Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ A Suitable Bride ❯ Make or Break ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warning: Major angst ahead. This is not like any of my other stories.

Italics are her thoughts.


It's a beautiful day. The sunlight forms a dappled pattern on the ground, as it peeks through the canopy of leaves on the trees that shelter Raseleane and Lykouleon. The setting is awesome, the view amazing, the weather wonderful and the company is pleasant. Lykouleon is animated, a rare occasion, as he describes his plans for world domination.
"So, once the army's built up, I'm going to mass it on the lower plains and we're going to have a decisive battle with the yokai forces. We'll win, they'll be wiped out and then the world will be a safer and better place."
He finishes, his face flushed and turns back to Raseleane for her unbounded admiration.
"Is that wise my lord?"
"Eh?" Bewilderment crosses his face, but Lykouleon is willing to humour his fiancée.
"Placing all of your eggs in one basket like that is extremely risky. If the yokai know you're building up your forces, they may attempt to sabotage you. And even if you do get to the decisive battle, there's no guarantee that you'll win. Otherwise the yokai just won't turn up. If the army is destroyed then the yokai forces will rule over all and the people of Dusis will face complete annihilation."
Lykouleon turns to Raseleane, with a patronizing look on his face. "Silly. You don't need to worry your pretty little head about all that. I know what I'm doing." He daringly reaches out and squeezes her hand before sitting down beside her. "So, there's a formal dinner this evening. What are you going to wear? The Duchess will be here with her entourage, so you ladies can gossip while the men talk business."

Raseleane sighs inwardly, but puts on a bright and cheery tone while she discusses these shallow details. Why is it always like this? Every time we reach an interesting topic and I venture an opinion he drags the conversation back to these nothing topics! What? Am I meant to be a pretty mindless doll, with only an interest in fluffy, simple things? What sort of child would be born from a union with such an inane creature? I've been schooled from the age of four, instructed in beauty, deportment and etiquette, but also war and economics, all of the subjects which may be useful to a Queen. Is he not going to use me? Why did they encourage me to grow a brain if it's to be condemned to dotage?

Before long, a functionary arrives to call the Dragonlord away. As Lykouleon leaves, Raseleane collapses into herself. Her eyes fall to her lap and she holds her temples, thus completely missing the arrival of Tetheus, whose hand is falling from its wave of greeting.
"Can I really do this? Can I marry someone that I don't love, that doesn't care for me?"

Tetheus turns aside and returns to the castle without speaking to Raseleane.


Raseleane gains no solace from further pondering in the garden and a light rain drives her back into the castle. She wanders through the halls before realising that she's been in the castle for over a month, but she still has no place there.

I'm just wandering aimlessly. I have no job, no place to be, no orders to give or advice to offer. The kitchens run themselves, the maids clean and I have no idea how this is taken care of. All I've been doing is moping around and living a life of leisure. She laughs, a light and dreamy laugh that she hasn't heard in ages. Happy with this new sensation she laughs again. I'm completely useless. What, am I supposed to get married then sit around and work hard at getting pregnant? Do I sit in the garden and will myself to conceive? Is that all I'll have to distract me? Isn't there something that I can do?

Her feet take her all over the castle and everywhere she goes maids clean faster, guards stand firmer and functionaries scuttle back and forth with more purpose. As she walks past, they all breathe a sigh of relief and return to more normal habits. I wonder if they act like this for Lykouleon too. I doubt it. He has such an easy way, that everyone relaxes around him. I guess they all trust him to do what's right. She smiles. In fact, I think the only one that's able to get angry with him is Alfeegi. All anyone else can manage is concern. I wish I'd been taught how to carry that off, but my mother trained me to make an impact, to be graceful, poised and better than everyone else, so no-one's at ease with me. Maybe if I watch him, I can pick up how he does it. I suppose he's not a bad guy to be married to. If only he loved me, then I'd feel better about it. Maybe I could fall in love with him too then.

