Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Plotting to Win ❯ There's No Place Like Home ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Dragonball Z and its characters are owned by several people, including Akira Toriyama, Shonen Jump, Bird Studios, Toei, Viz, and Funimation. In other words, it doesn't belong to me. No money was made from the creation of this story, and in fact money was lost from the use of utilities needed to power the laptop I work on.

Plotting to Win
by Lady Lark


Chapter 4: There's No Place Like Home

The tall buildings of West Capital City became shorter and less condensed as Goten flew east. The city gave way to vast sprawling suburbs which in turn gave way to rolling countryside. The young man absentmindedly watched the landscape whiz by beneath him. He had flown this way countless of times and could almost manage the trip asleep. In fact in his current state of preoccupation, he would probably be more aware of his surroundings while visiting the land of Nod.

Unsurprisingly, his thoughts were focussed on Bra and the bet. Goten knew he needed help, and his family was really the only support system he had left. But even then, not every member of his family would be able to provide useful advice. Goten painstakingly reviewed each of his family members, assessing their suitability.

He ruled his father out immediately. If Goku were even home, which was highly unlikely, he would not be able to tender any useful advice. Considering that Goten had heard from Bulma that Goku didn't know male from female when he was thirteen and thought that marriage was a type of food, Goten surmised that his father was not going to have the faintest idea of how to woo a women to his bed.

His mother, Chi-chi, was almost as bad. She had latched onto Goku with her typical single-mindedness and had done everything in her power to win him. Now, while her advice could be useful, he doubted he would be able to stand up to her scrutiny of exactly why he was asking. He had no illusions about his ability to stand up to his mother. Chi-chi was still as formidable in her later years as she had been when she still was a fighter in her own right.

That left Gohan and by extension his wife, Videl. Goten still admired his scholarly big brother and still harbored a schoolboy crush on his sister-in-law. The two, despite Buu, Mr. Satan, and Chi-chi's interference, had managed to conduct a fairly typical courtship. They were Goten's only hope.

He glanced below him, pleased to note that the ground below had switched from a patchwork of farms to heavily forested hills. A few more minutes of flying and he would be at the Son household. It was later in the day here he noted, looking at the sun which was not quite overhead. Beneath him, a dirt road branched off of the main highway, and Goten turned to follow it. Just ahead, he could make out the fishing hole and to the right was his and Gohan's old training grounds. The familiar haunts brought a smile to his face.

He was home!

Gohan and Videl's house came into view, and behind rested his parents' squat cottage. Landing inside the gate, he walked up to the front door, idly humming a jaunty tune under his breath. Absently, he knocked on the door.

No response.

Goten backed up and peered around the side of the house. Videl's car was there as was Gohan's. His brow wrinkled in confusion, he knocked on the door again.

No response.

He tried the doorknob, and found it unlocked. Knocking softly as he opened the door he called out. "Hello? Is anyone home? It's me, Goten."

He didn't see anyone, although he did hear voices coming from the upstairs. Goten shrugged, they were probably watching television and had the volume up too loud. He walked up the stairs and towards the bedroom.

Rapping his knuckles twice on the doorframe, he opened the door without waiting for a response.

"Hey guys, you might want to keep the volume dow-wah!" he broke off abruptly, his eyes straining in their sockets as his jaw hit the floor. Videl was straddling Gohan, while his brother's hands roamed his wife's torso.

"Oh Shit! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I knocked. Really, I did! You just didn't hear me!" Goten stammered, unable to tear his eyes from the couple.

Without breaking her rhythm, Videl turned as if in slow motion. She took in Goten's dumbfounded expression and Gohan's continued fondling from half-lidded eyes.

"Goten, go back downstairs. We'll be with you in a moment," she stated matter-of-factly, before turning her attention back to her husband. "Don't you even think of stopping, big boy. I am not through with you yet."

Goten blinked, his jaw still resting on his chest, and began backing out of the room, closing the door behind him.

What the hell had just happened?!

His brother was having sex with his wife! At home. With the doors unlocked. In the middle of the bloody day! What were they thinking?!

