Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Kaioshin Saga: Story 1: Silver Wishes ❯ Prologue: The Beginning ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Silver Wishes

Disclaimer: I do not own Dragon Ball Z or any of the Dragon Ball Z characters. They are owned by those who own them. I do, however, own the original characters (if any), and the fic all of this is in. That is all.

Author's Note: This fic will be written from Kibito's P.O.V., which means that it will be told in the first person view. So, if you are confused, just say so. Or try reading the part over again. ENJOY!

The wars had started centuries ago by the first founders of the planet. It started out as a meaningless squabble, no one taking anything seriously or taking sides. Then things started to grow worse over the course of time. The species began to build bigger weapons, ships, and whatnot, making it easier to move about or destroy things. The people began to choose sides, going on the beliefs they had been taught when they were younger. There were those, however, that remained quiet, going into the deep reaches of the planet so that they would be away from the fighting that would soon rack the planet as a whole. But, not even hiding would save their souls.

Suddenly, it was like a plague that swept through villages and towns, going from home to home until not one person had the feeling of fight in them. It only took several moments before families were torn apart by greed, hatred, and fear. Some managed to stay together, forever altered by what had happened, what was occurring, and what was about to happen.

There were even still some that had enough resources, and knowledge, to get ships off the planet. Those people were fortunate, allowing their children to escape the dangers that were upon their home planet. Others kept their children there, refusing to pare with them even if it meant taking their own blood. They would not allow such a thing to happen to what was left of their lives. They were despised after that, their own sisters and brothers refusing to speak to those that damned their own flesh and blood to a hellish grave. This only deepened the conflict, which was rising as it boiled over.

This is the tale of one such person that stayed upon his planet. One that was yanked from his reality, and into the unknown universe. How he saw things, and how his life would never be the same.

Prologue: The Beginning

The banging of people was enough to keep anyone awake. The sounds of cannons and whatnot was deafening, unbearable to the slightest extent. But I was used to it by now. I mean, the fighting, the wars, the constant nagging fear that, one day, I could be next. It was nothing, really. Just something that was part of my life. I couldn't do anything about it, and nothing good would ever come out of the fact that I had the chances to leave the planet or die. And I would chose death over leaving. I guess that is my eight year-old mind talking for me. Again.

I'm not what you call a 'happy child'. I never was. Even as a baby, there was nothing good for me to know. I hardly was able to enjoy what little childhood I had, if you want to call it that. Ever since I could remember, the wars, the fighting, the hatred---everything---were the only things that I have known. Except for the things that I have taught myself in secret. I could never tell the people around me that I had powers beyond that of any mortal that thrived on the planet. If I did, I'd be an even bigger freak then I am now. And that is saying something.

I'm not like the other people in my village. We are of the same species, of course, that has whitish hair, pink skin, and a kind of tone to us that would make people look the other way. But, I'm tall for my age, and my hair isn't as short as the other boy's that are still alive. My hair is longer then it should be, and I don't want it any other way. In fact, I like it like that. It gives me a feeling that I am different when I really don't want to be. that's not the problem, and not something I'd tell everyone. I don't know what it is, ,but I feel different from the others. Like there is something that is missing, yet I can't put my finger on it. I guess, when I am older, I'll figure it out. Eventually.

There was no time to figure out my emotions as I laid in my bed, which only consisted of a mattress, a pillow, and a single blanket, my eyes staring straight up at the dark ceiling of my room. I had my hands behind my head since the pillow barely had enough 'fluff' to it, a sigh escaping my lips. This had been the only home that I had known, and the only place I wanted to be. There was something that had come up that my parents had told me, and the rest of my family, which was two brothers and a sister. And it was on the lines of 'Get out or we die'. Something I didn't want to do just yet.

I rolled over onto my side, unable to get to sleep. There were shots firing into the air outside the brick house that I called home, cries and swears being shouted everywhere. I squeezed my eyes shut, placing a hand upon my free ear to try to get the sounds out of my head. It wouldn't work, I know, but at least I could try to a extent. The sounds of war kept coming, not stopping to allow those who wanted to get some sleep to do so. It was just an endless array of light and sound.

