Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Forgotten ❯ The Dance ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Here's another chapter. The song 'Hero' is sung by Enrique Inglesias.

The Forgotten
Part Three
By Maria Cline

It was silent as Piccolo floated in the libary, reading. "Hello, Goku." He grunted without looking up.

Goku smiled slightly as he came in. "How did you know it was me?" He asked.

Piccolo simply tapped his right ear. "I can recognize those clinky footsteps anywhere. I may be a plushie but my hearing is still super sharp."

Goku looked at his metal feet and rubbed the back of his head. "I see your point."

The two were silent for a long moment and finally Piccolo said, "Where's Chi Chi?"

"Preparing Lunch." Goku replied as he sat down and rubbed his head. "I showed her most of the place. Except for the gallery."

"Good." Piccolo looked at the tin soldier as he sat in the miniature chair. Goku just stared at the floor. "Gohan went off to wait for her in the kitchen." Piccolo explained. "It still hurts, doesn't it?"

Goku nodded as he leaned back and stared at the ceiling. "It was great to see her again. To hear her voice, feel her skin... even just the scent of her food is great but... she seems so different. She looks at me and sees an enchanted toy soldier rather than her husband. She looks at Gohan and sees a talking kitten rather than her son. I don't know what to do about her. It hurts to not be with her and yet it hurts to be with her."

Piccolo sighed as he nodded and floated lower. "I see. Which hurts less, being with her or not being with her?"

Goku looked at the former demon and thought. "I don't know. Let's try to focus on getting Bulma and Vegita together so we can be normal again." Goku said, "Any ideas?"

Piccolo scowled at him. "Sorry... demons aren't experts in getting people together. Only breaking them up." He smirked evilly.

"Great." Goku sighed.

"Hey, guys!" Yamcha said as he hopped in. "Goku, you're okay?"

"I'm fine." Goku replied, "We're done with the tour for now. Right now we gotta figure out a way to get Bulma and Vegita together but neither of us know anything about matchmaking. You knew Bulma romatically before you two broke up. Do you know what would attract Bulma to Vegita?"

Yamcha sighed as he shook his head. "I don't know. What attracted me to Bulma and vice versa was... I don't know. We just got together one day... and one day we just parted. I think we should just leave Bulma and Vegita some room... but make them spend time together. See what happens."

"That's it? We just get those two together and wait?" Piccolo asked, "How long does it take humans to get together?"

"No idea." Yamcha replied.

"No idea? Great... so we could be stuck like this forever?" Piccolo asked as he gestured to himself.

"Or just for a couple of days." Goku said, "I mean, Chi Chi and I got engaged just two days after we met!"

"Maybe, but realistically it could be months and only if they spend time together." Yamcha said almost dejected.

The three stood silently for a long moment. Finally, Goku said, "Then we have to do the best we can! I'll go and watch Chi Chi for a while."

"I'll go and get the dining room set up." Yamcha muttered as he hopped out.

"And I'll keep an eye on Vegita." Piccolo said as he vanished into the shadows.

*****

Vegita grunted as he did several flips into the air. "Ya!" He screamed as he did a quick kick at an invisible enemy. He flipped onto his hands and started doing backflips across the mat.

Unknown by him, Bulma watched him on the monitor. There were several cameras littered around the castle that only she could access. The man on the screen sweated and almost glistened in the light. He was small in stature, but his muscles were so well-developed it was amazing. He radiated a pride about him that seem to show even on the monitor. "Such a proud man..." She sighed as she put her hand on the screen. "he will never fall for a monster like me."

The woman watched on as the proud warrior went to the punching machine. He started punching and kicking it with great speed and strength. Suddenly, he screamed as he knocked the machine over. Bulma's jaw dropped as she got up. "That idiot! What's the big idea?!"

Vegita started smashing up the other machines effortlessly. Obviously, the machines couldn't handle his strength.

She got up and marched outside toward the basement. She growled, "No one messes with my machines!"

*****

Vegita sat next to a ruined weight machine, satisfied. He had been frustrated about his situation, but now he felt much better.

"What is the big idea?!" Bulma demanded as she came up and glared at the proud man. "You destroyed my machines!"

"They weren't living. I checked." Vegita said as he smirked.

"That doesn't matter!" Bulma boomed, "I worked damn hard inventing those machines!"

"And they are pathetic." Vegita insisted, "They don't last too long with a Saiyan like myself."

