Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Harpies United ❯ Case Studies and Thoughts ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own DBZ. (Pout) Oh, well. But if I did, Goku would definitely not have stayed dead after Cell. But he didn't, so I live with it, I guess. (Sigh)

A/N: Another DBZ fic by me!! Yay!! (Waves pom poms) I haven't really finished any of my other fics, but when you have ideas you have ideas. I ask that you please review. All reviews are really appreciated and they definitely motivate me to write more. Hope you enjoy the story!!

Chapter 1:

It was the kind of stuff you normally find in legends. Heroics, fights to the death, outrageous training schedules, and bad guys that should only exist in the imagination. Sadly, they were his life.

And, of course, so was school.

Gohan Son put his chin in his hand and sighed. He was bored. There was nothing to do. Well, he could be listening to his teacher, but it was a proven fact that anyone who paid attention would fall asleep in less than five minutes. For example:

Case Study 001: Sharpener

Date: March 12

Activity: None

Sleep Time: 4 hours 35 minutes

Poor Sharpener. His grades had been a little low last semester, so his grandmother threatened him with certain death if he didn't at least try to improve his grades. He tried, of course, but this heroic effort at a better GPA led to a daily routine that left him dead to the world by noon.

Some, also in need of better grades, tried a different, more unique approach. The more ingenious of these brave, yet few….Erasa.

Case Study 002: Eraser

Date: March 12

Activity: None

Sleep Time: None

Chat Time:5 hours 20 minutes

Erasa decided from the beginning that this year she would get a better GPA than her average 3.8.

Now, Gohan couldn't say that he was easily surprised, but this took the cake. Eraser, the bubbly blonde, was actually smart. Needless to say, falling out of his chair at the news had been a very mild reaction compared to the ones of his friends.

Now, Erasa, in all her surprising genius decided that she wasn't even going to try and pay attention. Instead she decided that she would build a tiny recorder that would be programmed to record when the teacher mentioned any dates or important facts. This way, she would get the important information and wouldn't be in danger of falling into a zombie-like trance while listening to a recording of the lecture.

Recorded lectures: Less lethal; capable of producing nothing more dangerous than a zombie-like trance.

Effects: Loss of brain cells, sleepliness, bloodshot eyes, and a lower GPA. They also have been known to destroy any information relating to fun.

Other than Erasa and a few intrepid pioneers, the only ones to even partly escape this deadly boredom was himself and…Videl.

Case Study 003: Videl

Date: March 12

Activity: Catching Criminals

Sleep Time: Minimal

Police Work: 4 hours 5 minutes

Since the beginning of this semester, Videl had hardly even been in the classroom. Her longest appearance to date had been last Tuesday when she had actually managed to stay until second period. However, despite her frequent absences, she still maintained a solid 3.86. Needless to say, quite a few of her classmates had been jealous.

All that time outside, in the warm sunshine, and she still didn't have to do homework. Apparently being the daughter of the world's biggest imposter did have its useful perks after all.

And with that, Gohan found that he had come to the end of the list.

Himself.

Case Study: 004

Activity: Daydreaming

Sleep Time: None

Day Dreaming: 5 hours 15 minutes

So far this semester he had managed to stay awake, by some miracle that Dende wouldn't take credit for. He couldn't even begin to say how hard it was to keep his eyes open day after day. But, of course, it was worth it because he had a motive that was even more important than Sharpener's effort. Gohan had been told quite clearly that if his grades so much as slipped he would be facing a demon worse than the monsters that inhabited the deepest darkest pits of Hell.

His mother, Chichi Son.

He loved his mother, he really did, but he was far too scared of her to ever attempt anything that would anger her. Unlike his father, who seemed to set her off when he walked into the room. He definitely was the Earth's greatest hero. Gohan couldn't count the number of times his mother had gotten mad at his father, but he was sure it was a world record. And, of course, Gohan didn't want to add himself to his mother's death list, so he paid attention.

Sort of.

Today was one of those days, and he had tried. Honestly, he had, but he could only take so much before his attention wandered.

At least he wasn't asleep.

Gohan looked out the window, thinking of what he would do right now if he wasn't stuck in this germ-infested, prejudice-ridden, prison they called a school. His dark hair waved slightly in the breeze caused from the vents above, as he leaned against the back of his chair and dreamed of the various things that would usually happen if he weren't in school.

