Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Retaliation; the Trouble Inside ❯ Royal Battle ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Trouble Inside
Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon ball Z or GT. Z was created by Akira Toriyama, and both are owned by Toei animation Co, Shuisha Bird studios. This is fan fiction, and I make no money from writing this story.
My apologies to all for taking so long for this update!
***
Son Goku felt the last shreds of his energy evaporating away like snow on a hot driveway. Indeed Gohan had reached for those untapped potentials, his full force unlocked and channeled into that double sundae. The greater Gohan's anger, the greater his rise in power would be. Raditz was exploiting that to its ultimate end.
“Gohan, I'm sorry,” the warrior croaked to his son.
“Enough, you weakling. This is for the torment you put me through in HELL. DIE brother!” Raditz snarled through Gohan's voice. With a last push of strength the beam shoved against Goku's times 10 kamehameha. Something snapped, exploding into Goku's face blinding him. Sight and sound were denied Goku as he slipped into a deep dark well.
Only the pain of crashing into a bed of earth stopped the pain in his body and in his heart. He had failed to protect those he loved most. Now he had to leave Earth's fate in the hands of those he had trained. The last sight Goku's gold eyes peered up into was the fierce leer of Gohan landing. A scar crossed his face, giving him a haggard and evil appearance that stunned Goku even more.
“Die,” Gohan sneered. His hand rose, and then everything went black.
Something ripped through Raditz that second. A burst of something hot and fierce driving a spike through his heart. His limbs felt heavy with lead and he dropped to his knees. Inside his mind a voice whispered to slow prominence. Reality blurred out, replaced with a cloudy darkness thick and tangible. It tugged at Raditz spectrally at first, only to form hands that seized him with viselike fingers. Around his tail, wrists and ankles the darkness formed tentacles restraining his movement.
“Are you happy now, Raditz? You've killed him. The balance is even,” Gohan answered. Pressing his hands to his head, Gohan moaned. Now he willed the iron force of his own quiet soul. Here and now he would fight another battle on an astral plane. Raditz had no idea what he was up against.
“Shut up. You can't know what it's like!” Raditz hollered though his words were denied voice through the voice box of his nephew. Straining, Raditz struggled to will his body to the immediate reality of the battle around him, yet he failed to move from Gohan's mind.
“I do. More then you realize, Raditz. That anger and pain you tapped into wasn't just yours, it was mine. Yes, can you believe I hated my father at one point?” Gohan laughed, echoing in the darkness as Raditz soul shivered in fear. Desperately Gohan's uncle's spirit wrenched, kicked and hissed. Snakelike he forced his thoughts to move muscles, only to have Gohan's own thought impulses block them. Around the image of Raditz in his mind, Gohan squeezed dark clouds to seal him off as the body walls off a foreign invader. While Gohan could not expel Raditz he could at least trap him in his consciousness, and prevent his uncle's spirit from moving into the parts of his brain that controlled his body.
“You won't win!” Raditz howled, the astral image of him blazing with ki. Unfortunately the more energy he expended the more it seemed as if the darkness swallowed it.
“I wouldn't struggle so hard if I were you. You're trapped Raditz. Admit it. The more you fight me, the more I'll hold onto you. You're in my imagination, and if there's one thing that I've always excelled at its knowledge itself,” Gohan laughed sadly.
“You forget Saiyans can fight astrally as warriors born,” Raditz answered, shouting into the darkness that still lashed out tendrils to confine his waist. He was yanked down onto his back, hitting a hard cold surface that formed into something like stone.
Face it Raditz. I already HAVE stopped you,” Gohan laughed sadly. “You don't realize it. And you won't ever escape.”
“What madness is this?”
“You've dug your own prison. Now you'll see firsthand your own plans defeated,” Gohan answered. “I can't let you win.”
“Words, just WORDS!” Raditz yelled. “You cannot send me away. I will haunt you for eternity!!!”
“Hatred is strong Raditz. I cannot forgive you for what you've done, but I can understand at long last. And through that understanding you will not be banished to oblivion,” Gohan warned.
“What madness is this?”
“I accept your need to have a holding in this world. So you'll get your wish, Raditz. But you won't be able to do anything but watch as you live the rest of your life in this body,” Gohan answered, standing up straight and tall in the physical world.
