Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ There's Always Hope ❯ Saiyans And School ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer-I still don't own DBZ.

A/N: Ages are all the same, but the date is now September 5th.

Saiyans and School

"I don't see why we have to go to Earth school," Vegeta muttered.

"Because I don't want you to be stupid," Master Roshi said, herding Kakarot, Vegeta, Krillin, Chichi, and Launch into the local school.

Master Roshi talked to the receptionist about registration while the 5 waited. Finally, he turned to them. "This is where I take off. Follow this pretty young lady, and you'll get to your class."

"Everyone, we have some new students joining us," the 4th grade teacher, Mr. Cuff, said. "These three are Chichi King, Krillin Chestnut, and Launch Aleera. Please, have a seat."

"And us?" Vegeta snapped.

"Class," Mr. Cuff said. "These two are Saiyans."

That was it. He didn't even give the class their names. Vegeta scoffed in disgust at such poor treatment and Kakarot was suppressing his anger. "And where do we sit?" Vegeta asked irritably.

Mr. Cuff looked around. "Wherever, I don't care."

Of course, there were no seats.

"Um, Mr. Cuff, there are no more empty desks left," Kakarot said.

But Mr. Cuff wasn't even listening.

"Come on, Kakarot," Vegeta spat. He grabbed Kakarot's arm and tossed him in the air. "Just levitate."

Kakarot stopped himself from falling and straightened himself in mid-air. "Don't do that!" he hissed.

"I'll do whatever I <Bleep> well please," Vegeta growled, jumping off the ground to levitate as well.

It was the most boring thing the two Saiyans had ever had to sit through. Both of them had gone to Kindergarten and the beginnings of 1st grade back on Vegetasei before they were captured, and they both began to chalk up the differences. First of all, classes were held outside in the open air, not inside a stuffy classroom. On Vegetasei, the teacher didn't ignore them. And on Vegetasei, the teachers didn't talk down about the Earthlings as Earth did about the Saiyans.

"The traders have crossed space to get to Vegetasei, a planet without Earth's advanced technology," Mr. Cuff said, pulling down a map of the universe on the chalkboard. "Vegetasei's inhabitants are called the Saiyans. They are a rather uncivilized bunch lacking knowledge. They prefer to spend their days fighting and gathering food like nomads. Their school system is similar to ours, but it is inferior. The Saiyans neglect brain power for their muscles. That's why they were so easily captured and taken to Earth."

He was talking as if the prince and the son of the top protectors of that 'uncivilized, stupid bunch' were not in his classroom listening to his every word!

Vegeta glared. Snatching a piece of paper and a pencil from a nearby desk, he scribbled something on it, folded the paper, and passed it to Kakarot. Kakarot unfolded it and read it. It was a mix of Saiyan and Earth words:

"The sensei [teacher] must be yopparai [drunk]!"

Kakarot tried to suppress a laugh, but to no avail. Mr. Cuff's eyes snapped to the young Saiyan. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," Kakarot lied.

"Give me that note," Mr. Cuff said, extending his hand and glaring at Kakarot.

Kakarot slowly descended and shuffled down the aisle towards the teacher, opening his palm to show the scrunched-up note. Mr. Cuff snatched it from his hand, read it over, and glared at him.

"And what does 'sen-see' and 'yopp-a-ray' mean?"

"Actually, it's pronounced 'sen-say' and yopp-a-rye," Kakarot corrected.

"I don't care how's its pronounced, brat!" Mr. Cuff screamed. "Just tell me what it means!"

Kakarot flinched as the yelling echoed in his super-sensitive Saiyan ears. "It means 'the teacher must be drunk'."

"Did you write this?"

"No, sir."

"Who did?"

Silence.

"I asked, who did?" Mr. Cuff's voice was rising now.

"I did," Vegeta spoke up, smirking at the enraged teacher. "And I'm proud of it, too!" He stuck out his tongue, full off youthful pride.

"You did, huh?" Mr. Cuff said, his eyes glittering with anger. "And why would I be drunk?"

"'Cause you're talking down about the Saiyans," Kakarot spoke up again.

Mr. Cuff's eyes averted their gaze back to Kakarot. "Why shouldn't I?" he demanded. "Is it false that they have no Earth technology?"

"No, it's true," Kakarot said, shaking his head. "But Saiyans are people too. And we have as much right as you Earthlings have…"

"QUIET!"

Everyone in the classroom flinched, and both Saiyans covered their ears to stop the ringing in their heads.

"Go back to your seat!" Mr. Cuff snapped at Kakarot. "And I better not get anymore trouble from you, or I know where the whip is!"

"Ooh, scary," Vegeta mumbled sarcastically, but Mr. Cuff didn't hear him.

