Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Life And Times of 18 ❯ Independence Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer-If these characters showed up in the TV show, they are not mine.

Summary-The Life And Times Of 18

NOTE-18 WILL BE REFERRED TO AS IRISA. 17 WILL BE REFERRED TO AS NATHAN.

Independence Day

Well, she seemed all right by dawn's early light

Though she looked a little worried and weak

She tried to pretend he wasn't drinking again

But Daddy left the proof on her cheek

Irisa and Nathan both watched their mother, Sarah, with her blonde hair pulled up in a messy bun, fumbling with the dishes and breaking more than she was cleaning. Her cheeks were slightly bruised and she seemed petrified that her husband would come down the stairs.

"Stop staring at me!" she finally snapped at her twin children.

The two flinched. "Sorry, Mama," they said in unison, and slunk out of the kitchen and out the front door.

I was only 8 years old that summer

And I always seemed to be in the way

So I took myself down to the fair in town

On Independence Day

"You wanna go to the 4th of July fair?" Nathan asked his sister.

"Sure," Irisa said, taking his hand. The two headed off in that direction.

Every head turned towards them as they walked into the fair grounds. "It's the Hanson kids," one woman whispered to her friend.

"Isn't their father that drunkard?"

"Yeah. I don't know why their mother doesn't just divorce him."

Well, word gets around in a small, small town

They said he was a dangerous man

But Mama was proud and she stood her ground

She knew she was on the losing end

The people continued to talk about the kids but refused to talk directly to them. Even the stall-holders ignored them.

"Excuse me?" Nathan said to the stall-holder in front of the Whack-The-Mole booth.

The stall-holder bit his lip and looked away, and started calling out to more customers.

The same thing happened at every other booth until Irisa was so mad that she would've thrown an energy blast if she knew how at that time.

Some folks whispered, some folks talked

But everybody looked the other way

That's why nobody noticed them until smoke began rising over the blue sky.

When time ran out, there was no one about

On Independence Day

"Fire!" someone shouted, running into the nearest house to call 911.

Let freedom ring

Let the white doves sing

Let the whole world know that today

Is a day of reckoning

Irisa and Nathan felt a surge of icy fear lurch in their stomachs as they ran back to their house, legs pumping in sync against the hard soil. "Oh, God, no!" Irisa prayed as she ran.

Let the weak be strong

Let the right be wrong

Roll that stone away

Let the guilty pay

It's Independence Day

Irisa and Nathan made it to the house first and stopped in their tracks. Their shingled roof was collapsing onto the second floor, shooting the flames all around. The fire was on the first floor when the fire truck pulled up. By that time, the roar of the flames was drowned by the twins' screaming.

Well, she lit up the sky

That 4th of July

By the time that the firemen come

The police pulled up with them. Before the twins knew what was happening, the police took them by the arms and dragged them away, despite their kicking and screaming.

"Mama! Daddy!" Irisa sceeched.

They just put out the flames

And took down some names

And sent me to the county home

Irisa and Nathan attended the funeral, and then they were packed off to the local orphanage to the next chapter in the lives.

Now I ain't saying it's right or it's wrong

But maybe it's the only way

Talk about your revolution

It's Independence Day

Let freedom ring

Let the white doves sing

Let the whole world know that today

Is a day of reckoning

Let the weak be strong

Let the right be wrong

Roll that stone away

Let the guilty pay

It's Independence Day

They were dropped off at the orphanage porch. The police man took off, and the lady in charge stepped out. "Get in," she ordered, practically kicking them inside and slamming the door shut.

Roll that stone away

"Happy 4th of July," the lady said snidely. "Now clean that mess!"

Independence Day

Well? You like? Just review, K?