A grimace sours her features. Why doesn't he love me? I've had countless men, since I was six, telling me how beautiful I am and how much they love me. Father received requests for my hand every week. He always said "No. She's to marry the Dragonlord." and they all sighed and said that it was only right, that only the Dragonlord was good enough for me. That didn't stop them trying to persuade me to run away with them though. The frown is replaced by a wistful look. I was so proud of myself then. The Dragonlord was truly a grand and worthy fiancée. No-one else measured up to the image I had of him. That was before I saw Cyndia and her beloved. They couldn't bear to be parted, even for a moment, and my one, perfect Dragonlord hadn't even met me. He never sent a letter, or a birthday present, or anything. I began to wonder if he actually knew I existed and if all the preparation was because of some figment in my mother's brain. I'd almost convinced myself that nothing was going to happen, when word came from Draqueen. That burst my bubble. The Dragonlord changed from a kindly figure to a cold and unfeeling one, who didn't care in the least about the woman who was going to have to bear his offspring.

Raseleane looks up and finds herself outside the door to her rooms. Now I know that he's kind and attractive, but... She raises a hand to the door. Why did he never want to meet me? Why did he dislike me so? Why wasn't he at least curious? Does he love someone else? She opens the door and steps inside. I'm tired. I think I'll take a nap.

"Has anyone else seen you moping around like this? Really Raseleane, you have an image to maintain."

Wilhemina approaches her daughter and fusses at her dress. There's nothing out of place, but she's done this for so long, that it's become a bonding ritual for her.

"I'm just tired mother. I'm going to lie down."

Wilhemina finishes by patting a few stray wisps of hair. "Well, I want to talk to you first. Sit down Raseleane."

The two settle down on the couch. I hope it's not another lecture, I really couldn't bear it. I've been almost free of them since we arrived in the castle. Raseleane yawns, daintily covering her mouth with her hand. I just want to rest. Wilhemina looks at her with a wide smile and a slight fire.
"Raseleane, everything's been going well. I'm sure that the Dragonlord is going to ask you officially to marry him." She bounces on her seat with barely contained excitement. "Have you decided how you're going to answer him yet?"
"Well..."
"You have two choices. A touching speech or a simple "yes". I can't decide myself, maybe we should practise both." She stands up and paces briefly. "I'll be the Dragonlord. He's thoughtful, so he'll probably pick a quiet romantic spot. We'll assume that it's the seat by the cedar grove." She places her hands behind her back and affects a deep voice. "Raseleane. You're a wonderful, beautiful, enchanting lady and I've fallen deeply in love with you. I know that we've been engaged since you were a baby, but now I want to ask you, face to face, will you be my wife?" As she finishes her speech, she looks up to see that Raseleane is frozen. "Raseleane? Will you marry me? Raseleane? For goodness sake child, what's wrong?"
"He doesn't love me. You got that bit wrong." Raseleane's voice is unemotional and her face barely moves as she speaks.
"Of course he loves you. Everyone loves you."
"Everyone but Lykouleon." With that, she lapses into silence.
Wilhemina sits beside Raseleane and tenderly reaches out to her. She places her hands on either side of Raseleane's face and gently pulls it towards her. Raseleane resists at first, but allows herself to be drawn to her mother. "Raseleane, why do you think he doesn't love you?" Her voice has never been so gentle.
"He spends time with me, a few minutes here and there, but we've never gotten into a deep discussion. As soon as I start to talk about something important, rather than just agreeing blindly with him, he drags the conversation back to something bland. He's interested in what my favourite foods are, what my prettiest dress is, but not how I feel about the best way to deal with yokai attacks, or how to stimulate the economy, or what really scares me deep inside. I just get the feeling that he doesn't want my opinion and would prefer a parrot repeating his words back to him in an admiring tone."
"All men are like that. He's scared of appearing an idiot in front of you, when he's trying so hard to impress you."
"But he's not impressive." She looks her mother straight in the eye. "I mean, he's impressive, he puts everyone at ease and he's got real charisma, but his ideas on how to defeat the yokai are childish and unworkable and he refuses to listen to reason."
"Raseleane, you didn't argue with him about his plans for Draqueen did you?" Wilhemina's voice is starting to turn from a kind, listening tone to a lecturing one.
"I just pointed out that he shouldn't put all of his eggs in one basket."
"His advisors are the ones to tell him that his plans are foolish. They've far more experience than you have schooling. You are to be his wife. You will be his support. He will need you to bolster him and encourage him when all is dark. Your job is to keep him sane. He carries the world on his shoulders and he will need you." She snorts. "A man does not tell his wife anything, he does as he pleases. This one is no different."
"But Cyndia..." she pleads.
"She married beneath her. Men who are wealthy do not need wealthy wives, but women need powerful husbands or they will never have power. We also have another problem, since age is no bar to marriage for a man, but it is for a woman. Most powerful men can afford to wait another ten years for a younger, prettier wife. Women do not have that luxury. You must marry and you must marry quickly, or you will never be wed. Most marry when they are young and impressionable. In fact, most human women are about sixteen, still children and thus easily moulded to their husband's wishes. You can strive for your own identity once you have produced an heir. Once you've made a baby, your position is secure and you cannot be replaced."
"But, is it fair to him, to marry him, when I'm not happy about it?"
"Those of lower birth have nothing to lose if worst comes to worst and they leave their home. You have everything to lose. If you leave the Dragonlord now, you will never marry. No-one will touch you in case they lose favour with him. You have no choice. His eye is upon you and if you refuse him, you will ruin us!"
Raseleane looks away and speaks softly. "Would it be so bad if I never married?"
Wilhemina drags her attention back. "You are the only one who can provide an heir to the dragon kingdom. The worst that can happen is that an accident or a yokai assault, or the overconfidence that you see, kills the Dragonlord and there is no heir. The needs of the many, the need of the kingdom for an heir and a stable Lord, outweighs your need for a devoted husband and a happy homelife. Think how selfish and small that sounds. Your looks could snare many a man, but your dragoneyes will mark you out wherever you go. Everyone will know that you betrayed the Dragonlord and his kingdom."

