Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting ❯ So it begins ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Waiting

By Silvertress

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball GT. That's all I can really say on the subject.

Author's Note: This is my first romance fic. Please Read, Review, and Enjoy. (this is in Gohan's P.O.V) Also it's definitely an alternate universe fic.

-This was put up then taken down due to some errors. None of the original plot was changed.

Thanks

DBZChicky501

2002-10-18

1

Signed

Wowies!!! This is really good and well written!! Please update soon! *scowls at the rain* Eh, I like rain. ^.^ Great fic!!!!!

For her kind review.

On with the show:

**

The pale light of the rising sun was lost in the gray mass of rain clouds that scattered the sky. The wind blew through, the seemingly lifeless city in the birth hours of the morning. Small droplets of water fell from the clouds. The drops fell in what seemed a small mist then the downfall became heavier and came down in sheets.

Beads of water flew down the outside of the glass swiftly. Once departed to cling to the side of the building or go to the ground it was replaced. Gohan sat down with his forehead against the glass. The coolness of it made his body form goose bumps. Slowly he sighed. Concentrating on the pattering of the rain instead of the beep of the machines and sound of a pump in the next room. Focusing on the coolness, the tranquil sound of the rain. So simple yet complex the rhythm of the falling drops forming their natural melody. Simple that was a word that could scarcely relate to his life anymore. Suddenly he felt a light pressure on his shoulder.
Slowly he brought his head away from the glass and turned so his eyes met that of his Father's. Goku's eyes were as his glassy from unwept tears. The pure blood stepped back further away still keeping his callused hand on his son's shoulder.

"It's time." Goku said forcing out with all his might those dreaded words. Those damned words. Those were the two words he'd feared for what seemed like eternity. Placing his hands on his knees he put force on his feet and slowly rose to his full height. To his surprise his strong legs felt like jello under him. He had to grasp the wall for support. This supports the fact that strength of the body is related to both emotional strength and muscle. At this moment, the hybrid's emotional strength was waning almost near the breaking point.

Lifting his hand from his son's shoulder Goku gave him a forced grin, and then started to walk slowly down the hall. Breathing deeply Gohan forced himself with everything he had to follow his Father. Some part of him felt like if he could just stay in the hall nothing would happen. But his rational side knew it wouldn't make a difference. He had to go to that room. It was the last time he would be able to…

Slowly he made it down the hall the patter of the rain was defeated by the tone of the ventilator machine and various mechanical beeps. Breathing deeply he stepped in the room. This is it he thought to himself.

He gazed through his black eyes at the room. Trying to expel any form of emotion from them. The room was a normal hospital room. Very plain except the dozens of flowers sent by well wishers for the patient. He started to stride towards the single bed in the middle of the room.

There she lay. Her former raven hair now silver in a lose bun. Her eyes were closed peacefully at the moment, from a deep sleep induced by painkillers. The structure of her face showed that this now wrinkled elderly women in her prime was gorgeous. Gohan took her present image in. But no this weak form wasn't her by a long shot. She had always been a fighter with a spirit he could never match. The months of illness had changed her. No she had died a long time ago, all that was left was a shell. Dende please just give her a few moments of clarity for my good bye. Gohan pleaded to the Guardian of Earth. Then he slowly brought his pale smooth callused hand to her light creased hand. He applied a slight squeeze praying that this form of affection would bring her to reality for just a few moments. Praying he inhaled deeply waiting for his wish to be answered.

He breathed out heavily half out of surprise when he felt the pressure being returned. He turned his gaze towards her face slowly her eyes began to open. The glazed look that she had most times she had when she'd been conscious was absent. The eyes darted rapidly out of confusion until they came upon Gohan's reassuring coal gaze. The demi Saiya-jin frowned when he saw her trying to talk but was balked in the attempt due to the ventilator. Using his ability of telepathy; a nice trick he'd picked up over the years he reached out to her.

"You can't talk I hope you know. The ventilator keeps that from happening." He said quietly.

"Is it time?" He heard her question. So she did know what was really happening. Maybe she even knew when she was out of it or asleep under the medication. But that question would never be answered. A tear came out of both of their eyes, knowing it was time.

"Yes." He said bluntly in disbelief of how it came out so easily. "Are you ready?" He questioned gently. This was the one question he needed answered before he could let her go.

