Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ One Sweet Day ❯ One Sweet Day ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

One Sweet Day

Disclaimer: I do not own Dragon Ball Z or any of the Dragon Ball Z characters. They are owned by those who own them. I do not own the song "One Sweet Day". Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men do. I do, however, own the fic all of this is in. That is all.

The fear struck everyone at those last few moments. The fate of the Earth and the universe combined took in a deep breath and kept waiting. Waiting for the horror to end. They held their breath while they waited, hoping that their hero would come to save them. And it did. The hero was a young boy that had taken enough and stood up to yet another that wanted to destroy the Earth as the few that had came before it had. And it was a victory that had not come without a price. A price that was higher then before they knew that it had happened.

Chi Chi sat on the bed that she had once shared with her husband, Goku, as tears streamed down her face. Her only child, Gohan, had fallen asleep in his place, still tired and worn from the battle that had taken only two days before. The battle that he had won freedom for the Earth but lost a father in it's place. There was nothing now, even with the world now safe once again, that would make the pain go away.

Sorry I never told you

All I wanted to say

Now it's too late to hold you

'Cause you've flown away

So far away

The woman took in a deep breath, trying to calm herself from what had happened. She was thankful that her son had destroyed a vile monster, keeping the Earth safe. But that did not stop the pain that was throbbing in her heart. Her husband was gone and there was nothing she could do about it. She didn't even get to tell him that she loved him and that she would always be there, waiting patiently until he returned. That was over now. She couldn't even tell him that.

She sighed, taking the tissue that was in her hand and wiped the remaining tears from her cheeks. Then she checked the time. 2:34 AM. Still enough time to get some sleep until she had to wake once again to a house that once held her happiness. Her world. Her family. Now it was shattered once again by something that had taken one of the most important things in her life.

Never had I imagined

Living without your smile

Feeling and knowing you hear me

It keeps me alive

Alive

She remembered how laid back Goku had been the days before he went off to fight Cell. How happy he had been just to be with his family and the friends that were around him. He had said that he and Gohan didn't need any more training. There was no need. He knew he was going to die. He didn't tell us because he thought that we would stop him. In a sense he probably saved us all as well, She thought sadly as she looked towards the window that looked outside.

"Grrr." Chi Chi hissed out as she stood up, putting her hands on her upper arms. There seemed to be a slight chill that came to her every time she stood up in this room. There was no windows open as far she knew or could remember. The only door that she knew that would bring cold air in and that one lead into the main part of the house. It had been opened since she had shut it hours ago.

And I know you're shining down on me

From heaven

Like so many friends we've lost along the way

And I know eventually we'll be together

One Sweet Day

Chi Chi walked to the windows, peering out into the night sky. There was a starless sky up above that was hidden underneath a blanket of dark clouds. She sniffled, a moment of a memory flashing into her mind. When it passed, she turned her head to her right side, closing her eyes shut tight. She didn't want to remember. Goku's death was still fresh in her mind. She didn't want to think about it.

She turned and placed her back upon the freezing glass, her eyes opening enough to take in the outline of the bed. Gohan's small figure was still sound asleep in the bed, not even knowing his mother's cries of pain. Let him sleep. He deserves it. After all, he helped save the world. He's been through enough already. Seeing me will make him cry as well.

Darling I never showed you

Assumed you'd always be there

Took your presence for granted

But I always cared

And I miss the love we shared

She sighed again, opening her eyes fully. There were things she wished she could have taken back that she had said to her husband. All the fights that they went through had flashed in her mind, minute after endless minute, every word echoing in her head. There were times in those arguments that petty things arose that should not have been brought up. She felt like a fool for saying those things to him. They were hurtfull words that had cut deep within the Saiyan's soul. That's probably what helped kill him. The things that I said to him.

There were also times that she had wished she had told him the things that she never got to say to him. All of the things that stood out in her mind was the fact that she never told him that she had loved him before he died. Or said goodbye for that matter. Those few small things had gathered up within her and now was screaming at her for not doing anything about it. Now those moments were gone. Gone forever. Never leaving her lips for all eternity.

And I know you're shining down on me

From heaven

Like so many friends we've lost along

The way

And I know eventually we'll be together

One Sweet Day

Chi Chi took in a deep breath and pushed herself from the window. She walked around the room for several moments, not wanting to climb back into the bed. Sleep was in her mind, though, and would not go away. But there was no chance that it would happen. She had not slept in two days and probably would not for a long time. Her love for her husband was still there but pain was mixed in with it. But she made herself walk to the bed and lay down next to her son, wrapping herself in a blanket of darkness.

There was a knock at the front door; faint but the human woman heard it. She sat up, wiping the tears from her cheeks as she swung her legs to the side of the bed. She placed them on the ground and slowly stood up, taking in the air that was around them and feeding it to her lungs. She walked to the door, slowly, dragging her feet on the ground. She placed a hand on the doorknob, taking a glance at her sleeping son before she opened the door and walked out. She shivered in the coldness even though it was warm in the house. There was another knock as she forced her body to move forwards.

Although the sun will shine the same

I'll always look to a brighter day

Lord I know when I lay me down to sleep

You will always listen as I pray

"I'm coming, damn it." Chi Chi grumbled under her breath, shaking her head for two more knocks followed. She finally made it to the front door, placing a hand on it as she did. At times she wished she could easily blast the door wide open, sending the people on the other side to HFIL. But that was the easy answer. There was no point in doing that now as she opened the door that lead to the outside night. When she poked her head out of the house, and looked around, there was nothing there. Only a gust of wind swirled by with leaves in it's claws.

She stared out into the emptyness, ready to close the door when she looked down. On the step there was a white rose, the steam long and free of thorns. Chi Chi tilted her head and walked out, picking the rose up and brought it closer to her face. She put it to her nose, smelling it before she placed it to her cheek. She looked up at the night sky, the dark clouds moving out of the way. The stars were now shining brightly in the void that was once then. Shining down upon her.

And I know you're shining down on me

From heaven

Like so many friends we've lost along

The way

And I know eventually we'll be together

One Sweet Day

She turned around and walked to the door but stopped when she did. She turned her head back to the stars, her eyes narrowing just slightly. She stood there for several moments, her eyes fixed on them, before she shook her head and turned around, walking into the house while closing the door behind her. She pushed her back upon the door and slid to the ground, the tears coming back down her cheeks and falling upon the white rose. For a moment in time she had thought she had seen Goku's face upon the stars. Then it had vanished just as suddenly as it had appeared. Had I really seen him or am I just thinking about him too much?

Chi Chi placed her right cheek upon the rose, tilting her head ever so slightly as she did, a smile coming upon her lips, a soft chuckle coming from deep within. No. I saw him. He saw me. I know he hasn't left me totally. He's still watching over me and Gohan, making sure that nothing ever happens to us.

And I know you're shining down on me

From heaven

Like so many friends we've lost along

The way

And I know eventually we'll be together

One Sweet Day

The wind outside moved quicker then before, kicking up some dust from the ground. It floated together, becoming one with the air. The dust held a shadow that was walking away from the house as it turned it's head over it's shoulder, a happy look on it's face and a smile on it's lips. Then the dust was whisked away, the shadow becoming lost with the night.

And the wind carried a whisper of 'I love you' before that too was silent.

Sorry I never told you

All that I wanted to say....

~*~El Fin~*~