"Only because you didn't use them right." Bulma pointed out. "Besides, they were a little old."

"If you built them, why not build something better?"

Bulma stepped back and asked, "Is that a challenge from the _great_ Prince of Saiyans?"

Vegita smirked as he leaned back. "What do you think?"

Bulma snatched up a piece of equipment and hissed, her snakes flared up. "Don't make it a habit, Vegita." She warned as she walked away.

From the shadows, Piccolo's jaw dropped as he watched. "What just happened?" He wondered.

*****

Chi Chi was done washing the dishes. It had been a fast lunch. Bulma was too busy fixing a bunch of equipment and Vegita just eat. Now, she was alone again but with Gohan.

"Hey, Chi Chi." Goku said as he climbed up the table.

"Goku." Chi Chi smiled down at the toy. "Are you okay?" She asked when she noticed the toy seemed sad for some strange reason.

"I'm okay." Goku lied as he smiled at her. "What about you? Got any plans for tonight?"

"I'm going to train and cook dinner." Chi Chi replied as she sat down. "Why?"

"Oh... I was thinking that we can throw a small party in the basement. You know, nothing major, some dancing, some kareoke, and some dip." Goku said, "Just... a little celebration."

"That sounds nice." Chi Chi smiled. "I'll work on the refreshments."

"Cool... I'm going to tell the others about the party. I just wanted to tell you first." Goku said as he jumped down and stared up at her. Then he ran off.

*****

"A party in the basement?" Yamcha repeated as he directed the various silverwear to their spots.

"Yeah... nothing major like in the old days, but just a little something to get Bulma and Vegita to know each other better." Goku confessed, "Nothing like a little dancing and some good food to get the heart pumping..."

"Would Bulma even go for it?" Yamcha asked skeptically.

"I don't know... but it wouldn't hurt to try." Goku said as he shrugged. "I'll ask Bulma about it."

"You do that... I'll check on Vegita after I get things set up here." Yamcha said as he started his chores again.

*****

"Stupid Saiyan." Bulma grunted as she welded another part to the machine. "I'll have to rebuild these things just to match his power."

"Ummm... Bulma, can I come in?" Goku asked timidly as he cracked open the door to the lab.

"I suppose... what is it?" Bulma asked as she looked down at the toy.

"Oh..." Goku tapped his fingers nervously as he paced back and forth. "I was thinking that we can hold a small... party in the basement. Nothing major of course, just some dancing, music... some dip... it'll be fun!"

Bulma's snakes rose as she glared at the much smaller man. "I'm not going."

"Why not?" Goku asked as he climbed on top of the counter and sat on a discarded metal box.

"Don't you remember the last time we had a party?"

"That was three years ago and this is different!" Goku exclaimed, "It will just be you, Chi Chi, Vegita, and us. Maybe, if Vegita and you get to know each other better..."

"I am getting to know him better right now... look at this mess!" Bulma gestured to the broken machines. "He's been here one day and he undid three years of work!"

"Can't you fix them?" Goku asked, wide-eyed at the damage.

"Yes, but that's not the point." Bulma glared at the parts. "I'll show him... no one destroys my inventions!"

Goku frowned at Bulma's outburst. If she and Vegita continue to fight like this, they would never get together and he will be stuck six inches tall forever. However, Bulma was being motivated to do more than sulk all day. Vegita may be what she needed after all. "Okay... but... well... you can force Vegita to come with you. As revenge for destroying your work."

Bulma frowned as Goku rubbed the back of his head and grinned. "You really want me to go to this 'party' don't you?"

"Better than fixing machines all night." Goku said as he gestured to the broken machines. "Please?"

"Fine... I'll go... but only for a couple of hours after dinner. No more!"

"Sure!" Goku said relieved as he jumped off of the counter. "See ya tonight!"

Bulma sighed as she watched him leave. She knew how desperate Goku was to get Vegita and herself together. Why shouldn't he? His wife was due to marry the prince and his son was in danger of losing himself. "I won't enjoy myself."

*****

Yamcha hopped down to the basement gym where he saw Vegita self-sparring. He stared at the Saiyan Prince as he punched into the air. **How much longer can he go on?** He wondered stunned.

Vegita paused and saw the candle holder staring at him. "What do you want?" He snapped.

