Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ A Suitable Bride ❯ Ominous Arrival ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warning: Major angst ahead. This is not like any of my other stories.

Italics are her thoughts.


The Dragon Castle lies just ahead of the carriage containing Raseleane, her mother and her dress. Her mother packed it away again, early this morning, eager to get to the Castle and check out her daughter's new home. Many screeches followed the porters as they hoisted the case into the carriage, who paid only lip service to her instructions. The late arrival of the escort from the Castle last night, had frayed her nerves already and she is now more jittery than a barrelful of bees that've been shaken steadily for five hours.

"Oh my nerves. I'll need a week to get over this." She looks out the window. "We're in the town at least, is the Castle ahead?"
"I think we're nearly there mother." Raseleane spoke quietly. A feeling of unease had been growing in her stomach since she awoke and every thought of reaching the Castle, entering the Castle and meeting the Dragonlord sent it lurching in every wrong direction. Please, please let it be over soon. Please let him be gone. I don't want to meet him, I'm not ready. Please, let it not feel like this forever.

Raseleane glances at the woman beside her. Her mother looks no older than her. Her hair is a midnight black and her skin glows (Raseleane's lips purse slightly) like a new bride. She displays the radiant young beauty and unhealthy hysteria usually associated with a high-society fiancée. The only signs of her true age are in the slightly dowdy and old-fashioned gown she is wearing and in her eyes. You can never disguise your eyes. If only you'd been born with the Dragoneyes yourself. I bet you'd be ecstatic and you'd glow more brightly than I will. I wonder then, would he be my father, or would I be born at all?

The carriage starts to rattle as the ground underneath changes from a dirt road, to the more elegant cobbles lining the drive to the Dragon Castle. Raseleane suppresses the desire to look out the carriage window and marvel at it. She prefers to wallow in the safety and anonymity of the carriage for as long as possible. Her mother nods approvingly at her. It's probably unsuitable to be interested in the prison that you're going to spend the rest of your life contained in.

The carriage rattles on, until it comes to a stop before the main doors of the castle. Raseleane waits until her escort opens the door, before she leaves. Her mother follows closely behind. There is no-one there to greet them. The only people visible are those that travelled with Raseleane from the last hotel. Her eyes shift to examine her mother briefly before she leads the procession to the doors of the castle. The echo of their every movement is flung back at them in the empty entrance hall. Raseleane strides down the hall, her mother two steps behind her and everyone else hurrying after like small children. Halfway down the length of the hall, she spies a girl in uniform entering from a side door. Assuming that she's a maid, she stops the girl.

"Hello. My name is Raseleane and I have been invited to stay at the Dragon Castle. Could you show me to my rooms and then inform the Dragonlord that I have arrived as requested?"

The poor girl is a bit flustered, but is saved from speaking by the arrival of a dapper fellow.

"Lady Raseleane I presume?"

He is immaculately attired. His shirt is cut a little low and gives off a casual sleaziness, but this impression is overwhelmed by the sheer presence of the man as well as his good looks. He has power and knows how to use it, but this power is tempered by a kind face and a soft expression held in his eyes. Is this the Dragonlord? But I'd heard that he was blonde...

"Yes, I am the Lady Raseleane and this is my mother, the Lady Wilhemina." Both women curtsey as their names are spoken. The gentleman bows in return to each.

"My name is Ruwalk. I am the Secretary of State and a close friend of the Dragonlord. He..."

"Ruwalk! What are you doing?"

Ruwalk is rudely interrupted by another man. This one's shirt is buttoned up to the neck and he looks very stiff and proper. He bears the same aura of authority, but has none of the calm and stillness of Ruwalk. His hair is brown and a large rat's tail swings out behind him as he runs to join his friend. His face is a bright red and he appears to be getting angrier.

"What are you wasting time on now? We need to find him and if I find out that you helped him escape..."
"Alfeegi..."
"That woman is going to arrive soon and he is supposed to be here to meet her. Why today of all days?"

Ruwalk is visibly cowed by this new arrival. He must be of equal power to this one. Curious. I wouldn't have thought that he has the temperament for ruling. He raises his hands to fend off Alfeegi, but the one that finally distracts him is Raseleane.

"So the Dragonlord is missing then?"

Alfeegi turns to her. His eyes are curious, but his anger still holds him. Ruwalk saves him from whatever embarrassment he was about to incur.

"Alfeegi, allow me to introduce the Lady Raseleane. She is the one that is to marry the Dragonlord."

