Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Majin Leeli's Story ❯ Futures and Pasts ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter2 part b

Futures and Pasts

"You bastard! You fucking bastard! How could you do this to me?!"

Goten winced as Leeli squeezed on his hand harder. They'd arrived at the hospital nearly three hours ago, but the doctor informed them that, while Leeli's water had broken, she wasn't quite ready to give birth. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry!" Goten yelled, trying to pry Leeli's fingers from his hand. He was pretty sure some of the bones were broken by now.

"I'm a halfbreed! Why the hell ain't I sterile?!" Leeli yelled, clutching Goten's hand tighter the more he tried to loosen her grip.

Leaning against the doorframe Trunks was talking to the doctor. Both men seemed mildly confused and whenever the doctor asked a question Trunks shrugged and motioned that Goten was actually the husband. Apparently fed up the doctor walked out of the room again.

"I got it!" Leeli yelled as if a light bulb just went off in her head. "If I'm not in a delivery room, I don't have to deliver!" she said as she attempted to roll off the bed.

"I don't think it works that way Leeli," Goten said, trying to calm her down as he used his free hand to roll Leeli on to her back. He was attempting to keep his voice calm and cool, but it cracked each time she squeezed on his hand. "It's okay, honey, this contraction will be over soon. It's alright."

"You're not having it!" Leeli snarled, letting go of Goten's hand and grabbing the front of his shirt. Suddenly she let go and fell back on to the bed, panting. "Okay, I don't want to have any more of those," she said, calming her breath, the contraction apparently over. Goten knelt on the floor shaking his hand to get feeling back in it.

"Actually, they're supposed to get worse and closer together," Trunks grinned from the doorway, conveniently out of Leeli's reach.

Leeli glared. "I hate you. Why are you here?"

"Trunksie comes for the delivery, but he stays for the nurses," Trunks smiled as a shapely nurse walked into the room. He raised an eyebrow suggestively, "Hello nurse." The woman glared over her shoulder as she walked over to Leeli.

"Mrs. Son," the nurse said softly in a soothing voice as she touched Leeli's shoulder and Leeli looked at her. "We did some tests and you'll be able to deliver the child, though it will probably be a difficult and, I'm sorry to say, painful experience for you. But don't worry, as soon as it's over we'll get you some nice painkillers."

"Why can't I have painkillers now?" Leeli mumbled. For a moment it dawned on her how ridiculous it was for someone who spent their life fighting and being bruised and broken to be wanting painkillers. But the thought faded quickly as Leeli remembered the contractions. At least when she was fighting it was her outside getting banged up.

"Well, the doctor thinks that might be very bad for the baby if we did," the nurse said apologetically. "Your biology is very strange. We're not exactly sure what's going on, but we're going a few more tests to figure it out.."

"Oh," Leeli nodded, closing her eyes.

"That's the spirit," the nurse said, "just rest until that next contraction."

"Want less pain," Leeli whimpered with a cringe as she heard the nurse walk out to the room and Trunks' appreciative whistle.

"It's okay sweetie," Goten said, finally rising from the floor and kissing her on the cheek. "It'll all be over soon." Leeli made a whimpering sound in response.

"Um… are the three children in the waiting room… yours?" another nurse said, as she stuck her head into the room. Her eyebrows were creased with minor concern. "Because if they are could you ask them to… calm down?"

Trunks' sighed loudly and rolled his eyes, "they're not burning things again, are they?"

The nurse's eyes widened and she nearly ran from the room. "I like this view," Trunks said, as he watched her run down the hall toward the waiting room, "but I think I'm going to make sure they aren't burning things." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of lighters as he was leaving the room. "I thought I confiscated them all."

Goten shook his head with a sigh at Leeli's side. "Go make sure they're being good," Leeli said, patting him lightly on the shoulder before her arm fell back to the bed. "Knowing Trunks he'll either get distracted by a nurse or in on all the mayhem with the kids."

"Alright," Goten said, taking Leeli's hand and squeezing it lightly. "I'll be right back though, okay?"