"Yes. I've been since the day I was hooked up to this damned machine. I don't even feel alive anymore. The only way I can see plainly is when you have Dende clear my thoughts. After this goodbye I'll be glad to rest finally. I've been to where I'm going it's very lovely. I'm fine with everything…Except." Her voice faltered on the last word.

"Except?" Gohan questioned. Savoring every word she said.

"Can I leave you? Everyone? Will you be able to go on? I need to know you'll all be ok." She went on, her eyes moving on Gohan himself. Then past him to Goku, Trunks, Pan, Bra, and Goten who were watching silently on the side, their goodbyes already spoken.

"We will go on. People are born, live and die. The death is not hard on the person, but on the ones left behind. I as the others will mourn you miss you. Celebrate your life and memory trying to keep it alive in hopes of keeping you a part of us. Especially me. But in the celebration of course there will be sorrow. But life goes on there's nothing that we can change about this. Yes leave us. We'll get a long somehow. The universe has invented a way to get over lose. One thing time." Gohan said passionately. He silenced as he saw a tear slid down her cheek. Taking his free hand he whipped away the tear gently. "I love you with every bit of my soul. That will never change. Never did never will. I would rewrite time if I could. But the situations we've had to live through for so long can never be undone."

"Gohan Son I will also never stop loving you. I too love you will everything. I can't stand we must separate. But your healer is also the one taking me away from you. Live. That's all I want you to do." Her voice replied wavering in the Demi-Saiya-jin's ears. Then she smiled her eyes bright and a live for one moment. Then the lids of her eyes started to slowly flutter shut. The force she had on his hand ceased and her hand fell limp. The clarity was gone. Tears of disbelief and mourning in Gohan's eyes he turned and nodded to a Doctor that stood in the hall.

**

The Doctor bowed his white coat ruffling softly. In a few strides he was in the room next to a control device for all the machines. Taking a key he placed it in the machine and slowly turned it as he pressed certain buttons with an unwanted mastery. When finished he took the clipboard with was hanging at the end of the bed as the machines turned off for good.

The women's body seized shaking as her body stopped functioning with out the aid of the machines. The gaze of everyone in the room was on her body not a dry eye except the harden ones of the Doctor as the women's body finally went limp. The Doctor breathed in heavily as he said in a monotone, looking at his watch.

"Time of death 5:15." Slowly he scribbled the number down messily on the long chart. He noticed that she'd been here a couple of months. Looking up he turned his gaze to the crowd in the room. All were silent. To his surprise they all seemed to be in the prime of their lives. How could this woman not have anyone her own age? Then he went to the conclusion her husband must've died a while ago. The chart said the deceased was 96 years old. These must just be her grandchildren he assumed.

Forcing a cough he drew the attention of the room. "I need someone to sign this for me." He said softly. All heads turned towards the one holding the woman's hand. Slowly he sniffed and let go of the hand softly.

"I will." He spoke up, his voice raspy. Grabbing the clipboard gruffly he signed it neatly Gohan Son. Gohan Son? The doctor thought. He looked and examined the name of the patient. Typed in a box was the name Videl Satan Son. Videl Satan? Not the Videl Satan. Mr. Satan's daughter? She was one of the greatest fighters the world ever saw. How time ravages people.

"Videl Satan?" The Doctor questioned. His curiosity getting the best of him. "She must have been a great person. I know she was a powerful fighter in her day. Too bad we all can't live forever." He joked.

All of them glared at him in surprise.

"Immortality is something I would wish on no one." A girl with black hair cried. The man with lavender hair slowly took her into his arms.

"Don't mind her. It's the grief." The man with the clipboard said absent-mindedly. The Doctor looked at the girl with concern. "I'll send someone for the body." He said and left knowing that his stay was no longer welcomed.

**

As the Doctor shut the door all was silent again. Pan clung to Trunks' shoulder her head in his chest. Tears wetting his shirt. Gohan just stood there. Not knowing what to do. He was alone now, forever alone.

"Immortality. The ignorance of people." Gohan said harshly. Four pairs of eyes focused on him.

"Daddy. He didn't know. How could he?" Pan said quietly lifting her head from Trunks' chest. Gohan flashed a fierce look.

"Go…" Goten started to say in his low voice. He was suddenly stopped by Bra who looked at him and put two fingers to her lips to signal for him to stop.

"It's alright Gohan." Goku said walking closer to his son. Putting an arm around him Gohan went into the embrace and let the tears flow. The others left quietly letting the hybrid to his grief, they would never experience.

