Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Variations of Fate ❯ Despair ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

King Vegeta paced the throne room, pointer finger and thumb rubbing his chin in a thoughtful action, a frown marring his chiseled features. Abruptly he stopped pacing and turned towards the man standing beside his throne.

"Salrud, what should I do? Lord Frieza wishes to train my son, but the people of Vegetasei would not approve and bring another rebellion. However, if I do not meet Frieza's request, he will destroy Vegetasei. My son is the only offspring my queen produced, but an heir can be replaced. My people cannot. We are not yet enough of a match against the power of Lord Frieza and King Cold, and they would not see that. And if we were to fall into a civil war, Frieza would surely attack us."

Salrud nodded. So his king had thought of many of the same solutions he had. He cleared his throat, "Yes, sire, but Prince Vegeta is not truly replaceable. He has the potential to fulfill the legend of the Super Saiyan. However, you are right that your people are not replaceable. You must send Prince Vegeta to be trained by Lord Frieza and his men, but he must have a contingent of Saiyan guards with him," he paused, and when the King nodded he continued, "However, they must be told not to provoke Lord Frieza or King Cold. That could prove dangerous for all of us, and especially the prince. He is one of the strongest Saiyans yet, but he is no match for Lord Frieza's wrath," he gave a respectful genuflect bow and lowered head, waiting for King Vegeta's response.

The King's frown deepened and he fidgeted with his cape, motioning for Salrud to rise with his other hand, "Yes, Salrud, that seems to be the only solution," he signaled to one of the palace guards, "Have my son brought to me."

When the man left, Salrud cleared his throat. Vegeta raised an eyebrow at him, "Yes?"

"After three years under our control, the humans are still causing trouble. They are rebelling against our forces on Chikyuu. Perhaps we should send new personal."

"Hmm. We will send someone else there, perhaps Kelry or Okren. I want Nappa especially for my son's guard. The man's an idiotic brute, but he will protect Prince Vegeta and he will follow orders. I don't trust Frieza's henchman, Zarbon."

Salrud nodded, writing everything in Saiyan lettering.

The main door creaked open, and Prince Vegeta walked through; despite his youth and lack of stature, it was obvious he was overbearing and possibly overpowering. He knelt briefly before his father and stood up, his dark eyes glinting angrily. "Why are you sending me to Lord Frieza?" the young prince demanded. "It is the only way to keep him from destroying Vegetasei."

"I could destroy him easily!"

"No. You are not yet strong enough."

"Frieza is a weakling! He --"

"You will refer to him as Lord Frieza. He is cowardly and dishonorable, but no weakling. Train with him; you will learn more than you could on Vegetasei," King Vegeta fixed a glare on his son that would have frightened and silenced anyone. Salrud coughed politely and turned away.

"I don't --"

"You are dismissed."

"No one dismisses me!" the prince growled.

King Vegeta stood up, glaring down at his son, "I dismissed you, and I will do it again if I must. You will leave now. Make one of those worthless humans pack for you."

Prince Vegeta growled under his breath and stomped out of the chamber.

"I believe Lord Frieza's first lesson may be on respect," Salrud said dryly.

Vegeta shot his adviser a look that quelled anything else the man may have wanted to say. "I believe you are correct. However, I will not have my son spoken of in such a manner."

Salrud lowered his head. "I apologize, sire."

"Come now, we must choose Vegeta's guards."


A few days later, all was assembled for Prince Vegeta's departure, though the King and his son had not yet made an appearance. This did not worry Frieza, who floated leisurely around in his chair, taking an occasion or two to snap out criticism and orders to his indolent crew while he swished his tail in agitation.

"You there!" Frieza called out. The man in question gave him a blank look. "Yes you! Get to work! I want to leave as soon as King Vegeta arrives with his son!" his lips curled into a sneer, "ZARBON!"

Instantly the blue-green skinned alien appeared at Frieza's side, kneeling respectfully, "Yes, Lord Frieza?"

"Make sure these idiots pack everything quickly. I must greet the fool and his brat if they arrive," he raised his voice so everyone could hear, "You have my permission to kill anyone who does not."

"Yes, Lord Frieza," Zarbon smirked and sauntered off, barking out orders.

Frieza lowered his chair and stepped out onto the ground. Something in the distance caught his eye. So, the Vegeta's have finally decided to make an appearance.

The King and Prince landed in front of Frieza. King Vegeta inclined his head respectfully, while Prince Vegeta simply scowled.

"Vegeta, what a pleasure to see you so soon," he gave a feral smile to the elder, completely ignoring the prince. King Vegeta gave a brief smile, but Prince Vegeta's permanent scowl deepened. Finally, Frieza turned to him, smirking.

"My, what a scowl you've developed," it was a remark meant to anger the younger Vegeta, and it hit its mark well. Vegeta growled under his breath, but stopped when his father raised an eyebrow to warn him against it. Frieza smirked, "So are you ready to leave?"

Prince Vegeta glared at him, but nodded, "I am."

"Good, then I'll show you where you will be staying," he smirked again, "Your guards are already in place, and we will be meeting Nappa en route to Chikyuu."

It was King Vegeta's turn to scowl. He did not want Frieza or his men anywhere near Chikyuu or its natives. Frieza would criticize Saiyan activities and report those to King Cold. That was probably the least of his worries though.

"Follow me, Prince Vegeta," Frieza stepped back onto his chair and motioned for the young Saiyan to follow. Vegeta turned around to look at his father, narrowing his eyes menacingly.

I will return, father, the prince thought to himself because he dared not speak his thoughts. One day you'll be sorry for sending me with Frieza!

King Vegeta watched his son follow Lord Frieza, I should never have agreed to send him. He will hate me, and come back and kill me. A King not fully capable of ruling with wisdom will rule my people.


As the ship took off, Frieza and Zarbon sneered at the disappearing Vegetasei landscape. They had the Prince in their grasp and they would make sure he did not survive long enough to return to Vegetasei.

"There will be an accident, Zarbon, which you must construct," Frieza smirked, "An accident that will kill the brat."

"Lord Frieza, if I may," Zarbon asked respectfully, bowing his head though his lips twitched with the barest smirk, "Perhaps it would be better if we controlled the Prince, so that when he returns to Vegetasei he is little more than a puppet for your Empire. Do with him and his people as you please -- the Saiyan have a blood-thirst that few other races have."

Frieza emitted a sinister chuckle, "Yes, Zarbon. Yes, that would be fun, wouldn't it? The monkey prince, dragged round by his tail."