Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Blues for Raditz and Goku ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Friday, December 29, 2006
Father Son Bonding
By Trynia Merin
Genre: Spiritual/Romance/Drama
Pairing: Raditz/ OC
Rating: PG for language/some mature themes
Disclaimer: I don't own the Manga or the Anime Dragon Ball Z. Toriyama does. I make no money from writing this story and my character Dr. Stellari, Fermi and Bohr mean no harm to the series.
**
Just how long she had remained in his mind neither knew. Yet the darkness was slowly lightening to a more tolerable grey overhead. Eventually the clouds drew back, bathing both Raditz and Stellari in blinding twin radiance. Around them rose the spires and sand dunes of fiery red. Overhead in the brassy sky the twin suns of Planet Vegeta burned casting four shadows; two for Raditz and two for Stellari.
It was obvious to her that his mind was accepting her offer. Just by the pleasantness of the mental landscape she could judge his mood had lifted. Still some uncertainty wavered. If he could just keep Vegetasei as his mental courtyard it would be far healthier then that angry foggy morass on a dark stormy plane. From mental bonding she knew that everyone had different dream language. Whenever a telepath would enter another's thoughts they would arrive at a sort of `reception point' where the recipient would create to receive foreign thoughts and astral visitors not their own. Raditz had closed his mind off for so long that he was unaccustomed to showing anything but a fierce brash landscape that exemplified a hard cold Saiyan warrior.
"I do love you, Raditz," Stellari whispered, drawing back from the kiss. "Let me show you how…"
"I've done far too much Woman," he said quietly. His hands trembled in her grasp.
"So what? Vegetasei is no more. Let those parts of you go and embrace what this world has to offer. Kakkarot… Goku did. This is a blank slate," she said.
"How can I, woman?"
"The disciples of Jesus were not the cream of humanity's crop. St. Paul who wrote the epistles of the New Testament was a persecutor and murderer of early Christians. But he became the greatest instrument of God's word. St. Peter denied Christ and yet he helped spread the message as much as anyone else did. St. Matthew was a tax collector…" she went on to explain.
"Still…"
"Moses was raised as a Prince of Egypt, a land that enslaved many Jews… the people in the Old Testament," she continued. "He murdered a man and ran away. He was the last person to be expected to lead his people from slavery. But God chose him with all his faults."
"These humans are hardly like me," said Raditz.
"Cain, the first son of Adam and Eve was a murderer who killed his OWN Brother," said Stellari, seizing the sides of Raditz's face. "He fled from God. But God didn't kill him. He put a mark on him and gave him a land and place of his own to live. Even for him there was a part in the plan."
"Cain was the older brother," Raditz shivered.
"Yes. He was jealous because he felt God had rejected his offering. He slew Abel. His YOUNGER brother. God didn't kill him. He protected him. There are so many instances where those who have murdered have repented," she urged.
"I exterminated civilizations, woman," Raditz whispered softly.
"The Jews and Christians killed many in the name of God," she answered reluctantly. "My ancestors the Romans were much like you Saiyans like you said so often. But even my people learned and became Christian. Constantine was a conqueror who legalized Christianity. I could give many examples. But the choice is yours."
"Woman," Raditz whispered, tears forming in his eyes. She leaned up to kiss them away.
"Your prince found love," said Stellari. "And your own brother forgave you. Why can't you forgive yourself?"
"I don't know," said Raditz.
"Shh," she whispered. Raditz crushed her to him, seeking her lips with his own. She rocked him in her arms, not breaking their embrace.
“I'm waking up,” Raditz said softly. “And you are too. I think we should both open our eyes.”
***
Slowly she blinked open her eyes to find light and space not formed from thoughts and memories. Every item and shadow was composed of matter. As wide awake and vivid the experiences had felt to her in Raditz mind bond they were ten times more intense.
Her breath heaved in and out with fast pulses while her heard pounded. Underneath she felt a hard male pelvis and incredibly taut thighs. Her soft belly pressed against washboard abs that would put a Mr. Universe to shame. Both small hands pushed up from the flat surface of his pectorals to see Raditz dark eyes blinking open to hers. His graceful black brows furrowed in a frown common to most Saiyans. Yet she knew it was not irritation when the eyes widened to show that their shape was in fact much more closely a match to Son Goku's.
"Stellari," Raditz coughed, glancing up at her. His large muscular arms wrapped around her binding her like bands of steel to his body.
"Good Grief, where… what… how long," she panted. Underneath Raditz were the bowed cushions of a futon. Peering over her shoulder she saw a blanket drawn up to her hips. Down her bare alabaster back spilled shoulder length brown hair highlighted with red in the morning sun. Round patterns cast on the wall were segmented by a Chinese square design, and the closeness of the small cabin they inhabited stunned her.
"Stellari," he purred, leaning up to kiss her. Not protesting the kiss she let Raditz bend her lips down to touch his.
"Mmm, was I really in your mind, it seems so real and yet so surreal," she mumbled, panting from the deep kiss she now surfaced from. It dawned on her why she was balanced atop Raditz muscular body, because there was little clearance on either side of the futon thanks to the wide Saiyan shoulders and chest that dominated it. Peering past the silk curtains of the futon alcove she saw the vases and other items of the cabin blurry.
"Kakkarot… I mean Goku's childhood den," Raditz muttered in response to her squinting. "He recommended you and I should remain alone here."
"Where's Goku and Chichi?" she asked.
"The green man took Gohan and the twins training," Raditz said. "For a whole week. Do you not remember agreeing to this arrangement?"
A loud squalling cry broke the tranquility, and Raditz groaned as Stellari blinked hard. She climbed off the hips she straddled and stumbled with the lone blanket hitched around her body to leave Raditz in only the plaid pajama bottoms he had borrowed from his little brother. Cussing in Saiyan, Raditz swung his long legs, which were cramped, from the small futon to plant on the cold stone floor.
"Woman, wait, I'll assist you," he muttered, rising to stretch as she answered twin cries. In the borrowed crib he saw her lean over to grab one bundle. He soon marched over and lifted the other out to hold up and try and quiet.
"I've got extra milk over there," she muttered, placing Radzia at her breast while Raditz fumbled around towards the fridge placed in the 'kitchen' area of the cabin. Just whose idea to stay here seemed idiotic at first, but he had to admit it was nice not to have everyone else underfoot while trying to care for two Saiyan brats twenty four seven.
"Hush young warrior, stop crying," Raditz mumbled as he held Planck up and then swung him much as he had seen Goku do. Finally he settled the young Saiyan boy into his arm, and grabbed the bottle out of the fridge of Stellari's breast milk. Chichi's insistence on the breast pump had been wise because they could both feed at any time. Not to mention the pureed raw hamburger that had been sitting in the top for the last hour.
Planck's dark brown eyes gazed up at his, and Raditz blinked down. The youth grabbed a lock of his hair, and his fluffy brown tail twined around Raditz muscular forearm. For a moment he wondered if his father Bardock had ever held him thus. Stellari sat down in a large Chinese chair and held Radzia, trying to position the long raven locks out of her face. It stunned her to see two babies with such an abundance of hair.
"They look so… so…"
"Saiyan?" Raditz said with a hint of male pride. He sat down on the futon, and enticed Planck to suckle at the bottle.
"The hair looks like yours and Goku's. I thought they'd be more like Gohan," she said.
"It seems that the Saiyan genes are dominant. Not all Saiyans are born with tails or such hair," Raditz said quietly. "If their mothers are not Saiyan."
"I didn't think there were many," she said.
"Nappa has had several children by pleasure slaves. Most of them lived on Idsarsei. Remember that's where Chablis…"
"How can I forget," she groaned. "At least I don't have to walk halfway across a hall for these two angels."
"Angels?"
