Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Son Goku in Summation ❯ The Orphan Boy Who Changed My Life - Bulma ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
You know, it’s funny. I always did like to think of myself as the brains of our little outfit. Oolong was the pervert, Goku was the dim-witted muscles, and I was the gorgeous scientist who kept our whole party together through my clever incisiveness. Frustratingly, though, as time went on I could see that he usually had his head on straight in situations that had me screaming my head off and running around in circles.

I mean, when you really think about it - who was the smart one when it came to making decisions? Well, I guess I’m pretty well-off, and I’m certainly happy with my life, but it took me a lot longer to get there, and it definitely wasn’t a stress-free ride, I’ll tell you that much. When I was old enough to start looking for a man, I immediately set out to get one. I used my brains to create a device to help me find the dragonballs, and I was certain that I would accomplish my goal. But my confidence more often than not proved to be my downfall. I would lead us into trouble over selfish things, and I would expect Goku to get us out of the situation. And he always did.

So, when it came to being happy in a relationship, I started early and finished late, all because of my high-strung temperance. What about Goku? Oh, he just had to live his life and eventually a wonderful woman named Chi Chi showed up and took care of him for the rest of his life. How convenient.

I guess you could say I was a little jealous. In fact, I might even be still, to this day. Goku’s always had it easy. He never had to go to school, or get a job, or try out the dating scene…he was charmed from day one. I guess when your whole species goes kablowie you tend to end up with some excess good karma.

But then again, who am I to complain about living a charmed life? I was practically born with a silver spoon in my own mouth. The only thing I had to worry about was boys. And worry I did. Constantly. They were the only thing on my mind when I wasn’t engineering the next technological wonder of the world. I suppose if I hadn’t been so preoccupied with getting a boyfriend, I would have had the time to worry about the welfare of the little tyke I had taken in. I practically adopted Goku and to this day I do not remember ever giving it a second thought. People might wonder how I took on the challenge of raising a little boy all on my own when Vegeta practically abandoned Trunks and me, but they forget - it wasn’t my first time. Granted, I wasn’t changing diapers back then, but it certainly wasn’t a walk in the park.

The fact that I took care (emotionally more so than physically, considering he didn’t need much help in that department) of Goku since he was a little guy, I suppose that might have been the reason I was so apt to ignoring my feelings of attraction for him. He had been like a brother to me since the moment we met, so when he showed up at the 23rd world martial arts tournament after we hadn’t seen him for years looking very…developed…well, I can’t deny that some sparks didn’t fly. At least, for me. Something that was inherently attractive about him (as much as I hated it) was that he was obviously not in the least bit attracted to me. By that time, I was old enough and experienced enough to know that I was not the kind of girl boys walk by without taking a second look. So the fact that Goku treated me as one of the guys was both infuriating to me, and in a way, refreshing. Yamcha certainly didn’t pay me that kind of respect. Or…well…obliviousness. I like to think of it as respect.

So, yes, I have had feelings of attraction for Son Goku. It’s somewhat hard not to. But of course, it was nothing more than a silly little crush. The crush slowly melted into a glowing adoration for the man we all loved, as I had always suspected it would.

I was genuinely happy that he and Chi Chi found each other. Especially since that meant that I didn’t have to worry about him being taken care of anymore. Yes, I know, it was silly of me to think that he couldn’t take care of himself. He’s always been completely capable of feeding and clothing and defending himself. Still, I can’t say that I didn’t worry about him when he was gone for all those years training. So it was nice to know that his life from then on out would be grounded. Or at least, I had thought it would be.

Which brings me to the part where we all found out he was an alien. It was an Earth-shatteringly huge revelation, yes, but at the same time, it explained so much about him that we had all always wondered that it didn’t actually seem to be that much of a stretch. He had obviously always been different in mind and body than the rest of us. So it seemed fitting, in a really weird sort of way. I suppose that’s why we all adapted to the idea so quickly without a second thought. It seemed almost natural.

So, I don’t really need to explain what happened after that. There were battles won and lost and bad guys thwarted and new friends met, but the most important thing I think Son Goku ever did for me was bring me a husband.

We were both reluctant. We were both stubborn. And that’s what made us so perfect. Once, in the darkness of the night and the safety of our bedroom, Vegeta admitted to me that he was grateful for the “clown”. He said that without Goku (or “Kakarot“, as his likes to call him - which I think is adorable, but could never point out to him) he would never have learned to do the most important thing he had done in his life; He had learned how to love me.

That night, I cried, and I thanked Kami for sending me such a wonderful friend.