Unbidden, his mind flashed pictures of Videl's naked body at him. Even after 18 years of marriage and a child, she still looked good. He chuckled, ruefully. For a moment, he was a teenager again. If he had a woman like Videl, he certainly would be making love to her well and regularly.

He wandered back downstairs and into the kitchen. He could see the remnants of breakfast on the table, and a few dirty pots and pans set in the sink to soak. Noting the discarded bathrobe and pajama top, Goten grinned. The foreplay had definitely started in the kitchen and then made its way into the bedroom. Nothing like a full stomach to turn a Saiyajin on, he mused.

Deciding to make himself useful, he gathered up the breakfast dishes and brought them over to the sink. His mom had trained him well, he reflected. After learning from her husband and first born son the prodigious amounts of food, and by extension number of dishes, were needed to feed a Saiyajin she had forced Gohan and Goten to do the dishes after every meal. As she explained when confronted by her petulant sons, if she had to cook the meals, clean the house, and do the laundry the least her children could do was help with the dishes. His hands absently scrubbed the pots, pans, and plates in the sudsy water as his mind wandered.

"Your upbringing is showing, Goten. Be careful some girl doesn't snap you up to be her house husband."

Videl's arch tones pierced his reverie. He looked up and saw her leaning in the doorway arms crossed. She was now showered and dressed in jeans and t-shirt. She held a hair brush in one hand and a hair tie in the other.

He flashed a grin at her. "If she looked like you, I wouldn't mind."

Videl laughed. "You haven't changed much."

"Nope. You want to help me finish these off?" he asked, motioning to the small of dishes he had left.

"Oh hell no. You get to finish those on your own. Consider it penance for interrupting what was supposed to be a romantic weekend for the two of us," Videl replied, sitting down at the table.

"Sorry about that, Videl. I did knock."

"I know you did. But I was kinda busy at the time. Would you have answered if you were in my position?"

Thinking of how he had found them, Goten winced as a blush tinged his cheeks. "No," he answered timidly before turning back to the dishes.

"I would certainly hope not!" she replied testily. "What I don't get is, why didn't you call first? It isn't like West Capital City is anywhere near here. So this isn't just a quick hop down the road. I remember it used to take me two hours to fly here from Satan City while in High School. And Satan City is a heck of a lot closer."

"I'm sorry, Videl. I didn't think . . .."

"No, you didn't."

"Let me try to rephrase that. I really wanted to talk to you. . ."

"There's a phone right there," she interrupted, motioning to the unit on the wall with one hand. "And I'm pretty sure that you have one at your apartment that works. Provided that you paid your bill. You did pay your phone bill, didn't you?"

"Yeah. But this was something that I needed to talk to you in person. To BOTH of you."

"Ahhhh. . ."

"What do you mean 'Ah?'" he asked, rinsing off the last plate and setting it in the drainer.

"Oh, nothing. Look, Gohan should be down here in a second and he's pretty grumpy. And to be honest, I am too. If I were you, I would apologize immediately and get right to the girl trouble. I think that distraction is going to be the key to making sure that you survive."

"Uh, thanks. I think. What do you mean 'girl trouble?'"

Videl gave him a look that said 'What do you think I am? Stupid?' "Goten, you get the bright idea to fly halfway across the continent at what had to be pretty damn early in the morning for you to come talk to your family about something. And the only problem serious enough that you would want to talk to both of us about is a girl. Or rather 'the' girl." She paused, assessing Goten's reaction. "Is it Paris?"

"What? No! Paris and I aren't seeing each other anymore, haven't for a couple of months. But I can see your point."

"What point?" Gohan asked as he walked into the room, a towel in one hand. Videl got up from the table to go stand by her husband. He leaned down to give her a quick kiss, before fixing his gaze upon his younger brother.

"Um, we'll get to that," Goten responded, nervously. "Look, I wanted to apologize. I honestly didn't think about the fact that I might be disturbing you." Gohan's right eyebrow went up in askance. "But I really wanted to talk to both you and Videl."

"About what?"

"Well, talk really isn't the right word. More like beg you for advice. I need your help, and Trunks isn't someone I can turn to." The other eyebrow joined its twin. "Videl is right. It is about a girl. I don't know if she is 'the' girl. But she is definitely someone."