"Well, they're so… perfect," she whispered quietly.
"Hmm," Raditz murmured, watching the slow draining of the bottle while Stellari nursed the girl. They took turns, sometimes Planck nursing from the breast, or Radzia. The shape of Planck's face seemed halfway between Goku's and Raditz, and his hair was not quite the shape of Goku's but was shorter and spikier with that inevitable lock curling down over his face. In some ways he had the swarthy skin of Bardock, whereas Radzia favored Raditz in most ways save that she was female.
Much like his mother Kinoha she looked. Both had few traces of any Human blood. His father Bardock would be most proud if he were here, Raditz thought.
"Really?" Stellari asked.
Raditz nodded, his thoughts clearly broadcasting. Stellari felt the strangeness of such bond openness frightening. Only her sons and she shared such a close connection.
"The wall between our minds no longer exists save that which we erect ourselves," Raditz reminded her. "You and I choose how much to share."
"Or you're letting me fully in," she reminded him.
"I should have gotten more food," she lamented, feeling weary.
Just then Raditz blinked and snarled. Someone knocked at the door, and Raditz rolled his eyes, shaking his head when Stellari looked at him with confusion. She really needed to learn ki sensing. Yet the beeping of the scouter adhered to her robe's hip told her it was a powerful energy just outside.
"Remain here," Raditz said, lifting his son and crossing the cabin in a few strides. He opened the door and saw the cheerfully smiling face of Goku standing there next to an equally cheerful looking Chichi.
"Surprise, hope we aren't interrupting anything," Goku said.
"At least you remembered to knock," Chichi said. "We aren't interrupting are we?"
"Come in," Raditz said, feeling relief to see that both were carrying what appeared to be bundles of food.
"You guys settled in pretty good, I see," Goku said.
"Goku, what WERE you thinking! That futon's not nearly big enough for two people!" Chichi groused when she saw the telltale ruffled bedclothes strewn. Wandering in she saw Stellari sitting in the chair.
"Need me to take over?" Goku asked Raditz. He reached out his hands and gratefully Raditz passed his son over to his younger brother.
"You can just in time," Raditz muttered, rubbing his eyes. "We ran out of food."
"Don't worry dear; we've got breakfast for you both. Goku just remembered he had forgotten to stock the place with enough goods, and I insisted that you two might need a babysitter so you can get some rest. Piccolo's just dropped the twins off at Pop's house so he can go android hunting with Krillen. They should be safe there," Chichi said as she strode up to a weary Stellari.
"Thank you, I haven't been able to think past feeding these two," she laughed with relief.
"Well, our pleasure. You sure you both don't want to come back to the house with us?" Chichi asked.
"I didn't wish to impose. After all you and your mate have not been alone for most of the time," said Raditz.
"WE DID get some quality time together," said Goku. "Uh is that right Chichi?"
"The house isn't the same without kids. And you were both so sweet to let us be alone for the weekend, it's the least we can do to return the favor," said Chichi. She referred to the big argument she and Goku had that sent Raditz and Stellari conspiring with Gohan to figure out how to get the two to makeup.
Gohan remembered it was his parents wedding anniversary, and Goku had forgotten. Raditz decided to prevail on Piccolo's desire to train Gohan privately. Fortunately the Namek also agreed to take on training the twins. Raditz and Stellari needed to get used to having the babies around them constantly, and although the twins were much help, it was easier to have the twins gone part of the time that first week. Not to mention they had chosen to stay in Goku's cabin to get out of Chichi and Goku's hair so the couple could sort their differences out. Ox King's home was a good place for Gohan and the twins to spend most of the time when they weren't training with Piccolo. Capsule was still not considered a safe place to keep Stellari because of the Android's desire to capture her or her sons.
Remaining around Goku was the best option Vegeta had decided. As Goku recovered from the heart virus, he and Trunks had tried to chase down the androids. 15 and 14 had been destroyed easily with a combined assault between Trunks, Vegeta, Nappa, Bliss and Bulma. Neither had a chance in hell it seemed. Then things had gone disturbingly quiet. The twin terrors of 18 and 17 had still been hard to pin down. Krillen, Tien and Yamcha were checking out that lead. But Yamcha and Tien were still nowhere to be found. And 18 and 17 had mysteriously vanished.
Word had it when they examined Dr. Gero's data banks that they had been deactivated. But Trunks was certain there was something else they were overlooking. None of them were supposed to have come to life so early. There was still one year to pass before their first sighting. What had gone wrong?
"Don't worry, they'll be safe with Pop," said Chichi.
"That's not what gets me. 17 and 18 and 16 are still out there, and Krillen said he'd seen them. But now no word," said Stellari. "I can't help but wonder if they'd been deactivated and put on ice."
"Bulma says she's checked out all the places you and Chablis remember," said Goku.
"Indeed. And the Prince says that 14 and 15 have been utterly destroyed. Nappa and he have been searching. As well as the Green man, I mean Piccolo," said Raditz. The two couples sat opposite each other in Goku's childhood home in mutual worry. Silence was welcome, but none of them liked not knowing the enemy could strike at any moment.
“Why don't we all go out for a picnic,” Chichi said. They all snapped their heads to look at her cheerful face framed by black locks.
“A picnic? But it's been ages since we did one,” Goku said.
“Exactly,” said Chichi with a grin. “And we can take the whole family!”
“All right,” Stellari nodded, brightening up.
“We need to enjoy ourselves a little,” Goku agreed with a grin on his young face. “Why not?”
“But the Androids,” said Raditz, holding his child close.
“We can't let them ruin this,” Chichi said firmly. “I won't have my family living in terror!”
“I guess we could handle anything. Provided that you promise to leave at the first sign of danger,” said Goku. He pulled Chichi close and gave her a kiss on her temple. She slid her arm around him, and leaned up to take his lips with hers.
Raditz moved over and pulled Stellari towards him. She hugged him tightly and they shared a quiet moment of peace.
***
They ate a small picnic under the midday sun. Stellari sighed as she leaned into Raditz chest. Despite his insistence wearing the armor, she felt very comfortable around her husband. Below in the valley she saw the flashes of light as Gohan and the twins sparred. She reached down and curled her arm around Radzia who was curled up in her lap. Planck was exploring the silver light through the blades of grass.
Chichi and Goku were nearby picking apples from one of the large trees. Goku was punching one tree after another just gently enough so Chichi could catch each falling fruit. Both loved the simple game to test their reflexes. Ever since Goku recovered from the heart virus he was spending as much time with her as he could from his training. Piccolo levitated nearby, watching the progress of Gohan's sparring with the twins.
“Back here, small one," Raditz urged, tugging on the boy's collar. The small Saiyan whelp wore a black armored vest top over his onsies, for Raditz had insisted both Saiyan children be brought up with the proper training.
"Everyone is wearing armor but me," Stellari murmured. Radzia curled up on her father's lap, snoozing. Her small vest was also black in color, held to her small chest with a single strap that passed over one arm and under the back. A light pink onsie completed the outfit with gloves and small white boots. One of her small ears was pierced and jewelry from a coppery red metal hung from it. As for Planck, he climbed into her lap and hugged her neck.
"Umma, umma," he mumbled, nibbling on her ear.
"That's enough, sweetie," she said. Raditz grunted and pointed to one of the containers of meat. She tried tentatively to chew it up. Raditz watched with pride as she kissed his lips and transferred the chewed mouthful to her son's. Planck hungrily swallowed each masticated portion moistened with Stellari's saliva.
"You're a pro at this," Raditz observed. "And while we're on the subject of it, I have something for you…"
"What?" she asked. Raditz reached under one of the armored panels of his outfit, and pulled out a capsule. He passed it to the scientist, who held it in one hand. Planck tried to grab the shiny object from her.