"I was wondering if you would like to... umm... go to a little party we're throwing in celebration of you and Chi Chi living here!" Yamcha said as he grinned. "We're holding it right here... nothing big... some dancing, some music... some dip... what do you say?"

"I'm not going to any 'party'. I have training to do!" Vegita said as he punched into the air. "I'm not interested."

"But, the party will be here." Yamcha said as he gestured to the kareoke machine.

"I'll train somewhere else then."

Yamcha frowned. He had to get Vegita to go to the party if he wanted to have feet again. "Okay... I don't blame you. I know why you don't want to go... you can't dance."

Vegita glared at Yamcha and boomed, "WHAT?!"

"It's nothing to be ashamed of." Yamcha said smoothly as he looked down at one of his flame hands. "I mean... lots of guys refuse to dance because they are clumsy, no rhythm whatsoever."

Vegita picked up the candleholder in one fell swoop and held him in both hands. "I can so dance! We Saiyans are as graceful as we are powerful! When is this party?! I'll show you!"

"After dinner, here." Yamcha said as he gulped at the tight hold on his metal body.

"I'll be there." Vegita vowed as he put down Yamcha and crossed his arms.

"Okay! Bye!" Yamcha went off as fast as he could hop.

Vegita smirked and then his jaw dropped. "I... I was tricked... by a candle holder?!" He walked to one of the stone walls and started bashing his head on it. "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

*****

"Okay, we got Bulma, Vegita, and Chi Chi to go." Goku said as he lay out his plans and the others who could go, were at the libary. "Now... we can start Operation Potato."

"Operation Potato?" Yamcha repeated, "Can't we give the plan a different name than 'Operation Potato'?"

"We don't want Vegita or Chi Chi to find out. So, we give this operation a nonrelated name, hence, 'Operation Potato'." Goku rationalized as he laid out the plans. "Now... we need to play a real romantic song... something to tug at the heartstrings. Yamcha, can you pick out a good song?"

"Sure, but someone will have to play it... I'll melt the controls." Yamcha said as he held out his hands.

"Now... the real trick is to get Vegita and Bulma to dance with each other. I know for a fact that Chi Chi doesn't normally dance at first but wait till the mood is right. But Chi Chi has changed since she doesn't know me any more and I'm not sure that would work. Any ideas on what to do about that?"

"Sprained ankle?" Piccolo suggested evilly.

Goku sweatdropped and added, "Something that won't hurt my wife?"

"Spoilsport." Piccolo grumbled.

"Maybe we can dance with her." Gohan spoke up. "She would dance with me, I'm her son!"

"Maybe... we'll see." Goku smiled, "And I can occupy Chi Chi after that. Okay, now... you know the plan... let's do it! Operation Potato is go!"

"Fine... but next plan, I choose the name." Piccolo grunted as the objects left to do their duties.

*****

Chi Chi, Vegita, and Bulma were eating their dinner as usual. "I'm looking forward to the party after dinner." Chi Chi commented as she sipped her tea. "What about you two?'

Vegita and Bulma glared at each other and Vegita said, "It will be interesting. Since we will be the only ones there."

"There's the objects." Chi Chi gestured to Yamcha.

"And how can you dance with a candle holder? He doesn't even have any legs!" Vegita boomed at the object.

"There are those with actual legs." Yamcha pointed out, sounding slightly hurt at the reminder of his curse.

"Hey! Be nice to Yamcha!" Chi Chi snapped as she slapped Vegita over the head.

"That's right! It's not Yamcha's fault that he's a candle holder!" Bulma screamed. **It's mine.**

"I'm not applogizing." Vegita said stubbornly.

"If you don't... no dessert..." Chi Chi threatened as she held an apple pie and hovered it in front of the Saiyan.

"Fine!" Vegita crossed his arms and said to Yamcha, "I'm sorry. Better?"

"Appology accepted." Yamcha said coldly as he took a deep breath. **I still don't believe that this egomaniac has any chance with Bulma.**

*****

"Okay, this way..." Goku said as he looked up to see Piccolo hovering while putting up the special banners and decorations. "Perfect!" Goku nodded, satisfied as he looked around. There were special decorations all over the place and the special lights had been set. "Now... for the music."

"Got it." Lunch said as she held a CD over her head with her tiny hands.

"Good... I'll go and get ready." Goku said as he walked away.

Chi Chi entered the basement. She was dressed in a long purple gown with her hair in a bun with a purple crown on her head that had a pair of small horns on the side. "I'm here... Vegita and Bulma are getting ready." She looked around and asked, "Where's Goku?"

