Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Fortune's Fool ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own DBZ.
 
Chapter 1
 
The end of the world came on a normal day. There were no evil villains bent on destroying the universe, no last minute fight to save the day, nor were there desperate prayers sent up to the kais in the hopes of changing the cruel destiny that awaited them. Instead, the end of the world known as Earth occurred on a day filled with sunshine and laughter. A day where mothers walked their children to the park or the pool, where teenagers walked the malls, and where people rejoiced in the lazy heat that was summer.
 
And, naturally, on a day as glorious as this, no one was any the wiser when the world ended in a puff of smoke. In a matter of seconds, the sky changed from its brilliant blue to a velvet black that seemed to suffocate everything under it, and before anyone could even begin to comprehend the implications of this change it was, well, over.
 
The Earth was gone.
 
Six billion people vanished from the universal plane, and appeared in the Otherworld, a new and somewhat odd place to be in, to be sure. King Yemma, of course, could not blame the destruction of Earth on anyone, since, as he discovered, Earth was not due to be destroyed for quite a few thousand years. Needless, to say he found this event quite disturbing. But, as the Otherworld king was forced to note, it wasn't like there was anything that could be done.
Days and weeks passed without incident in Otherworld as King Yemma went through all the inhabitants of Earth, sending them either up or down, depending on their actions in their prematurely shortened lives. Judging an endless stream of people had caused him to forget the disturbing fact that there was a mass murderer somewhere, but it wasn't until he ran into a very
interesting group that he remembered the problem that still had to be dealt with.
 
“Hi, King Yemma!” said a cheerful, which, as Yemma saw, belonged to a tall man in a bright orange training outfit, who, even though he was dead, looked as if he couldn't be any happier. Yemma eyed the man, trying to place him, but after so many entries into the Otherworld book, he didn't have the mental incapacity to remember familiar faces. He sighed, running his hands
over his face. “Name.”
 
The man looked profoundly disappointed, which kind of seemed out of place, but quickly recovered with a gesture that Yemma found most odd. But, he thought drearily, it wasn't like he could call anyone odd; he more than a few attributes that caused quite a few people, despite their race, to stop and stare. Yemma sighed, “I know you don't I?” he asked, staring at the man in his disgustingly bright clothes and the group of people that had walked up behind him.
 
“Yep! But, I guess, with all the people you've had to go through, it's kind of hard to remember,” the man said, giving Yemma a bright grin that nearly blinded him.
 
“You're telling me,” Yemma groaned, eyeing the endless stream of people that followed this group.
 
“I'm Son Goku, by the way,” he said, frowning as he turned and looked at the people lined up behind him. “Do you know what happened to Earth? One minute we were enjoying a nice picnic, and the next, well, we were here.”
 
Yemma stared at his hands, grimacing with extreme distaste at the ink stains that seemed to dwell in every wrinkle and crevice. He should really find another job. All this endless paperwork was so pointless. He frowned, considering the people before him. Son Goku? Then it clicked and he glanced upwards with a relieved sigh.
 
“Goku. It took me a minute, but now I remember. I've been waiting for you. You and your friends need to go visit the North Kai on his planet. Between the two of you maybe this mess will get dealt with.”
 
Goku looked confused, scratching the back of his neck as he gave a little laugh. “Uh, okay? Do I need to leave my friends and family or can they go too?” he asked, looking at ChiChi who was holding Gohan's hand in such a tight grip that it was a miracle that it hadn't fallen off.
 
“They can accompany you, but I expect no trouble, Goku. You will not make any unauthorized trips to Hell. I still have to deal with the consequences from your last visit there,” King Yemma replied, as he picked up his sorely abused pen and marked the names of the people in front of him. “Now please be on your way, so that I can get through the rest of these people.”
 
“Thanks, Yemma! Come on guys, let's go,” said Goku as he stepped away from the large area and headed towards a small door on the left. Following quickly, the group known as the Z Senshi and their friends vacated the area and headed towards Snakeway, the path to the North Kai.
 
Snakeway…
 
A long time in the past Snakeway used to be a path that only the courageous dared to walk. Not only a simple path to one of the legendary kais, it was also considered a test of endurance for those that walked the legendary route. Of course, since the first time that Goku had set foot upon the path it had been reduced to a jaunt in the park. Not only had Goku reached the end of the path quickly, but other warriors from Earth had seen fit to almost beat his record in finishing the journey. What a cruel tragedy for a legend, ending it before it even had a chance to flourish. But, as with any kind of luck, Fortune had seen fit to make this journey just a little bit different than the others.
 
“Daddy? Do you think the North Kai will know what happened?” asked Gohan, the precocious ten year old son of Goku, as he glanced down the long path. Though he had often heard stories from the older warriors, he really didn't think that Snakeway looked that welcoming. In fact, it seemed sort of ominous to him. There was something dark and dreary about the road ahead that Gohan really couldn't put a finger on. Not that he really wanted to.
 
“I hope so, son. I really don't see why he shouldn't though. After all, he is in charge of our part of the galaxy. Surely, he wouldn't miss something as important as the Earth's destruction!” he finished brightly, giving Gohan a quick squeeze to reassure him as he eyed the road in front of them. He hoped that he hadn't missed it anyway. Who knew? Maybe the Kai had been taking nap when it happened. Maybe he had no clue what was going on. But, he thought as he mentally shook himself, there was no use getting worked up over a bunch of questions.
 