"Not for you brat, come here," Raditz pointed to a place by his knee.
"Fafa," he gurgled, and released his grip to toddle over to his father. Raditz nodded, and the boy plunked down next to where Raditz knelt with Radzia on his lap. She yawned and settled into her father's arm, then sucked her thumb.
"Like this, keep your tail in," Raditz chided the boy. Lightly he tried to guide the boy's tail around his tiny waist, and Stellari shook her head.
"How old do they do that?"
"About this age. Now go open your present woman. I'm anxious to see if it fits," he said.
"Demanding aren't you?" she glared at him.
"Amma, present, present!" Planck gurgled.
"Good grief, he said what I thought he did?"
"Saiyans can talk at a much younger age. Now go on… there are some bushes over there," Raditz said, lightly swatting her rear as she got up. Stellari grumbled but Raditz blinked up with that smirk that drove her wild. He lay on one side, grabbing more meat to chew up and feed to the sleepy Radzia and Planck who were both squirming on his armored lap.
Goku glanced down with his mouth full of apple at Raditz. "Man he's a natural Chi."
"I never figured he'd be so good with children, but he's a surprise. There's more of you in him every day," Chichi nodded, gathering apples in her skirt. Goku leaned over and dropped another into the improvised basket.
"Mmm, you think you can make a pie with these? Like Stellari does?" Goku asked.
"I could try, but you're eating half of them already, Goku-sa!" Chichi swatted his arm.
"Mommy!" called Gohan. "Look at what I can do!"
"Gohan, you need to stop training and eat lunch!" Chichi called. "I almost forgot."
"Humans," mumbled Piccolo.
"Lunchtime!" Bohr and Fermi laughed, stopping their sparring.
"Over here, young warriors," Raditz waved. Three youths flew towards the huge picnic blanket, followed by Goku and Chichi walking hand in hand. Chichi disgorged the huge load of apples into one empty blanket, and started pulling out the food capsules from the basket by Raditz hip.
"Here I'll take her," Goku offered. He took Radzia from his brother, and toddled her while Fermi and Bohr wiped their hands with some of the sani clean that Stellari had in her picnic basket.
"Where's Mommy?" asked Fermi.
"Over in the bushes hiding," Bohr said. He reached down and pulled Planck to sit in his lap and took a bottle of breast milk out of the basket to start feeding him.
"Gohan, go wash some of these apples in the river for dessert. Goku, I'll start with the salad," Chichi nodded. "And you get your wife back here! I won't have her missing lunch! She may not be eating for three anymore, but she needs her strength."
"I'll get her," Raditz said as he stood up.
"Fafa!" Radzia gurgled.
"Stay with your uncle, girl. I'll be back," he said. "Start without me."
"Daddy, what's up?" Fermi asked, standing up.
"I suppose you can come with me," said Raditz as the boy tagged along trying to match his step.
"I'll help Auntie Chichi," said Bohr, waving to them. "Go find Mommy and tell her she's it!"
"It's not THAT kind of game," groaned Bohr. "It's a grown up game, right daddy?"
"Yes, that's right, young one," Raditz nodded. Impressively Fermi matched his stride with three steps to every one of his.
"Mom! Are you in there? There's food!" called Fermi.
"Well, aren't you going to come out and show me?" Raditz asked.
"Are you SURE this is right?" came Stellari's voice.
"Come out. I need to know if the material works," Raditz called.
"What's up, Dad?" asked Fermi.
"I have a little surprise for your mother, young warrior. Something for her training," said Raditz, tapping his foot impatiently. "Do get a move on, woman!"'
"Why do you call her that when you know her name, Dad? C'mon!" Fermi glared up at him.
"Saiyan tradition," Raditz grunted.
"More of that Saiyan stuff again, I get it. I know you're not being a meanie, but it still sounds weird," said Fermi suspiciously. His red orange gi resembled his 'uncle' Goku's complete with a training shirt underneath and a Son karate patch on the front and on the back. Except instead of blue, his training shirt was green and long sleeved. Bohr's was yellow so they could tell the two apart from a glance.
"Are you sure this design is right?" Stellari asked. Out of the bushes an armored figure strode, her muscles gliding under a black armored suit. Her sizeable bosom was encased in a black armored vest with green shoulder straps. They matched the color of the paneling down the back that spread from the spine, and the hip guards and venting on the abdominal. Instead of a square neck, the vest had a modified V showing her cleavage partially. Reluctantly she pulled at the wrist guards that were a cherry red matching those covering her boot tops.
"Mom you look cool. Where'd you get the armor?"
"A present for our anniversary. Mind you, boy it's Saiyan custom for a male to give his woman a suit of armor when he destroys hers. To show her his ability to provide. I fashioned that myself out of the same material mine is made from," said Raditz.
"Where did you get it? I didn't know you could MAKE armor," she glanced at him, shy about her bare shoulders showing. "And why THIS design?"
"Green signifies technical grade Third class Saiyan guard. You serve the Princess and Prince in your technical capacity with weaponry. The red guards on your wrists and ankles denote you're a team leader for you are in charge of a scientific unit," he grunted. "Shoulder pads are optional, but this offers better ease of movement."
"I'm going to punish you for this. I think I look… strange," Stellari shivered.
"You look fit to be the mate of a Saiyan warrior, love," Raditz said as he reached for her hand.
"Mommy, you are radical! What's the big deal!" Fermi glanced up.
"Nothing," she said.
"C'mon, Mom, give," said Fermi, tugging on one of the long green hip guards.
"Oh, I'm just going to give your Father a little talking to about his fashion sense."
"It's not like those silly superheroes on TV," said Fermi.
"HEY, Raditz, c'mon and eat will ya?" Goku called as they turned.
"Go on, join them. I'll talk to your father alone," said Stellari. She leaned down and kissed Fermi, who dashed over to join the others. Grabbing up her coat she slid it on over the armor.
"Are you displeased?" Raditz asked.
"It's… sweet… but I don't feel COMFORTABLE in armor… must I…"
"I don't want you dead, love. It's better to have protection," snorted Raditz. "And the Prince would be displeased if you wore the wrong…"
Suddenly Raditz tensed. His eyes widened in shock, and he grabbed her hand, pulling her after him. Both of them raced to where Goku was standing in battle mode near Gohan. "Shimatta…"
"Goku?"
"Uncle?" asked Bohr.
"Something's not right," said Fermi. "Mommy!"
"You sense it too?" asked Goku as Raditz rushed up.
"What ARE you wearing?" Chichi panted.
"No time for that! Chichi, we've got to get the kids out of here!" Goku hissed.
"Mommy?" Bohr asked.
"Fermi, Bohr, take your brother and sister and go with your Aunt," Raditz ordered.
"Gohan, go with your mother. Let Piccolo and me handle this," said Goku.
"Goku… what's going on?"
"You've got to get your family out of here now!" Piccolo snorted.
"Kinto un!" Goku shouted. The gold cloud sizzled down, and he grabbed up Chichi. Stellari grabbed up Radzia from Bohr.
"Good grief," she gasped.
"Go love, now!" Raditz shouted.
"Mommy?" Bohr asked.
"C'mon let's GO!" Stellari urged.
"Gimmie the other," Chichi barked. She grabbed up a squirming Planck, while levitating Nimbus up.
"Get on the cloud with her now!" Stellari urged to Fermi and Bohr. "It's faster."
"Goku sa!" Chichi called.
"Chichi, go now!" Goku shouted. "Go home! Don't look back!"
"Daddy," Gohan said.
"Go with them, Gohan. That's an order from me," Piccolo grunted. "I need you to protect the women."
"Now just a moment…" started Chichi.
"Don't argue, let's go," Stellari said. "You stay SAFE!"
"I'll be right behind you," Goku promised, blowing Chichi a kiss.
