Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ Chapter 8: Let's get the Party Started! ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Innocence Reborn

Disclaimer: We do not own Dragon Ball Z or any of the Dragon Ball Z characters. They are owned by those who own them. We do, however, own the fic all of this is in. that is all.

Author's Note: *holds frying pan in her hands* Alright, where's Aura? Hmmm? *silence ensues* Hmpf. Well, then, I had better give Chi-Chi her frying pan back then. She might wonder where it went off to. Enjoy the chapter!

Chapter Eight: Let's get the party started!

Piccolo felt nervous and excited at the same time as he stood in the living room of the Son house, his eyes moving over the hand-made decorations that garnished the room. A pile of presents sat in the one corner, piled almost to the ceiling while a cake half of his size sat in the middle of a table on the far side of the room. Snacks were piled around the cake, looking perfect just sitting there without any other decorations to go around it. Goku had attempted to eat some of the food, but Chi-Chi had swatted him away at the first hint someone was trying to ruin her hard work.

Voices from outside the house filtered in through the open door, happy and carefree as the smell of food cooking filled his nostrils. There was a twinge of sadness that went through that went through him, yet he forced a happy expression on his face just in case someone came in. The Namek knew he should be actually feeling that happiness he put onto his face when he was having his party, however there was a guilt streak that went along with his sadness. There wasn't something right about this even though he was enjoying being a kid. There was something more then just his memory that had faded; it was more like a feeling that he didn't belong with these people. Like he had lost his place among the group. What was it, though? He couldn't figure it out and he didn't know if he wanted to.

Chi-Chi had made it a point to introduce Piccolo to the others that he didn't know. Each had come into the house at different times, all with presents that were labeled "To Piccolo". He gave all those that entered a smile, no matter how fake it was, a nod, and a 'thank you for coming', which he added only after Chi-Chi had kicked him on the leg several times. When Vegeta had entered, the Saiyan didn't even bother to say a word to the Namek as he shoot past him and the woman and straight to the food. Chi-Chi swatted him away before he could even dare to touch the things that sat on the table, Vegeta grumbling about something under his breath, probably more so about the woman then anything else.

"Hey, Piccolo!" Krillin called out to him, popping his head into the living from outside, causing him to jump out of his thoughts and into the present moment. "You coming out here? You are missing your own party here!"

"I'm coming," Piccolo mused without emotion as the other disappeared back out the door. He stood in the room for another few moments before he went out where everyone else was. There were several people that he had already meet long before the party had even started: Kami, Mr. Popo, and Krillin. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Vegeta leaning against a tree, his arms crossed over his chest as his own eyes stared coldly at him. Piccolo shuddered, deciding to ignore the Sayain for the time being as his eyes moved over the others that were there. The ones called Yamcha and Puar were talking to Chi-Chi on one side of the grill as Krillin was talking to the person that he called Bulma. Goku was laughing at something one person he was talking to had said; Tien was what his name was, he recalled. A smaller being was standing next to him, the one that Goku said was Chaotzu, as he giggled as well. Chi-Chi's father, the Ox King, was laughing heartedly with Gohan as the boy looked through a book. And, yet still, there were two people missing from the party: Master Roshi and Oolong. From what little Krillin had told him, both Oolong and Roshi were perverts with even dirtier minds to boot. Even Goku warned him about those two.

"There you are!" Chi-Chi beamed as she broke away from her conversation between Yamcha and the floating cat-like creature next to him. Everyone turned their attention to him, smiles upon their lips even if some were forced. "Are you ready to eat?"

"I suppose so," Piccolo mused, looking embarrassed that all this attention was placed upon him. Not that he didn't like it, but he was ready to get out of the spotlight no matter who shone it on him. The Son family had already given him enough attention as it was, but this was becoming annoying from people that he didn't even know. Or, has Gohan had put it mildly, people he didn't even remember.

"Okay. Let's get plates," Bulma called out, picking up several paper plates that were sitting on a picnic table.

"And leave us some food this time, Goku," Krillin joked, everyone laughing as they got their own plates. Everyone except for Piccolo and Vegeta.

****

Vegeta watched as everyone ate at a distance, his eyes moving over all those that were there, especially the small Namek. He ate a little bit, which surprised everyone since Sayians were known for eating enough food to feed a medium-sized army for a month. Of course, that was just for one Sayian, so it made people wonder how much food consumption three would bring in. There was something else that he had on his mind and that something was the Namek child.

A sneer came across his sulking face as he watched Piccolo talk to Yamcha as he ate a little bit of corn. A sense of disturbing anger swelled in him that was directed towards the little brat and for several reasons. For one, because of the stupid wish that the boy, Gohan, had made, the full-blooded Sayian had to wait for two years until he could use the Dragon Balls again. Then there was the fact that the Namek was a child again. A child that could have a second chance at life even if it was cut short. And Vegeta wanted that second chance desperately.

He snarled at the happy laugh that Piccolo let out even if it was forced, doing everything in his power to keep his anger in check. Bulma had warned him, and even threatened to take the gravity machine apart, before hand to keep his anger in check no matter who or what it was directed to. Those words really didn't mean anything to him as he continued to watch everyone, waiting for one wrong move to happen. One move that would set him off.