**

The black of night finally reigned supreme in the sky. The only light that was supplied was that of the stars. The bugs were in the grass chirping their songs as the wolves howled.

"Time does go on." Gohan said sadly. As he sat on the rocks of a cliff surrounded by trees.

"Yes it does Gohan. That's one of the hardest things to deal with. Everyone else goes but you and I as the others stay the same. Yes, you touch life. But think of it this way life is a lake, unapparent but always moving. You're like a rock skipping on the surface. Touching it for an instant but never really being a part of it." Goku went on.

"That sounds familiar." Gohan replied in a melancholically.

"It should. It's what you said to me when your Mother died." Goku answered. "I think you even explained it all to Vegeta the same way. When Bulma left us."

"That was a mistake. He nearly ki blasted my head off." Gohan forced a small laugh.

"I know it hurts. The pain from me losing your Mother is still with me and probably will never leave me. But it does get better. Time helps." Goku tried to reassure his son.

"Time. We are unaffected by time. Time?" Gohan changed his gaze from beyond the cliff to look in his Father's eyes. Proudly showing the grief and tears in his eyes.

"Gohan." Goku said softly. "Everything is affected by time differently. Even us." He went on to say.

Gohan listened to this and it echoed through his head. Time. Time. I have all the time in the Universe. Time can affect me. Not directly, but through others. Why the hell did we ever get into this situation? He turned his gaze upward looking at the stars. His thoughts going to the day that this all happened.

Flash Back: It all happened after Goku had gotten his adult body back. For a few months everything was back to normal. Then strange things started to happen. Massive deaths for no apparent reason, foreign ki signals appearing for split seconds then disappearing. It had most of Earth's Special Forces clueless. No one knew what was happening.

Then it happened. He showed up. All the evil that we'd ever faced all together will never match up to him. Older than the Earth itself, this being has been hanging around the Universe since it was made. It finally found it's way to Earth and had a goal to destroy it, still does. Its only instincts are to destroy and fight. Dende has identified him as the being named Caelesistic Akakios. An immortal being with a name that means on the most basic level Evil from the Heavens. Sensing my Father and Vegeta immediately it went to challenge them. Even using all their power being fused didn't lay a scratch on it. I in my studies couldn't do anything disregarding fighting to pursuit exercises of the mind. I watched on the sidelines as Pan went to battle. I was unable to stop her. As did all the others including Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Piccolo. No one could finish the task.

Then as Vegitto, Vegeta and my Father came up with a plan that could save us all. Using the Dragon Balls Dende wished for the Saiya-jins to have immortality. For a first wish, so they could keep fighting the monster with no worry. The second was for them to be in their prime for. Which would let their bodies be at their peak and have the most potential for The problem was the wish was so general. When tampering with wishes you should always be specific. As the Dragon granted the wish I felt a change as did all with Saiya-jin blood. Whatever age we were all with the blood running in their veins got immortality and turned into a form of about 25 years. My daughter being about 15 now changed into a 25 year old in an instant. No exceptions. Dende knew what happened he wasn't specific enough. Now we were damned. The wish couldn't be undone because the Dragon didn't have enough power. Undoing the wish would cause an unsettling amount of paradox that the Dragon couldn't counter.

In my new state the only choice I really had was to stop my studies and train. What's the use know things? All I could really do was try to help. Make something useful of myself. Soon in a matter of months I was in touch with my hidden power once more. About a year later I was able to tap into my banished mystic powers. It scares me to the core the feeling of belonging that I get when I'm using my full power. Knowing that at any minute something could snap and I could lose control. Just as I did during the fight with Cell. But I take the chances with ease now. There seems to be almost no restrictions for power when you're immortal. I've been battling for about sixty years now. The damned being has proclaimed us Saiya-jins his eternal plaything. Now he comes to the Earth on and off.

End of Flash Back:

I watched as my love, Videl slowly wasted away with age. But I remained untouched. She never hated me for it. But never wished to join me. She believed that she must live and die, as all living things must. But I was an exception. I was needed. Now I am alone.

As my Father and Vegeta who saw their loves go. This will never happen to Trunks, Pan, Bra, and Goten. This situation drove my daughter to Trunks. Which I feel is fine. Let them be together. They seem to belong together. But I wonder what will happen with time. My brother and Bra finally got together about five years ago. Let them have love. I'll still have mine; the object of it will just be further away. But no. It'll never die.