"Go, woman," Raditz urged. He nipped her ear as they levitated into the air. Soon Flying nimbus was a glowing trail in the sky. Gohan and Stellari rocketed up after them. To Stellari's delight the armor seemed to cut down on wind resistance as she struggled to keep up.
"Fafa!" Radzia whimpered.
"Hold on love, your Father has work to do," Stellari said.
"Mammamam!" Radzia sniffled, hugging her neck tightly around the green collar. Stellari pushed herself after Gohan, her purple ki trail increasing in energy.
"That's Saiyan armor isn't it?" Gohan observed.
'Yes, but that's not important. What did you sense?"
"Some energies coming this way. I don't know what they are, but I'm going back to help once Mom and everyone else is squared away," Gohan said.
"You will do NO such thing!" Chichi shouted. Soon they reached the safety of the Son residence, and she brought Kinto un to land. Quickly she hastened the children inside, waving to Gohan and Stellari.
"But mom, they might NEED me!" he said.
"Gohan!" Chichi called. He blasted off, soon a small white comet in the sky as Chichi screamed after him.
"I'll go with him," said Stellari firmly. "Can you manage?"
"OH please bring him back!" Chichi lamented.
"Mommy?" Fermi and Bohr asked.
"Take CARE of your brother and sister, boys that's an order!" she said. "And do exactly as Aunt Chichi says!"
"Mommy be careful!" Bohr cried as he felt her quick hug. He took Radzia and dashed in.
Stellari nodded and ran out the door. Grumbling she grabbed a bandanna and tied her hair back then reached for the scouter on the table. Raditz insisted she wear one, as she could not sense ki very well. Grumbling she put the thing on which acted like a double pair of lenses. Green tipped boots pounded against the dirt path, and she reached the tall rock. Judging the distance she dashed forwards then pushed down with her hands and back leg to thrust herself up for extra measure. Her mind took over, pushing her body as she panted.
"Gohan!" she shouted. "Get back here!"
Purple ki flared. She was thankful for Raditz training to focus her energies better. Ever since her pregnancy it seemed her ki had doubled even at resting state. Somehow the armor she wore also seemed to focus her ki and aid in the even flow. Just what properties the armor had she wasn't sure, but she knew that she would give Gohan an earful. Soon she caught up with his figure. He wore the evil tribe uniform of a Mazuko in honor of Piccolo's contribution. His own hair fluttered in the breeze, held back by a ponytail holder. Already he was growing like a weed, every day seeming to gain an inch or so.
"Aunt Stellari, you should go back!" Gohan called.
"Nothing doing! You just HAD to run off!" Stellari shouted. "Your mom's not someone to brush off!"
"I have to fight! I have an awful feeling that something terrible's gonna happen to Dad, Uncle Raditz and Mr. Piccolo!" Gohan protested.
"No wonder,' Stellari mumbled, focusing her scouter. "Those traces aren't human. I'm reading infinite power batteries. The sort that Androids are made from!"
"But how could we sense energies when…" Gohan spluttered.
"It was a trap. Damn it!" Stellari gritted.
"Then I was right! We gotta hurry!" Gohan gasped. "Can you keep up with me?"
"Just watch me, Gohan," she said.
"Grab on!" Gohan urged, gripping her hand tightly. He poured more of his ki into his aunt, tugging her along with him as he poured on more speed. The Saiyan third class armor increased her streamlined shape, making it less of a chore to pull her in his ki envelope.
"More energy readings from that way!" Stellari pointed with her red gauntleted hand.
"It's Vegeta and Trunks!" said Gohan.
"Damn," Stellari mumbled.
"What the HELL is Kakkarot doing!" Vegeta ranted as he banked his course to meet Gohan.
"I don't know!" Gohan shouted.
"Your majesty it's a trap! I'm reading Android plastics!" said Stellari.
"Humph, what are you doing here, woman?" Vegeta glared at her suspiciously.
"Professor Stellari, you mean you can trace Android plastics with a scouter?" Trunks asked, his purple hair tied back. It had grown considerably, and gave him a rugged look.
"Yes Mr. Trunks!" She said.
"I told Kakkarot to stay out of this!" Vegeta snarled.
"Vegeta, he's my dad, and I'm going to help him!" Gohan snapped.
"You dare address me like that, boy? Don't you know who you're talking to?"
"Father please, we need them. Who knows what we're running into!"
"Woman, how many traces does that toy tell you? Why did you not tell me sooner you could detect those tin cans, eh?" Vegeta glared at her.
"I'm sorry, your Majesty. I hadn't time to tell your wife… I mean you're…" Stellari stammered, not sure of what to use.
"That will be enough. Tell me where if you wish to be of any use!" Vegeta barked orders to her like she was one of them. Perhaps it was the armor she wore?
"Southwest, by the Tenkachi Budokai, island chain," said Stellari.
"Trunks, come with me," said Vegeta. "You may come along if you can keep up! But don't get in my way!"
"I won't, Vegeta," said Gohan, grabbing Stellari's waist and pulling her with him.
All four of them rocketed over the ocean for what seemed miles. They approached a small chain of islands. Vegeta and Trunks white booted feet landed first. Shortly afterwards landed Stellari's green boots capped in red legwarmers, and Gohan's small pointy Namekian boots.
"Stay close to me, Aunt Stellari," Gohan urged, reaching up and taking her hand. Like a true gentleman, he held tightly and guided her with him. Ki sizzled along his skin, and she felt it crackling through their joined hands.
"This is a red ribbon base, Father," said Trunks, inhaling deeply. "But where are Goku and Piccolo?"
"Something doesn't seem right," Vegeta mumbled, narrowing his eyes. "I'm getting multiple senses."
"Your majesty, Goku and Piccolo aren't here! The readings aren't their latent power levels!" said Stellari.
"You telling me I don't know Kakkarot's trace, woman?"
"The scouter's been adapted," said Trunks quickly. "Isn't that right? Is that one of the new models Mother made?"
"Raditz fashioned it. He said he'd recalibrate to account for levels up to beyond Super Saiyan," said Stellari as Vegeta glared at her.
"Is that so? Explain, woman!"
"Oh you'll find out soon enough," said a slow feminine laugh.
"No, it can't be you… you were supposed to be in Ginger town," gasped Trunks. Two figures landed, standing opposite Vegeta and Trunks.
"Oh shit," Stellari gasped.
"I'm bored, Brother. Are THESE the Saiyans?" asked the slender blue eyed female with an icy stare. Blond hair fluttered over her beautiful face. Next to her stood a handsome man of the same height and slender build. Both of them seemed far too pretty almost doll like.
"You… you monsters, where's Goku and Piccolo!" Trunks shouted.
"Shut up boy. You are more of those tin cans from Gero?" Vegeta smirked.
"Huh he's a real bright guy huh?" the boy said.
"Seventeen and Eighteen!" Stellari shivered.
"Well well, I guess you've heard of us. How exciting," said 18 sarcastically, tapping her foot. "And 16 said he could handle the others? I think one of us should have given him a hand because these four don't seem like a challenge at all!"
"Give me a break, sis. I like warming up," said 17, crackling his knuckles. "After all, these two blew 14 and 15 away…"
"What do you want!" Gohan shouted. "Where's my DAD?"
"How the hell should I know, brat?" asked Seventeen. "Unless your father's named Son Goku. If that's the case, he's in a whole world of hurt!"
"How dare you!" Vegeta snarled. "Kakkarot is MINE! Nobody goes after him but me! The Saiyan Prince…"
"Yeah yeah we know all about you, your HIGHNESS," 18 taunted, flipping her hair in disdain. "You think you can take us on, little man?"
"You'll be eating those words, you flying toaster," Vegeta snarled. "Just because you're a woman doesn't mean I won't recycle you into something more useful, like a washing machine!"
