Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Life And Times of 18 ❯ Broken Wing ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer-Is my name Martina Mcbride? No. Is my name Akira Toriyama? I certainly hope not! So, I don't own the song or the show. Got it?

Broken Wing

Irisa and Nathan settled into their new home in Massachusetts. Despite their anti-sociality, they made close friends with the Anderson's son, Will. Will's hair was orange and his eyes blue, like theirs. He was reserved and shy, but had a good sense of humor.

If only Will had gotten that from his father as well as his mother.

Thomas Anderson was pure evil.

Irisa saw a minuscule part of his evil nature one morning at breakfast.

"Hi, honey," Lily said to her husband happily as she glided into the kitchen.

No response.

She loved him like he was

The last man on Earth

Gave him everything she ever had

"Thomas, how do you want your coffee?" she asked, going for the pot.

"Like you could make coffee," Thomas scoffed, grabbing the coffee grounds out of her hands.

He'd break her spirit down

"Thomas!" Lily exclaimed.

"Besides, I wouldn't want your hands in the dirty coffee grounds," he said, winking at her.

Then come a-loving up on her

Give a little

And take it back

"Well, anyway, the company thinks they can sell that 22-acre land for 13,000 dollars at least and 18,000 at most. It would really help our company. We could buy some more land to sell."

"I doubt that. No one on Earth would buy that land."

She'd tell him 'bout her dreams

And he'd just shoot them down

Lord, he loved to make her cry

Lily, trying not to lose her composure, changed the subject. "Irisa, won't you get out that Bible?"

"Yeah, whatever," Irisa said, getting off her chair and towards the bookshelf. Straining her ears, she caught the conversation between her foster parents.

"I'd love to fly like the angels do," Lily said dreamily. "I want to fly some day."

"Yeah, right," Thomas scoffed. "You know that only angels can fly."

"You're crazy for believing

You'll ever leave the ground,"

He said "Only angels

Know how to fly"

That was it. Lily broke down crying and left the kitchen for their bedroom.

"What?" Thomas shouted after her. "You know I'm right!"

And with a broken wing

She still sings

She keeps an eye

On the sky

With a broken wing

She carries her dreams

Man you oughtta

See her fly

The days passed. Similar scenes started to pop up all around the house, especially when Thomas had been out drinking all night. Lily wore sunglasses to hide the bruises around her eyes. The house was filled with their yelling, holes were punched in walls, glass shattered when he threw her against windows. Irisa, Nathan, and Will would huddle under the covers in Irisa's bed. Nathan was too scared to be smug that it was not love, as Irisa hoped, but hate that had saved them.

And it was worst for Irisa when Thomas could not get sex out of Lily. He would then try to go to her. But her 9-year-old body could not respond to him. He would then throw her on the floor and leave for some cheap hooker in a bar to sell herself to him.

Face it, Thomas was not a bad-looking man.

One Saturday night, Lily opened the door to Irisa's room. "Irisa?" she said quietly.

"Yeah?" Irisa was on the verge of sleep and didn't feel like talking. Thomas had tried to achieve intercourse with her but had failed miserably, and he had slapped her and left in a huff.

"I came to say good-bye."

"You mean good-night," Irisa corrected automatically, burying her face in the pillows.

"Yes, of course. Good-night." Lily closed the door.

"Where is Lily!" Thomas howled, slamming open Irisa's door. "Where has she gone?"

Groggily, Irisa looked at her clock. 10: 30. "She should be at the church, shouldn't she?"

"The car's still in the driveway," Thomas yelled. "She's just disappeared!"

One Sunday morning

She didn't go to church

He wondered why she didn't leave

Irisa's mind jolted and she started from the bed. "She came in last night and told me good-bye. I thought she meant good-night." Irisa blew past Thomas and into his bedroom, he following her.

He went up to the bedroom

Found a note by the window

Irisa breathlessly ran to the window. Brushing the curtains aside, she looked down to the backyard.

With the curtains blowing

In the breeze

She fell to her knees and vomited on the floor.

And with a broken wing

She still sings

She keeps an eye

On the sky

Irisa and Nathan attended their second funeral before they were even 10 years old.

"You must feel so sad," the preacher said to Irisa when the funeral was over and Lily was seen into the family mausoleum.

"Not really," Irisa said simply.

"Oh?" The preacher looked at her with question eyes. "Why not?"

"She hated life anyway," was the reply. "Thomas treated her like dirt."

With a broken wing

She carries her dreams

Man, you oughtta see her fly

With a broken wing

She carries her dreams

Man you oughtta see her

Fly

Two days later, Irisa was awoken by her door slamming open. It was Thomas.

"Yeah?" Irisa said, trying desperately to hide her fear from the burning rage in his eyes, fueled by drunkenness.

"You knew she was going to kill herself," Thomas growled

"No, I didn't," Irisa said, trying to calm him down.

"Don't lie to me, brat!" he screamed, walking towards the bed.

"Why would I lie?" she asked.

"Shut up!" he screamed at her. He reached over, got a handful of her hair, and wrenched her out of the bed.

"What are you doing?" she screeched.

"Giving you what you deserve, you lying, ungrateful 3#$%!" He half-lifted her off the ground and rammed his foot in her stomach.

Her eyes flew open as she choked on her own breath, spitting up saliva and food.

Thomas's rage swelled as she choked up onto his pants leg. He tightened his grip on her hair and swung her into the dresser headfirst.

Irisa lost all consciousness while he continued to beat on her till dawn.

I had a hard time writing this chapter, trying to catch the severity of it.

REVIEW!!