I hated this. all the worrying that was going on wasn't something that I wanted to feel as it flowed into my body. I didn't want to feel the hatred that I had felt from some of the other people in the village, and the fear that came from the rest. I was tired of having to hide every time something major came up. I just wanted to have a normal life. That is, if I even knew what 'normal' was. I knew, for a face, that it was something that I would never feel anytime soon.

****

I had stayed up for the rest of the night, the morning rays coming through the single window that allowed light and darkness to come into the bare room that I was in. I had mostly huddled in the corner, the blanket that I had was wrapped around me for the little protection that it gave me. I was ready to fall asleep several times, my eyes drooping down as my head came down upon my raised knees. Then a blast from outside would awaken me, and I would jolt back up into the reality of it all. There was no rest for me at that moment.

I sighed, taking the blanket off of my body as I stood up upon the mattress. A gurgling sound came from my stomach, a pang of hunger going through me like a drop of water going into the river. I didn't rush out of the room so that I could beg my parents for food. There was no used asking for a luxury of that sort. No, I had to fight for that early meal, and it wasn't something I was about to do as I walked slowly towards the half broken door of my room. There was no use of opening anything in the house without ease, and the door to my room was one of them. I had found that the better way of doing things was to do it slowly, and keep your mind focused on that thing alone.

I put my hand on the tarnished brass handle, my eyes closing for a moment before I opened them again. I then placed my other hand upon it, pulling the broken door towards me with all the strength that I had in me. It took several moments for me to do so before the door actually opened, revealing what was on the other side. Barely anything execpt for a hallway, and a sheet for a door. Behind the sheet laid my parents room, which was in the same condition that mine was in. Empty execpt for a single bed. Besides these two rooms, there was one other bedroom that my older siblings shared with me being the only one who got his own room. The rest of the house consisted of a single bathroom, a living room, and a small kitchen. Nothing really big, but enough to keep us alive and happy.

I could hear voices from the living room, which were muffled to my pulsing ears. I peeked from around the corner as I placed a hand upon the door frame. I couldn't see who was out there, my curiosity coming over me as I moved from my room, and into the hallway. I slid slowly across the right wall, the voices becoming louder as I got closer. I bit my lower lip as I peered into the living room to see my mother standing in front of my older brother, he hands on her hips as he had his arms crossed over his chest.

"I can not believe you are going to do such a thing to us," She furrowed with anger.

"There isn't much you can do about it. I don't have much of a choice even," My brother retorted back.

"Yes, you do. You don't have to do this."

"If I don't then what? You're going to send me, and the rest of us, off world? Father wouldn't allow it."

"I have my ways, son, and they are some pretty good ones."

"I won't allow anything to happen to myself. I promise."

"That's what you're uncle said before he went into this," My mother said, a hint of pain in her voice. I noted the silence after that was the moment to come into the living room, and into the conversation. Neither one noticed that I was there, their eyes locked in a glare towards each other. I looked at each one, my voice also silent. I didn't want to break the silence that was there, but I also didn't want to keep it going. I took another step into the living room, almost right into the middle of it.

"Um..." I said softly, my eyes going to the ground as I placed my hands behind my back. "Who's turn is it to get breakfast?"

"Huh?" My mother asked, my eyes raising up innocently as I noticed that her gaze had shifted down to me. There was a hint of surprise on her face as her lips moved to speak. "Oh, Kibito. How much did you hear?"

"Only a little bit. I heard voices, and I wanted to see who was out there," I looked over at my brother, who had turned his head away. "What's going on?"

"Nothing's wrong, sweetie. Me and your brother just had an argument. It's nothing you should be worried about."

"Mother, he may be a child, but he's not stupid. He's been living in this hell for eight years now, and you'd think he'd know what was going on by now."

