Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ Kami disobeys, what will happen next!? ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Innocence Reborn



Disclaimer: We don't own DBZ, so don't try to sue us, you won't get a bean. I for one am a university student, so your chances from me would be even less than one bean...maybe half a bean if I could spare it [unless they're baked beans, then you can have the lot]...um, where was I?



Aura's note: I apologize for the looo-ooo-ooong wait for this chapter, and for the shortness, but I've had writers block and other things that distracted me, but I've had a flare of interest in the series again, so this chapter was fun to write [and the bit in italics below is there because I just had to fit them in somehow ^^



Enjoy, then go bug Kaeli for the next chapter.





Chapter fifteen - 'Kami disobeys, what will happen next!?"









All that Kami could say at that moment, was that he was infinitely glad [and indebted] that despite all thought to the latter, Mr Popo [usually just Popo] did actually need to sleep at times.



Not every single day mind, as a normal human being would need [save for those such as Krillian and the other human fighters, who had developed a need to stay awake longer, for obvious reasons], and Kami himself did not need to sleep at that frequency, but both he and Popo could function perfectly well for a week or two before any obvious signs of discomfort showed.



The only 'person' Kami felt, never needed sleep, would be Kaioshin, the enigmatic and mysterious 'supreme Kai' of the entire universe, and the people who suspected he was real were even smaller than those who knew that Kami himself was real.



Still, Kami thought with a wry smile, glancing around the corner as he continued to walk, abet at a slower pace than usual, Thank Kaoishin that Popo decided tonight he needed to sleep, otherwise I wouldn't have made it this far...



"Thank you, always nice to be appreciated"



Kami blinked, and threw it off as a figment of his imagination.



- - - - -



"I think you scared him Master"



"Hush Kibito, we are not meant to appear for another...nine years" the small deity tutted, watching the Kami of Earth blink and walk off.



"Nine and a half, Master" Kibito commented after a moment, a small smile tugging at his lips.



"Shut up" Shin grumbled.



- - - - -



A few moments later, and Kami had successfully made it out of his room and through the corridors, always keeping an ear out for the light footsteps of Popo, but thankfully, none came. Call it a feeling of duty as the guardian of Earth, or a need to keep an eye on Piccolo, but he wanted to be out at the edge of the lookout, watching the Earth, not cooped up in bed.



Those who knew Kami well also knew he was incredibly stubborn, only rivaled perhaps by Vegeta.



He would admit however, to being glad to sit when reaching his destination, and instead of standing with his staff and watching, Kami instead sat down, letting his legs swing lightly over the edge, and lay the staff beside him.



How Kami could watch the Earth was a mystery, and one he didn't fully understand himself, but he could do it, and that was what mattered at that moment. Breathing deep, he roamed his eyes across the planet, searching for the Son household, deep in the Pazu mountain range.



There.



The small bedroom where Gohan slept was found soon after, and Kami could see the small half-Sayian tug at the blankets, push his face deeper into the pillow, and murmur incoherently in his sleep.

But the other bed was empty.



Kami frowned, irritation prickling at his senses, where was the child?



Instead of looking around the area, Kami focused on the 'ki' of his counterpart, finding him about fifty miles away from the house. Not a large distance, considering his abilities, but enough to make the guardian worried. Then he 'felt' Vegeta's ki nearby, and a surprised emotion from Piccolo, mixed with fear and shock as the Sayian came up behind him.



Then Vegeta was gone.



Piccolo had no idea what had just happened, and Kami, though with more information, was just as clueless to 'why'. He continued to watch the Namak, who continued to walk around for a while, jumping up to a tree and picking an apple, evidently his older self's distain of food had been changed by the cooking from Chi-Chi, and munched on it while he walked.



He is unsure, Kami reflected, He still believes he is to blame, at least in part...oh Piccolo, I hope you will realize this is not your fault, that nobody is at fault at all...



Kami paused, thinking about something, and then called out softly with his mind, Piccolo?



- - - - -



Recovered from his shock, Piccolo was trying to get the uneasy feeling from inside to go away, and not having much success, when a voice echoed inside his head.



Even before he could ask who it was, he could tell it was Kami, and responded with the name.



Yes, it is me, Piccolo; Kami's voice seemed to smile, though he couldn't see anything at all.



Why are you talking to me...? Piccolo frowned; shouldn't you be resting or something?



Do not worry about me, child, I can sense you are troubled, why?



"I wish this wasn't happening...I mean, I'm glad cause Gohan and Chi-Chi and Goku are all nice to me, and the birthday thing was good too...but the memories, they're all full of blood and hurting people, and I know I did it...I don't know why, but I did, and all the good stuff just doesn't seem as good anymore...it might be good if I didn't exist or something, but then you wouldn't too, and..."



Calm down, Piccolo, Kami interrupted, realizing what was happening, You feel as if because of what happened in the past, you do not deserve a future? But by that path, it might hurt others, am I right?



Piccolo nodded, catching himself, unaware that Kami could see him "I was bad, so how can I have good things happen..." he stopped, clenching his fists "I...I don't deserve em, I killed people"



The sins of the past cannot be erased, but you do deserve a future Piccolo, and if it were not for you, the Earth would not have a future. Your older self in the past has aided in battles to save the Earth many times, Kami paused to take a breath, feeling the exhaustion keenly, but continued, The important thing is, that you realized what you did was wrong, and helped to make things right, you changed Piccolo, and that is the most important thing of all



"Really?" Piccolo asked, and indeed, he felt better now.



"Indeed" Kami smiled again, Now, you should get back to the Son's home and sleep, there are still many days before we can gather the Dragonballs on Namak, and I intend for you to enjoy this childhood for as long as you possibly can.



"Okay" Piccolo nodded, and rose into the air, heading for the mountains.



- - - - -



Kami felt the 'ki' of Piccolo start to move, and broke the telepathic conversation between them, leaning forward and breathing heavily. Perhaps it had been a stupid thing to do, but Piccolo had needed the assurance much more than his own health had been important.



Now he would do as Popo had asked in the first place.



If he hadn't been sitting down, Kami would surely have fallen with the pain that came a few seconds later, engulfing his body in fire, as if he was submerged in boiling water...it hurt so much! Gritting his teeth together and managing not to cry out, the wave of pain took what seemed like hours, but was probably just a few seconds more to go, and he sat back, gasping.



Staying like that for a few more minutes, then standing unsteadily, the guardian gritted his teeth and grasped the staff with both hands.



But Kami only made it as far as the doors to inside the lookout, before he couldn't ignore the weariness any longer, and slid to the floor, his back resting against the wall.



The staff fell from his hands and clattered to the marble floor.



What will happen when Piccolo is wished back... Kami wondered, half slipping in and out of consciousness, Will he try to forget everything that has happened, or cherish it...



But, try as he might, that was one question that even the guardian of the Earth could not answer.



Popo is going to kill me for this... Kami mused groggily, The wish won't even get a chance...

Then he fell silent.