Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Worthy of Legends ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Worthy of Legends
By Moonraker One

Author's note: Realize that in the show, Broly is essentially emotionless except for sadistic hatred towards Kakarot (Goku) and psychopathic murder drives. This is an A.U.; he's not going to act the same as he did in the show.

Broly’s Private Journal - Page 042 - Thirty-sixth entry since starting the journal four years ago:

“The date is April 1, 752. April fools’ day, I think. Today Lord Cooler gave me my first mission. It wasn’t much; all I was supposed to do was sit at the sidelines and watch as his elites went to town on a small planet on the outskirts of the Cekorutan system. They partied amongst the people, ate their food and drank their wine, then at the end of the day left the populace with a smile, moments before our ever so gracious lord decided to annihilate the planet with a death ball. He said it was a lesson in how to detach from things. He should at least have spared the planet. I’m a Saiyan, and my master tells me that I’m supposed to enjoy the sight of killings, but it sickens me that they’d make an entire planet think they loved them and then betray them. I’ll be turning twelve in eight days, and Lord Cooler says I’ll get to go on my first killing mission as a birthday present. Some poor bastard on Krytak owes our lord some money, and has sworn that ’no one will take him alive.’ Tell you the truth, journal, I don’t want to go. I don’t like murder of innocent people, and that kinda makes my father upset. Then again, he has the luxury of staying on a Saiyan colony on the outer edge of the universe where he can talk to me through secured scouter transmission lines that King Cold’s equipment can’t pick up, and the colony his military can’t find. He didn’t have the luxury of seeing my mother killed in front of me by the man I’m supposed to bow before and wipe the shoes of. He didn’t have the luxury of being beaten up every time one of Cooler’s whores won’t sleep with him. Ah, that’s another thing; it sickens me to see these women debasing themselves by sleeping with a man just so that their people have the right to live. It doesn’t seem to phase our lord to kill an entire planet because one of their women won’t give him what he wants. He thinks I’m stupid and I don’t know about sex and stuff; I know. I watch the intergalactic television on my scouter when I’m not training, sleeping, eating or bathing, and I’ve seen enough movies and educational programs to know better. I snicker behind Lord Cooler’s back when I see him walking in cold weather on planet Cardaria, his people’s home planet. He takes me wherever he goes in order to ‘teach me the ways of the Cardarians,’ he always reminds me. I don’t want to know the ways of the Cardarians, I want to know the ways of my own person, mind you. The reason I laugh behind his back is he has a permanent limp in his right leg that has resisted all medical attempts to correct, that only shows up during cold weather; I gave him the limp for his thirtieth birthday, the day he killed my mother before me. He thought he could instill a murderous attitude in me, and he actually succeeded in being counter-productive. Because of him, I see what horror it is to kill, and I know better. I went to church today, I prayed to God, I went before the priest and told him as much as I could that wouldn’t incriminate me. He said since I haven’t killed anyone, God would forgive my sins as long as I said the prayer of God three times with sufficient reflection, whatever the hell that means. Lord Cooler blew up the church and doesn’t want to tell me about it, but I know it was him. Tomorrow I have the ‘distinct honor of being a guest’ in his brother Frieza’s ship; lucky me. I’m so happy I could shit myself. Ha ha, that’s sarcasm; I looked that word up today on the intergalactic internet. Gotta go for training, so until next time, journal, it‘s just you and me. Ciao.”