Alfeegi's face empties immediately. His back stiffens and he offers her an awkward bow.

"Greetings Lady Raseleane. Um, welcome to the Dragon Castle, aha. I am Alfeegi. I am the Lord's Chief Secretary and White Dragon Officer."
"Greetings Ser. Let me introduce my mother, the Lady Wilhemina."

Alfeegi's bow to her is even stiffer.

"Alfeegi, I've never heard of the White Dragon Officer. What does that title mean?"

Alfeegi brushes aside her question.

"I'm sure that the Dragonlord will answer that for you when he arrives. "
Ruwalk interrupts. "We expect him back very soon. He was quite eager to meet you."
Alfeegi continues. "I'll inform the Castle's doctor that you're here and arrange an appointment for you with him."
Ruwalk continues smoothly. "After I've shown you to your rooms and you've had a chance to recover from your journey, of course. You have travelled very far."

Raseleane's mother is the one to ask the awkward question. "See the doctor? I assure you that Raseleane is in perfect health."
"It is just to confirm her suitability." Alfeegi doesn't notice the fire that flares in Raseleane's eyes but continues with a bit more thought, "of course, it's just a formality. Castle rules of succession. The examination will not take long or be unduly onerous. I assure you."
There's that word again. I can't even get away from it here! Alfeegi. I bet you deal with figures, not people. I hope you're a decent accountant, as your people skills are appalling.
"I would like to rest." She looks to Ruwalk as she continues. "It is very kind of you to offer to show us personally to our rooms."
"No trouble, I assure you."
At least there is one person here that knows how to hold a civilised conversation. At least I shall have someone to talk to. So, my future husband could is not here to meet me. I wonder if he ran away from home to avoid me. I felt like doing the same, so I suppose I can't blame him, but it does not feel nice.

Ruwalk leads Raseleane and Wilhemina away, talking of minor matters and seemingly unconcerned about the loss of the Dragonlord. Both ladies, however, notice Alfeegi's frantic flight, the minute they turn away from him.

The rooms are in the south of the building, with a beautiful view of the expansive gardens. The two ladies have their own bedrooms, which lead into a large shared reception room. Raseleane's room is naturally larger than her mother's, and has a substantial dressing area attached to it. One of the wardrobes is filled with pretty gowns in Raseleane's size. All the colours of the rainbow are represented and all are in the latest styles. Wilhemina approves. Ruwalk shows off the features and waits until both are settled before absenting himself. Wilhemina watches him leave, while Raseleane takes in the view. The gardens are a rich collage of greens, while here and there a riot of colour appears from between the sheltering branches of the surrounding trees. Many places to hide a Dragonlord in. I wonder how long it'll take to find him. At least I have some time to settle in.

"That Ruwalk is nice. A sweet fellow, very smooth and attractive. If I were a hundred years younger... I'll have to visit you lots."

Raseleane can't stop the sigh from escaping. Her mother hurries over and grabs her hand.

"I know it looks bad dear. We take ages to get here, your potential future husband isn't around, even though he knew exactly when we were going to arrive. There's no greeting party and something's...not quite right. If this were anyone else, I'd be taking you home tonight. But this is the Dragonlord. He is the best catch in the land. It doesn't get any better than this. Some thought was obviously put into our arrival. Look at the dresses in your wardrobe, they're gorgeous and I bet you that every one is a perfect fit. It'll get better. Everything will even out tomorrow, you'll see."
"Mother..."
"Raseleane, you have a duty." Her voice then softens. "Let's at least wait until tomorrow before we make any impressions. No matter what, this was going to be an awkward day." She runs her hand through her daughter's hair. "Get some rest. After, we can have a walk in the garden and take a look at the place." She laughs, "and you can help me pick out a toy boy."
Raseleane smiles weakly. "How about Alfeegi?"

The small-talk continues as the two prepare for their rest. Wilhemina brushes her daughter's hair and stills her shaking hands.

"Lie down. You'll feel better."

She leads Raseleane to her bed and holds her like she did when she was little. Raseleane soaks it all up and starts to feel a little stronger.

"Mother?"

A gentle snore emerges from Wilhemina. Raseleane fetches the blanket, covers the two of them and lies down again.

She was so looking forward to all this. In a way I feel more sorry for her, as though her dreams are being trodden on. Still, this is only the first day, maybe tomorrow will be better. Very well then, tomorrow I will be the demure, sophisticated, attentive and beautiful Raseleane, future Queen of Draqueen. Tonight, I'll be simple Raseleane, and sleep beside my mother, for the last time.