“No!” Raditz gasped. Around him the tentacles of shadow formed into chains that now fettered each limb. He was imprisoned on his back pressed to cold aching hardness, his soul unable to move. A slight distance away from him the darkness opened a square of blinding light. Images pixilated rapidly, forming into a view of the outside world. From the distance he could see the haze lifting, to reveal a gleaming bright place. Geometric shapes and equations whirled like birds circling above, while snatches of memory and laughter echoed. What he now perceived was the strength of Gohan's own mind and thoughts whirling around him full force, and he was merely a spectator.
“Be alive Raditz, as a spectator. And see a life of kindness and love,” Gohan said softly with a smile on his face.
“No… please…” Raditz voice dropped to pleading. “You can't do this!”
“I can and I have Raditz. I will let you live in me but only as one watching from afar. Otherwise you will leave me now,” Gohan answered.
“This is HELL!” Raditz howled against the onslaught of Gohan's memories and thoughts whispering around him. More images of Gohan's life filled the once dark place, shining and glittering with love and happiness through the sorrow.
“Maybe. But perhaps your soul will learn better that way. That hatred is not the answer,” Gohan continued, rubbing his aching forehead. Leaning down he saw the body of his brother slowly stirring. Gently he pressed two fingers to Goten's neck and nodded. His brother was alive. Son Goku had not come close to killing him.
Then he turned to his father. Battered and bruised, Goku lay twisted on one side, his SS4 form vanished. Leaning down Gohan caressed his father's cheek. “I'm sorry Father. It was the only way. You'll understand why.”
A weak groan came from Goku's lips. Still blind he blinked sightless eyes up. “G…Gohan is that you?”
“Quiet now. Just lay still,” Gohan answered, crouching by Goku's battered body.
“You… is that you?”
“What does your heart tell you, Father?” Gohan asked.
“It tells me to trust you,” Goku answered. “Go do what you have to, Gohan. Don't worry about me. My part's done for now.”
“I'll see you, Father,” Gohan said softly, leaning down to embrace his father gently. Turning to Goten, he carefully picked up his brother as the boy struggled to regain consciousness.
Pride filled Goku's heart as he saw his son blast off. In great pain Goku lay back, his eyes closed while his body slowly repaired itself. Gohan had done what he had anticipated. Although his bones were shattered they were slowly knitting back together. Well he understood things, Goku realized. In hours Son Goku would be that much stronger from his brush with death.
***
Goten found himself being carried. Slowly he swam to consciousness and blinked up into the face of his brother. Gohan set him down gently on a bed of grass and knelt at a cautious distance. As Goten swam to consciousness he heard a loud shout of alarm. The sweet high voice of Bra filled his ears, merging with that of Gohan.
“Gohan, what happened?” Bra cried.
“We need to help Goten. He's in a bad way,” Gohan answered. “Do you have your car?”
“Yes but…”
“We need to treat Goten's injuries. It's not safe to move him to Capsule…”
“I'll do it,” Bra said. “He can stay here in the summer house. There's medical equipment and I can treat him till he's stable enough so I can drive him to Capsule!”
“It might be dangerous. Goten isn't himself,” said Gohan.
“That doesn't matter. I can handle him,” Bra laughed lightly. “Papa's been training me.”
“Just to be safe,” Gohan answered. “I'm getting him into the lab first. There's something we need to do.”
Goten felt the motion of his brother again picking him up. He smelled the sweet scent of Bra's perfume and her feminine Saiyan aura. His heart sped up and skipped beats sensing her near. A cool hand pressed to his cheek, lightly caressing it. Gohan's steps were measured and steady as he heard the transition of them from the lawn to a hard floor. Echoes around him and the slam of a door told Goten they were inside a building.
“Mom has a lab here in the basement, if that's what you're looking for, Gohan,” Bra said voice tinged with worry.
“Good thinking,” Gohan said, voice filled with something resembling pride. Goten willed himself to lie still, squeezing his eyes shut. Then he felt his body lowered to something flat but comfortable. Hands untied and removed his shoes, and loosened his collar and tight clothing fastenings. Then something sharp was pressed into his upper arm and he felt his muscles go rigid.
“That's it. It'll give me enough time to rig something together to keep him under control,” Gohan answered. “Then we can keep him here and you can stay with him while he heals. That gives me enough time to get Father and get him back to Capsule. He's in much worse shape than Goten.”
“Why? What happened to your dad?”
“Why do you think, Bra? Goten's been overcome by something. Just like Trunks was… and he hurt our father badly. Dad couldn't fight him at his full potential and Goten exploited that weakness. As bad as Goten is, my Dad's almost dying. He begged me to take Goten to a safe place before he'll let me come and get him. And he can't concentrate to use Instant Transmission.”
