Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye, Kahlil ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Saiyan Saga

Goodbye, Kahlil

By Queen Breeza

"AAAHHH!" Cerulean was screaming at every single rat she saw. Who wouldn't? They were half her size! If she had measured a rat's power level with a scouter, it could have easily been read to be 3,000 to 6,000. Yep, rats on planet Vegeta were no joke. No wonder hardly anyone went through the sewer system. To add to that, the Saiyans' sewer was no better than any other planet's with the trademark foul smell of wastes from toilets.

"Don't worry, we're almost there. Just a few more feet," Golen said. He took hold of Cerulean's hand and continued on. Sheesh, did all girls scream this loud? Golen quickened his pace and was very grateful when he saw the control panel that was used to unlock the door. Cerulean was gripping his hand way too hard.

"Okay, we're here," Golen said, and continued with "You can let go now."

Reluctantly, Cerulean let go of his hand. Golen punched in the code, and the door slid open.

"Kahlil?" Golen called as he entered the dull room. There was a well-polished desk, a polished chair at it, a light on the ceiling, a big toy box, and a small notebook computer on the desk in the room. The walls weren't painted, and the floor was cement.

"Secret hideout, huh?" Cerulean said. Golen didn't answer right away. He went over to the computer, which was flashing a red light, signaling that a message was there. "It's just right for low-level soldiers. But you're no low-level. I can sense that your power level is that of an elite at the least," Golen said.

"You can sense it?" Cerulean asked with surprise. "Oh, you're just like me! I can sense power levels, too. That's why I don't wear a scouter."

"Cool. I don't just wear 'em because I can sense power levels, though. Besides that, they hurt my eyes."

Golen opened the message on the computer and began reading. Apparently, Kahlil was going to meet them later, but he didn't say where. It was about that time in the message that Golen's heart skipped a beat. He started sweating blood, fell out of his chair, and clutched his chest still sitting on the floor.

"Golen, what's wrong?" Cerulean scrambled over to Golen and cradled him in her arms. She knew something was wrong, but Golen's state strangely returned to normal. He quickly sat upright and looked around wildly. He felt something was going to happen, and it wasn't good.

Bardock, the father of a future Super Saiyan, was in a heated battle with the hordes of Frieza. Frieza's ship had left the ground of the planet after collecting the Saiyan prince, Vegeta. Frieza's plan had changed, and neither Golen nor Cerulean knew of it. Instead of waiting, Frieza planned to destroy the planet NOW, not later. He had grown tired of the monkeys and knew that this was the time to strike--when the Saiyans least expected it...

"Kahlil!" Golen called out frantically. He had told Cerulean what he THOUGHT was going to happen but didn't KNOW he was perfectly on target.

Planet Vegeta WAS going to be destroyed.

And they still hadn't seen Kahlil anywhere.

"Kahlil?!" he called out again. No one answered.

"What if you're wrong, Golen?" Cerulean asked shakily. Her whole body was twitching. How could Frieza have forgotten to get her?! Did he even care?

"I don't think I'm wrong, Cerulean," Golen answered, then continued with "This is it. We have to leave the planet now, before we get caught in the explosion."

"EXPLOSION?!" Cerulean felt like fainting. This CAN'T be happening. Wait--where's Zarbon? Did he forget about her, too?

Golen's heart skipped a beat again--there's was no more time to look for Kahlil.

Golen stopped moving and asked in a cold and frightened voice: "Cerulean?"

Please, don't say what I think you're going to. We have to keep trying! "Yeah?"

"Let's go find a ship, a space pod--or something--to get out of here."

Cerulean looked at Golen with tears whelming up in her eyes. "Alright," she said quietly. The tears fell, but she quickly wiped away the evidence that they ever existed. She had just met Golen and Kahlil, but to her, they seemed like brothers; and she didn't want to lose either of them. Still, she knew very well that it was too late to keep trying.

The two friends ran hand-in-hand as they made their way to a Saiyan pod check-in station. They came just in time, because there was only one left. Along the way, they had tried to warn other Saiyans that the planet was going to be annihilated, but everyone thought they were both crazy. Too bad; at least they tried...

Bardock had finally made his way out of the tangle of warriors. Though he was tired, he continued to fight on, struggling to accomplish what he didn't know he couldn't.

"FRIEZA!" he cried angrily, "come out and face me, you coward!"

Two of Frieza's soldiers grabbed on to Bardock, struggling to control him.

As if on cue, the top of Frieza's ship opened up, and there he was in all his glory: Frieza--said to be the most powerful being in the universe--was poised to send out his Death Ball. His face was emotionless as he slowly lifted his index finger.

Golen hesitated. The thought of leaving Kahlil to die such a dastardly fate was just too unreal to him. Part of him wanted to stay and die with his best friend; the other was too scared to stick around. Golen was ashamed of this part.

"Come on, Golen! What are you waiting for?! We've gotta go NOW!"

Cerulean's voice caught Golen out of his drift, and at once he was sitting on Cerulean's lap in the pod that was realistically built for just one passenger. Without thinking, he put his arms around Cerulean's waist. This sudden action caused her jump, but she soon realized what was going on in the mind of her little Saiyan friend: it was just his way of staying secure. He wasn't trying to make a move on her.

Cerulean activated the command system of the pod, plotted the correct coordinates, and the pod took off into the atmosphere of the planet. Golen pushed a button and the pod spun around to face the doomed planet, and he and Cerulean watched as Frieza's Death Ball consumed it's core and the people living on it. The pod continued to move farther and farther away from the blast, and finally nothing was left of Planet Vegeta.

Golen looked at Frieza's ship. It had withstood the blast and debris the planet had emitted and was turning away from them, probably to destroy another doomed planet. Then Golen set his sights on the place where Planet Vegeta once thrived. With tears in his eyes, he said what he couldn't say to his long-gone friend while he was on the vessel.

"Goodbye, Kahlil."