"Father," Trunks said.
"Oh really?" 18 snickered. "Let me handle this hothead. You can have the others."
"Father…" Trunks said.
"Keep back Trunks. Get OUT of my way. I've been WAITING for this," Vegeta laughed evilly. Vegeta and 18 suddenly phased out, and then reappeared thousands of feet in the air. Soon the sounds of their smashing fists and flying kicks were heard.
***
It had been a terrible battle. Vegeta had been defeated, as had Trunks. Fortunately Nappa had whisked the Prince away giving Goku the chance to attack. Krillen's momentary distraction had somehow convinced 18 to break off and leave. Goku had seen the soft kiss she had given Krillen, and wondered what had brought that on. It served as a reminder that these Androids had no clear objective as they had all formerly thought. What beings simply play with them like toys except those who are mere children flexing their muscles. 17 and 18 were little more then delinquents who were unsure of what to do now that they had achieved such abilities. Freiza was a tyrant in comparison, but universal domination seemed far more comprehendible to Goku then mere amusement.
He had seen the joy that 17 and 18 shared in wanton destruction. Violence without caring to see what the consequences were. Those were the key traits the Androids shared with Freiza and his ilk. The base desires of power for power's sake was one universal motivation Goku gleaned from the battle he had so far fought. It became painfully apparent to him that Dr. Gero had no control over 17 and 18. However 16 seemed to have a clear objection, merely to eliminate Goku. He would do so at the exclusion of all others. To harm and fight anyone else was an anathema. Goku saw a shaft of hope in dealing with an android that had only one clear purpose. 16 might be reasoned with and convinced to change. However 17 and 18 would prove far more difficult. Sadly Goku sensed they would only comprehend the language of violence. They would fight and destroy till someone showed them a better way.
Unfortunately Vegeta's objective was similar, Goku realized. The Prince may have taken Bulma, his best childhood friend, as his mate but he still desired power. Ever since Vegeta had come back to life he had devoted himself to the sole purpose of proving he could attain Super Saiyian. Goku presumed it was to settle the old dispute between the Prince and himself started so long ago on Earth. That he could comprehend. Still the introduction of Nappa and Raditz to the scenario disturbed him. Goku could also tell Piccolo was troubled. The Namekian had been tight lipped about the extent of his `conversion' even though he had joined the Z warriors against the Androids and the Saiyans. Goku hoped Piccolo's experience with Gohan had softened the Namekian.
Shortly after Raditz and Stellari's babies were born, Goku and Piccolo had a conversation that shed more light on the namekian's future plans. Also Kami had hinted to Goku that his time apart was drawing to an end. Piccolo announced that he was ready to do whatever it took to rid the world of the android menace. Goku wondered if it meant absorbing that lost part of himself to become one again. So far he did not sense Kami's life force having vanished. IT still remained separate. But he sensed in his gut that it was a matter of time before Piccolo took that step.
Goku's mind wandered back to the present moment. He had Trunks to deliver to Bulma, and then his next task would involve what to do next. Instant Transmission was a good thing. Now he had to figure out who would go with him in search of what he sensed was the next danger.
Just minutes ago Goku had reappeared without Trunks. In his pocket he carried several small pistols that Bulma had given him. Then he had asked Stellari to train her scouter ahead. Raditz had put one of his own on, and Goku had narrowed his perceptions to lock onto the one named Bliss.
They all hovered above the island where they had found 17 and 18. Goku drifted only a foot from his brother and his sister in law. He swallowed hard, then blinked at them, anticipating the question Stellari gave voice to. "Where's Trunks?" asked Stellari.
"Bulma's getting ready to go with him, as soon as she's ready. She asked me to bring these," Goku said, pulling something out of his pocket.
"Those are the neutrino disrupters she spoke of," said Stellari.
"I've already given a few to Piccolo, Krillen, and Gohan. Chichi also has a few. In case the androids attack. But Trunks was still out cold when I left him at Bulma's," Goku admitted.
"What of the Prince?" asked Raditz.
"He's spending time in a regeneration tank. Nappa's guarding him. Nappa doesn't know yet that Bliss was taken. And Bulma thinks it's better that way. The last thing we need is for Nappa to go nuts trying to find her. Once Trunks wakes up, then he and Nappa will go after her. But I think we should beat him to it," Goku said.
"What of Tien and Yamcha?"
"Piccolo and Krillen have gone after them," said Goku firmly. "Chiautzu is helping to see if he can track Tien's mind through their special bond. It's not going to be pretty…"
"The Prince will not be happy when he comes out," Raditz said.
"He was badly beaten up by that android," Goku nodded.
“Now what?” asked Raditz.
“Well we can't just hover here with Bliss in their clutches!” Stellari protested. She turned her back and both Raditz and Goku gaped at the bleeding wound crossing her bare shoulders. With the armor it was apparent she was covered in scratches.
“Not with that bruise. Why didn't you TELL me you were hurt?” Raditz asked.
“I think we should go someplace less dangerous to think,” Goku said. “Follow me. We need to nurse our wounds and recover.”
Stellari and Raditz flew along after Goku. The back of his gi flapped in the wind under the ki envelope rippling over his body. Black spikes waved just a bit from the mass of hair on his head that Stellari watched. She still tingled with the excess energy Gohan had fed into her from his own Super Saiyan transformation. It enabled her to fly as fast as Raditz and Goku were.
"Where are we going?" she asked.
"We're tracking down where they took Bliss. But to do that we need to recover and we need a plan. Maybe if we can rescue her, we can find out what they did to Tien and Yamcha. So Bulma can undo it," Goku said quietly. “But I need to know more about these androids. And I think we need to get some things clear first. And I need food!”
He banked sharply, flipping head over weighted boots to land in a clearing in the vast forest. Stellari recognized the landscape as that surrounding his childhood home. Raditz and Stellari soared towards Mt. Pauzo, landing moments after Goku. The small pagoda cabin stood much as she and Raditz had left it the day before when they used it as a getaway so chichi and Goku could spend some time together as a couple. Gohan and Fermi and Bohr had stayed with the Ox King, and Raditz and Stellari had remained here.
“Always thinking with your stomach, just like a Saiyan,” Raditz chuffed.
“I think we have some capsulated food,” Stellari said.
“Chichi left something. I can smell it,” Goku said, motioning them to enter the small cabin. It was much as she and Raditz had left it. They sat down around the round table while Goku prepared the rest of the food chichi had left. Dishes clattered and Goku soon warmed the leftovers over a hot fire.
Raditz reached under his armor and pulled out a small flat box. Setting it on the table he opened it, and motioned Stellari to move closer. “Come here woman. I need to tend that wound.”
“I could gather some ingredients…” Goku offered.
“No more of that dead fish and stuff. I have a medical kit,” Raditz waved him off. Goku shrugged and returned to what he was doing. Still he watched Raditz gently undo one of the straps on the green armored vest. Opening one container that was flat like Chichi's container of blush, Raditz dipped his fingers in it. Goku's nose wrinkled at the medicinal tang. Whatever it was, Goku figured it was close in composition to a healing salve. Raditz smeared some on Stellari's cut, and she hissed in pain.
“Stay still. Now, relax,” Raditz urged. He covered the bruises and lateral cuts with a fine film of blue paste. Then his ki flared up around his fingers rubbing it into the wound. Goku watched with amazement to see the cuts slowly knitting together before his eyes. Somehow that salve was turning Raditz ki into a healing poultice.
“But that's gonna leave scars!” Goku protested, plunking down a huge dish of rice in the center of the table. He tossed three pairs of chopsticks to them and Raditz glared at him.
“So what? Scars are a sign of prowess!”
“Maybe to you!” Goku glared.