“You mean Goku's… oh no! But what should I do?”
“I need you to watch over him till he's well enough to take to Capsule. There your mom and you can treat him. But he can't be allowed to speak or try and convince you otherwise,” said Gohan.
“I'm not a weakling! Just cause I'm a girl doesn't mean,” Bra started.
“You're not an experienced fighter like Pan,” Gohan cut her off.
“Hell yes I'm not like her, but still don't you dare say that...”
“I wouldn't dream of it. I got enough of a beating from little brother as it is. I'm not used to fighting so much,” Gohan answered. “And it's time that I changed that.”
“Gohan, where's your dad?”
“I… I had no choice, Bra. He's… I had to leave him behind,” Gohan answered.
“What?” Bra's voice escalated to a near scream.
“Bra please,” Gohan hushed her. The sounds of fizzling and a smell of charring plastic and metal filled Goten's nostrils. Then soft small sounds of things being brought together and the thump of Gohan's weighted fighting boots on the floor explained the story. Obviously his brother was building something.
“Gohan, what happened? What did you do?”
“He was trying to kill Goten. I had to stop him,” said Gohan.
“What you don't mean GOKU was possessed!” Bra gasped.
“I don't know enough to jump to any conclusions. But I do know that Uub was knocked out, and the way Goten was acting was irrational. Not to mention the way dad was acting. So I had to take him out… as quickly and painlessly as I could,” said Gohan.
“But you can't be serious! How do I know you're not affected too?” Bra wailed.
“I'm not, you'll have to trust me,” Gohan answered, his voice cold.
“Bra,” whispered Goten as he blinked. Something dark fell over him and he felt cold metal clicking around his wrists and ankles. Something buzzed and crackled around him, charging the air with ozone. His muscles twitched as he squirmed and tossed his head.
“You sound so heartless; it's your own brother and father!” Bra shouted.
“Please Bra… you know I can bring my father back with the dragon balls!” Gohan hissed.
“But… but…”
“He should be unable to move with the ki restraints. Now I can get Dad back to Capsule, and have just enough time to stop your father from killing your brother,” said Gohan.
“WHAT? NO….”
“Bra, don't worry, I'll do my best to stop them,” said Gohan. “But you can't help by wanting to tag along. I have to do this alone.”
“You can't be serious!” Bra yelled.
“I'm sorry, please just do as I say,” Gohan answered, pleading in his voice. “Your mother would understand…”
“I'm calling her RIGHT now then, because I can't believe what I'm hearing!!! You'd better get your butt over and stop Dad and Trunks if what you say is true! I'll call Mom and she can send someone to help Goku!”
“Good thinking Bra. That will give me enough time to save your father and brother. I have to go now, Bra. Please just take care of Goten,” Gohan answered. “I can't…”
“You're not going to hurt Daddy or Trunks are you?” Bra asked suspiciously.
“Not if I can help it,” Gohan's faint answer echoed. Then a door slammed and he heard the percussive click of Bra's stiletto heels on the lab floor. The musical chime of a cell phone opening followed it and the clicking beep of her thump punching keys.
“Mommy? Thank Kami! Mommy I don't' know what to do! You have to send someone to find Goku and bring him back! He's almost dead! And Gohan's gone to fight Daddy and Trunks! What's going on?” Bra chattered anxiously as Goten slowly blinked open his eyes to focus on her. She stood with her back to him, and he saw the curve of her body pleasing and graceful to his eyes.
“Stay there, sweetie! I'll call Gohan and tell him that I'm sending someone to get Goku. You just stay with Goten for now!” Bulma instructed.
***
Gohan's blue ki surged brightly, blazing its own trail desperately towards where he sensed the ki of Vegeta and Trunks. Narrowing his perceptions to the limit he then discerned the flagging ebbs of them. They were rapidly dwindling, telling Gohan that the battle was going for the worse. As the region of ruined ground came into view he saw two figures wrestling and volleying bolts of energy. No longer were they flying, but simply beating on one another with their bare hands, or gloves. Two suits of armor were cracked and broken, gloves and spandex torn as Vegeta punched Trunks.
Trunks body exploded with a sphere of power, flinging Vegeta into a far wall. Then he pounced on his fallen father with a loud cry. Biting his lip, Gohan swooped down. Just as Trunks reached for Vegeta's battered form Gohan's fist intercepted it.