"Just go," Leeli mumbled with her eyes closed. She heard Goten walk away and the door to her room close. She let out a deep sigh. She'd known the delivery was going to be difficult; it has been anyone's guess as to whether or not she could actually carry the child to term. Saiya-jin biology wanted the baby to be born fast, but Namekian biology either wanted to destroy the child as an outside entity or keep it in longer so it could fully form. Ten months of pregnancy later the two warring factors seemed to have decided it was time to drop the kid.

Leeli sighed. There were times when she wished Gohan were around. He knew about these kinds of things or at least studied enough to make a good guess.

"Gohan," she mumbled with a twinge of pain as she remembered a day she went to go see her parents on the Lookout…

---

/"Welcome, Leeli," Mr. Popo said in a cheerful tone as the green-haired girl landed on the platform. "It is good to see you back."

"Thanks," Leeli smiled. It was strange. The Popo in the other dimension cringed upon seeing her and this one greeted her happily. The happy greeting was nice, but somewhere in the back of her mind she remembered what a kick she got out of being feared. "My parents around?" she asked, deciding that was not a good train of thought to catch.

"Indeed," Popo nodded, "I believe Miss Kana is watching television inside the temple."

"Cool," Leeli nodded as she moved toward the temple, then stopped and looked back at Popo. "Does she know I'm back?"

For a second Mr. Popo's face fell. "I'm not even sure she knew you were gone Miss Leeli," he said, averting his eyes.

Leeli smiled sadly. "That's fine. I know my Mom," she said as she turned and walked toward the temple. It wasn't hard to find her mother in the temple; she simply had to follow the sound a comedy show laughtrack giggling at unfunny jokes.

"Mom?" Leeli said, poking her head into a room that had been specially designed for her mother. There wasn't much other than a television, couch, and a refrigerator. Not that Kana needed much else.

Her mother was sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching the television. She hardly even noticed Leeli's approach. "Hey Mom!" Leeli said loudly as she sat down on the couch, making sure her weight shifted the cushions.

Kana looked to the side and blinked. "Hey, Leeli," she said, then narrowed her eyes, "you look different than I remember."

Leeli's lip twitched, but she refrained from yelling about the fact she'd been gone ten years. "No, I don't Mom," she said, hugging her mother around the shoulders.

With a slight shrug Kana went back to eating ice cream and watching television. Leeli closed her eyes and rested her head on her mother's shoulder. She had missed her mother in the other dimension.

Kana had been a low class saiya-jin warrior back on the planet Vegeta. No one of any worth or notice, but she had been an effective grunt warrior. Until the day Frieza's troops took over the spaceship she was stationed on. They killed all the saiya-jins and threw them in a few escape pods, laughing and making comments about jettisoning the garbage.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Kana was still alive. She had only been knocked unconscious in the fight. The data recorder in the pod informed her that the planet Vegeta had been destroyed and the saiya-jin race declared dead by universal standards. The news drove her mad. This growing madness, of course, was not aided by the fact she was trapped in an escape pod with the rotting bodies of her comrades.

By the time the pod landed on earth she was truly insane, even going so far as to throw a punch at her prince, Vegeta. As time went by she mellowed out. The saiya-jin's were dead and even her prince had settled into a life on earth. She was attracted to Piccolo and a bizarre relationship formed; not sexual or caring, not even competitive. They just strangely meshed, neither really seeming to care where the other was, but always knowing. Eventually Leeli and Leela were born.

Kana's insanity gave into an addiction to television, and so she sat now, watching television and eating ice cream in shorts and a sports bra. Insane, always insane.

Leeli opened her eyes. She still loved her mother, even if the woman had done nothing for her other than giving birth. "Talk to you later, Mom," she said, getting up and walking out. Kana waved, her eyes never leaving the television.

Leeli walked out onto the platform again and caught sight of her father standing close to the edge looking down. As always, he was imposing even from this distance. "Hi, Dad," she said finally as she walked closer.

His eyes shifted and looked at her, there was the slight nod of acknowledgement as he looked back down at the world below. Leeli walked up behind him and looked down. To her it was only a mess of clouds, but apparently there was more that her father could see. Or he just really liked looking at clouds.