I knew something was going on, but I didn't know why it was happening. Someone told me months ago that the wars started a long time ago, and it was when our race first came to the planet. Whoever told me didn't know why it started or when the wars broke out. All they knew was that there probably be no end to what was going on.

"I am not going to say anything. Things are hard enough as it is with the wars at our doorstep. You know, this wouldn't have happened if they hadn't come," My mother said bitterly, her eyes glazing over with anger. I backed up, fear expressing itself on my face for a moment before it disappeared just as quickly as it came. All I wanted was some breakfast, and what I got was more noise. I knew things weren't at their best at this point in time, but what could I do? Food was becoming more scarce these days, with the wards going on, and that made it worse then what it already was.

"You know what? I am just going to leave so that things will be easier for you. That way, you can shield Kibito from the truth that I've been trying to show him," My brother growled as he turned his head forwards and stomped past mother.

And what truth is that?" She demanded, spinning around. My brother stopped walking, his arms dropping to his sides.

"That life is no good without love, whether or not it is for someone in our family or outside it. That, no matter where we go on this planet, the wars will still find us. That running away is worse then death," With those words, he stomped out the open door, and into the air that awaited him.

"Come back!" I cried out, tears stinging at my eyes. I dropped by arms, my body starting to move towards the direction my brother had gone. Before I had the chance to go far, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back. That's when I started to cry, my arms flailing wildly with anger. "Let me go! I want to go after him! He can't go!"

"Let him go, Kibito. Just let him go," My mother whispered into my ear as I continued to struggle. "There is nothing we can do about it. It is his life, not ours."

"Where is he going?" I sniffed, my struggling fading slowly.

"He's going to join the wars. He is tired of standing on the outskirts while people are fighting for us."

"What will father say?"

"I don't know. I really don't know."

****

I didn't get my breakfast that morning. Things didn't get better, either. Instead, the fighting outside became worse then what it had been an hour before, making my mother round up my sister and remaining brother from their sleep. She then herded us into the bathroom, the only place in the house that had a workable door. We huddled on the floor in the darkness, the only light coming from under the door. I could tell that they were scared, and so was I. I didn't show it, though. It was useless to do so.

I could easily hide my emotions, allowing them to show every so often. There were a few times when those same emotions would come out anyways, whether or not I wanted them to. I didn't see a point in allowing yourself to be controlled by such petty things, especially in times like this. The only way to go through life is to take it like you are going to die at any moment, and try not to let emotions get in the way. It isn't worth the effort to show such things towards someone if you know you are going to lose them anyways.

"When can we get out of her? I'm cramped," I complained irritably as I sat next to my mother, my sister crying softly next to me with my brother whimpering from on the other side of my mother.

"I know you are, honey, but this is the safest place in the house. We'll be able to leave once the fighting is over with," She said softly. I could tell that she was trying to hold back her own fear with no such luck.

"The fighting will never be over with so we might as well see what death awaits us."

"Kibito! Why are you acting this way? You've never said anything like that before!"

"Because there is no use hiding anymore," I replied heatedly. "Why do we have to hide anyways? It is becoming pointless."

"Because your father has to hide us. It's for our protection."

"I don't want to hide anymore," I protested loudly.

"I don't either," My sister quipped up. I figured my brother would say something to add to what has been said, yet the sounds from outside became more intense. I felt my sister grab onto me, and bury her head into my shoulder. I tried not to roll my eyes at this, but it was hard to do.

"Is this over yet?" I snapped loud enough so that everyone could hear yet soft enough so that my voice didn't echo off the walls of the room.

"Kibito, be quiet. We'll be out of here soon. Just be patient. Try to fall asleep if you want the time to go by faster," Mother growled lowly. I shrugged at the thought, which was pretty good since I didn't have much sleep the night before. And the hunger pains were beginning to go away despite the fact that I still didn't have anything to eat.

Perhaps taking a nap wouldn't be so bad after all.

To Be Continued....