Normally he would be flying, preparing for a spar, sparring, recovering from a spar, racing to the kitchen, or gulping down gigantic amounts of food. But that was on a normal, carefree day, and today was definitely NOT one of those days. His eyes became slightly unfocused as he fell into several childhood memories that consisted of food, fun, and fighting.

"Gohan. Hello?" The voice seemed to come from far away. It sounded like a person yelling from the bottom of a well. "Gohan?" He stirred slightly, and mentally pushed the voice away, lost in his own thoughts and memories. It had been so long. So long since…

"Gohan!!" The voice came as a shriek this time, and even though he resisted he was brought back to reality by a sharp slap that made his head turn to the side. Owww…Talk about a short temper.

He blinked a few times, surprised that he was actually getting himself ready to face the banshee, or harpy as Vegeta called her, and slowly turned to the one person he knew could defeat Frieza with just a single look. Videl. With dark, black hair in pigtails, light blue eyes, and a personality that screamed tomboy, she had the look of a nice, sweet person. Someone that you would play kickball with. Not someone that could rip you apart with her bare hands and smile while you scream in pain. But, sadly, she had a history of making men run away screaming in fear. Firemen, police officers, lifeguards, and even martial artists have made a run for the nearest exist once she comes into the room. He wished he had stayed at home today.

Wait….

What was she doing here anyway? Wasn't she supposed to be chasing some criminal or another?

He briefly looked at the doorway, and wondered if it was possible if he had missed her entrance because he had been so zoned out.

He glanced her way, and immediately shuddered. She was glaring as if he had pulled a prank on her. Scary. Maybe he had better reply. She was scarier than his mom sometimes, and that fact often made him break out in a cold sweat.

"Yes, Videl?" he yawned, trying his best to appear innocent and naive. Which he wasn't. Her eyes narrowed as she planted tiny hands on an even tinier waist. "What in the world is the matter with you? I've been trying to get your attention for at least five minutes!" Her voice seemed to encompass him, preventing him from thinking, much less speaking, anything in his defense.

When his answer didn't come immediately, her aura blazed with anger, and she proceeded to tear into him with a voice that was almost on the same level as his mother's voice. He shuddered. He did not like thinking about that. Since he had come to know Videl, she had gotten to know his mother and Bulma almost better than she knew him. It was…scary. His worst nightmare actually. Once Videl had been introduced to the other women, they had seemed to form some sort of group. Some sort of secret society. He had actually believed for a short time that his fears were unfounded, and that nothing of the sort had happened at all.

But then…

She had brought IT to school. The frying pan. The exact copy of his mother's and Bulma's pan, that seemed to appear out of nowhere, and was capable of laying out the nearest Saiyan as if the victim was a fly. He gulped in remembrance of that horrible day. Things had never been the same. Now, whenever she yelled at him, he was forced to stand silently and bear it, or be forced to bear her horrible punishment.

Which was what he was doing now.

He had found from experience that just standing there and taking it was much safer than anything else. Sooner or later, she would get tired of yelling at him, and once that happened she would glare at him for the next half hour.

Once, way back in the past (about a month or so ago), he had tried to argue. Tried being the operative word. The short argument had ended the moment she had taken out the pan and smacked him with it.

He still had nightmares.

So, he kept quiet. He tried to find his happy place while she screamed and yelled, and everyone else in the area just stared. Yeah, it was much better that way.

Gohan mentally sighed as she continued. He knew better than to actually let her know that he wasn't really listening. He wasn't that stupid. Doing that would be like biting the hand that fed him. Stupid.

Speaking of food…

He hadn't eaten since lunch, and he was really starting to get hungry. Lunch hadn't really been that good since his last date with Videl. They'd gone to some restaurant where they'd been placed at a table near the kitchen. Needless to say, Videl hadn't been pleased. And ever since then his mother had given him the minimal amount of food for lunch.

He could swear that they were working together. It was just too much of a coincidence.

His stomach rumbled. Loudly. Loud enough to wake Shenron. He grinned. Dad would have been proud of that one.

"Son Gohan!! Are you listening to me!?"

He groaned. He'd forgotten that she was still yelling at him. Now he was in for it.

"I can't believe you would zone out like that, and not listen to me!!"

His eyes widened as she got even angrier. He watched as she took a fighting stance and seemed to reach behind her. In a second his worst fears were confirmed as she brought out the evil frying pan.

He gulped. He was doomed.

As Videl approached him with an evil gleam in her eyes, he could only watch and hope that he somehow survived.

End of Chapter 1!!!

Hoped you liked it! Please review, and if anyone needs a beta just email me.