Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Rebel Princess ❯ Father and Daughter almost connect ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 Father and Daughter Connect
 
Disclaimer: All Veronica's friends are OCs as well.
 
She ran out of the Capsule Corp and all the way down the street till she reached the corner where a few of her friends were waiting. There was: Kano who always wore his red ball cap backwards as his trademark. He was short with black hair, but very athletic. Also there was Toshiro; he was tall and gangly, with black hair and glasses. He was the smartest kid at West High, and then there was Shina. She was a sweet girl with long curly brown hair, and she had a way with words, a poet. These were the only three of her friends that lived nearby to Capsule Corp so they always walked to school together. Veronica had opted to go to West High instead of being privately tutored like her brother and sister, but she wanted to have friends and she didn't consider herself a genius like they were.
 
“Hey Ronnie! Hurry up would ya?” Kano yelled. Veronica didn't like her name, it sounded so formal, so she preferred to be called Ronnie. Only her parents called her Veronica that was how she liked it.
 
“I'm hurrying, jeez Kano we go through this every morning I swear.”
 
She caught up to them and Toshiro glanced at her, “So, did your mom find out about your grade in biology yet?”
 
Veronica sighed heavily and groaned holding her head in her hands, “Yes! I have two weeks to bring the grade up or they'll take my computer away!”
 
“Ouch, that's really gotta hurt for a junkie like you.” Kano commented sarcastically.
 
Veronica laughed and smacked his hat up off his head. “Yeah Kano, I spend all day mesmerized by the shiny screen, just like you and those dumb video games.” Kano caught his hat and quickly shoved it back on his head to hide his hat hair, but not before sticking his tongue out at her.
 
Veronica laughed and Toshiro stared at Kano with a dry expression on his face. “Very mature,” he commented in passing, “I can help you bring your grade up Ronnie.”
 
“You can! That would be great Toshiro! Thank you SO MUCH!”
 
Toshiro nodded and Shina timidly raised a hand to Veronica in it was clasped a paper.
 
“This is my newest work; I want your honest opinion!” Shina said ardently interested in hearing her friends, opinion.
 
Veronica took it and read it with all serious critical intensity, Veronica was always startled by the incite of Shina's poetry and had taken her completely serious and even suspected her for an empath once when she wrote a poem concerning, golden haired knights and modern dragons.
 
Veronica's eyebrows betrayed her awe before she could speak it. “Dude this is awesome! Where did the inspiration for this come from?!”
 
“It just came to me last night…from nowhere.”
 
“I wish I had that inspiration. Just poof and you know what you want to write.”
 
Kano laughed and started walking backwards facing them with his hands clasped behind his head. “Ronnie, your poetry is sporadic, remember that day in gym you were randomly inspired and HAD to write it down but had no paper so wrote it on your forearm?”
 
“I remember, not one of my best ideas.”
 
They arrived at school soon enough without mishap, and Veronica headed off to English. She walked in just as the bell rang and fell into her seat between her friends Ebony and Jas. “How's it hanging fellas?” Veronica asked pulling her books out of her bag haphazardly.
 
Ebony sighed and said, “The usual, trying to overcome this humdrum existence with nothing but words as my wings to carry me away from the unwavering stupidity of humanity.”
 
Veronica raised an eyebrow and asked, “Were you reading the dictionary again?” Ebony was for all intents and purpose a bohemian goth, aside from the fact that she had tan and not pale skin. She wore all black and spiked jewelry, had long black hair and sometimes wrote dark poetry and philosophized about existence, but that was only on the days when she missed her morning coffee. She was however very bright, and completely hysterical.
 
“How'd you know?” She asked with a duh obvious look on her face.
 
Jas groaned and held her head up with her left arm propped up on the desk, her similarly long black hair falling on her desk. “It's too early in the morning for this!”
 
Veronica laughed, “Yeah I know it is. So you ready for military history today?! I am stoked for movie day!” Jas perked up at Veronica's words.
 