“Guys ENOUGH!” Stellari snapped. “Let's just eat, thank you very much!”
“Good idea!” Goku nodded. He shoved a bowl of rice and steamed vegetables mixed with chicken and beef before Raditz. Stellari groaned when she saw the huge portion he set before her.
“I can't eat all of this!”
“Whoops I forgot,” Goku grinned, eyes shut and scratching the back of his neck.
“Not to worry,” Raditz said. “You start and I'll finish.”
Then they ate rapidly waiting for Goku to bring up whatever subject he wanted. It was prudent to eat and nurse the wounds that they had sustained. Raditz and Goku's chopsticks moved in a continuous blur accompanied by the clink of crockery and the slurps and gulps. Raditz gave up and used his fingers to shove food into his mouth, causing Stellari to grimace. Goku didn't seem to mind, and she ate enough to sate her own ache.
"Gohan? Where is he? Did he go home?" asked Raditz, reaching for another dish of rice that Goku popped out of another capsule from Chichi's picnic basket. Long ago she'd discovered the ease of using empty capsules to contain the vast meals Gohan and Goku would need for their training missions with Piccolo.
"I'd hoped he'd gone home with Chichi. But he's gone with Piccolo and Tien. Chichi was furious. But since she's got the disrupter," Goku said, stacking his dishes and putting them into the huge washtub to soak.
"I should be there helping her," said Stellari. Raditz grabbed her shoulder and held her down.
"Chichi said that you shouldn't worry. She's got things covered with the twins and Fermi and Bohr helping her. So don't worry. She's angrier that I let Gohan run off. But she has to realize that his power could be the difference between victory and defeat," said Goku firmly.
"Saiyan warriors fought at his age," said Raditz.
"And since you're the only scientist except for Bulma here who knows about these androids, we need you to help figure out what we find when we get there," Goku said. "Bulma's going to join Trunks…"
"I don't get it? Where are we going?" Raditz asked.
"The place we ended up was an old Red Ribbon base all right. But there are other places…"
"Yes… the Red Ribbon army had many bunkers. I can presume that Piccolo and Krillen went back to Gingertown?"
"Yes," said Goku. "And we're going towards Muscle Tower. Trunks and Bulma are going to investigate where we just were... and Nappa is going to get Vegeta to chase after 17 and 18," Goku said.
"Brother you're fibbing," Raditz snickered.
"Well, better he go on a wild goose chase then get all nuts about being the strongest. He's not going to let 18 go after beating him up," Goku chuckled darkly. "Guess he doesn't know when to quit. The question is Raditz, will you listen to him or yourself?"
"Brother I'm going with you," said Raditz firmly.
"So am I," said Stellari. "And Muscle Tower was one of the first places I trained with my unit. It's no accident Bulma assumed that you should go there with me. I know its codes well."
"I know the layout too, since I almost blew it up," Goku admitted. "Course I was a kid then…"
"They've remodeled it since then," said Stellari. "One of Gero's first labs was there. The place we just were was his latest one. That explains why 17 and 18 were there. I don't know what they were looking for unless they expected to find something else to help them get rid of the bombs in their bodies."
"Bombs?" Goku asked. "You mean like Ha-chan had?"
"Ha-chan?"
"Android 8," Goku added. "It's a mouthful."
"Yes, each Android has a bomb in them as a failsafe. It makes sense they'd try to find Gero's notes to get rid of the bombs. But what worries me is that there was one last project Gero was working on, with my ex husband's team. A new type of Artificial human that wasn't cybernetic. There was a genetic engineering program to take cybernetics and genetics to a new level. And it was in another location…"
"Where?" Goku asked. He let his chopsticks drop into his emptied bowl with a definitive clink.
"Near the direction that Piccolo and Krillen went," she shivered.
"But…" Goku tapered off, his eyes wide.
"It was called Android 21. Gero took blood samples of all the best martial artists in the world. Chablis was part of that project. They took Saiyan DNA and tried to combine it with human to create the perfect fighter. Gero didn't like genetic engineering. He said straight robotics was the key. But another scientist disagreed. Dr. Minos, his brother was working on the project that created the other telepaths and me. We were all the result of genetic engineering to bring out the most powerful soldiers," said Stellari.
"Wow…" whispered Goku. "You mean like Blue?"
"Yes. Blue and I knew each other all too well. Violet and Scarlett. I was called Silver. But I decided NOT to do what they asked and I freed Bliss from Minos' labs. Gero found out, and I was to be liquidated. Luckily you happened Goku, and because you decimated the Red Ribbon army, the threat was contained. But we were wrong," said Stellari.
"And then you came to work for capsule," Goku nodded. "Bulma told me a bit. But why didn't you guys do something about the bases?"
"We assumed they'd been abandoned. The King of the World sent agents to liquidate any assets. As far as we knew, the labs had been blown up. But it seems that Gero manipulated computer records to fool the entire world. And if 18 and 19 exist, that means that 21 exists."
"21?" asked Raditz.
"It's called the Cell project. We didn't think any progress had been made," said Stellari. "All I know is that a lot of my plastics went into it. And my ex husband's genetic research also was used. He worked alongside Minos. That's why the Androids want me. They want revenge for me joining Capsule and stealing Chablis from them. They were trying to make her into an Android as well as use her DNA to make android 21."
"Android 21…a re we SURE he wasn't ever made?" Goku gasped.
"It wasn't just Bliss whose DNA was used. The blood samples of many fighters, including you and Piccolo, and who knows whom else was collected. But all the experiments were colossal failures. That's why Gero resorted to purely artificial humans made from cybernetic parts instead of being cloned. But if Minos succeeded, then we've got worse problems then 17 and 18!" she stammered.
"How's that?" Goku shuddered.
"21's schematics included the ability to absorb genetic material and combine it with its own. You know 13, 14 and 15? If they had survived, any one of those three could have taken the parts of its brothers and mad itself stronger. 21 could do the same thing with 20, 19, 18 and 17!"
"Damn, are you kidding?" Goku asked.
"Yes Goku. If 18 was destroyed, or 16, 17 could simply absorb their body parts and grow stronger. Make a super android. But if 21 did the same… then we'd all be doomed," Stellari whispered.
"We have to make sure that doesn't happen. Does Bulma know this?"
"She figured it out the same time I did," said Stellari. "I had hoped it was just a theory, but now that I've seen 17 and 18…"
"You acted like you knew them," said Raditz.
"I knew 17 and 18 when they were human. They were just two orphaned twins that were sucked into Red Ribbon's program and brainwashed into thinking Gero was their father. In all intents and purposes he is. He's taken the worst parts of humanity and enhanced them to make a 'better' life form, Goku. And I helped in some small way to make him do it," Stellari said.
"That's why you say you're no better then the Saiyans?" asked Raditz quietly.
"Yes. In my own way, I'm just like you, Nappa and Vegeta. I contributed to making a weapon, which could wipe out an entire planet. And already those weapons have killed many," said she.
"Hold on a minute!" Goku said angrily. "That doesn't matter! You've made a choice that's a better one!"
"Maybe so, Son Goku. But I won't rest till those androids are toast," she said angrily.
Goku glared at Raditz with a weird look. Raditz glanced back. A link formed between the two brothers, and Stellari could feel they must be having a telepathic conversation. Silence overwhelmed the small cabin. She could only hear the deep exhalation from either brother when they locked their dark gazes.
**"That's a weird sense of humor you have, Raditz, giving her Bardock's armor!"** Goku glared at Raditz. His rounded eyes narrowed to their angled state, indicating Goku was getting angry.
**"Why? It's not HIS armor. It looks like it, but it's the design of someone of her rank and station…"** Raditz answered. His expression in turn drew up thin lips in a smirk reminiscent of Vegeta's.
