Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdoms ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kingdoms

By Mr. Pink and Lannon the Wizard

Prologue

There was a flash of light, and they had arrived. The huddled group of darkened shadows stood silent, but then a figure at the forefront stepped outward. His sword gleamed under the green light of the slithering menace above them, casting off tiny pinpoints of reflection in every direction. The minuscule motes of light were immediately enveloped in the endless void; swallowed by the dark. This was an uncharted area of the heavens, having no height, depth, width, or volume with which to register. A chamber reserved for only the holiest of holies...

Like its holder, the sword was strong and firm, its threatening tip to be both feared and respected by mortal and immortal beings alike- cross either the weapon or the user, and repercussions were to be expected with swift execution. He drew forth the blade, and held it ready at his side, feline tail lazily sweeping the polished marble underfoot. With a throaty growl of warning and curiosity, he spoke.

"State your purpose!" The regal voice bellowed to the ferocious reptile before him. On the haunches of his voice came a slight rumbling of his vocal chords. His large paw clamped tightly on the hilt of his blade. Behind him, the others did not stir. Help would follow if help, indeed, was needed. After all, he was their protector, not the other way around.

As if in protest or ignorance, the reptile drew its body to an even more astounding height. Its endless amount of body and tail seemed to swirl in a hurricane of scales and slimy flesh. The red eyes were the only significant markings by which to find its head amidst the dark high above- if one could consider this "place" to have any measure of length. The immortal knew that the distance was just an illusion. The power, however, was not. Yet again, the monster groaned, and a dramatic increase of energy took place. The smell of raw, unbridled force permeated the stale air, shooting out with bolts of green electricity.

Now, the others stirred. The kaioshin knew just as well as he did that this was no ordinary strength of existence- rather, an unlimited flow of magic and omnipotence. And this is why the dragon had to be expelled. It growled brutally, and the green hue that shimmered around its frame increased like a violent wildfire. The swordsman held his position.

"Dragon!" he snarled again. "I command you to-"

"You command nothing," the dragon snapped back. Its booming voice threw a torrent of warm wind down on its oppressors. The swordsman clenched a clawed hand tightly around the hilt of his weapon, body bathed in the hot steam that was the reptile's breath. "Have you the authority to demand explanation of the dwellers of the sacred realm?!"

The protector felt a rumble in his throat, followed by a ripple on the fur about his neck. He drew the holy blade to a ready position before his armor, peering at the creature across its point. "I will not ask again. State your purpose, or be returned to this realm of which you speak."

"In due time, strong one." With a low hiss, the dragon reared back...

And in a flash, its eternally lengthened body launched forward, head first. The swordsman sidestepped the bared teeth, and attempted to plunge his blade against the reptile's body. As the metal connected, a spark of emerald energy erupted into vision that cast him backward violently. Using his tail to help him regain his balance before landing, the protector paused, waiting as the dragon coiled its body in a wide circle around him. It was moving in rapid upward spirals, creating a vortex of stormy winds within its enclosure. The tailed combatant cocked an eyebrow, lowering his body to a crouched stance. It was heading for something, gathering energy...

Suddenly, a tremendous burst of black electricity crackled out from high above, and a giant gash appeared in the void, almost as if it was being ripped at the seams. It grew into a large circle, and was torn open, sending howls and screams of terror emanating from this wound in the universe. The evil deity around the swordsman released a triumphant roar, lunging its entire body, head to tail, through the opening. It closed immediately, and then exploded outward again, this time accompanied by blue and red bursts of energy, continuously swirling around itself. Complete silence filled the marble floor as the feline sheathed his sword with not so much as a sigh. The air was stagnant with dread. The enemy had escaped.

He turned to face the others, approaching them purposefully. "Any ideas?"

"Prophet? Where does this portal lead?" one of the kaioshin asked. There was no mistake as to the owner of the voice. Its high-pitched predilection was a dead give away.

The tiny foreseer hobbled under the multicolored light of the shrieking opening overhead. He balanced on his staff as he gazed upward with beady gray eyes. "It seems to be out of my reach. But in the monster's past- our future, I do see."

"So it came from the future," the other answered promptly. "How did this happen?"

"A mistake, sire." The prophet closed his eyes, a signal that he was receiving more wisdom of the ages. The group waited in hushed silence. "A... on a planet called Earth..."

"How far in the future, oh Prophet?" the swordsman asked.

The prophet's eyes were still shut tightly, as he raised a hand to quiet the speech around him. "Five million years, give or take a few millennia."

"Just wonderful," one of the group spoke sarcastically. Kibit wasn't exactly regarded for his enthusiastic optimism. "I suppose that inhibits our direct, necessary presence with which to correct this matter."

"Indeed it does," the diminutive future gazer agreed. "It violates the laws of magic, anyhow. Our problem is current; thus we issue its consummation in our own time . Termination of the dragon of the future would not remove the dragon of now."

"What role does this 'Earth' play?" inquired the protector.

"The god of Earth is the only one able to redeem. The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away..."

"Your service is appreciated, Prophet," a more rotund immortal responded, brushing past the feline guardian of the kaioshin. The swordsman bowed his head in reverance as Dai Kaioshin passed. "What is the name of the god we seek?"

"His name..." the foreseer paused in thought. His eyes moved rapidly behind the eyelids, searching for an answer... With a grin, he had it. "His name is only... Kami."