"So, I've been… um… in another dimension for about ten years," she said, her foot kicking the ground as her hand unconsciously adjusted the bandana that covered her forehead. "Leela met a nice boy over there and…"

"You are more powerful than when you left," Piccolo interrupted her and Leeli jumped. "You must have undergone extensive training in your absence."

"Yes, training," Leeli agreed quickly. She wasn't quite sure what her father would do if he found out she was majin. He certainly was not one to throw stones, but it didn't seem the type of thing that he would be terribly accepting of either. "Lot of training in that other dimension," she nodded. It wasn't exactly untrue. She had trained, but even all the training wouldn't have heightened her power level to what it was now.

Piccolo's eyes shifted to her and away again. He knew something was strange, but he wasn't going to say anything about it. Leeli let out a deep breath and decided to change the subject.

"Heh, I'm kind of surprised. I mean, I've been back for nearly two weeks and I haven't seen Gohan, yet," Leeli laughed and as impossible as it seemed her father paled. Leeli stopped laughing and blinked. "Dad?" she asked quietly.

"Gohan's dead, Leeli," Piccolo said simply.

Leeli felt all the color drain from her face. "What?" she asked, her voice a cracked squeak; suddenly glad she had not asked Goten about his brother.

"He contracted the heart virus ChiChi died from," Piccolo said, his voice lacking inflection. "We were… unaware until the last minute."

"How?" Leeli blurted, unable to keep her curiosity quiet.

"He asked that I not tell anyone," Dende said, and Leeli turned to look at the guardian of earth. "With you gone and Trunks coming out of his depressive state, Gohan did not want to worry his little brother."

"Oh," Leeli said, looking down at the ground.

"Goten is still in denial about his brother's death," Dende continued. "I do not think he can deal with it so soon after his mother's."

"I'm damned glad I didn't ask about Gohan," Leeli said as her mind remembered Goten's kind-hearted older brother. The boy her father had liked infinitely more than both her and her sister. At a time she had hated Gohan for that, but it was impossible to hate any of the Son family once you met them. "He wasn't in too much pain when he died, was he?"

Dende looked away and Leeli physically winced. She knew what the lack of answer meant. Gohan had been in a lot of pain. "I'm sorry I was gone," she said softly.

"Nothing anyone could do," Dende replied and Leeli could hear the regret and sorrow in his voice. Gohan had been his best friend after all. The Lookout lapsed into an uncomfortable silence broken only by the sound of Kana's television.

Suddenly Piccolo turned and looked at Leeli's stomach meaningfully for a moment, then simply stated: "You're pregnant."/

---

Leeli rolled on the hospital bed. Her father had been right, of course. He always was.

The door creaked open and a nurse walked in holding a clipboard and with a Cheshire grin on her face. "Hello, Mrs. Son," she said cheerfully and Leeli had to restrain herself from taking a swing at the woman. "I understand we're havin' a baby today."

"No, I'M having a baby today," Leeli growled, wishing the chipper woman would go away. Couldn't they have sent someone less nauseatingly fake? It was like having nurse Barbie attending to her.

"That's wonderful," the woman said, her voice tailing off in a squeal.

"Whatever. Am I a mother yet?" Leeli groaned, hoping she'd had the baby when she wasn't paying attention. Though that didn't seem too likely.

"Not yet, Mrs. Son," the nurse said in a cheerful tone of voice that Leeli thought should have been against the law, "but soon enough. Just think of all the joys of motherhood you will soon be experiencin'…"

Leeli felt a twitch in her lip as she wondered if powering up would hurt the baby. Not even powering up fully, just enough to throw a ki blast. Before she even knew it the energy was gathering in her unseen right hand while the woman babbled on.

"No, Leeli!" Goten yelled as he came into the room, his eyes wide.

"Huh?" Leeli said, then cursed at Goten as she lost her concentration and the energy dissipated.

"Why Mr. Son," the nurse said, turning cheerfully. "It must be so wonderful to be embarkin' on the joys of bein' a daddy for the first time…"

"More like the fourth time," Goten said, and before the nurse could reply he pointed down the hall. "There is a man down the way and he looks so sad. Maybe you should go cheer him up?"