CHAPTER ONE

He slipped on his Saiyan battle armor and after taking a drink of vitamin-enhanced water, he sighed; just eight days would mark the twelfth birthday of a young warrior by the name of Broly. He had seen enough battles in the six years or so he’d been training, to know what it meant to be powerful. When he was just five, he began his first rounds of training against Cooler, the man who’d taken him from planet Vegeta, and by the time he was seven, he’d outclassed almost all of Cooler’s lower elites. Now, the eldest tyrant son of King Cold and the young Saiyan taken from his people as an infant had become unwilling allies, or at least Broly attempted to make it seem they were allies. He’d discovered his talent for fighting at such a young age, that a few times he playfully sparred against Cooler, who despite having a drastic power advantage, still toned it down enough to make it a fair fight. He’d wanted to show the Saiyan child that in order to be a proper servant to a vastly superior being, you had to be tough. He hadn’t expected, of course, that at the age of nine, when he decided to further instill murder in the child’s mind, that killing Spargela in front of him would cause a sudden outburst, but that would be his last mistake, he swore. Never again would he agitate the child to that degree on purpose. Broly stepped into the fighting chamber, secured with near-unbreakable adamantium walls that also absorbed all the shockwaves to prevent damage to the ship, and watched as his challengers entered as well. Four of the challengers, Broly had never before seen; the other, Sauzaa, he considered to be the closest thing to a living friend he’d ever had. He knew the Pienorian warrior was the single strongest of Cooler’s henchmen–or at least he was until today’s bout would prove, he hoped–but he also knew that Sauzaa had snuck extra food out of the mess hall to give to him when the tyrant son would get pissed and order no food for Broly. Surely, if anyone, HE would be the friend.
Cooler limped into the monitoring room adjacent to the fighting chamber. Someone had accidentally turned the air conditioning unit too high; he hated his limp being seen by anyone, and thus wondered who the lucky victim of his wrath would be. It still bothered him how the kid threw all caution aside those few years ago, and in a sudden rage of anger and storm of power, kicked him so hard in the leg that it broke in four places above and below the knee. It still bothered him that recovery chambers, corrective surgery, and even nanotechnology corrected the bone break, but refused to correct the limp. Cameras were installed behind transparent adamantium plates inside the chamber’s walls, and several underlings watched and monitored the fights that would occur in the chamber. The fight kicked off when the bright white light above went off and the red light activated. Four of the elites zoomed towards Broly, and they all were on the ground, gasping for air the instant one of them came within a foot of him. Soon it was down to Broly and Sauzaa. These two both considered the other friend; Sauzaa kept his power at its max, but kept a check on himself so he didn’t kill his opponent accidentally, and Broly didn’t want to use the secret power he’d discovered two years before because it might obliterate his friend. The secret power was something else, something that amazed the young Saiyan and terrified him at the same time. When his mother was killed, he stopped short of using it because he worried that if it didn’t kill Cooler, his only ace would have been revealed. That and a particular device Cooler wore in order to limit the amount of power the kid could generate at any given moment. It was a handheld remote on the planet trader’s hand, which responded to a metal plate in the shape of a C that fit onto Broly at the base of his neck and on his forehead.

Broly’s Private Journal - Page 039 - Twentieth entry since starting the journal:

“The date is January 17, 749. I only write entries in you, journal, when significant events occur. Most of Cooler’s elites were out killing people, so that meant I had to go out and do chores for him like gathering servants. They sent me down on this planet called Mithruk-No, and I saw a man torturing a woman out in a field. That woman looked a little like my mother, so naturally I dropped what I was doing and zoomed out to the area. What happened next I’ll never forget; I flew towards him screaming, ‘Leave her alone!’ but he kept at it. Once I kicked him off of her, he punched me in the face, amazed me just how strong the bastard was. He made my nose bleed and kicked me in the balls a second later. Thinking my mother was being raped, and that this possibly was another attempt by Cooler to get me more on his side, I felt a strange power and light come over me, and suddenly I was glowing. I didn’t have much time to think about it, though, as the man drove his fist towards me again. Strange thing was, this time, I saw it coming like it was moving through molasses; slower than hell. I kicked him in his chest, broke all his ribs at once; he slinked off to the inside to heal himself in a chamber, I guess. The woman thanked me, and I quickly found out that it wasn’t my mother. I left her all alone and flew out to the middle of nowhere, and tested out my power. I have to say, it was a feeling I’ve never felt, like getting high or something. Upon further inspection I could turn the glow and the power on and off at will. Amazing!”

Scribbled below in the cramped space below it:

“Super Saiyan! Super Saiyan! Suuupppppeeerrr Saaiiiyyannn! I’m a Super Saiyan! I mean, I looked it up on the internet and the legend fits all my personality traits except the one about endless killing, I still haven’t decided on that one yet, but I’m the legend! Yaaaayyy! I better not show lord Cooler though. He‘s already pissed that I‘m nine and already as tall as him.”

