Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Veil ❯ Brokfest ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm back with another chapter! Thank you for the reviews on the previous chapter. Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

***************************************************************< /div>

Growling he looked away from the beautiful female, "A word of advice, avoid the King at all costs if you don't want to become his whore. Follow me please."

***************************************************************< /div>

Bulma felt her throat begin to constrict as she made her way down the vast extent of the palace hallways. She found it difficult to keep up with Bardock's fast pace, he seemed as though he was in a great rush. She looked around in awe at the beautiful sculptures positioned carefully. Antiques paintings were hung from the walls, giving the slightly eery Tudor effect. One portrait was particularly disturbing, it portrayed a large Saiya-jin with flame-like hair standing tall and proud amongst a sea of dead bodies. Her father's voice echoed in her mind.

~Hide your beauty Bulma. If these Saiya-jins catch on to your hot tempered attitude and appearance, they will stop at nothing to break your spirit.~

So engrossed by her surroundings, Bulma found herself crashing straight into the prominent back of Bardock. He turned around to face her with a slight look of annoyance gracing his otherwise stoic features.

Bulma bit her lip and ducked her head, "Sorry, I didn't mean to zone out."

Bardock narrowed his eyes at the tiny female, taking in the detail of her porcelain skin. "Be careful on where you choose to 'zone out' Ms. Briefs."

Bulma took a deep breath and nodded in understanding. She tried to think so another thing to say, but found herself stumped. She raised her eyebrow as she noticed that Bardock had not moved from his current position.

Bardock hid a smirk as he noticed the Earthling's ever growing curiosity. He turned to the wall and pulled down the lever of the torch carrier.

Bulma frowned.

Noticing the frown, Bardock spoke, "The best thing about living in a palace is the innumerable secret passageways. If you ever want to escape from something terrifying then I suggest you learn where all of these passages are." The gruffness in his voice made Bulma jump.

Part of the wall slid open, to reveal another long passageway. Bulma noted that there were a number of doors in this passageway. Bardock stopped at one of the small doors. It seemed rather hilarious that such a large man could actually fit in such a tiny passageway.

He cleared his throat, trying to receive Bulma's attention, "This is the servant's quarter. You are to stay here," he said, pointing to the first door on the right and tossing her the electronic key to her room.

Bulma caught the key with ease, "Where do you stay?"

Bardock clenched his jaw, obviously angry at the question. "I reside five doors down from here. I never used to live on the palace grounds but, the King demanded that alter my living situation."

"If you don't mind me saying so sir, you don't seem like a servant.." The look on his face made Bulma almost feel sorry for the old man.

He paused for a moment, looking at her. "There was once a time when I was not considered a servant," he hesitated for a moment, "In any case, scientific servants live in this quarter, being Head of the Science department does not mean I get added luxuries." He looked at the dial on his odd looking watch. "It's getting late, the King will wish your presence in the morning's meal time."

She held back a smile, "You mean breakfast, right?"

He looked at her slightly perplexed but nodded anyway, "If that is what you Chikyuu-jin call it then, yes, he will order your presence at 'brokfest'."

Bulma held back a giggle as he pronounced the word so strangely but she had forgotten that he was an alien, as she was to him. "Will you be with us at breakfast?"

He shook his head, "No, I will be in one of the many labs. Ask one of the servants to escort you to the Science Department. Do not come on your own, have I made myself clear?"

She nodded slowly. "Well, thank you. I will see you tomorrow, hopefully you will be able to show me what your planet requires in technology."

Bardock bowed his head slightly but just as he was about to retire to his own room, he stopped himself, "On further analysis, I will send one of my sons to escort you. He will meet you in the Royal courtyard after 'brokfest'." With that said, he quickly retired to his own room, for some much needed rest.

As he stepped into his room five doors down, Bulma let out a small giggle at the way he pronounced 'breakfast'. Shaking her head, she entered her room but stood completely immobile from shock.

The room itself could hardly be called a room. It was more like a cell for a patient from an insane asylum. The walls were painted a a dark shade of burgandy, which may have looked nice had there been sunlight allowed in the room. But in the cold darkness that surrounded the room at that very moment, the colour seemed dank and depressing. In the corner of the room was a cot-like bed draped in uncomfortable looking sheets and on the far side was an equally lonely looking desk. Bulma looked around in the dimness, noticing that there was only a small rectangle on the ceiling for ventilation.

She sniffed the room slightly, noting the musty smell. *How can these people live like this? It seems as if I've stepped back in time, feels like the twilight zone.* Snorting, she closed the door behind her and began decapsulising her clothes and other possessions.

Feeling more depressed than before, she began ceremoniously hanging up her clothes in the small cupboard that was provided. Once this was completed, she meticuously laid out a few blue-prints on the wooden desk and placed the rest of her capsules in the desk drawer. This was the best thing about being the daughter of a genius. She felt her chest tighten at the remembrance of her own father betraying her. She saw another connecting door and realised it was her own private bathroom. *At least these Saiya-jins aren't too barbaric!*

Changing into a pair of shorts and tank top, she scrambled into the cold looking bed and hugged the flat lifeless pillow for comfort. She closed her eyes as the tears began to threaten their way to the surface.

That night she slept a deep dreamless sleep, much to her relief.

***************************************************************< /div>

Sunlight poured through the large window of his training room. He had been training non-stop since the sun had set.

Beads of sweat rolled off his muscular form. He kicked the air in front of him, performing one of his favourite kataa. He followed the kick with a precise upper cut followed by a round-house kick. Balls of his ki danced around him, which he somehow miraculously seemed to dodge. The walls themselves were beginning to sweat at his strenuous training exercise.