"He's getting ready." Piccolo replied as he put on a pair of sunglasses and went to the music booth. "Remind me again why I'm being a DJ?"

"You have the best voice." Gohan said as he sat on the booth.

Chi Chi frowned slightly. How would a toy soldier get ready for a party? Perhaps he wanted to get shined or maybe put on a different outfit, if that was possible. "How can Goku get ready?"

"I need to put this on." A slightly mechanical voice replied.

Chi Chi turned around to see a six-foot-tall suit of armor walking toward her. It had a dark gray helmet with a pair of glowing red eyes that stared at her. Its arms were also dark gray, but its chest was blue with an orange circle that had four stars on it. Its legs were orange with dark boots. "Goku?"

"Hi... this is my suit to protect the castle with." Goku explained as he gestured. "I'm inside." The chest opened to reveal Goku sitting in a chair wearing a tiny headset.

"Oh..." Chi Chi nodded as she looked at the small soldier. "Bulma made that for you?"

"Yeah... I don't use it much since it takes up so much energy... and it isolates me from the others." Goku explained as he closed the chest. "I thought I could use it to... dance with you."

Chi Chi blushed as she looked down. "That's sweet of you. I'll dance with you on the first song."

Goku blinked as he nearly stumbled back. "Really?"

"Of course." Chi Chi nodded as she took Goku's 'hand'. "I'll dance with you."

"I... I don't know what to say." Goku confessed, "Except thanks."

"Well... I'm here." Vegita announced as he came in. He was dressed a blue coat with black pants. He had on a pair of bright white gloves, as always, and a pair of bright white boots. On his head was a golden grown and around his neck was a medallion. "Where's the recluse?" He looked at Goku and asked, "And who's he?"

"It's me, Goku, I'm using a special armor so I can dance with Chi Chi." Goku replied as he opened his chest plate.

Vegita scowled. "You wish to dance with him?" He asked Chi Chi.

"Why not? He's sweet and... very nice, unlike _some_ people I know."

Vegita grumbled and said, "Very well... I'm going to dance with the recluse... if she shows up!"

"I'm here." Bulma announced as she came in. She was dressed in a long green dress with long gloves and a scarf covering her snakes. "Hello."

"Glad you showed up." Vegita said smoothly as he took her hand. "I'd rather you spent the time repairing those machines, but..."

"I can dance. I'm an excellent dancer." She hissed as she glared at him and took her hand.

"Why don't we get this party started?" Yamcha said as he gestured to the crew. "Hit it!"

The lights dimmed around them. Goku reached out and took Chi Chi's hand. "Ready? I gotta warn you, I'm not that graceful in this."

"Don't worry, I'll be careful." Chi Chi said as she placed her hand on the suit's shoulder.

"Ready, woman?" Vegita asked as he held out his hand.

"Let's do it." Bulma vowed as she accepted.

Piccolo turned on the speakers and the music played.

^^Would you dance
If I asked you to dance?^^

Bulma and Vegita slowly started to dance. The woman grimaced as she felt Vegita's hand on her hip. It had been so long since anyone touched her like that.

^^Would you run
And never look back?^^

Goku nearly felt tears start to overwhelm him. He wanted to touch Chi Chi again. The only way he can dance with her was in a robot suit and it hurt.

^^Would you cry
If you saw me cryin'
Would you save my soul tonight?^^

Chi Chi trembled as she stared up at the glowing red eyes and she gently put her hand on the suit. The emptiness in her heart ached.

^^Would you tremble
If I touched your lips?
Would you laugh?
Oh please tell me this.
Now would you die
For the one you love?
Hold me in your arms tonight.^^

Vegita felt his heart quicken as Bulma leaned closer to him. Why was he blushing? Why should his heart speed up at her touch? Before he felt fascination towards her, but now he felt something else. Why should he feel so confused?

^^I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.^^

Goku stared down to see Chi Chi trembling. He reached up and gently wipe away a tear from her face. "I wish I could make it better, Chi Chi." He whispered as he moved his microphone away.

^^Would you swear
That you'll always be mine?
Would you lie?
Would you run a mile?^^

Vegita glanced at Chi Chi over his shoulder. His betrothed was getting overwhelmed at the music, as usual. He couldn't understand why the woman got emotional during dances but she didn't run away. She just closed in deeper next to Goku. It didn't bother him as much as it should.

