Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ Fun's Over, Piccolo ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer : We don't own Dragonball Z, if we did, I would have the entire series on tape, and we'd see more about Piccolo's friendship with Gohan than battles. [Aura is mad because she missed the episode where Piccolo is shown to be alive after battling Cell and being tossed into the water] Plus I would have a Piccolo plushie ^^

Authors note : Aura here, if you've been reading since the beginning, this chapter is for you, if not, go back and read! Heh ^^ Anyway, we're getting the ball rolling now.



Chapter five - 'Fun's over Piccolo'




As Gohan fell asleep, Piccolo kept thinking about what he had been told. After they had returned to Gohan's house, and subsequently sent to study, something new that Piccolo found was NOT enjoyable. Gohan had begun telling him about what had happened.

So he had been older than this, and friends with Gohan, which would explain why he felt at ease with the young Sayain, when he had memories of most other humans thinking he was some sort of demon. Apparently his childhood had been short and unhappy, so in short, he had been wished back to a child so he could have a better one.

Somewhere deep down, he sensed some things were being hidden, but for now he didn't really care.

But being told of the Dragonballs was extremly interesting, objects that could grant wishes...Piccolo hoped he would be able to see it happen one day, his young mind completly entralled at the idea.

Leaning back, placing his arms behind his back, Piccolo relaxed, getting his breath back. A yawn escaped his mouth, sunlight glinting off his fangs. He lay like this for some minutes, enjoying the peaceful tranquility. He would also have fallen asleep, but he remembered why they had come out here, to escape Chi-Chi, and sleeping didn't seem like much fun.

Deciding that since Gohan had not told him he should stay here, he decided to wander around. Though the day was now getting colder as night fell, he needed to quench his thirst and began looking for a stream or river. He walked further and further away from Gohan, who still slept.

His large pointed ears soon picked up the sound of rushing water and his slow walking turned into sprinting as he ran for the source of the noise. He soon came to the river and grinned as he ran towards it, his hands reached into the cool water, and he drank until his thirst was gone. Sighing happily, Piccolo sat for a few more moments, until he felt a raindrop land on his head, then it was followed by another and another, until the sky was filled with dark clouds and pouring rain.

Making a face at the unexpected rainstorm, the small Namak stood up. Unfortunatly at the exact same time, a loud clap of thunder filled the air. This shocked Piccolo, he fell backwards, tripping over a small rock.

Straight into the river.

His first thought was that he knew he was unable to swim.

His second thought was of the extreme cold.

His third thought was that the river, due to the rain, was now flowing extremely fast.

The next thought expressed itself vocally as Piccolo screamed at the top of his lungs, first for Gohan, then Goku, then for anyone. For although the normal reaction Piccolo would have to this situation in his older body would be to levitate out of the water (though he would not have fallen in the first place) the younger Namak did not have the experience or skills to get out. He was scared stiff, struggling in the flowing river as he was sent downstream.

- - - - -

"I never knew Piccolo could eat..." Chi-Chi mused as she made her way to Gohan's room with the tray of milk and cookies, they had been studying for hours now, with no noise coming from the room. Chi-Chi felt a swell of pride at her son, though quiet uncertaintly with Piccolo. As much as she didn't get along with him, she admired the determination he could show, something which she hoped he would give to his studies.

Apparently though, he could eat, as Kami had explained to Goku. It was something that he did not need to do often, though it was important every once in a while to give him essential vitamins and minerals that water alone could not supply. Since most of his time was spent training, Piccolo considered it a distraction, had learned to live without it.

Not while he lives with us he won't Chi-Chi thought No-one has ever turned down MY cooking, Piccolo will be no different.

Chi-Chi stood outside Gohan's door, her hand moved to knock on the door softly, no-one answered, so she assumed them to be engrossed in their studies. Smiling, she turned the round handle and gently pushed the door open.

"I thought you'd want something to eat, so I brought some..."

Her voice trailed off as she took in the empty room and the open window, curtains fluttered madly with the strong wind. Fuming, Chi-Chi slammed the tray on a nearby table, causing one glass to tip straight over, milk spreading onto the wooden surface, dripping over the side onto the floor. Uncaring of this, Chi-Chi stormed downstaris, where Goku was dipping his finger into a pot on the stove, delight etched across his face at the obvious taste.

"GOKU!"

"Yeagh!" Goku jumped, turning to his wife, one arm reaching behind his head, trying to look innocent, obviously Chi-Chi's anger was directed at his unsuccessful attempt to satisfy his ever present hunger "Heh...Hi Chi-Chi"

Chi-Chi frowned, hands on her hips "They're gone!" she fumed, narrowing eyes focusing on her husband as he began to realise that for once, he was not the cause of her displeasure.

"Gone?"

Sighing in exasperation, she pointed in the direction of Gohan's room "Yes Goku...Gohan and Piccolo are gone..."

"Where'd they go?"

Burying her head in her hands, Chi-Chi tried to surpress the feeling of wanting to shout out loud, or hit Goku with her frying pan...whichever she did, both would bring her some relief from his stupidity. However, it would not solve the current situation, especially if she knocked him unconscious. Which in Chi-Chi's case, was far easier than anyone would think.