**"What's Vegeta trying to do? This is Earth, not Planet Vegeta! We don't need to bring back something that's been blown up!" **
**"The Prince has the right to continue the Saiyan race. We cannot be snuffed out!"**
**"Have you ever considered if it's WORTH trying to save?"** Goku angrily frowned. **"All the hatred and killing? That's not something that I'd want to bring back! And what would Vegeta do if he COULD bring back the Saiyan race? What Freiza tried to?"**
**"Brother, I don't know!"** Raditz fiercely flung his thoughts back.
"You see what's happening with the Androids, don't you? Some other nutcase is trying to do what Vegeta might do! And people are going to be killed and suffer. Is that what you want? For your wife and kids?" asked Goku aloud.
"What?" Stellari asked.
"I don't want that!" Raditz burst out. "I just want to live!"
"Then stop hanging onto something that should stay dead! Bardock learned that at the last moment! He had the chance to change!"
"What do you know about what FATHER did?" Raditz exploded.
"Guys, now's not the time!" Stellari shouted.
"I spent seven years in HELL brother, after you killed me. You don't THINK I didn't encounter Father in that time?" asked Raditz angrily.
"And what did he have to say?" asked Goku.
"I… cannot remember all of it," whispered Raditz. "Only that I should expect no forgiveness from you unless I accepted the reality of what the Saiyan race had become. That you had made him proud where he had failed. And I resented him for that for the longest time."
"Then he DID change. I had assumed that was the case when Freiza mistook me for Bardock," said Goku.
"How WOULD you know about Bardock except that time you said you contacted him on Namek?" asked Stellari.
"How?"
"Bardock's mind touched mine, shortly before I faced Freiza," Goku sighed. "He… it was like space and time folded, and I could almost SEE and touch him. It all seems so weird now, but I found myself thinking to him that he could have changed then and there… and then Bardock was gone…"
"He said that he saw you… defeat Freiza before he died himself," Raditz admitted, trying to dredge up the shadowy memories of Hell.
"So you do remember?"
"Only pieces, brother," Raditz said. "Much of it I tried to block out. But much of it still torments me every moment of every day."
"He did change?" Goku asked.
"Open your mind and see for yourself, Brother," said Raditz. Goku reached over across the table scooting around to sit by Raditz. Stellari nervously saw Raditz drag his chair over, and press his hand to Goku's temple. Simultaneously Goku pressed his hand to Raditz head, and the two of them stared into one another's eyes.
"You sure?" Goku asked. "I've done this many times before… just let me read what you want me to see…"
"Then let's do this quickly," said Raditz tersely. "Contact."
"Yes," Goku nodded. Stellari felt the conflict through her bond with Raditz. She glanced from one brother to the other. Both their muscles tensed and rippled under their flesh while locked in the mental link. She closed her eyes and tentatively probed, wondering if she dared intrude but she also was curious to see what they were sharing. Whatever Raditz shared with Goku he surely should show to her as well.
***
Stellari focused her mind. Slowly she slid her astral self down the core of light that connected her soul with Raditz. Images blurred, and then she was immediately in that nightmarish scape covered in clouds that she had inhabited once before.
“Goku, Raditz, let me see too,” Stellari thought quietly.
“It seems fair, doesn't it?” Goku's thoughts came.
“Very well, but it won't be pretty,” Raditz sighed in resignation.
Goku's orange gi'd form emerged from the clouds. He glanced around, then saw Stellari standing there. "Where's Raditz?" asked Goku.
"I don't know. He's here around us, Goku. He'll show you what he wants to, in whatever way he wishes," said Stellari. "The fact I'm here probably means that I'm supposed to see what you are."
"You've done this before," Goku nodded. "You know his mind?"
"I assumed you do this with Chichi?"
"Yes and no," Goku said softly. "I still don't totally get the Saiyan bond thing. But King Kai taught me how to do these things, as did Kami."
"Take my hand, Goku. Maybe together we can convince Raditz to show us," said Stellari.
"But why doesn't he just SHOW us?" Goku asked.
"That's not how Saiyans do things, Goku. He still doesn't totally trust you'll like what you see. He's feeling guilty for how he tormented you and Gohan all those years ago. When I first entered he didn't just go, Oh here's my life in a neat series of images," said Stellari.
"Because that's a human way to think? Is that why?" Goku asked.
"Yes. You're thinking like a human. We like things to be directly shown. Saiyans don't. They're hunters. They share thoughts through sensations and a completely different manner. They don't wear their hearts on their sleeves. Raditz is simply waiting to see if we're ready to face the truth or not," said Stellari.
"I see," Goku said quietly.
"Do you?" asked a loud voice that rumbled the landscape. "Stellari, you're here too?"
"Do you want me to go?" she asked the fog. Goku narrowed his eyes.
"No, you will stay and show Brother. But he cannot expect me to simply make things in terms he'd comprehend. You'll have to help me find the words. For the Saiyan language is beyond Kakkarot's comprehension," said Raditz.
"I can understand. Vegeta showed me," said Goku.
"He only showed you what he figured you'd understand, Brother," said Raditz's disembodied voice. "Let Stellari guide you."
"Um… we won't find the answer here, Raditz. You have to let him in a bit like you did me," said Stellari.
"I know this is hard for you Raditz. I won't go where you don't want me. If you want, let Stellari show me because she knows what you might not want me to see," said Goku.
"Very well. You wish to recall what Father said to me in Hell. You shall see it now," said Raditz.
"Lay it on me," Goku answered. Suddenly the landscape blurred and they were in a fiery inferno of many layers. Goku grasped Stellari's hand, and they fell through the layers of Raditz memories. Many of them were horrendous, and Goku realized now why Raditz outer mind had kept them on that featureless smoky plane. They were delving deep into places that were sickening and horrifying. Goku's stomach turned when he saw the violent purging drift by.
"This is a Saiyan's life, Kakkarot," Raditz growled.
"He doesn't need to see this," said Stellari angrily.
"He does, if he is to comprehend why I am who I was when first we met!" Raditz answered.
"I know all this stuff!" Goku shouted. "Let's just get to Hell first!"
They landed in a dark place full of many voices whispering hatred. Stellari shuddered, and her skin crawled. Goku gently grasped her hand and squeezed it to reassure her that he was there with her. Raditz was pulling no punches for Goku had been along Snake way and knew what he was seeing.
"I've been to Princess Snake's place. This isn't new to me," Goku shouted.
"Isn't it?" asked a voice. Before them materialized two figures. Raditz merged from the mist, across from the armored form of Bardock himself. Goku and Stellari stood like spectators to a conversation, or rather a full-blown word war. Argument didn't begin to describe the acidity of each syllable.
"I don't know this language," Goku shivered.
"It's Saiyanese," said Stellari. "Let me try."
She reached to the part of the bond where Raditz had taught her the Saiyan language. Goku concentrated, and between them the words began to make sense to him in the language he had long remembered Grandpa Gohan teaching him. The standard language of the World dictated by the King. Words and phrases so hard it hurt. Father and son were pushing and shoving one another. Each accusation escalated to the point where suddenly Bardock's fist flashed out and punched Raditz. Angrily Raditz kicked, and then they exploded into full scale fighting.
It was brutal and feral like the fight Goku remembered with Vegeta. Fists flying, and skulls cracking together. Blood flying out of the lips and eye sockets of either one to heal spontaneously in the eternal agony of this layer of Hell. Goku winced to see Raditz knocked low. Bardock's foot slowly crushed Raditz ribcage, and Goku realized why his father was doing this. He was receiving the same treatment he'd given Goku.
"How does it feel, Son, to be tortured? To know that you can't do anything to escape destiny. To not CARE that you could change it!"
"Father… please…" Raditz begged.