Vegeta had to become stronger than his father, if he was ever to survive and become King. Vegeta hated his father with a passion, at the tender age of eight he had witnessed something that no child, Saiya-jin or not, should witness. The death of his own mother by the hands of his father.

Sixteen years on and the memories still haunted him. Ever since then he had vowed off all ministrations of love and emotion, turning his heart to ice. He knew that not even his own rage would melt the solid ice that had now formed over his heart. If he was honest with himself, then he was secretly pleased that nothing could ever harm him emotionally again. Now he was trying to work away his physical weakness as well.

A knock on the door brought him to his senses. He growled, "Enter."

Vegeta's only friend and guard slowly entered the training room. "What is it Kakkarot?"

Kakkarot bowed to his Prince, "Vegeta no Ouji, the King wishes your presence. It is time for the first meal of the day and you are to meet with the guest from Chikyuu-sei."

Vegeta dissipated the ki balls that were surrounding him and grunted for Kakkarot to leave. Walking into the connecting bathroom, the proud Prince began to wash his weary and tired face, trying to seem alert. He finally made his way out to the dining hall, curious to see the new guest.

***************************************************************< /div>

Bulma's eyes snapped open from the loud knocking on the door. She heard a muffled voice call out from behind the door, "The King wishes your presence in thirty minutes." She frowned as she didn't recognise the voice. She got up and walked into the bathroom, following her morning routine.

She stepped out of the shower and began rummaging around in the tiny cupboard for clothes that would not be too 'upfront'. Her eyes landed on a pair of faded bootcut jeans and a blue T-shirt with the word 'STAR' written across it. Satisfied with its gaudiness, she quickly put them on. She opened the desk drawer for one of her trusted capsules. Sure enough she found the one she was looking for.

Pressing the button, a large desk mirror popped up. Sitting down she began to comb her hair, frowning slightly at her appearance. Tying her hair back into a messy bun, she reached for another capsule.

Bulma gagged as she looked at the hideous coke-bottle glasses that were infront of her. In truth she did not need to wear glasses, these were only an item to make her seem more intelligent, or so she thought. But being sixteen at the time meant that she could have been a little foolish. She could hardly believe that the young twenty-two year old woman in the mirror was her. Time had gone by so fast.

Another knock on the door quickly brought her to her senses and she placed on her thick coke-bottle glasses. Standing up, she gave her appearance another once-over. She looked like a grungy, her hair was messy and her skin looked blotchy. The clothes were far too unappealing for her figure and the glasses seemed to make her age in appearance. She smiled at her reflection, *Perfect!*

She stepped out of the room, surprised to find the hallway empty. She had been given the tour of the palace when she arrived, so she did not need the assistance of anyone. Taking her own sweet time, she walked towards the dining room.

***************************************************************< /div>

Vegeta entered the dining room to find his father already sitting at the table. He grunted his acknowledgment, earning a glare from his father. He was about to start eating when another glare from his father stopped his actions. "What?"

King Vegeta growled, "It would be rude not to wait for our guest."

Vegeta rolled his eyes and sat back, growing impatient. "Where the hell is she then? Damn aliens."

As he said this, Bulma entered the room. She caught the last phrase and sent a small glare in his direction.

Vegeta raised his eyebrow at the blue-haired Chikyuu-jin that had entered the room. *THAT is a Chikyuu-jin?* He sneered at her gaudy appearance, disgusted by the contraption that covered her eyes. "I though you threw all the unwanted trash out?" He said, directing his comment at Bulma.

Bulma bit down on her tongue to stop herself from answering back.

King Vegeta looked at Bulma, with the same look as Vegeta. He was slightly taken aback that the female Chikyuu-jin would look this bad. It was safe to say that his harem wasn't that desperate for more females. "Come and join us Ms. Briefs. You are slightly late." He added in an angry tone.

Bulma bowed her head apologetically, "Forgive me King Vegeta, I'm not accustomed to your eating habits. I did not know that breakfast would be held so early." She took her seat across from Vegeta, to the left of King Vegeta.

King Vegeta looked at Bulma in confusion, "What is this 'brockfest'?" He used the same accent as Bardock had the previous night.

Bulma stifled a laugh and explained the meaning of breakfast.

King Vegeta shook his head, "You Chikyuu-jin are have very strange words."

Bulma nodded and looked at the food laid out on the table before them. Most of looked rather untimely, and smelt even worse. The King began to fill up his plate and Vegeta followed suit. Bulma tentatively took a bowl of what looked like porridge. She took a small taste and exhaled in relief, the taste was not as bad as the food looked.

All this time Vegeta had been observing the tiny alien under hooded eyes. When he first heard her speak, if seemed as if the soothing tone of the voice did not belong to the rough appearance of the female. He had the strange feeling that something was amiss with the Chikyuu-jin in front of him.

King Vegeta kept staring at Bulma, "You will escort her to the Science department Vegeta."

Vegeta stuffed his face with a spoonful of porridge and nearly choked on it when his father had given him the command, "I will not." He retorted.

The icy look the King gave to his son spoke volumes. Vegeta clenched his jaw and grunted in agreement.

Bulma smiled forcefully, "With all due respect, I already have an escort." She shot Vegeta a dirty look, unbeknownst to the King.

Vegeta quirked his eyebrow at this and smirked evilly, *You better watch yourself little one. It's dangerous playing with fire.*

Vegeta and Bulma had themselves locked in an unknown glaring match. The feelings of hate were just the beginning. Neither knew what was in store for them in the very near future.

***************************************************************< /div>

A/N: How was that chapter? Please R&R to let me know. Helpful suggestions are welcome. See you next chapter.