"You know there are ways to see her again." Goku said softly. Hearing this Gohan turned cocked an eyebrow in disbelief.

"How?" He questioned.

"It's sort of complicated." He started scratching the back of his head. "You have to learn how to separate your spirit from your body then will yourself back in when you're done. You see if you're in spirit form you can move to Other World easily. That's where they belong." Goku explained. His eyes darted across the sky as he saw thin streaks of white light move through the sky. Smiling he went on to say. "There are some things that a person really can watch forever."

Gohan nodded silently. The vision of a Saiya-jin was different from humans. They could see beyond the normal range of a person. See colors even waves at times that a human could never conceive. Looking through the eyes of Gohan at the sky a person would see. An array still unperceived in any known source. The stars glowed their own individual color in a mist, which contrasted violently with the background of black. The shooting stars were in a new category all together. The thin white stream humans saw was almost any color of the rainbow and appeared a wave like form.

"Do you know how to do this?" Gohan said. He had learned over time that rushing things weren't necessary anymore. Most conversations exchanged between him and the others were very casual.

Goku nodded lightly. "I do. It's just a very draining experience. I also wonder if I teach you. Will you be ready to see her."

"What are you talking about?" Gohan questioned.

"It's very hard to see them. Be near them again. Without wanting to stay forever. It's not possible though. I learned the hard way that there is a time limit." Goku answered suddenly frowning as he remembered his experience.

"Of course. I'll be able to. If you don't teach me, then I'll try to do it myself." Gohan said stubbornly. He wanted to see Videl more than anything.

"You can't teach yourself. The technique it way to dangerous to learn on your own." Goku said bluntly. "I'll teach you. But you still have to wait. Her soul still needs to be judged and that'll take a few days. Trust me I know. I'm an expert when it comes to this."

Gohan laughed suddenly. "You should be by now. How many times have you died? Twice? Kami can't you get it right? You're so dense at times." Gohan joked.

Goku smiled at seeing his son laugh. He hadn't seen that action happen to his son truly since Videl first became sick.

"I'll get it right some day." Goku said. "If we ever get this situation we're in figured out."

"Someday. The problem is when will someday come. A week? A year? A century? Or millennia? Will it ever come?" Gohan said his grin fading.

"The time will come. We do have forever." Goku replied reassuringly as he started to get to his feet.

"Forever. Who wants to live forever?" Gohan asked, as he too got to his feet and joined his Father. Both focused a small amount of ki and blasted off into the sky surrounded by white auras.

The loose soil swirled as energy that enabled their flight surrounded them. Then it settled as the two figures disappeared into the distance, as the lone howl of a wolf cried and echoed through the valley.

**

The Queen Song "Who Wants to Live Forever" inspired this fic.

The refrain of the song goes: Who wants to live forever. (Repeats)

There is no time for us

There is no place for us

What is this thing that builds our dreams but slips away from us

(Refrain)

There is no chance for us

It's all decided for us

This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us

(Refrain)

Who dares to love forever

Our love must die

Just touch my tears with your lips

Tourch my world with your fingertips

And we can have forever

And we can love forever

Forever will outlive

(Refrain)

Who lives forever anyway

I just wanted to show you this song. The plot of the story sort of follows the lyrics. I highly recommend this song to listen to. (even if it's an oldie ^-^)

Note: These lyrics were copied down as I listened to the song. Any error is mine alone. If you find one please e-mail me so it can be fixed.

Disclaimer: I don't own the song "Who Wants to Live Forever?"

**

Author's Note: By now I hope I got you hooked or interested. Please leave any type of comments. Love/ hate suggestions are also always good. The input you give will just make the story all the better. So please if you read this story review or e-mail me with input. This fic will be tracing the love lives of all the Saiya-jin pure blood or hybrid. Next is Pan and Trunks.

If you're still wondering about the pairings here it is: Gohan/ Videl, Goku/ Chichi, Vegeta/ Bulma, Trunks/Pan, and Goten/Bra.

Your probably wonder also if it'll be a happy or sad ending. Well to find out keep reading the fic. If I tell you it spoils the surprise.

Also if the beginning kept you guessing who the girl was. My job was done right. I was trying to have the beginning raise some questions.

Thanks for reading ;)

(if ya leave ur e-mail in the review and request to be notified when this fic is updated I'll be happy to oblige. If your registered I might e-mail you any way.)