Raseleane looks up, her hands shaking and her eyes brimming with tears. Wilhemina wipes them and speaks firmly.
"You are the only one who can marry him. There is no other. If you do not, then the line of the Dragonlord will end. Raseleane, you must decide what is really important. You must decide if you can lead a married life with him. For if you cannot, then we are doomed."


The cedar grove is alien and disquieting in the moonlight. It's also heart-achingly beautiful. The chill she feels is only increased when her companion rises from the seat and places his hands on her bare shoulders.

"Raseleane. I was hoping to meet a beautiful and endearing woman and I was afraid that I'd meet a harridan with no kindness or empathy, someone totally unsuitable that I'd be forced to share my life with." He laughs. "I'm glad that all of my fears were laid to rest. I want to look after you. I want to raise children with you and I want to grow older with you. Will you marry me?"
"Yes."


Raseleane's mum obviously has issues with her own marriage. She's got a very old-fashioned, outdated view of marriage, even for the time depicted in the story. (I have no idea how Mineko Okhami would portray marriage, but I hope that she'd agree about Raseleane's mum.) If she'd given different advice, maybe about caring and sharing, (Friends reference. It was on the telly earlier) it's highly likely that Raseleane and Lykouleon would have talked seriously about her fears and the Dragonlord's expectations and everything would be hunky dory right now. Still, you did notice that angst is in the genre description, right?
The one thing that I'm really worried about is that one of the books makes my story redundant before I'm finished. Huge pressure to finish then. Two chapters to go.

I'm sorry if this chapter is a little rushed. I've been distracted since the draft was finished as I just got Dark Cloud 2. I haven't been able to polish it properly, but it's been a week since the draft was done, so I'm putting it up as it is. I may purty it up a bit in a few days, once I've got less enamoured of Dark Cloud 2.