"There is no mercy for Saiyans. Is that right? You disappoint me, you wretch. We all have a choice. Kakkarot himself showed me. If I had the strength to fight Frieza…"
"But you didn't!" Goku suddenly shouted. "None of you knew… what happened?"
"You should know," said Bardock's voice, looking over at Goku. Like many dreamscapes the ones fashioned form such memories could interact with him and Stellari's presence. Memories were interactive not static.
"Then show me," Goku said. Images flickered past his mind, flooding second hand through Raditz recollections of hell. Goku's mind flared with the last moments of Bardock's solitary battle. Then it disappeared in blinding white rage and sorrow.
"Damn," Goku whispered. Then his eyes widened. For a moment Stellari was whipped out of Raditz mind, and popped elsewhere. Around her soft yellow clouds like Nimbus drifted, and she stood on a firm soft surface like grass. The whole curve of the surface was like a small asteroid, and she saw a monkey ambling around with a cricket. A tiny house along a solitary road near an antique vintage car perched on the horizon.
"Goku!" she shouted.
"King Kai's planet. I brought you here because it was getting ugly. This is my mind," Goku said softly. "Raditz was dragging us both down. He's in pain…"
"Damn," she whispered. "What did you do?"
"Just relax," Goku urged. "He agreed it was best that you watch from my mind because it's safer and more grounded. He doesn't want you hurt by what you're seeing."
"But my mind…"
"It's easier for you to see here," Goku urged, gently pressing her down to sit in the grass. Goku sat next to her, and then focused. Images again played of Bardock's torment like a movie through the golden clouds of King Kai's world. Goku had used that familiar training ground as the place for familiar thoughts and minds to enter. Like she had formed her scientific fortress. Raditz had done the same with the dark cloudy desert with no sunlight. It was the place she always entered first when going to his mind.
"There's another reason you're both here," said Raditz. He stood before them both, in Goku's mind courtyard, wearing his battered armor. It appeared much the way it had when he had been slain by Goku and Piccolo.
"You see me now as you last remembered me those years ago, Brother," Raditz said, kneeling down before them Chinese style. "Now you know what Father showed me in hell. And you little own as well."
"But you're saying I've got something here that I should see? Why my mind?" Goku asked. "Other then the fact that you were worried about the bond hurting her?"
"Raditz, I'm your wife I can see…"
"It was hard for me to control the anger and pain, I didn't want you hurt there. Our bond was still too new for you to see that!" said Raditz softly, grasping her hand.
"Wait," Goku whispered. Another memory drifted by, unlocked by what he had just seen, and the three of them saw the clouds again open and another scene unfold. Memories of a small baby through a glassy foggy sheen.
"Yes, this is a memory that's locked far away. You can't remember it well till my mind just touched yours because you hit your head. The part of you that forgot everything till you saw Father's last moments," Raditz said.
"Yeah, those clouds pretty much hide that other part of me that I never see except in glimpses. I guess that's the Saiyan part of me that I forgot," said Goku.
"Those memories are still there, Kakkarot, I mean Goku," said Raditz. "But your mind veils them as a separate realm. But now you're starting to see that part associated with Bardock."
"Carry out my mission," said a voice through the clouds, blurry and silence. "Defeat Frieza, and avenge us!"
"Wait…" Goku whispered.
"I'm sorry I couldn't have held you kid," said Bardock's voice. It was a bit clearer this time. Both sons and Stellari glanced up to the clouds in Goku's mind to see an image forming. Clouds rolled back to reveal the form blurry like being underwater. It became sharper and more distinct, forming into the likeness of Bardock in battered broken armor, his face and body singed from many attacks. Blood dripped down his forehead and all over, bearing witness to his last desperate assault on Freiza.
"Father," whispered Raditz, trembling.
"You're remembering, aren't you, Kakkarot?" Bardock said as he glanced down at them, hovering above King Kai's planet.
"Yeah. I finally saw what you did. How you faced Frieza. That was amazing," Goku said reverently. He stood up and glanced at the memory facsimile that drifted a distance from them. The memory had just emerged but still was far from him because Goku was struggling to comprehend it.
"You remember what I said to you before you landed on Earth," said Bardock. "It's all locked away. And now the Kakkarot part's trying to talk to the Goku part. Maybe it's better if you did forget most of it."
"I'm Son Goku," said Goku proudly. "That's what matters. And I'm from Earth. Even if I am a Saiyan, I'm still an Earthling."
"I see," Bardock said quietly. "I don't blame you. I wasn't too happy myself when that fat bastard Dudoria told me what Freiza had planned. He slaughtered my team. Fasha, Borgos, Sugesh… my best friend Torah…"
"I know," said Goku quietly. "Raditz showed me your last thoughts."
"It's second hand," said Bardock. "I'm here in your mind, Goku. Locked away. I gave you a piece of my soul and memories through the special powers that Kanassan gave me."
"So you're HERE?" asked Stellari quietly.
"In the part of my mind that's Kakkarot?" Goku blinked.
"I'm living here, partly, girl," Bardock said.
"But that isn't fair! You're in ME? But that makes no sense!" Goku spluttered.
"It's like the mating bond, Kakkarot," said Bardock. "Where two Saiyans exchange pieces of their souls. That bonds them as much as the blood exchange. The same can happen with family members. When Kakkarot and I were on Vegetasei, our minds touched. That bond STILL existed long after I'd died. My soul and Goku's are connected. But because Goku forgot…"
"He didn't know it existed," said Stellari.
"That's why I could see you in the future," Goku said with excitement. His face brightened in that innocent way. "I get it now!"
"You're letting me in. I'm still here, Kakkarot. The bond still exists between our souls. Even though I'm still in Hell, watching you. I can't do much, but I am proud of what I see," said Bardock.
"So this is you now, not just memories?" Raditz whispered.
"You're here too, huh?" asked Bardock, glancing down at Raditz. "You've surprised me too, kid."
"Bardock, was that you I saw in Raditz mind when I bonded with him?" she asked.
"Maybe a little bit," Bardock said, looking at Stellari. She pushed off from the planet and hovered above it to drift by him.
"I wanted to understand you," she said.
"As do I. I see through Kakkarot…"
"My name's Goku!" Goku said annoyed from below.
"He's sure stubborn like me," Bardock smirked. "All right, Goku. I see through him. And I saw you and Raditz. The bum did okay by you."
"Why don't you share this link with Raditz?"
"He didn't' want it," Bardock said, cupping her cheek. "There's so much you don't get about Saiyan culture, but you're learning everyday. You're good for that son of mine. Maybe he will, but only if he's willing to let me in. It's his own anger and resentment that keeps the link shut."
"So you're saying it's MY fault?" Raditz snarled.
"Raditz, cool it!" Goku said.
"That's why my mind brought you here," Goku nodded. "Why you let me take Stellari here. So you could see Bardock and know that I shared a link. And I guess I knew but never quiet got it till now."
"You always were a little slow after that accident, son," said Bardock with a laugh. "It's me here. What you're willing to let in, Son Goku. And I'm glad of it."
"Father," Raditz said.
"Only when you're ready to accept, boy," said Bardock curtly to Raditz. "You're pretty jealous that I'm not talking to you. Get over it."
"Raditz," Stellari sighed.
"He's stubborn too, like his mother," said Bardock with a wry grin. "But since you're willing to let me in, I guess in some way the bond you share with him's letting him see. And I'll be there. But only if he gets over his own roadblocks."
"So you're saying SHE will feel you and I won't?"
"Idiot, you don't' get Saiyan bonding! You and she ARE one," said Bardock with a grunt. "One mind and soul. Bound together. Through understanding you are seeing me. Now let her into your mind and stop this nonsense!"
"Very well, Father," said Raditz sullenly. Then there was a popping sensation and they were all thrust into the real world.