiyan and giving chase.

Their good-natured arguing and romping went on for a good part of the day. They stopped once for lunch, then resumed their child-like playing.

Suddenly, Anai stopped. Nemie joined her, asking what was wrong.

Before Anai answered, she consulted her map. "We're here."

Nemie looked around. "What? I don't see anything but trees and blue sky."

"These are the coordinates on the map. Karin's Tower should be right here."

"Anai, there's nothing here. Oh Kuso, what if Ryukin destroyed the tower, too?! We're all screwed!"

"Calm down, sis! Let's just think for a minute. Where-" Anai faltered mid-sentence.

The sky was changing. Not a hundred yards away, the air literally began to twist, forming a very large solid mass.

The twins watched in awe as the shifting atmosphere took shape. It became a thin column that stretched high into the sky, extending farther than the eye could see. A few minutes later, the Saiyans were staring at a chipped stone pillar that led up to a landing. Above the landing were the remains of what looked like the bottom half of a child's spinning top, only much more colossal. The structure appeared to have just collapsed in on itself; it was left in mangled ruins.

"Kami's Lookout." Anai managed to say. Her voice was barely a whisper.

"And that must be Karin's Tower." Nemie said, pointing to the platform below the lookout. Her eyes were wide with amazement and sparkled with excitement.

They floated there, staring, for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, Nemie snapped out of her daze and grabbed her sister's hand.

"Come on, let's see if anybody's home."