“ENOUGH!” Gohan shouted. Trunks crumpled to the ground, a bruise forming from where Gohan's fist had hit.
“Don't you interfere, you fool!” Trunks gritted struggling to his feet.
“That's enough. He's half DEAD!” Gohan pointed to Vegeta, who was drawing in raspy breaths.
“This is not your concern, brat!” Trunks answered harshly. Gohan could swear the life force was wrong.
“I don't know what the hell you two have going but it ends NOW!” Gohan shouted, his ki flaring blue.
“So be it, fool. Interrupt at your peril!” Trunks snarled, his own ki flaring as his body surged into ss2.
“You can't win, Trunks. You're not strong enough,” Gohan cautioned, dodging a blow hurled his way. Trunks shot out with the flat of one hand, then slammed his glowing fist right into Gohan's face. However Gohan caught the wrist, and twisted around, hurling Trunks over his head.
Slowly, shakily Vegeta pressed gloved hands to the ground and shakily tottered to his knees. “No… how dare you stop me… whoever you are!” he rasped. Clenching his fist, he generated a blue glow to his hand.
Gohan's head darted back to the direction of the Saiyan Prince. Something in the way he formed his words sounded like his Prince, yet the angered tone tinged with surprise suggested otherwise. As if Vegeta had no clue who he was for he did not call Gohan by name. Although he turned, a second later a ki ball exploded in his face, knocking him off balance enough. Vegeta staggered forwards, holding his hand up in a familiar pose. Still his hair glistened gold from Super Saiyan energies, despite the haggard look of exhaustion in the teal eyes.
“You… how DARE you interfere!” Vegeta repeated.
“Damn it,” Gohan sighed. He raised his hand to deflect the next blast, realizing the Saiyan Prince still had fight in him.
Still fresh, Gohan turned partly around with an upraised to block any attack from the fallen Trunks. Gohan's friend did not carry himself in a familiar manner as he struggled to stand, snarling through clenched teeth. For a second in shadow Gohan could see what appeared to be Vegeta's features superimposed on him. Blinking, Goku's elder son wondered how he'd seen that. He presumed that only Uub could perceive spirits possessing others. The sizzling crash of Vegeta's second ki ball deflected from his hand, but his temporary gaze snapping towards the Prince indicated something else. For an instant he swore Vegeta stood much taller, with an imperial beard covering his chin and a mustache on his upper lip. Vegeta had shaved any such moustache off a while ago when Bra had informed him how stupid it looked.
“You can see them too,” whispered a familiar voice in Gohan's head. He recognized it as the Supreme Kai.
“You… have you been watching all this?” Gohan asked. He formed words carefully in his mind as Piccolo had taught him years ago in the desert.
“Blast you, fall!” Vegeta hollered, hurling more ki blasts towards him. Reflexively Gohan batted them off, but a few lucky shots crashed into him, knocking him over.
The mystic warrior landed on one knee, repelling the next volley with both hands. Again he sensed the alien presence, realizing Vegeta's eyes did not recognize him. Inside his mind the Supreme Kai's voice telepathed, “Yes. You need to stop them now before they kill one another.”
“No fear of that. They're almost too weak to stand,” said Gohan sadly. Trunks staggered, holding his stomach as he limped with one upraised hand.
“Can't let you interfere,” he grunted. His fingers glowed blue, then gold. Gohan barely noticed till he saw the blast out of the corner of his eye.
“That we agree on!” Vegeta chorused, his own hands cupping together. A large ki ball fizzled into life, growing in intensity. Simultaneously he unleashed it. Both missiles crashed towards Gohan, who barely raised his hands to deflect both blasts.
“Gohan, look out!” shouted a voice from above. Someone dropped between him and Trunks, suddenly deflecting the blast leashed on him. Another figure stood near him, at waist height hurling a blast to intercept the one that Vegeta tossed towards him. When his vision cleared of the huge flash he saw Pan standing between him and the Saiyan prince, while Uub covered Trunks.
“You two, what are you doing here?” Gohan asked.
Hands cupped over one shoulder, Trunks snarled, “GALLIC GUN!” Lighting cascaded from around him, channeling down his arms into a scarlet beam.
“Wait, its Vegeta!” Uub gasped, dodging out of the way.
“Saving your butt dad, what else?” Pan chimed in.
“Gohan, they're not themselves,” said Uub. A second later he shouted, “KAMEHAMEHA!”
The resulting blue blast surged from his cupped hands, zinging past Trunks. Snarling Trunks uttered, “I don't need your stinking help! Get out of here!”