Sauzaa snapped his fingers, instantly drawing the young warrior to attention. “You ready for our fight?” he asked. Broly grinned voraciously. Sauzaa knew that that would get his mind set.
“I was born ready,” the young Saiyan egged, and powered up without going Super Saiyan.
From the monitoring room, Cooler sat in between his servants, eagerly watching as Sauzaa and the Saiyan kid exchanged blows. He could simply not believe that his most trusted servant, Sauzaa, could be matched in power by a young kid that had far fewer years’ experience in the field of fighting. It looked in a sense like David and Goliath, except in this version, the two were equal. Broly had grown quite tall for his young age of eleven, soon to be twelve; he already stood six foot one, a whole three inches taller than his opponent. The planet trader sat with arms folded staring into the screens as the battle refused to go in any one direction towards any one fighter. Broly could very easily have stormed his opponent had he gone Super Saiyan, but he didn’t, so the fight continued. A familiar, evil grin formed on Cooler’s face when he saw the Saiyan child duck beneath a right hook aimed at his forehead, and roll behind Sauzaa to nail him in his back. It was at that precise moment that the tyrant lifted his hand and decreased the kid’s power just enough to give his right-hand man the advantage. The sudden decrease in his power pushed the Saiyan’s speed down enough for him to be caught directly on the right cheek with a vicious roundhouse upon his assailant turning around.
Sauzaa stared at the wall, in the direction of the camera facing his master. “Lord Cooler,” he argued, “I thought we agreed we’d do this without your help!” Cooler rolled his eyes.
“Sauzaa, just keep at what you’re doing!” commanded the planet trader. “You can worry about honor once the fight’s over and done with.” His servant nodded and charged towards Broly once more, except this time he dodged before his opponent could strike him. Sensing the kid appear behind him, Sauzaa swung his body violently around, hoping to catch his foe with a chop, except he vanished again.
“Kid, if you don’t strike at me soon, I’m gonna come at you!” he warned his young friend. “This fight’s to determine who’s really better between us! One of us is gonna have to be carried to the regeneration chamber when all‘s said and done!” He heard his opponent appear behind him, but he had no time to react.
“That so?” Broly uttered, moments before grabbing his opponent and lifting him high above his head, gorilla-press style. He then brought Sauzaa down hard, bending him in the shape of a C in the wrong direction onto his knee. Sauzaa let out a loud scream as he felt several vertebrae creek and snap under the sheer force of the impact. He then let his writhing opponent fall to the floor, barely able to speak. “Then it looks like things are all said and done!” The young Saiyan left the chamber as the medics went in to aid his defeated opponent to the regeneration chambers. By the day’s end, Sauzaa would be back on his feet again, but right now he’d been put in a world of hurt with a broken spine. Broly regarded his master with the same enmity that he’d held towards Cooler since the day his mother had been killed. “Why’d you make me do that?!” he demanded. To this question, Cooler only sneered, and began clapping.
“You’ve proved to me that I’ve finally created a monster I can be proud of,” he replied. “Someone who’s willing to kick the ass of their best friend if need be. Good job.”

Cooler’s Private Log - Disc 0179

“Date is April 8, 749. Tomorrow is that asshole brat Broly’s birthday. He’s good at fighting, I can tell you that much, but one thing I hate is that he’s a freaking Saiyan, and he absolutely refuses to kill any of my lower elites that I throw into battle against him as sacrificial lambs! I KNOW that even at this age he’s already stronger than about anyone I’ve got except maybe Sauzaa’s personal squadron of trained elites, and even then, he’s stronger than about half of them! WHY won’t he kill anybody?! It’s just really pissing me off! He’s definitely got some power hidden within him–couldn’t possibly be the legend, the super Saiyan…could it? N…no, NO. I don’t believe in that rubbish, and even then, no monkey has power greater than me or my brother. I had that power limit device put on Broly as solely a safety precaution; if this ‘power’ of his does come out, I want to have the possibility to push it down before he can be an annoyance to me. But damn it! I’ve GOT to get a killing rage attitude drilled into that boy if he’s ever gonna become useful to me! I know! I know, damn it! That one bitch of mine, that shape-shifting whore; I could never track down his real mother Spargela, but I’ve seen her image, and with it I can put my shape shifter woman in front of him disguised permanently as his mother, and I’ll just kill her! If THAT doesn’t do the trick, I don’t know what can! Some of my elites say it’s bad to piss off a powerful Saiyan child, especially one as truly gifted as to have been born with a power level of ten thousand. Bah; I’m COOLER. No one is greater than me except my father, and that gap is shortening! Log data record; I‘m out.”

After the insidious plan to turn friends against friends came out, Broly seemed only mildly surprised. Instead of showing what little shock he did have, he sneered and looked at Cooler’s leg. “I see you’re enjoying that limp I gave you, Lord Cooler,” he harped. Several of Cooler’s elites laughed, only to be silenced immediately by a single glare from their leader. One person got a death beam, and was carried off to the disposal unit. Broly predicted the use of his master’s device, so he tried to power up. Bad move; Cooler caught him the instant the boy started.
BAM.
Broly’s head went forward as the force from Cooler’s jab to the gut pushed his torso backwards. As the fist came out, he clutched his abdomen in pain, right before his master’s foot sent him into the back wall. He tried to right himself, but Cooler moved with a god’s speed, and instantly arrived in front of him. A punch flew, but the tyrant son caught the Saiyan child’s attack, and bent the kid’s elbow ninety degrees in the wrong direction, instantly breaking the elbow joint in four places. The walls actually rattled as Broly let out the single loudest scream he’d let out in a long time. An instant later, a well-placed foot crushed all of his ribs in a neat pattern. Cooler merely stood up and brushed off, ordering one of his underlings to take the kid to a regeneration chamber–God forbid the investment he’d suffered so much hardship and headache over should die by injuries caused by a mere moment’s attack.
“Ignorant little...” Cooler uttered as he limped off to have his daily meal.
Broly found his breaths to be labored as he struggled to calm himself down. Most of him had been injured by his master's attack. Ah, the irony; he'd be stuck in a regeneration chamber next to Sauzaa. How the hell do you put up with that man, Sauzaa? he thought to himself as the subordinates carried him to the healing room.
Converting /tmp/phprVNaq5 to /dev/stdout