Vegeta snorted, bringing the Earthborn Saiyan back to reality. “You think that, Kakarrot. But we both know that those silly creatures are too busy with their own selfish interests to even be bothered with their duties of protecting the galaxy,” he said, crossing his arms over his well-defined chest, which was, once again, decorated in the spandex that had become his clothing of choice upon his arrival on Earth. There was really nothing else like Earth fashion. Often gaudy and tasteless, there was a jewel every now and then that bespoke of some ancient fashion designers who knew of the age old adage that history repeats itself. Naturally, Vegeta being the prince that he was, had latched onto the comfortable, aerodynamic, washable spandex the moment he had seen it.
 
“Now, Vegeta. You shouldn't judge them so harshly. Everyone has their vices,” Goku stated, frowning at the prince. It was amazing how the man tended to behave. He often stayed quite during conversations, always watching and waiting for an exploitable weakness, but when he found he struck with the swiftness of a viper, often leaving his victims dazed and confused. But not since he had met Goku, of course. From their very first meeting, any attempts at total verbal and physical dominance had been thwarted by the happy-go-lucky Saiyan.
 
Vegeta frowned. “Whatever. Let's just go talk to this idiot kai and get everything fixed, so that I can get back to my training.”
 
Goku sighed, feeling his patience begin to stretch thin. “Fine. I'm ready whenever you are,” he said, giving the prince a little half-bow, which, as he had predicted, caused the angry prince to glare at the younger Saiyan and then take off for the planet at a speed that could only be rivaled
by Goku's.
 
Come on guys. Let's go,” he said, as he lifted into the air and began to follow the Saiyan Prince. What a day. Not only did he have to deal with being dead, he also had to put up with Vegeta at his snottiest and most egotistical. Sometimes he could swear that the gods were just tormenting him. He sighed, monitoring the kis of everyone following him. If they were against him, well, he wouldn't be that surprised. After all, been in major life-threatening battles how many times?
 
Beautiful scenery passed by as they made swift progress towards the North Kai's planet. Mile after mile passed as the group flew by, leaving a blazing white trail behind them. Smiling softly, Goku kept his eyes ahead as he remembered the last time he had been here. It had been different back then. There had been more statues, and there had definitely been a couple of people that had been living on this road. But, from what he could tell, the decorations had disappeared and there definitely wasn't anybody living here anymore. Hmm…That was strange. Where did everybody go?
 
“Goku,” said Bulma, as she clung onto Yamcha. “Are we almost there?” she asked, her blue eyes filled with worry and concern. She hoped that they would get there soon. She wanted to find out what was going on. After all, it wasn't everyday that some strange being up and destroyed Earth for no particular reason whatsoever.
 
“Yes,” Goku said, giving her a quick smile in the hope that it would get rid of her concern. But, naturally, it didn't. In fact, it seemed to heighten the fear in Bulma, making her more agitated than normal.
 
Bulma scowled. “Well, let's hurry up then! I want to know what happened!” she snapped, hoping to sound tougher than she felt. With one of the few in the group who didn't have super strength, she often found it better to sound tough so that the others wouldn't think her weak and helpless.
 
“Foolish woman! A few more minutes won't make much of a difference in the news, so just shut up before I blast you!” snapped Vegeta, giving Bulma a glare. Stupid onna. Why she felt like she had to whine about everything he really had to wonder. But, it probably had to do with the fact that she was an Earth female. Those types of females had a tendency to loud, obnoxious, and whiny from what he could tell. Hmm…maybe it was a good thing that Earth had been destroyed.
 
“Oh, so the high and mighty Prince Vegeta thinks he can order me around! I don't think so! Try it again little man and watch what happens!” Bulma shouted, wriggling around in Yamcha's arms to get to the Saiyan.
 
Vegeta stopped midair and turned to glare at the woman. “Little! You dare to call me little!?” he snarled, his rage displaying itself in his fiery aura. Nobody called him little. He was the Prince of all Saiyans! He was the leader of his race, all, well, two of them, and…he was not short!!
 
Sighing, Goku turned to face the two, annoyance displayed on his face. “Would you guys stop it? Save the catfight for later. I'm not in the mind, and besides, we're here,” he stated, turning back around to eye the planet that loomed above them.
 
“We are?” asked Bulma, looking around as she ignored the Prince's death glare that was still aimed at her full force. “But, Goku, I don't see it.” Where was it? There was nothing except the end of Snakeway, which was only a few feet in front of them, and a bunch of clouds. She continued to look around for several more minutes, until she noticed that everyone else was looking up. Blinking in slight confusion, she looked straight up and gasped. Was that really a planet? It couldn't be…
 
“Well, are you guys ready?” Goku asked, lifting himself a few feet off the ground, as he looked at the rest of the group.
 
“Yeah!” said Gohan, jumping up in the air with all the excitement that an eight year old could muster. “I want to see King Kai!”
 
Goku chuckled. “All right, then. Let's go!” he exclaimed, flying towards King Kai's planet. And with that, the rest of the group followed, hoping to hear what had caused their planet's destruction. Maybe they'd be lucky and it wouldn't be some super powerful tyrant at the root of the problem.
 
But, then again, when had they ever been that lucky?
 
End of Chapter 1! Please review!!