"If I knew that Goku, would I be here..."

"Um..." Goku could offer no help, and continued standing there, ever so often his concentration drifting back to the pot on the stove, but when Chi-Chi cleared her throat, he felt uncomfortable, perhaps he was meant to do something about it.

The loud clap of thunder outside startled both, Chi-Chi's anger now mixed with worry and she turned to Goku.

"Go and find them....they shouldn't be in that horrible rain"

"Sure Chi-Chi" he smiled, finally realising what he was meant to do, waving to his wife as he walked out the house, he erected a Ki shield to shelter him from most of the rapidly falling rain, then rose into the air. Now using his powers to search for the distinctive Ki signitures.

Gohan's was the easiest to find, both because of his growing strength and power, and because of the simple fact that since he was Goku's son. However, Piccolo's was more difficult, though the namaks normal energy signiture was as easy to find as Gohan's, in this younger form it was changed, though not too different that it was impossible to find. Because of the wish, it lacked the power of Piccolo's normal form, and so Goku concentrated on that.

- - - - -

Gohan wrinkled his nose, unconsciously as it dripped on his sleeping form, when it was joined by more, the demi-sayain finally woke up, and when he rubbed his hands across his face, realised the dripping water had not been a dream, but were actually real, came to full awakening.

The first thing he did was to make his own Ki shield to shelter him from the rain, having no desire to get wet.

Then he wondered why he was here...

Then he remembered...

"Piccolo!"

Searching around, it soon became apparent that the young namakian was nowhere to be found, Gohan became slightly worried, he didn't know if Piccolo's present memories stretched to knowledge of the area they had come to, somehow, he figured not, since this was near Gohan's house, and Piccolo had only come here after he had met Gohan.

Therefore, since he had no memories of Gohan, it was unlikely he would know anything about where they were.

Groaning, he raised his hand and gave himself a slap, both physically and mentally, a feeling of complete and utter stupidity washing over him. Why had he fallen asleep, he should have realised that Piccolo would have wandered off...if he had at all...supposing something had taken him. Gohan shook that thought aside, beside the fact that there was no sign to show this [Gohan was also thankful they were far away from the dinosaur territory] and that Piccolo had instigated their escape from studying, Gohan felt that the possibility of his friend just getting bored and finding something else to do more likely.

His worry abating slightly, Gohan had almost relaxed when the scream pierced his ears.

Piccolo!

Immediatly Gohan took into the air, trying to sense Piccolo's ki, it did not seem to be too far away, but it was moving rapidly, faster than the sprinting they had undertaken earlier.

The steady dropping of energy and ki didn't help either, he was in trouble, but without finding him, Gohan had no idea what had happened.

- - - - -

His mouth filled with water as he sank under for another time, and when he surfaced, coughing and spluttering, Piccolo waved his arms and legs frantically, trying to keep himself afloat.

He sank again, becoming tired, and it was only with a great effort he managed to keep his head above the surface, it wouldn't be long until his strength gave out and he sank, not to come up again.

A tree, hanging down over the river caught his gaze, one hand managed to push his antenna from his eyes to get a better look. His hopes raised on seeing the branch hanging down, as he got closer and closer, Piccolo stretched his arm, trying frantically to grab it. He eyes grew wide as his hand connected with the uneven wooden branch.

Then his grip loosened, both due to his tiredness and the water soaking his lifeline, making it hard to hold on to.

He wimpered deep down in his throat.

- - - - -

Goku had felt Gohan's ki increase at the exact same time he heard the frantic scream and felt Piccolo's ki fall. Gohan was nearer, so he concentrated on that and soon could see his son flying a few feet away. Coming up beside him, Goku looked at him, Gohan looking back.

Gohan explained what had happened up to when he had woken up, but did not need to go any further, both knowing as much as the other.

Piccolo's energy signiture was still moving, but the flying speed of the two Sayain was no match for it and it was not long before they came to the river. Landing, both looked around, Goku, more experienced in the technique of sensing energy, was the first to spot Piccolo.

Still hanging onto the branch, eyes closed tightly, Piccolo had no idea that Goku and Gohan were there. Only when Goku pointed to his son, who let out an exclaimation of shock, did he open his eyes. He saw Gohan and felt slightly more hopeful, though his fear abated little. Gohan, and Goku, Piccolo saw he was here as well, now raced down the side of the river, towards the tree.

Seconds passed.

Gohan and Goku were two feet away when the small namak felt his grip slipping.

They were one foot away when his hand left the security of the branch.

Gohan's hand reached to his.

But it didn't grasp it.

Piccolo fell back into the water with a splash, soon resurfacing, his terror along with it. He was swept downstream again, but this time Goku was ready. He took off over the river, and plucked Piccolo from the raging depths and made his way back to the ground. Gohan felt relieved that Piccolo was safe, but he frowned on seeing him shiver violently, the cold wind beating against his soaked clothing.

"We need to get him back home dad"

Goku nodded, taking the namak in his arms. Too weak from stuggling against the flow of the river, and too cold from the rain and wind, Piccolo let himself be carried, his mind was sluggish and he felt himself drift off into an uneasy sleep on their way back.

