Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ Search for the Dragon Balls? Can Piccolo and Kami hold on? ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Dragonball Z does not belong to me, or Kaeli, but to...um...read one of the last chapters for his name, I always spell it wrong. I own various recordings of the episode, a few attempts at fics/poems, and some sketches by me, but nothing else.

Aura's note: Ok, I think this is a much better attempt at a chapter than my last one [Chapter 11] and is a lot longer than it too...I just kept writing, and the conversation between Kami and Piccolo wasn't something I planned...and if they seem OOC at all, this is a sorta AU fic, and keep in mind what the wish did to Piccolo ^^

Anyway, hope you enjoy, and go bother Kaeli ^^



Innocence Reborn , Chapter Thirteen:
Search for the Dragonballs? Can Piccolo and Kami hold on?



Goku appeared on New Namak straight away, feeling the effects of the instant transmission fade from his body in a sensation of a rush of cold air and a ticklish kind of feeling.

Having never seen the planet before, the Saiyan was amazed at the way it resembled the original planet down to even the last detail. Had he not the memories of fighting Freeza on a dying, crumbled planet, it would have been impossible to believe this was a different place.

Now, he mused to himself as he flew over the small islands, I just need to find Mori or one of the Namaks...he's the new leader now, so I guess he can tell me if I can use the Dragonballs... Goku doubted the elder Namak would refuse to, he had saved them, and Mori had promised to help them if ever they needed to, and it was for Piccolo and Kami, the former of who had helped them also in the fight against Freeza, and both were, if not by growing up there, people of Namak.

Still, better to expect the unexpected, than to believe something will always happen as you hope it will.

True, he had always kept a ridiculously high level of optimism in battle, which everybody commented on from time to time, as if unable to believe that Goku never, ever believed he could lose. But as naive as he was sometimes, Goku was well aware that losing wasn't something that couldn't happen, it was just that he had been taught by his grandfather, Gohan, as well as Master Roshi, that if you keep good spirits when things are down, you are more likely to succeed than fail. Pessimism in the heat of battle only unnerved the spirit, weakened the power, and set you up for trouble.

And besides, if he was confident, everyone around him would be too. People looked up to him, well, except Vegeta, but he didn't really count, the Prince of all Saiyans, which was himself, Goku and Gohan, though the latter was only half, but Vegeta seemed of the opinion that as long as he existed, he was the prince of something, and nobody wanted to argue with him.

Arguing with Vegeta was not a good idea, even when the prince was in a good mood...which happened...well, hardly ever. Even then if he smiled, it was always more of a smirk than a smile.

Goku pondered on this as he kept flying, there were small islands, large islands, huge expanses of water everywhere, the strange plants and foliage that had adorned the old planet.

But he still hadn't seen any Namaks.

Suddenly wanting to slap himself, Goku opened up his senses to let the flow of 'ki' through his body, and now sensed that of many of the inhabitants.

Everyone possessed 'ki', warriors had the most, through training, battling and struggle, but that didn't mean others had little at all, one ki in particular he sensed had to be Dende. Though not a warrior in any sense, the child had a lot of ki from his abilities as a healer, he could fight if he wanted, and would certainly know some defense moves, having been good friends with Nail, but had little desire to.

Concentrating harder, Goku sought out the 'ki' belonging to the leader and elder, Mori, and found it to be roughly a hundred miles to the east. What would be hours in an air car, became minutes for Goku, and would have been even shorter with the instant transmission, but he didn't feel a few minutes would hurt, and the planet was indeed, so beautiful and full of life.

- - - - -

"What was that!" Piccolo uttered, seconds after Goku vanished from sight.

"Instant transmission" Gohan shrugged nonchalantly, since there were more urgent things to worry about. His reaction only seemed to irritate the Namak more however.

"Ok, but what does it do!" Piccolo shouted again, causing Kami to wince and both Popo and Gohan shooting him a look.

"It means dad can teleport from one place to another, and he's gone to New Namak using it, cause it would have taken ages in a spaceship"

"That's a comforting thought" Piccolo muttered dryly.

"Popo..."

"Yes Kami?" the genie turned to his friend, who was trying to prop himself up on the pillows with only marginal success, still out of breath and face looking slightly haggard, even with the wish making his appearance younger.

"Would you get some water..." the Namak asked, sounding slightly ashamed, which was no surprise to Mr Popo. Even though he was, and had been for a long time, the assistant to the guardians of the Earth, Kami had never treated him as such, which could not be said the same for the master before him, he had his own way of getting along with Popo, but the friendship between himself and Kami was incredibly strong.

And that was how Kami always treated the genie.

"Of course Kami" Popo smiled "You look as though you will need it, ice cold?"

"Please"

Popo nodded, and turned to leave when Kami called to him again.

"Take Gohan with you please, I wish to speak to Piccolo alone"

"Come on then" Popo said to Gohan, "I believe I have some cookies baked earlier that shall go to waste unless somebody eats them"

Gohan grinned madly, turned to Piccolo and have the young Namak a reassuring smile, and left the room.