"Oh, gracious me," the nurse said and Leeli finally placed her accent as southern. "I can't let there be a frowny face on my level." She looked back at Leeli. "If you'll excuse me Mrs. Son. I'll send Jennifer in a few minutes to check on you," and with that she was gone.

"Have I ever told you I love you, Goten," Leeli sighed, letting her head drop into the pillow. "What took you so long?"

"Elijah gave Chris a mountain dew and a carmello bar," Goten replied, "when I left Trunks was sitting on Elijah, had Chris in a headlock, and was telling Billy a story."

A smile creased Leeli's face. If nothing else it was a funny mental image.

"You okay?" Goten asked, walking over and taking her hand again. He looked up cautiously as the door opened again, but fortunately it was Jennifer and not the other woman.

"I have good news, Mrs. Son," Jennifer said as she walked into the room looking on a chart. "It looks like," she raised an eyebrow and looked at the chart again to make sure she was reading it right. "That's odd. It appears that, even though your contractions are still pretty far apart, you're ready to have the baby."

Leeli looked up at the glaring hospital lights and thanked whatever biological mannerism it was that caused that.

"Mr. Son," Jennifer said, waving Goten away from the bed. "We're going to need to prep your wife. If you'll please stand over there for a bit while we're getting ready." Goten gave the nurse a look and she smiled. "Don't worry, sir. Your wife will be fine. Besides, once she starts the delivery you can hold her hand."

Goten nodded and leaned down to whisper in Leeli's ear. "I'm going to check on the boys and Trunks. I'll be back in a minute. Okay?"

Leeli nodded and Goten left.

"Alright Mrs. Son," Jennifer said, leaning over Leeli. "My, you're sweating a little," she said gently as she used a washcloth to wipe away some of the perspiration. "Maybe I should take of that bandana of yours…"

"No!" Leeli yelped, smacking herself in the head as she raised her hands to secure the bandana in place. "I like my bandana."

The nurse pulled her hands away as she looked down at Leeli for a moment, then smiled. "Well, if it'll make you feel more comfortable then I suppose we can leave it on."

Leeli shook her head affirmatively. It wasn't exactly a comfort thing, more a hiding thing…

---

/"You know," Goten said, leaning over the back of the couch to look at Leeli. "I didn't notice through your bangs before, but," he squinted and batted her bangs to the side, "you have what looks like and M on your forehead."

"What, someone magic marker your forehead?" Trunks smirked, licking his thumb and reaching over to wipe the M off. "Hmm, maybe it was permanent marker…" he mumbled as he rubbed harder.

"Stop that!" Leeli yelled, smacking his hand away.

"Why do you have and M on your forehead, Leeli," Goten asked from where he stood behind her.

"Well, you know how when you join a group you're all hanging out and…" she trailed off. "Okay. You know how like when a biker gang is hanging around, drinking and they all decide it's a great idea to go out and get matching tattoos? Well, it's like that… sorta… not really, but kind of… not."

Trunks blinked. "You joined a biker gang in the other dimension?"

"I said sorta like that!" Leeli yelled, glaring at Trunks who just shrugged, before she turned to look at Goten. "You believe me, right?" she asked, her voice verging on a whimper.

"Why wouldn't I?" Goten asked, as he reached down and rubbed at the M. "It's a rather bizarre statement though," he said raising an eyebrow. "No offence, but I hope the boys don't get any ideas."

"Why an M?" Trunks asked. "I mean why not get something cool tattooed across you forehead if you're going to do it?"

"Trunks, just shut up," Leeli growled, ignoring him and talking to Goten. "It doesn't bother you?"

"No," Goten shrugged, wondering why she kept asking such questions. "What group did you join when you were there? They must have been sad to lose you."

Leeli opened her mouth and shut it, collecting her thoughts before answering. "It was an all girls club," she smiled and Goten blinked, but nodded.

"Chris! Put down the plates!" Elijah screamed from the kitchen and both Goten and Trunks jumped up to deal with the apparent crisis.