"Hmmm, interesting."

"How long have you known her, Goten?"

Goten squirmed, inwardly. He knew that he was going to have to tread carefully when it came to answering. He didn't want to give away exactly who he was pumping them for information about, considering that Bra was close in age to their own daughter, Pan, but he didn't want to lie either.

"It seems like I've known her forever," he replied. Technically this was true. He had known Bra since she was in diapers, but he knew that Gohan and Videl would assume he meant figuratively not literally.

Gohan verified that his vague response had fooled them a moment later. "I felt that way about Videl when we first met. Like I'd known her before, I just needed to be reintroduced. But at the same time, I felt like I knew nothing about her. She was a mystery. Am I correct in assuming you feel the same?"

Goten nodded.

Videl jumped in. "Before we get too into this, who wants a snack?" Both Saiyajins raised their hands in unison. "I thought so. You keep talking, I'll whip something up. Something tells me that this isn't going to be a short conversation, and I know Saiyajin appetites."

As if on cue, Goten's stomach growled.

Gohan and Videl looked at each other and then at Goten in surprise. At his shamefaced grin, the couple burst out laughing.

"You can't say that my woman's intuition is off, Gohan. Not with your brother living proof."

"I wouldn't dream of contradicting you, dear."

"Of course not, you know I'd kick your butt."

"Yes, I don't want that. You might hurt your foot and then where would I be? You'd be an invalid and I would have to cater to your every whim. We can't be having that now," Gohan said dryly.

"Damn straight."

Goten watched the exchange in fascination. He rarely had the opportunity to see such an obviously loving long-term couple in action. He was struck by their playful banter and in turn by the similarity between his and Bra's conversation the night before. He had never really bantered with a woman before. Sure he had teased them. But that was all in the name of flirtation, this was different. It was special and it showed an easy familiarity with the other. A comfortable communication. No mushy or flowery love phrases were needed, they were secure in their love. And for a moment, Goten envied his big brother.

Shaking his head to force the tendrils of jealousy back, Goten forced himself to remember the bet and the real reason why he had come. He schooled his features into that of plaintive need and turned his now liquid black eyes to his sister-in-law. "Videl, could I please get that snack? I'm staaaarving."

Videl flashed a loving smile to her husband before replying. "Sure no problem, Goten. What do you fancy?"

"Food!"

"You are so like your father."

Goten forcibly repressed a wince. He loved his father. But after spending his first years of life without him and then later his young adult years, he resented the man who sired him. He'd always been envious of Trunks' and Vegeta's relationship and the Saiyajin's prince's commitment to his family. He didn't want to be anything like Goku.

"Getting back to why I came, you're right, Gohan, I do feel the same. I feel like I've known this girl my entire life but I've only just become aware of how much I don't know about her. She is different from every other woman I have known."

"Oh my Goten, do you have it bad."

Gohan nodded. "Yep."

"I do not! I just want to get to know her better."

"Well have you tried talking to her. I know it is a new concept and all considering that communication doesn't seem to be your strongest suit, but I hear it works," Videl teased.

"Videl, you aren't helping."

"Sorry, dear. But really. Talking to her would be a good plan."

"I've tried. But what I normally do doesn't seem to work. She doesn't like flattery and isn't interested in my muscles or martial arts titles. And to top it off, I don't know what to talk about. Besides, I'm not even sure she is interested in me. I mean, she is smart, gorgeous, talented, and rich to boot. What could she want with a dumb ole muscle-head from the sticks?"

"Oh, Goten . . ." Videl's tone suddenly changed from teasing to sympathetic.

"That's why you wanted to talk to both of us isn't it? Because I was the muscle-head from the sticks who got the smart, gorgeous, talented, and rich girl. Am I right?"

"Kinda. You're smart, Gohan. I don't even have that going for me."

"No, you're not as smart as I am, that is true. But you are a lot more socialized and outgoing than I am. Considering that my role models growing up were a brain-damaged alien and a former demon king I didn't have much in the social skills territory."