- - - - -

Life without Guru had been hard in the months following his death, and even now there would be times when just looking at one of the other residents would bring back memories. But on the whole, life on New Namak had begun to blossom as well as it had been on the old planet.

There were new additions to their family, Mori himself now having a son, and he had settled into the role of elder as though it had always been something he was destined to do.

The first thing they had done on coming here, was to wait.

The planet they had come to was not uninhabitable, but when the wish had been made, it had not been to take them to a world that was exactly identical to their destroyed home in every single way, but just to one that was uninhabited in every single way, save for non-sentient animal life, and trees and various foliage.

These first few days were hard, but proved profitable, making homes for themselves and taking time just to relax and enjoy the peace that had been absent for so long. Even those who had heard from Guru, the devastation that had wrecked the planet so many years ago, before any of them had been born, could not even compare it to the peace this planet held.

So when the hundred and thirty days had passed, and they could call the dragon again, the wish they had originally planned was changed.

Instead of making the planet exactly like Namak, Dende, for it was he who made the wish...since the first time, back on their original home, had given the wish to be to integrate the likeness and plants of Namak, with this new planet, which possessed many things not found on Namak, but were too amazing and breathtaking to rid themselves of.

Like this waterfall.

Instead of the slight greenish tinge the original Namak had possessed in all its water, this was a clear, almost crystal colour, and burst over the edge and onto the rocks below, causing a spray of bubbling water at the bottom, which then made the way down a river...

"Heya!"

"Hmm?" Mori turned his head upwards, sitting on the grass just to the left of the waterfall, to see Goku drop down from the sky and give his trademark grin.

"Hey Mori, been a while, hasn't it"

Mori broke into a smile and grasped the Saiyan's hand tightly "It has been far too long Goku, many years here, though you seem not a day older than when we last saw you, but we all know why that is, hmm?"

Goku grinned "Yup, not as long for us though...dunno how long, never been good with dates"

He turned around and looked at the surroundings.

"This place is amazing, and it looks so much like Namak did, before..."

"We do not blame you for what happened" Mori assured him, noticing the slight discomfort on the other's face, "It was Freeza, and he was defeated by you, and we are, and always will be grateful for that"

Goku nodded.

"But I guess that you are not here for a social visit..." Mori nodded "What is the matter?"

"We need to use your Dragonballs" Goku explained "My son made a wish some months ago to turn Piccolo...that's the guy who fused with Nail..."

Mori nodded, listening as Goku explained the rest of the problem, what had happened to Piccolo, then finding out the wish had affected Kami, and then that it had been in more ways than one.

"...and we could wait for our Dragonballs to regenerate, but by then it could be too late...so we really really need to use the Namakian balls...if that's ok..."

"Of course" Mori nodded "It is without question, even if you had not saved us, your good heart, kind actions, and desire to use them for nothing but to help another living being, also of good heart, makes me happy to let you use them..."

Goku suddenly looked very relieved, "So where are they?"

Mori paused, "At the moment, they are scattered throughout this planet, and they were, unfortunately, used only a few days prior to your arrival"

"What!" Goku cried.

Mori nodded "There was a fierce storm which was very unexpected, and was in the nature of this planet, so we used the Dragonballs to wish for a sign some time before it would hit, for the Dragon could not alter the weather of the planet, but gave us some warning, and also to wish back two of my people who were unfortunately killed by a falling tree when it hit"

"Ok...so they can't be used for a while?"

"They will be functional in another hundred and twenty days" Mori assured him "And if Kami is anything at all like Piccolo, they can both hang on, I am sure of it"

Goku almost snorted "Both of em would hate to hear they were anything at all like each other, but I agree, they are a lot alike, more than they want to admit"

- - - - -

"Piccolo"

The younger Namakian turned as Kami addressed him.

Already feeling terrible because of his part in this whole thing, as well as the whole deal of him not being innocent, and together with the nightmares, Piccolo was not at all feeling to want to talk to anybody, least of all Kami, the person he was slowly causing to die...

"Piccolo, please, talk to me"

Silence, then an answer.

"Why?"

It was quiet, small, and whispered, but it was an answer at least.

"Turn to me, it is not good to keep yourself distanced"

"And you'd know" Piccolo simply said, but did turn around, with an expression on his features which Kami remembered from so many years ago...

Piccolo had been very young, not even a year after he had hatched from the egg spat out by Piccolo Damioh on the day he had been defeated by Goku, and Piccolo had been born.

Kami, though always keeping himself far enough away, had frequently left the tower to follow Piccolo, and on one occasion, when the younger had been trying to get a drink of water from a rapidly flowing stream, and fallen in, Kami had dived forward and plucked the child from the water, and set him down on the grass, allowing Piccolo only a split second of a glance before Kami disappeared.

Then the guardian of earth had watched as Piccolo looked at his hands, then hesitantly over the edge of the water, to see it flowing beneath.

One hand dipped slightly into it, shaking, but able to get some water, which he drank quickly and eagerly, before retreating quickly back to the tree.

Safety.

