Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Rebirth of Destruction ❯ The Summoning ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Nope, sorry to disappoint, but we didn’t create DBZ. It all belongs to the wonderful mind of Akira Toriyama and anyone who has rights to it. We’re just having fun with the characters and we promise to give them back intact… for the most part. :-)
Author’s Notes: This epic story is a collaborative work between myself (Adli) and my friend (Tamith), so credit goes where credit is due. We’ll post the rest of the chapters soon, but in the meantime enjoy and let us know what you think!
Author's Notes II (9/23/12): So, it's been over 10 years since we started this. *wince* I had almost given up on it, but I recently got back into the fandom and thought it would be nice to finally finish it, since there is only one chapter left. I've gone back and reread the whole thing for the millionth time and managed to find yet MORE errors and typos. I fixed those and even took it upon myself to beef up some parts I thought were a bit lacking to make it flow better. Hopefully this newer and improved version is to your liking and, no promises, but perhaps the new chapter may be up after all. Enjoy!



Prologue

The freezing breeze sent a chill down his bare back. Stumbling as he walked, he dragged his feet up yet another step of the pyramid-like base they were making him climb. Only will power kept him from giving in to the powerful drug they had used to subdue him, only his mental strength kept him aware of the insane atrocity they were going to make him do. His ceremonial necklace felt heavy and rough as the exquisite beads and planks of precious metals hit his chest with a consistent thump. He tripped and fell hitting his face hard against the ivory stairs and tasted the bitter taste of blood in his mouth. A tug to the chains that bound his hands together on his back and a kick in his stomach got him to his feet again.

"I said no violence!" a strong masculine voice said close by. "We need his body to have all its strength for the ritual. It could be disastrous otherwise!"

He tried hard to focus on the familiar voice but failed, noting as his jailer was roughly shoved aside and replaced by what looked like an azure-skinned angel. He tried to catch in more, but any other effort would make him forget that which was too important. Concentrating on that thought, he hung on to it with all his might.

For centuries his people had been known throughout the universe as those who could touch the afterlife. Their history spoke of numerous demons their priests had summoned and their consequences. A powerful race, the art of what some called magic had always come naturally to them. Many of the strongest wizards known were theirs, as were the greatest wonders. Yet their gift had also been their curse. The power to create gates between the living and the dead was a great responsibility, and one that had not been taken lightly for over three millennia. As a result, much of the knowledge had been lost to the great corrosive that was time, and now this band of villains were forcing him to once more disturb the dead for the sake of the living. But the thought that a long forgotten science was being called forth wasn't his problem. What bothered him were the dark intentions behind it.

He had refused. A thousand times he had said no, and a thousand times they had insisted. Finally he had been betrayed to them by his own blood and power. Bitter tears stung his eyes at the thought. He bit his tongue and cursed the day he had been born with such awesome strength. But like everything, he too had an antithesis. He swallowed down the knot in his throat.

His was his own blood and kin.

He tripped again, but this time his new captor held him up. A strong yet soft pair of hands raised him to his feet and helped him climb up the remaining stretch of stairs.

His head swam as the drug claimed even more of him to numbness. He was led to a circular altar and set down in one of the two circles drawn in ebony stones in its middle. He felt his hands being untied, but he was no longer strong enough to struggle, let alone fight his way out of the place. The strong pair of hands still held him and he could hear muffled voices somewhere in the background. Trying to clear his mind, but failing miserably, he shook his head. A light-hearted chuckle next to his ear made him cringe. Now a singsong voice was whispering to him like a demon in his head.

"Give in..."

No.

"It's for the best. Peace will return this way."

Through blood-loss and tyranny!

"The civil war will be over! Our lord returns..."

...to his reign of terror

"No more eternal night..."

...now the fiends shall stalk during the day…

He staggered and fell backwards into someone's arms. His vision blurred and his mind drifted from him. He fought in vain to regain control.

"If you do not do this, our lord will return..."

No!

He had to get this specter away. He gathered all the power he could muster and focused it on his unknown assailant. Before he could release it, he felt it leave him and gather in someone else. A startled scream emerged from his lips as he felt the other familiar presence take his power and focus it for a new purpose...

"Do it now!" someone said behind him and he felt a huge surge of power shoot from him in two directions, first to the other, then somewhere beyond. Overwhelmed by the feeling, he gave in to the darkness that had been claiming him for a time.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------

The dark mid-winter sky shone brightly with unearthly light as the twin mages focused their power on the portal. The earth around them trembled; even the pyramid in which they stood shook under all the pressure above it. Most of the gathered crowd was now on their knees in fear or respect of the feeling of premonition that had taken over them. Waving her long, velvety braid to her back, she made her way to the side of the standing mage. The look of stress in his face was immense as he fought back all the souls seeking to escape from their prison in Hell and made his choice of two. A bright flash of light that blinded her announced the success of this mission and the portal solidified making the Heavens above them look like a violent cyclone of darkness and light. The feeling of the familiar ki made her fall to her knees.

Soon afterwards, another one followed. She looked up and saw a figure stepping out from the chaos of light. Her heart skipped a beat as the feeling of excitement swelled inside her. The magician beside her shut the portal abruptly then fell next to her in a mixture of exhaustion and reverence. She lowered her eyes and shared a secret smile with the slightly boyish face beside her. At the approach of the summoned, she quickly lowered her face again. An ivory hand raised her head making her look up.

"You have done well," he told her. "You may rise."

She quickly obeyed and saw how her master called the mage beside her to his feet. They both bowed again to the two porcelain-looking figures before them.

"My lords," she said. "A lot has happened since you were both gone."

"We know," the other said. "You must tell us."

"And," the first added. "Tell me what has become of our friends on Earth in our time of absence."

She sneered. "What we know may be to your liking, lord."

A smirk broke across the blood red lips of her master. "Do tell."