“I know, I can see,” Gohan narrowed his eyes.
“You can?” asked Uub.
“Begone!” howled Vegeta, bringing his hands together. A bright sphere formed, hurtling towards the three fighters.
“Think fast!” Pan shouted. Gohan shoved her down as he swung a punch over her head, knocking Vegeta's fist out of the way.
“Pan, get out of here! It's too dangerous!” Gohan shouted.
“But Dad…” she protested.
“Gohan, get the brat out of here now!” Trunks shouted, dodging Uub's flurry of fists. “This is not your affair!”
“Sorry Vegeta, I can't!” Gohan answered, realizing that it was Vegeta's soul speaking through his friend's mouth.
“Dad, be careful!” Pan yelled, whirling her arms in quick circles. Kiko ha blasts fanned out, only to be dodged by both Vegeta and Trunks zigzagging towards them.
“Gohan, let's trade!” Uub barked.
“Fine by me,” Gohan said. “Either way we have to stop this! Pan, cover me!”
Another blast slammed past them, and Pan dove to the left. Uub's leg shot out in a kick, slamming into Vegeta's gut. The Prince flew back, crashing into a ruined building. Pan dodged the falling rubble as sage watched her father facing off against Trunks.
“Sorry Trunks, this is for your own good,” Gohan sighed. Throwing back his fist he slammed it into Trunks jaw. The youth crumpled into Gohan's arms, and the warrior sighed as he gathered Trunks into his arms.
Meanwhile, Uub rocketed around the shattered rubble pile. Pan orbited the opposite way, guessing that her companion was anticipating Vegeta's next move. At the last minute pieces of it exploded as the Saiyan Prince surfaced, roaring loudly. His hands were thrown out at the level of his head, blue lightening crackling over his body.
“NOW!” shouted Uub, cupping his hands at his waist. Pan nodded, doing the same. Together they surged with blue light, their voices chorusing, “KA… mee…”
“You will DIE for interfering!” Vegeta vowed, though it was clear to all of them it was the long dead King of Vegetasei that inhabited the Prince's body. “Victory… FIRE!”
“HA ME HA!” Uub yelled. A fraction of an instant later Pan did the same, her beam sizzling at a 45 degree angle to Uub's position. Both blue rays slammed into Vegeta before he could finish his own attack. Propelled backwards, his ki sphere shot up towards the heavens and disappeared harmlessly. Pan and Uub ceased their beams when Vegeta crashed into another heap of rubble.
“Well done,” Gohan said as he looked at the two young warriors panting, their hands still posed in the final pose of his father's signature attack.
“He's down. But not dead,” Uub announced.
“Who is that?” Pan asked.
“The King of Vegetasei,” Uub answered.
“Oh,” Pan shivered, hugging herself.
“Uub, go and get him. I'll carry Trunks. Pan, you follow and keep your senses glued if either one of them so much as blinks,” Gohan ordered. His daughter nodded.
Uub strode through the ruined bits of city, his feet crunching road and dust under. Pan moved to help shift away rocks while Goku's student dug towards where Vegeta lay. Hearing a faint rasp he sensed the low ebb of the Prince's life force and the absence of whatever spirit that had alighted upon him. For some reason knocking the body unconscious cancelled the hold. Or rather prevented those able to see such spirits from knowing if they were still present. Carefully the young warrior hefted Vegeta over his shoulders in a fireman carry.
“Let's go back to Capsule, shall we?” Gohan asked, slinging Trunks over his shoulders.
“Are you sure Dad?” asked Pan, wincing slightly to see Trunks so helpless. Still she shivered because the mere sight of him evoked unpleasant memories.
“Yes. Remember Bulma had a special regeneration tank to hold Trunks? I would imagine she build more than one of them,” Gohan nodded.
“Right,” Uub said. “But is Goku…”
“What happened to Grandpa?” Pan inhaled sharply.
“He'll be all right, I hope,” Gohan said quickly. Pan opened her mouth to protest, but Uub raised a free hand. “It'll be okay Pan, I know it will,” he answered.
“I hope so… but still…”
“Trust me Pan,” Gohan said. Pan felt an odd sense of relief to see the look of warmth in her father's eyes. Gone was that strange growling undertone to his voice. Three ki s blazed like trinary stars and the warriors streaked off towards West City in the gloom of the oncoming night. The blood red disc of the setting sun descended in strips through the red haze of battle thrown up.