And that move was going to happen by the end of the party.

****

After everyone had finished eating and watching Goku eat a month's worth of food, they trekked inside with Piccolo at the front. The tiny Namek blushed when Chi-Chi and Bulma brought the cake to him without much thought, which was now flaming with the candle's lit with fire. The two women knelt down, placing the candles at the height of his face so that the light could flicker on his face. When he didn't do anything for several minutes as a confused look came over his face, Bulma giggled at this plight.

"Blow the candles out and make a wish," Bulma instructed after she stopped giggling at this. Piccolo blinked his eyes, unsure as to why someone would make a wish from candles on a cake but didn't bother to ask that question.

"Will it come true?" Piccolo asked innocently enough to make everyone, save Vegeta, aww at the cuteness of the question. It wasn't the question that he wanted to ask, but it was close enough to the point where he had to wonder what good it would do.

"It might even though these candles are no Dragon Balls. Don't tell us, though. Keep it to yourself and you'll have a better chance at it coming true," Chi-Chi added with a light smile. Piccolo nodded, his eyes tracing over the many candles that were on the beautifully decorated cake. What can I wish for? He thought, moving his gaze over all that stood behind the cake. Then his eyes moved upon the pouting Vegeta, who stood in the shadows of the room, staring at the Namek with flames in his eyes. He didn't know if it was from the candles on the cake or anger that was burning from within the Sayian, but he found he didn't care as he turned towards the cake. I'll make this wish for Vegeta. Yes. I'll wish for him to be happy.

"Wish has been made," Piccolo whispered in a soft voice a moment later before he blew out the candles in two puffs. Claps came from everyone as Chi-Chi and Bulma lifted up the cake, walking over towards the table to place it onto the top as Vegeta came out of the shadows. He stopped in front of the Namek, his coal-black eyes staring down at him more coldly then he had done before.

"Enjoying yourself, Namek?" The Sayian growled, his voice dripping with anger. Piccolo nodded as everyone started up conversation with other's as Chi-Chi and Bulma started to cut the cake, laughing about nothing in particular. "Good, because you will be enjoying it even more later. Be prepared."

"What do you mean?" Piccolo stammered, a stab of fear going through him. He took several steps back, hoping that the Sayian wouldn't advance on him. Instead, he just smirked at the Namek's fear before moving to the other side of the room without any more words being spoken. Piccolo watched him go, unaware that another set of eyes were watching him.

****

Kami watched Piccolo and Vegeta's encounter from the other side of the room, intently focusing on his primary target: Piccolo himself. The small Namek was different in many ways other then just his appearance, the wish running deeper then what Gohan might have intended in the first place. Perhaps it was to give his counterpart a new look on life, but any wish that the Dragon Balls might make would also have side effects that would not show until later. Much later, in fact. If something would make one part younger, there was no telling what kind of other effects might occur with the other half.

The Guardian sighed, shifting his weight to one side as he broke his gaze away from Piccolo, moving his eyes over the others that were there. Mr. Popo had run off to some other place, perhaps back to the Lookout in fear that some of his plants might have died while he was gone. It was a habit not yet broken and didn't look like it was going to be done any time soon. Vegeta had long since moved from the living room and into the kitchen area, perhaps to get himself into something that he shouldn't even be in. There was a silent hope that he would be caught doing whatever he was trying to do despite the fact that it wouldn't ever happen. Everyone else was now in line for cake, Chi-Chi eyeing Goku as he kept his own gaze upon the food. Everyone except for Piccolo, who hovered around the area where he had his quick conversation with the Saiyan.

Piccolo seemed to be more nervous then he had been when the first two had meet at the Lookout several weeks prior to this party. There was no mistaken that the look in his eyes had changed no matter how slight it was or how easily it could be masked. Even Kami had trouble telling apart the darting glances and small, nervous laughs from just being the normal shyness the child Namek would have. He also assumed it was because that there were a lot more people around then there were usually and many of them he hadn't 'met' prior to this day. Even if Vegeta had never come up to him, Piccolo still seemed nervous about something and that something wasn't known yet.

"Alright everyone," Bulma announced, clapping her hands together as Kami's gaze snapped in her general direction. He had been so caught up in thinking about Piccolo and the wish that had been granted that he hadn't even known that everyone, even Goku himself, had finished eating. They were now crowded around Piccolo, who was sitting in front of the mountain of presents, looking both embarrassed and fearful at the same time. "It is time to open the presents. Go ahead, Piccolo. Start unwrapping."

The small Namek nodded quickly, taking one present from behind him as he set it in front of him. He looked at it for a moment before unwrapping it, unsure of what to expect. Kami smiled, watching him happily. Maybe it is time that he actually got a chance to be a kid again, The Guardian thought to himself again, settling down into his place.

It would be the only time he, or any one else present, would feel at ease again. At least, for the next couple of days.

To Be Continued

Author's Note: Arlight, alright. There's my chapter. It's Aura's turn, so go ahead and, uh, bug her. *hides under bed*