And Kami had watched, as Piccolo turned in his direction, then back to the water, and seen that expression on his face.

Fear.

Not of himself, or somebody else.

Fear of a thing he could not control.

And he was seeing it again.

"Why is this happening!" Piccolo cried, so suddenly that it surprised Kami, who held out a hand to the child.

Piccolo looked anguished, confused, for a few seconds, before making his way to Kami, and burying his head in the much larger arm, grasping with his small hands the long white robe, scrunching it in small hands and crying slightly.

"Why does this have to happen...I didn't want it to happen, it's not my fault, I don't wanna hurt you, or Gohan, or Goku or Chi-Chi or anyone..." Piccolo babbled hurriedly, eyes filling with tears "But those nightmares have people in being scared, and they get hurt, and I'm there, and there's blood..."

"That was not you" Kami assured him "Those are the memories of your sire, my other half, which contained all the evil, which is why he did those things"

"But...but I know I've done bad things...I remember stuff, it's not clear, but I remember it, and I know it's me!"

"Yes...but unlike your sire, you did come to regret the things you have done, and vow not to do so again"

Piccolo hiccupped "I...I did?"

Kami nodded "Yes, and I believe I made a mistake when I said you were not innocent"

"So, you mean I am?" Piccolo asked with hope evident in his voice.

Kami shook his head, wincing slightly "No, there is not a creature on Earth, or indeed probably any planet that exists, that is completely innocence...save Goku perhaps, but I fail to believe that he is completely normal either" Kami chuckled "But your life has made you less innocent than most, but there is some innocence left within you, brought forward by people like Gohan and Goku, and nurtured by experiences you have had"

"But" Kami continued "As I said, innocence cannot be reclaimed once it has been lost, and you will always carry around that part of you, once you have remembered it, but that makes you the person that you are, as it does with every living creature"

Piccolo nodded, and yawned slightly.

"So...once I remember, I'll understand all of this?"

Kami nodded "Indeed"

Piccolo did the same, and seemed to relax almost immediately, until his head rested on the bed, and his eyes closed.

Gohan and Mr Popo came back just seconds later, the latter holding a jug of water, the latter with cookie crumbs around his mouth. Both caught sight of Piccolo sleeping, supported by Kami.

"Is he ok?" Gohan asked.

"Yes" Kami answered "He just needed to understand that this is not his fault"

"It's mine, isn't it..." Gohan trailed off, but Kami shook his head again.

"No, it was not your fault either Gohan, though you did make the wish, it was born of a pure heart, it was the repercussions of the wish, which nobody was aware of, and could not have been predicted, that were the cause, and as long as we are able to set things right, all will be as it should"

"Phew" Gohan sighed "I'm glad you don't think I meant it to happen"

"You forget child, I'm the guardian of Earth" Kami chuckled "I can see everything, so I know you blamed yourself, long before you even admitted"

"So you were spying?" Gohan shot back, though his grin said it was not anger, but mirth.

"In a way"

"Can't argue with that" the Demi-Sayian snickered.

- - - - -

It was another ten minutes or so until the telltale swishing sound came that indicated Goku had returned. By this time, Piccolo was still sleeping soundly, but woke up when Goku came into the room.

"Boy, I'm starved...wonder if Chi-Chi's making dinner yet..." Goku mused.

"Dad..."

"Maybe some noodle soup, or rice with little chunks of chicken, or chocolate cake, or..."

"Dad!"

Goku turned, giving a sheepish smile and putting one hand behind his head.

"Eh-heh...sorry guys"

"Sometimes I think your stomach does more thinking than your brain, Son Goku" Kami chuckled, causing the entire group to smile, since it was pretty much true, but it was just a good thing that Goku didn't stop in the middle of battle to get something to eat, or they could be in real trouble.

"So did you find the dragonballs, dad?"

"Well..." Goku trailed off, rubbing the back of his head again "Not exactly..."

Both Gohan and Mr Popo looked nervous, Kami's expression didn't, but was worried...and Piccolo...the small Namakian was visibly the worst of them all.

He's going to die...I'm going to die, and it's all my fault...why did this have to happen, I didn't ask for it...I didn't, I didn't...I didn't make this stupid wish, and now loads of people are going to hate me...but I won't be around afterwards...but they'll still hate me until Kami and me die...

"It's ok guys!" Goku shouted, trying to bring their spirits up.

"Sure it is..." Piccolo muttered "I'm going to die, and Kami's gonna die, and everything's ok..."

The sarcasm was unmistakable.

"No, it is, really..." Goku said "I found Mori, and they used the dragonballs a little bit before I got there, but we can use em in a little under a Namak year, so we just have to go there, find em, and wait till the time's up, and we can make the wish"

"So...it will be ok?" Piccolo ventured nervously.

"Sure" the Saiyan grinned.

"Kami?" Mr Popo turned to the guardian, who seemed lightened by the news, but was not still without the traces of weakness from before, "Do you think it is possible for you and Piccolo to hold on until then?"

"I hope so Popo, I cannot say for certain, but if there is even the smallest chance, I will do my best to take it"