"That's for sure," his wife commented wryly.

"But what good will being outgoing do me? I've tried all of the things that normally work and they've either pissed her off or made her laugh at me."

Videl pondered this, her face screwed up into a mask of concentration. Then like the sun coming out from behind a cloud, her face brightened. "Gohan, go make coffee and pull out the rest of the coffee cake from this morning. I think I may have something and I don't want to lose it."

Gohan nodded, and got up from his chair as started rummaging through cupboards.

"Goten, when you said you tried everything that normally worked. What exactly 'normally works?'"

"You know, flirting. Telling her that she is beautiful. Arranging it so that we can dance together for a long time. Buying her a drink. The normal stuff."

She nodded. "I thought so. When I was in high school and later college, I would shoot down or physically hurt guys who would do that. You want to know why?"

"Uh-huh."

"Because they were treating me like an object or a prize to be won, not a person. Some women like the being the damsel in distress to be won while others will fight the dragon and free themselves. Most, however, fall somewhere in the middle. I hated being told that I was beautiful. Why? Because it sounded fake. I have no illusions about my looks. I am attractive, but I never was supermodel material. Also, how much do you pay attention to what women tell you?"

"I'm not sure I know what you mean?"

"Do you listen to them?"

"Well, yeah?"

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, so what did I just say?"

Goten blinked. His mind blanked and he stared at Videl helplessly. Meticulously, he started replaying their conversation in his head, trying to remember exactly what she had said. As he struggled with his blank memory, he tuned out his surroundings.

For her part, Videl just sat back in her chair with her arms crossed. A bemused smile on her lips, she patiently waited for Goten to speak. Idly, her foot tapped out the seconds.

Gohan turned around from the counter where he had finished prepping the coffee maker. His eyes took in the scene: smug wife and befuddled brother. Shrugging, he strolled to the refrigerator and pulled the remaining half a pan of coffee cake out. Taking, it back to the counter, he cut out two large portions for Goten and himself and a smaller piece for Videl. He decided against putting the left over away, surmising that either he or Goten would finish it off.

Juggling three plates and forks that he fished from a drawer, he carefully walked to the table. He set Goten's serving down, then walked over to Videl. He noted that the two had not moved, and the hint of smile formed. Touching his wife's shoulder, he held the cake out to her. She glanced up at him and smiled her thanks, taking the plate from him. However, she was not distracted for long, once Gohan moved over to his place at the table, she returned to watching Goten.

Deciding that the silence had gone on long enough, Gohan addressed his wife. "Videl, you realize that it isn't fair to put Goten on the spot like that."

She nodded, her eyes never leaving her prey.

"Then why did you do it?"

"I wanted to prove a point, Gohan."

"I understand that. But you remember what it was like to come into class and discover that you had a pop-quiz, even though you knew you knew the subject all of the data flew from your head."

Videl shook her head. "I never had that happen."

"I don't believe you. You're telling me you never forgot things."

"I didn't say that. I just never got so startled by something that I lost all ability to think."

"I disagree. What about when I asked you to marry me?"

"That's different."

"How so?"

Tearing her gaze from her brother-in-law, she turned to face her husband. "Because I didn't lose my ability to think, I lost my ability to speak. My heart had taken up residence in my throat and I couldn't force a single word out. I remember wanting to scream 'Yes' from the top of my lungs, but my stupid heart was too full to let me."

"Oh."

"Yeah, oh."

"Have I mentioned that I love you, Videl Son."

"Not in the past hour, no."

"I love you."

"I love you, too. So can I go back to torturing your brother?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because, you've tortured him enough."

Surfacing from the depths of his mind, Goten caught the tail end of Gohan's defense. "It's ok, Gohan. I got it. I just had to replay the conversation in my head."

"So?" Videl asked, leaning forward in her chair.

"So you basically said that each woman is different and what works for one won't work for another. And that I will have to listen to what the woman is saying and not saying at the same time. Am I right?"

"Ding. Ding. Ding. Give the man a prize. That is right. You can't treat each woman the same, because they aren't. I'm guessing that the girl you like is fairly independent and strong. Which means that she doesn't want a savior or a boy-toy, she want someone who treats her like a human and a partner. Are you up for that?"