- - - - -

Chi-Chi frowned as she saw them land, running across the grass with an umbrella, ready to give her son and Piccolo a good telling off, but stopped when she noticed how gently Goku was carrying Piccolo. He had woken up on their landing and his shivering was even more apparent, worrying Chi-Chi, and pushing all thoughts of punishment from her thoughts.

"He fell in the river Chi-Chi" Goku explained "It was really cold, he's been shivering since we got him out"

Gohan's head hung low "We just went for a break mom...I fell asleep, he was gone when I woke up"

Sighing she motioned for them to come inside. The kitchen table was laid for their dinner, but Goku didn't give it much thought, neither did Gohan. Only half-awake, Piccolo didn't notice much, except for his shivering, and that the house was much warmer than the outside.

"Gohan" Chi-Chi's voice cut into Gohan's thoughts and he turned to face her "Go to your room and get me one of your old pyjamas, it'll be a little big, but we have to get him out of those wet clothes"

Nodding, Gohan raced to his room, glad for something to do which might take his mind off his guilt. Chi-Chi meanwhile searched around the cupboards, murmering to herself until she pulled out an object. Recoiling slightly, hoping it wasn't her frying pan (though that seemed to appear from anywhere, and not usually a cupboard) Goku watched as she turned on the tap, steam soon rising.

Unscrewing the top off the hot water bottle, Chi-Chi placed it down on the worktop, her hand reaching for a jug which she filled with warm, almost hot water. Then she turned the tap off, then poured the water inside the rubber object, then smiled fondly as the screwed the top back on and covered it with a warm lining.

Gohan had returned by this time and Chi-Chi told him to go and make a bed up. She had ordered, paid for and had delivered a new bed for Gohan's room in the time they had gone to see Kami. How it had all been undertaken in this time was a mystery, considering how far they lived from a town or city, but it was certainly possible for Chi-Chi. If Piccolo was going to be staying with them, she felt he needed a bed.

Namak's not sleeping, she frowned, knowing fully well they did [this had also come from Goku's conversation with Kami, but this one was before the wish] but she knew that Piccolo did not sleep often was because of his stubborn nature, as well as that he felt it a distraction from training. He slept only when neccessary, leaving most of his rest for meditation, when he was always alert.

And since Piccolo did not know how to fly now, Chi-Chi surmised he did not know how to meditate.

Her arguement was logical to her, if not anyone else.

As Gohan rushed off again to make up the new bed, Chi-Chi removed the soaked clothing, replacing it with the pyjamas. Despite the situation she found herself smiling.

Who would have thought he would look adorable in foot pyjamas.

However, he was still shivering, though not as much as before, or as harsh. Still, Chi-Chi picked him up, amazed at how light he was, and motioning to Goku to bring the hot water bottle, followed Gohan to his room. The bed was ready and soon Piccolo was resting under covers, the hot water bottle now tucked next to him. All left the room.

- - - - -

Gohan and Goku ate their dinner in silence [though Goku's eating habits could hardly be called silent] Gohan, whilst still eating in the usual speed of a sayain, was obviously still feeling guilty. Chi-Chi noticed this.

"Gohan"

"Yes mom?"

"I know you feel guilty, but it isn't your fault, Piccolo's obviously as stubborn at this age as he is when he's normal..." Chi-Chi smiled at her son, he managed a small smile in return.

"Yeah, I guess so mom"

"What matters is that you realised something was wrong and you helped, and I'm proud of you for that"

Gohan perked up "So I'm not being punished"

Chi-Chi smirked, an evil glint in her eyes "Nice try mister, but no chance" She told him, spooning some noodles into a bowl "As soon as you finish here, you go get your books and come study where I can see you"

Sighing, Gohan returned to his dinner, he felt better now, even slightly amused. Relieved that his mother wasn't that mad at the both of them [though he knew studying would be strictly enforced for a while now], when he finished, passing the plates to Chi-Chi and thanking her for the meal, he slipped out of his chair and out of the kitchen.

"Try not to be too loud Gohan ok"

Nodding Gohan quietly opened the door into his room, making his way to the desk where his books still lay, a pencil across a page of math problems. He gathered these up, along with his other work and had his hand on the door when he stopped. Placing them down on the floor, he walked across to the bed and leant across. Something had unerved him, but he had no idea what it was.

Looking closely, Gohan saw beads of water on Piccolo's face.

No...Gohan frowned again, it was sweat. Realisation began to dawn on him and he gingerly placed a hand on Piccolo's forehead.

It was boiling hot.

- - - - - -

*Cackles evily* I'm torturing Piccolo again ^^ Whether or not he recovers is dependent on Kaeli, so go bug her, I have work tommorow...and the next day *groans*

Oh yeah, just before I leave, I want to point out that the idea of Piccolo eating to get minerals and stuff is taken from 'Where no winds can blow it away' an AMAZING Piccolo fanfic which I read here on ff.net, as for the sleeping bit, well...I think he'd need to sleep once in a while, but that it's really his stubborn nature that he doesn't.

Heh ^^