With a loud sigh Leeli collapsed down on the couch. She hadn't thought of that before. What the majins would think of her disappearance. After all, she hadn't intended on disappearing. "At least I know they'll be okay," she said to herself. There really was no worry of them falling apart without her there. They might need to shift some of the combat plans around to accommodate one less person, but not much else. She frowned; hoping they wouldn't miss her much and wishing them luck in whatever they did. Maybe when the Solda'en'tar'a came again she'd jump though and check on them.

"Why is there and M on your head, Mommy?"

Leeli looked down at Billy who had walked up beside her. It was so strange to be called 'mommy', especially by a child that wasn't her own. "Because I put it there," she answered quietly. "Hey, Billy, how do you think Mommy can cover up her M?"

"Oh," Billy said, his face lighting up as he flipped though the book he was carrying. After a minute he held up a picture of a woman. "You can wear a head thing like the lady in the picture."

Leeli took the book and smiled. The woman in the picture even had green-hair, no pointed ears though, and an awful orange dress. "A bandana," she said and smiled at Billy who smiled back, "perfect."/

---

Leeli blinked at the ceiling. She was tired, exhausted, and not entirely sure what had happened or what was going on. After the doctor told her to push when the contraction came, she just blanked everything once the contraction started. There was the vague memory of grabbing hold of Goten's hand, but that was it.

She turned her head to the side. Goten was standing in the corner talking to the doctor. He was holding something small and wrapped in blankets in his arms. The doctor turned away to talk to the nurse that had walked into the room and Goten turned to see she was awake.

"Hey," he said quietly, walking over to her.

"Hey," Leeli said back, her voice weaker than she had expected it to be. She tried to raise an eyebrow, but found she was too tried to even do that. "Whatcha got there?" she finally asked.

Goten smiled and tilted the little bundle so she could see better. "Meet your daughter," Goten said softly as Leeli looked at the scrunched face little thing with black fuzz on her head and pointed ears. There was the hint of a tail inside the folds of the blanket.

"I thought all babies were ugly," Leeli said, "but she's kind of cute. In an ugly way."

Goten smiled and leaned down, pressing a kiss to Leeli's bandana. "You did good," he said as he let her hold the baby.

As he handed her the little girl Leeli noticed his hand was all bandaged up. "What happened?" she asked, finally finding the strength to raise an eyebrow.

"Heh, let's just say you held a little tighter than you were before," Goten said with a light laugh as he flexed his hand to prove there hadn't been any permanent damage.

"Sorry," Leeli smiled, then looked down at the little thing in her arm. The little girl looked up at her with big eyes, just like her father's, and reached up to grab Leeli's hair. Goten sat on the bed, putting his arm around Leeli's shoulders and the looked at the little child. It was a perfect moment.

And like any perfect moment, something had to ruin it.

There was a loud pounding on the window to the right. Both Leeli and Goten turned to the sight of Trunks knocking on the window, Chris with his face and hands pressed against it, and Elijah holding up Billy so he could see. Behind them stood a tall imposing green man that the nurses were skittering about.

"My dad came?" Leeli said in surprise as she blinked and squinted to make sure she wasn't having a psychotic delusion.

"I guess so," Goten said, also surprised, as he watched the assembled party move away from the window and seconds later come in though the door. They were followed by a group of nurses mumbling that the mother needed her rest and probably wasn't ready for company.

"I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see," Chris babbled as he ran up to the side of the bed and began jumping up and down. Apparently the soda and chocolate hadn't worn off yet.

At the end of the bed Billy crawled up on to Leeli's feet, with help from Elijah who was trying to pretend he didn't care, but kept going up on his toes to get a better look. Behind them Piccolo stood, leaning against the wall and not saying at thing. The nurses, too afraid to pass Piccolo, stayed outside the room.

"Is it a girl or a dude," Trunks asked, leaning over Goten to get a better look at the child. "Hey, it's cute!"

"It's a girl," Goten answered as Leeli showed the baby to Chris, Billy, and Elijah.

"What's her name?" Billy asked and Goten and Leeli looked at each other.