"I don't know, Videl. I really don't."

"That's a fair answer, bro," Gohan chimed in. "You can't know if you are ready for a commitment just yet. But do you have a better idea of where to start?"

"Kinda. I'm still not sure what she would like to do. But I think I can make a go at it."

Videl got up from her seat and gave Goten a big hug. "That's the spirit. She sounds like some girl."

"She is."

"What's her name?"

Goten shook his head. "I don't like keeping secrets from you, but she is pretty famous. If things work out, I'd be more than happy to tell you. But until then, I don't want you to laugh at me or discourage me based your impression of her." He'd been expecting this question, so he had an answer prepared.

"Ah. Well can you tell us where you met her?"

He nodded. "Yeah. At one of Capsule Corps parties." This was also true. He was first introduced to Bra as a baby at Trunks' birthday party.

"So Trunks knows her." It wasn't a question.

"He's the one who pointed her out to me."

"Videl, I think you've given him enough of the third degree. If he wants to tell us more, he will."

His wife sighed, but nodded. "Sorry about that, Goten. I'm just curious about the girl who has managed to capture that free-range heart of yours."

Again, Goten winced inwardly. He hated deceiving his family like this. But he did not want them finding out about the dare.

"I'm sorry too. But it really is for the best."

"I know you think that but we're your family."

"Videl . . ." Gohan said warningly.

"Okay. Okay. I get the hint." She got off of her knees in front of Goten where she had knelt to hug him earlier, and brushed herself off. "So who wants coffee?"

The two brothers looked at each other in shock, then as one burst out laughing.

"Videl, you are a great hostess. But I'd better get going. I have some arrangements I need to make and a special lady to talk to." He rose from his chair, snagging the coffee cake in one hand to take with him. Videl and Gohan walked him to the door.

Outside, Videl gave him another quick hug. "I was good seeing you again, Goten."

"Same here," he said, rising into the air. "Sorry about earlier."

"You're forgiven, bro."

"Thanks." He started to turn away when his brother's voice stopped him

"Oh and Goten . . ."

"Yeah?"

"Call first."


AN: A couple of people have commented that I am writing Bra differently than how most of the rest of fanfiction writers do. That is because I am not basing her off of the GT Bra but my personal interpretation of what a child of Bulma and Vegeta would be like. I can't see her being an airhead like Maron, Krillin's girlfriend in the anime filler, and that is how she is portrayed a lot. In fact, I am not using GT as any of the basis for this fic. In general I think that the writers DBGT got a lot of things wrong. So that means no Bebi, no Planet Plant, no SSJ4, no evil Shenlong, Ubuu is still alive, Goku is still alive (just not around a lot,) and there are still Dragonballs. I made that decision pretty early on after sitting down and watching GT that I wasn't going to use it for the basis of this story. So really this is a continuation of the DBZ universe which leaves a lot more open.

Second, I realized after I posted Chapter 3 that I forgot to explain what the flowers were saying. The bouquet that Goten normally sends, forget-me-nots and Yellow roses - means "remember unfaithfulness" - not a cheery sentiment but a bit of a warning from Goten to the girl. The bouquet he sends Bra - Lilacs, Violets, and Ferns - means "You occupy my thoughts with the first signs of love and I mean this sincerely" - a lot mushier but I thought it was amusing. Anyway The reference for this is "Knock on Wood & Other superstitions" by Carole Potter. Let it not be said that I don't cite my sources.

Third, I forgot to give proper reference to the black panties line. It was inspired from the movie "10 Things I Hate About You" one of my favorite chick flicks.

I really appreciate all of the feedback that I have been getting. And I am not going to abandon this story. Yes it does take me a long time to write. That's because I go through phases where all I want to do is set words to paper, then I go to the flip side of that where I don't even want to think about writing.

But no worries for you, reader. This fic will get finished. It is too much fun to write. I end up reading it aloud to my roommate before ever posting it and it often has both she and I laughing maniacally. Anything that makes me want to read more to find out what happens even as I am writing it is a good thing.