Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Paint it Black ❯ Disappointed Praise ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Sorry this wasn't out sooner. I've been working on my new original fic and Version 3.0 of An Unexpected Love.

Chapter 4: Disappointed Praise

Vegeta's pod hit the red cushion as he landed. It had been a long, uneventful ride and he was bored. His legs ached from sitting in the same position for so long, and he decided to go train right away. He was just glad he was so short for his age; it gave him the ability to shift around in his pod more. He had once found himself upside down, with his feet hanging over the back of the chair. It had been comfortable for a while, different from the normal sitting position, anyway.

As he stepped out of the ship and stretched a brown creature with a long snout rushed over and bowed deeply. He wore a simple white shirt and matching pants and Vegeta knew he wasn't a fighter. He frowned and prepared to walk off. This pathetic and weak being didn't deserve his time.

"Welcome back, Prince Vegeta. Lord Frieza requests your immediate presence." His head was still bowed to the floor and he missed Vegeta's scowl.

"There was no need for you to tell me," the Saiya-jin said. "Everyone has to report to Frieza when they return from a mission."

The creature looked up at him, his face a picture of sympathy. "Of course," he said slowly. "I'm sorry to have bothered you." He backed away until he was a good twelve feet away before straightening up and turning around. As he took a seat at a table lined with computers, he glanced at Vegeta out of the corner of his eye. He turned away as he saw the prince still watching him, but he couldn't hide the look of pity in his eyes.

Vegeta frowned as he turned towards Frieza's room. It was more than strange that the creature had told him what to do. It was common knowledge that, unless you were dying, the first thing to do upon returning from a mission was to report to Frieza. Otherwise you would make your way to the nearest regeneration tank.

The halls were fairly empty and those Vegeta did pass smiled sympathetically at him. This only added to his confusion. What's with all the pity? he thought angrily. What the hell happened!?

He opened the door to Frieza's room without knocking and knelt on the ground, his head bowed. He didn't bother waiting for Frieza's permission to stand. "I've returned from my mission and reported to you as requested he said.

Frieza nodded curtly. "I must admit that I'm proud of your work, Vegeta. Not one creature survived. However, you did go to Ellom-sei without permission." At the mention of Ellom-sei Frieza's face clouded over and Vegeta swallowed. He'd been expecting this.

"My apologizes, Lord Frieza," Vegeta replied, bowing his head. "I was... forced to go." It was a partial lie. He had chosen to go, in a way, but in another his pride had forced him. He would never back down from dare nor challenge.

Frieza raised an eyebrow. "Forced, you say? My sources tell me otherwise. But either way, you left the planet without ridding it of its inhabitants. Now the planet can't even be used."

"The majority died."

"The majority is not all." Frieza turned in his chair as he stared out the window. "Learn from your mistakes, Saiya-jin. Never go to another planet without my permission again."

Vegeta breathed a sigh of relief. He was being let off with nothing more than a warning. "Of course, Lord Frieza. I won't."

Frieza turned to face him once more. "You still must be punished, though. I'm sure you knew what you were doing was wrong and against the rules."

Vegeta's eyes widened. "I do, Lord Frieza. It was extremely wrong," he said, his voice shaky. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"I'm sure it won't, but I must ensure this... Meet me in the training facilities tomorrow morning immediately after breakfast. I suggest you bring your armour."

The Saiya-jin blanched as Frieza turned casually away. A tall blue man with a long, green braid walked towards Vegeta. His name was Zarbon, the prince recalled vaguely. Zarbon led Vegeta to the door where the scaly man pushed him into the hall. Passersby spared Vegeta half-hearted smiles.

They know, he realized. They know what Frieza's planning to do...

He suddenly perked up as he felt bile rise into his throat and he went running down the hall to find a washroom.

***

Vegeta didn't sleep at all that night. He spent the long hours in the washroom as he threw-up at irregular intervals. He was terrified of what might happen to him. He had heard stories of Frieza disposing of people without a second thought and he had been told to bring his armour. He could only imagine what would happen. As a sudden image of him with his face a bloody mass appeared in his head he bent over the toilet and heaved, his vomit more liquid than solid. He had already thrown-up the little food in his stomach.