To everyone's happiness, the lunch bell finally rang. The whole class stampeded out the door, down the hall, and outside.

"Master Roshi gave me this weird little thing," Kakarot said, holding up a pinky-sized capsule that had the number 34 typed on it. "He said it had our lunches in it."

"Kakarot," Chichi said, sitting down next to him on the pavement. "Just press that button and toss it on the ground."

Kakarot followed her instructions. The capsule shook on the ground, and then, with a pop and a puff of smoke, opened to reveal five bags.

"What kind of magic is that?" Vegeta questioned, picking up the capsule and looking at it.

"It's not magic, it's technology!" a preppy, cheerful voice said from behind them.

"Bulma!" Chichi squealed. "I didn't know you went to this school!"

"Yep!" a blue-haired girl said, sitting down next to Chichi with her own bag. "I'm in Mrs. Zim's class. Who do you have?"

"Mr. Cuff," Chichi answered. She leaned over and picked up a bag. "Go ahead guys, that's our lunch."

"Who's everyone?" Bulma asked, opening up her bag and taking a bite out of a sandwich.

"Bulma, these are Krillin, Launch, Kakarot, and Vegeta," Chichi introduced, pointing to everyone as she named them. "Guess what! Kakarot and Vegeta are Saiyans!"

"Really!" Bulma gasped, looking at the aforementioned boys. "Cool! I never met someone from Vegetasei before!"

"Yeah, and Vegeta is their prince!"

"Oh my God!" Bulma gasped. "Wow! How'd you wind up on Earth?"

"Long story," Kakarot said, also reaching into his bag and pulling out a sandwich.

"Which we don't wanna talk about," Vegeta said, dumping the contents of the bag on the pavement before picking up the sandwich and starting to eat.

"Ew!" Bulma yelped. "How can you eat that? It's dirty!"

"Hey, we've eaten fruit right off the tree," Kakarot said, swallowing his food. "Speaking of which, those peaches up there look really good…" Leaving the group, he levitated off the ground and glided to the peach tree in the school-yard.

"What are you doing?" an imperious voice demanded.

Kakarot looked down to see a black-haired, black-eyed boy glaring up at him. "Getting fruit," he answered simply. "Here, want one?" Kakarot plucked off a peach and tossed it to the boy.

"No, I meant what's a Saiyan doing in this school?"

"My master enrolled me here," Kakarot said, gathering some peaches. Biting into one, he descended to face the boy. "I'm Kakarot. Who're you?"

"Yamcha," the boy replied.

"Hey, Yamcha!" Bulma yelled from a few feet away.

"Bulma!" Yamcha called back.

"Come sit over here!" Bulma waved her arm frantically.

Yamcha and Kakarot joined the small troupe of 4th-graders.

"Where's Mai?" Bulma asked.

"Different lunch period," Yamcha said, shrugging.

"Who's Mai?" Kakarot asked.

"My twin sister," Yamcha said. (A/N: Does anyone else ever think they could be related? They look a lot alike)

"A twin?" Vegeta cocked his head. "Are twins common on this planet?"

"Yeah," Bulma said. "Why? You don't have twins on Vegetasei?"

"It's rare," Kakarot said, "but I had a twin, Turles. We were the only twins in our entire village."

"My father says that because most Saiyan women can only have one baby at a time, their planet is less populated that ours," Yamcha said. "That's what made it easy to track down Saiyans and capture them."

"How would he know all that?" Vegeta said, eyeing Yamcha.

"He's in the trade."

Both Saiyans stopped eating and stared at him. It suddenly got very quiet.

"My father says that…the only good Saiyan is one in the trade," Yamcha said.

"I figured as much," Vegeta said angrily.

"Slave trucker!" someone yelled from across the yard.

The troupe looked up as the other children started running to the fence. The Earthlings in the group got up and followed them, and the Saiyans trailing listlessly behind.

A brown truck was driving by the yard. On the board attached to it, a few adult Saiyans were sitting on bales of hay, talking quietly.

A female Saiyan turned her head to the school-yard to glare at the children who taunted her from behind the chain fence.

That's when Kakarot saw her.

Her hair, which had been a lovely mix if black and silver, had been cut short, and the sheen of it had dulled into normal black. She carried herself differently, and she seemed beaten and downtrodden. But the face, the eyes, they were same. The memories…they were coming back to him…

Kakarot hoisted himself over the fence and started running after the truck.

"Mama!"

That's chapter 5. The next chapter is going to be heartbreaking, so bring a tissue.

Note-Do you know why I put 'Mama' down as a Saiyan word? Well, if you watch Tenchi the Movie II: The Daughter of Darkness in the sub version, you'll see the Mayuka once refers to her mother as 'Mama'. It's an international word, so I put it down as Saiyan.

Enough of that…

REVIEW!!