“YES! I am! You think they'll be lots of gore!” Jas asked enthusiastically.
 
“TONS!” Veronica responded.
 
“Yes!” They shouted in unison high fiving. Jas was a fighter like Veronica, not nearly as strong, but skilled enough to spar with her without be coming pulp.
 
Veronica's day went by pretty calmly, for once, until biology. She had biology with Toshiro and Kano, and she and Kano made it their life's ambition to torment their teacher Mr. McGinnis. They spent half their time in detention because of him and their antics.
 
Then came every saiyan's favorite time of day. LUNCH HOUR! There was one tree on the West High Campus, it was pretty big and Veronica and her friends had claimed it for their own during lunch hour every year, they had been in high school. As they began to gather Veronica took up her spot in the lowest branch of the wide tree and began to munch on her lunch. Jas, Ebony, Kano, Toshiro, and Shina were all gathered at the bottom or in branches as the case maybe, and were soon joined by the rest of their motley crew, Eva, Shawn, and Ethan. All of them were musicians; Eva was a mean guitarists with long blonde hair and a joker to boot, as was her similarly tall and blonde counterpart Shawn, the drummer. Followed lastly by Ethan with his short greasy black hair, he was also a guitarist, and Ebony's likewise goth boyfriend, quiet, but profound and or sarcastic when he finally spoke.
 
The diversity that congregated beneath that tree was a testament to Earth's potential, why Goku and the rest worked so hard to protect it. Veronica knew this all too well, but like any teenager she was like to forget such fortune.
 
She bit into her apple and took out a large chunk when she heard Jas speak, “Yo Ronnie! How's about a sparring match this afternoon?”
 
“Sure, beats going home to hang out with my annoying family.”
 
“Yeah, your dad's scary.” Kano said with a shiver.
 
“And your brother's a total ass!” Ebony added.
 
“I don't know, I think he's kinda cute.” Eva interrupted.
 
“Ugh, Eva don't say things like that around me I'll lose my lunch.” Ronnie said imitating the fact that she would barf. They all laughed.
 
“Well your sister. Wow she is downright gorgeous!” Shawn commented.
 
“That's it, I'm throwing up.”
 
“What about your mom?” Jas said rolling her eyes.
 
“Don't even get me STARTED! She wants me to be a genius inventor like her and Trunks. What if I want to be something else, huh?”
 
“Like what?” Ethan asked.
 
Veronica smiled slyly and said, “A rock star, obviously. Wait! NO! How about a writer? A soldier? A dancer maybe? Anything!” Her exciting, yet confused answer caused amusement amongst the group and Shina smiled.
 
“Our very own wonder woman!”
 
“You'd better believe it!” Veronica said proudly flexing her muscles.
 
After her last classes of the day Veronica met up with Jas, Shina, Shawn, and Kano to go to the park for sparring.
 
“Ready to lose guys?” Veronica said smirking at her friends. Their park spars were a once a week occurrence and the boys usually went along to see if they could ever best Veronica, although with her being a saiyan that was an impossibility, plus they had no fight training, so to her it was like blocking babies.
 
“Not today Ronnie” Shawn grinned. “I've been beefing up lately.”
 
“Sure Shawn, keep telling yourself that.” Ronnie said rolling her eyes.
 
“Optimism, must be nice to have?” Jas said. Shina and Veronica laughed. Kano and Shawn frowned.
 
“Say what you will. Someday we will beat you.”
 
They trained and sparred in the park for three hours. Meanwhile….
 
Bulma was trying to get Trunks to go get her and bring her home.
 
“Trunks please, just go down to the park and pick her up.”
 
“No way mom, she can come home by herself. Why don't you beep her or something?”
 
“Because….She left her beeper and phone at home again!”
 
“Again! Mom you need to like surgically attach that thing to her.”
 
Just then Vegeta unknowingly walked into the thick of things. Bulma turned her sights quickly on him.
 
“Vegeta would you please go down to the park and retrieve your daughter!” She said pleadingly, her anger with the males of the saiyan species growing rapidly.
 