"Let's name her Kim," Trunks said, poking the baby's nose gently. "She looks like a Kim."

"I know this may be a foreign concept, but this isn't your child Trunks," Goten glared as Leeli cocked her head to the side in thought.

Trunks blinked. "You think I got to name any of my children? Besides, this is my first time being an uncle." He smiled at the baby, "it's also my first little girl. Aw, she's so cute. I'm going to be the best uncle you ever had kiddo."

"As much as I hate to say it," Leeli said, "and this may just be the painkillers talking. I like the name Kim."

"Me too," Elijah said grudgingly.

"Me too, me too, me too," Chris said from where he bounced.

"It's nice," Billy said from Leeli's feet as he crawled up to get a better look at the baby.

"I wanted to name her ChiChi," Goten almost pouted.

Leeli patted him on the shoulder reassuringly. "Why don't we make that her middle name? That way Kim gets her own name, but we name her after your mom too." In truth, while ChiChi was a nice name, Leeli wasn't all that sure that's what she wanted to name her daughter.

Goten looked to the side and sighed. "I guess Kim is a nice name," he said, then gave Trunks a sidelong glare. "Though I'm not sure I like the idea of you naming my child."

"At least I didn't suggest Chesty LaRue," Trunks shrugged, then ducked as Goten swatted at him. "I kid! I kid!"

By the doorway Piccolo shifted at the slight twitch of the newly named Kim's tail. He pushed away from the wall, walked over and held out his hands expectantly.

Leeli blinked for a moment, then cautiously handed him Kim. Piccolo promptly unwrapped the child and popped her tail off. A nurse screamed, another fainted, and the three adults in the room looked on horrified as Piccolo handed the sniffling Kim back to Leeli.

"Dad!" Leeli screamed, turning Kim around to make sure she was okay. If there had been any mark from the separation of her tail it had already healed.

"He didn't just…" Trunks trailed off in shock.

"He did," Goten nodded looking down at his daughter, who was not happy, but didn't appear to be hurt either.

"I'm glad he wasn't around when any of my kids were born," Trunks mumbled under his breath as Elijah moved to put the bed between him and the scary green man.

"It had to be done," Piccolo said simply.

"You could have warned me!" Leeli shrieked, as Kim started crying from the loud noise. Chris crawled under the hospital bed whimpering about people being mad and yelling, while Billy crawled into Elijah's arms for protection.

"I can't believe he just did that," Trunks mumbled, leaning down and pulling Chris out from under the bed as Goten tried to comfort Kim.

"You could have waited," Leeli yelled, trying to keep her voice down as her temper flared. "She was just born!"

"That's the man officers!" a nurse screamed, running into the room with two police officers in tow. "He just assaulted that poor child!"

"No," Goten yelled, jumping in front of Piccolo and waving his hands as he tried to explain, "I mean yes… but no. He's the grandfather and he was just thought if he didn't do it she'd turn into a big monkey the first time she saw the moon."

The nurse and the officers stared at him. Finally one of the officers stepped forward and pulled Goten away. "Okay, sir, I'm not sure what you've been drinking, but I think you've had enough. Now, if you'll come down to the station with us we'll see about getting you into the detox…"

"What? No, this is a mistake. I'm the father and I haven't been drinking," Goten said, unable to comprehend what was happening as the man pulled him toward the door.

Trunks gave Chris to Elijah along with some money and told him to take his brothers down to the cafeteria and eat. The three boys moved almost unnoticed out of the room, the nurses and the officers paying far more attention to the drunk and the green man.

"She can regenerate if she needs the appendage," Piccolo said, glaring down at the officer that was approaching to attempt and arrest him.

"Normal people do not grow back limbs!" the nurse yelled and the room went silent, except for the sound of Kim's crying and Trunks' laughing.

Leeli groaned as she leaned back down on the bed, holding the crying child to her chest. "No, normal people don't," she agreed, deciding to ignore the whole scene and get some much needed rest as she rolled over and fell asleep with the calming Kim in her arms as Trunks laughed, Goten was taken to the station, and the officer called for backup to deal with Piccolo.

[Sunday Bloody Sunday]