^^Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
Well,I don't care you're here tonight.^^

Goku wondered how close he should be to her. He wanted her to remember everything, yet he knew that she couldn't. Should he stop trying? "I can't stop trying." He whispered.

^^I can be your hero baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.^^

Bulma never felt so close to anyone in so long. Her only companions in the last three years had been objects and animals, and they don't feel like Humans. Could Vegita be her hero? Could he break this curse?

^^Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
Well,I don't care you're here tonight.^^

Chi Chi felt her heart pound. Why is she feeling like this for a toy? It didn't make any sense. If Goku was flesh and blood and at least as tall as she, she could understand, but he's a toy. He had to use a tall set of armor just to dance with her, yet she didn't want to leave him. She couldn't.

^^I can be your hero baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away.^^

Vegita stared down at the woman in his arms. He wanted to help her for some reason. She was in pain and she locked herself away because of that. Why and for what reason was still a mystery for him. He didn't even know her true name. He would find out sooner or later.

^^You can take my breath away^^

The couples slowed down and stared at each other as the last line of the song was sung.

^^I can be your hero.^^

"Wow... that was fun." Goku said as he put his microphone back on.

"It was." Chi Chi smiled as tears ran down her face.

"Are you okay?" Goku asked concerned as he wiped away another tear.

"I'm fine. I... always get emotional when I dance. It's a fault of mine." Chi Chi confessed as she blushed.

"It doesn't seem like a fault." Goku confessed, "But if you want to stop dancing..."

"No! I'll dance." Chi Chi smiled at him.

Meanwhile just a few feet away...

Bulma and Vegita parted and Vegita said, "Not bad... you dance well for a recluse."

"And you dance well for an egotistical jerk." Bulma chided.

"Are you willing to go for another round?" Vegita smirked.

"I am if you are."

"Another song, Plushie!" Vegita bellowed.

"Right." Piccolo muttered as he took out another CD. "Are you sure those two are making progress?" He asked Yamcha who had extinguished his hand flames so he wouldn't melt the CDs or burn the combustible DJ.

"I think so... can't you feel the chemistry?" Yamcha asked as he smirked at the two.

"I'll say it before and I'll say it again... I'll never understand you Humans." Piccolo grunted as he put in another CD.

*****

The four danced for several hours. Finally, Chi Chi stopped dancing and left the party. Goku glanced at Bulma and Vegita, who were still dancing, and followed his wife.

Chi Chi sighed as she sat down on a chair and wiped her brow.

"Tired?" Goku asked as he sat down next to her. His suit's chest plate opened and Goku came out and climbed up onto his suit's shoulder.

"Yeah... that was fun though." Chi Chi confessed as she smiled, "You're a great dancer."

"Thanks..." Goku grinned as he patted his suit. "This suit really helps."

"I wish we could dance for real. I mean, when you're not the suit."

"Me too." Goku sighed as Chi Chi looked down. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine... just a little homesick." Chi Chi sighed, "I'm worried about my father."

"Oh... I don't blame you." Goku said as he frowned. "I got an idea. Follow me." Goku jumped down and ran down the hall.

Chi Chi followed the toy down the hall and then up the stairs. Finally, they came to the roof and Goku climbed up the surrounding wall and sat on the edge. Chi Chi sighed as she looked around at the night sky. "It's beautiful."

"Yes, I come here sometimes to think. It's the closest I can be to outside." Goku explained as he smiled. He pointed and said, "Look over there."

Chi Chi looked over the edge and saw a small flame in the distance. "Fire Mountain." Chi Chi whispered as she stared.

"Yeah... I look over there and no matter what, the flame keeps lit. Gives me hope." Goku explained as he stared over the horizon. "It never goes dark."

"I feel the same way." Chi Chi sighed as she smiled. "That mountain never burns out. Some call it the Eternal Flame of Hope."

"It is for us." Goku confided as he sat cross-legged.

Chi Chi stared at the flame in the distance. "It's beautiful. Thank you, Goku."

"No problem, I need to get back downstairs... do you wanna stay here?"

"Yes, I want to enjoy the night air." Chi Chi replied as she watched the fire. "Thank you. For everything."

"No problem." Goku jumped off of the ledge and ran downstairs, leaving Chi Chi alone with the stars.

To Be Continued...