He was exhausted, but sleep wouldn't come. His mind was racing as he tried desperately to think of a way to get himself out of the mess he'd gotten into. The thought of constructing a time machine came to him once and in his panic he had tried to build one using his bed and a spoon. As anyone could guess the end result was only more panic and frustration, not to mention a completely destroyed food utensil.

Every time he threw-up he could feel himself getting weaker. If Frieza was intending to kill him he wouldn't stand a chance. While the monster had instructed Vegeta meet him after breakfast, the boy doubted he would be able to keep any food down.

Vegeta hadn't even realized morning had come until he heard the sounds of people talking amongst each other as they walked past his room towards the dining hall. He peered out of the washroom at the clock that sat on a small table near his bed and decided that it was time to leave. He would face Frieza as expected. He wasn't about to let a whole night of vomiting and no sleep go to waste.

He wiped his mouth with a white-gloved hand as he left his room. Unlike the previous day, when everyone had spared him a smile, no one dared look at him. It was as though he were cursed, and laying eyes upon him would result in their death. He walked arrogantly down the halls just the same, holding himself authoritatively.

Vegeta only stared at the food placed in front of him, fighting to keep himself from vomiting again. He was afraid, though he would never admit to it. No one seemed to notice him as they talked animatedly, some speaking of recent missions, others speaking of home planets. None seemed to be frightened of their future, nor angry that their past held such pain and suffering.

He was the first to leave the dining hall. There was no reason for him to remain there any longer; he wasn't eating and he was only postponing the inevitable.

Frieza was already there when Vegeta arrived, though his back was to him. He swallowed and held his head high. He kneeled a short distance away and said, "I have come as requested, Lord Frieza."

Frieza turned at his voice and a smile spread across his face. "I see you have taken my suggestion and brought your armour."

Vegeta only nodded as he was instructed to stand. The instant he was on his feet a tail wrapped around his waist and he had a sudden, horrific flashback.

I was suddenly grabbed around the waist and lifted into the air. I let out a shout of surprise, before snarling and firing a Ki blast at the constraining appendage. Though it was a direct hit, the owner didn't seem to notice. The smoke was already clearing, though my eyes still stung, and I squeezed them shut, trying to relieve them of the pain.

"There is only one treaty I will sign," I heard Frieza declare and with horror, I realized that it was he would held me in the air. I turned, peering through the smoke, and saw that he had his tail wrapped around me, his arms crossed as he faced the conference room. Turning, I saw my father standing there, his eye twitching, and all the second and first class warriors behind him.

Before he could speak a fist was plowed into his face and a familiar image of him laying upon the ground with his flesh torn and bleeding suddenly appeared. He lashed out from instinct and was pleased to feel his foot strike what felt like armour. His enjoyment was short-lived however, as he took another blow to his stomach. He bent forward, wrapping his arms around himself, as Frieza slammed his fist into his jaw, breaking it with a sickening crack.

Vegeta's vision swam at the pain and he could feel sweat sliding down his face. He knew that no matter what he could not pass out. It would surely be the end of him if he did.

He felt more than saw himself being moved through the air, slowly in one direction, then faster in another as the tail unwrapped from around his waist. He was airborne for only a few moments before he slammed into the wall. He slid to the wall with a groan. He opened his eyes and through the spots that danced before him he saw Frieza approach, a wicked smirk on his face.

"Naughty boys must be taught lessons..." he said as his fist came down once more.

***

Frieza left the training facility almost ten minutes later. He noticed the large crowd outside the facility but said nothing of it. He cared not whether they saw the mess Vegeta was in or not. He cared not whether or not the boy lived or not, though something told him the prince would. He was almost certain the boy would be healed in only a matter of days.

He did have to credit Vegeta, though, for surviving the brutal beating he had just received.

***

A/N: I'm so brutal, aren't I? Just letting Frieza do that to my Veggie-chan. *huggles Saiya-jin prince*

Okay, onward. Kind of short, but I got where I wanted to. Things will only get worse as time wears on. Chapter 5: Betrayal should be out soon.