Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Foundling ❯ An Ending ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yellowthorn's daughter, Ryven, watched her mother as she lay peacefully in the sleepfurs. Her father was beside her, holding her trembling hand in his own. Reed had always been there for her, even now, at this most sorrowful time, he was her oak in which to shade her and keep her from falling into her own greif.

"She looks at peace." Reed said, reaching out to stroke her mother's cheek lightly, "She will never again want for comfort or food."

Reed's voice broke. His tears began and she knew they must. Her own tears would come later, when she was alone and could allow the dam that held her emotions in check to break. She looked closer at her mother's body, for that was all she was now, a body. Her spirit had already fled. She could feel it around her, surrounding her with love. Something was there, just beneath the top fur. She lifted the cover back to see what it was her mother held in her arms.

"What is that?" She asked, pointing. Reed swallowed, wiped at his face with the back of his hand and looked. It was a small figure, make of wood. He smiled, remembering. "It's the gift I made for her, a long time ago." He told his only daughter, who looked so much like her mother, save for her eyes being a different hue, "I didn't know she still kept it.after all this time.and the flood.the moving."

Ryven took the little figure into her own hands, turning it about, staring at it. It was of a cubling, that much she could see. But how old. He'd been painted green using the dyes Tanner uses on his leathers, some of having chipped away over time. It looked almost like an elf.but not. She handed it to her father, who looked down at it and remembered.something not easily done by one who had a lot of wolf-blood in their viens.

"Who is it, Father?" She asked, "Why was she holding it so tight?"

Reed placed the little wooden figure back into his lifemate's cold grip, against her chest and under her chin. They would give her body to the forest and the wolves that night. But he did not want to think on that. Not yet.

"He was your brother." Reed said, and knew his lifemate was pleased at his words, he could feel her happiness as she floated, in spirit, around him and her daughter. "His name was Littleleaf."

~ The End ~