Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Portrait ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Portrait
 
Disclaimer: all character within property of mineko ohkami.
 
-
 
 
There's a portrait hanging in the Dragon castle, hidden away in one of the several hundred guest bedrooms scattered around the castle for some unfathomable reason (can't they be all in one wing or something?).
 
It's a very good portrait, of course, with two boys -men, really- and a girl sitting in between them. All three are attractive, and dressed in all their finery. From the irritable look on the face of the darker-haired boy, the pose and clothes cannot be comfortable (or what he is used to) but the white-blond boy and the dark girl hold non-committal expressions (born and bred aristocracy, those two) which somehow manage to convey the impression that they are both bored out of their skulls.
 
The artist was very good, because even through canvas and paint there's a little shading in their faces- these three were very good friends once.
 
So it doesn't surprise Cesia when she reads the plaque beneath the portrait (which reads: The Dragon Knight of Light, The Dragon Knight of Wind and The Lady Raselene, Betrothed of the Dragon Prince) and sees Nadil's face glower out of the portrait, because he hates them so.
 
He loved them, once.
 
Once, they were everything in the world to him.
 
She looks at the portrait again, before closing the door on it.
 
It's just another picture in another guest room.
 
Just another piece of a precious, festering past.
 
-
 
I'll bet anybody my next months allowance this will come up canon sooner or later.