“Why should I?” Vegeta spat. Bulma's face turned to an extreme shade of red. “I don't think I have to tell you WHY! Now DO IT or you can sleep on the couch.” Bulma's voice went from raised in anger to low and sultry and she walked out of the room, not before running her hand over Vegeta's shoulders teasingly.
 
Vegeta growled, he'd never slept on the couch and he'd be damned it he started now. He stomped out the door and flew to the park. He touched down in a patch of trees, so as not to be seen. Then he walked towards where he sensed his troublesome daughter.
 
He found her sparring with Jasmine while Shawn and Kano were nursing their bumps and bruises from previous matches, while Shina sat on a rock watching intently. In this sparring match the rules were; no deadly strikes and of course no energy attacks. Veronica couldn't fly either as she was supposed to keep that a secret. Vegeta watched them for a few moments, `It has been too long since Veronica and I sparred.'
 
Vegeta was at that moment astonished at how much Veronica had grown. Somehow he had neglected to notice her change into a young woman, it was like he blinked and long gone were the days of her idolizing him, watching him train for hours doing her best to imitate, and astonishing him with her quick witted skill. There was no doubt in his mind she was a saiyan, she had always been the most dedicated to training of his children. He allowed himself a small smile as his pride in her swelled.
 
Finally coming out of his revere he shouted. “VERONICA! It is time to go! Your mother wishes you home!”
 
Veronica stopped dead, and turned to see her father standing there with his arms crossed in his classic pose. “Dad?” She whispered to herself. Vegeta did not go out in public often and he and Veronica hadn't spent much time together since she was 10 and started public school, since whenever she got home he was in the GR and usually by the time she went in he was somewhere else. Shawn and Kano saw him and froze glued to their spots. Vegeta scared the shit out of them.
 
Jas and Shina greeted him politely and Vegeta grumbled a reply. Veronica grabbed her bag and rolled her eyes. “Sorry guys gotta go.”
 
“See ya Ronnie!” They shouted as they watched her and Vegeta stalk away. They walked down the street looking for a concealed place where they could fly without being seen as they walked Veronica asked.
 
“So mom picked you to come get me huh?”
 
“Yes she did.” There was an awkward silence and Vegeta decided now was as good a time as ever to get to know his daughter as the teenager she had so quickly become when he wasn't looking. “So how was your day?” He mumbled.
 
Veronica brightened up she hard ever got to talk to her dad, although they had the best conversations. “You really wanna know?”
 
“Yes if I didn't then I wouldn't have asked?”
 
Veronica cringed at his cold tone, but went on. “Well I got an A on my Military history exam.”
 
Vegeta smirked and the expression was not lost on Veronica. “Of course, you get your strategic mind from me.”
 
“I figured as much….” She said smiling. There was another short silence as Veronica pooled her courage to ask something she had always longed to know about, her heritage. “Dad?”
 
“What?”
 
“Teach me about the saiyans?”
 
Vegeta's eyes temporarily grew huge. None of his children had ever shown an interest for the most part in their saiyan heritage, Trunks only wanted to know about saiyan habits that would affect him and Bra was practically oblivious as far as anything saiyan went, Veronica's question was a surprise. He had never told his children of his race, because he had long ago come to the bitter truth that none of it mattered. He had trouble coming to terms with it, but maintained his pride and saiyan love for the fight all the same. “Why?” He asked.
 
“It's my heritage. There are kids at school who have Spanish heritage and can speak Spanish as well as English. It would be cool to learn Saiyago. And….”
 
“I don't think so.”
 
“What do you mean?” Veronica was slightly confused.
 
“I mean I am not going to teach you saiyago.”
 
“Why not?!” Veronica questioned in earnest.
 
“I have my reasons. Don't ask me again. You will learn about saiyan biology eventually, but that is all.” Veronica knew that when Vegeta said that was the end of it, that was the end of it, it seemed as though she had no hope of ever learning about her father's people. The rest of the way home was in silence.