Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Rune's Quest for Peace ❯ The joys of Meditation can be yours! ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I don't need another story, but last weekend, I went home, with no access to a computer and no notes printed. So even though I had my stories on disc, I couldn't do any work on them. So I started this one. It's a possible one of three linked stories. Guess the titles of the other two.

Anyway, this is my first story focusing on the Dragon Knights. Setting, is sort of pre-horribly-angsty Rath.

No pairings, it's pure adventure.


The water rippled, surged and waves crashed onto the banks of the pond. The blonde ignored it all, his hands loosely resting on his crossed legs, his stiff back attempting to radiate oneness with all things. The agitated water continued to thrash and small bubbles formed on the bottom of the pool, as the voices grew louder. Two indistinct figures emerged from the tree-line and after a whispered conversation, a small boulder was launched. It whistled past the unheeding blonde and plunged into the pond. The resulting splash sounded like a mountain had fallen and steam rose from the wound left by the rock. The water didn't settle, it swirled round and round, bubbling furiously and hissing sibilantly, until the force provided by the water, forced the rock out again. It landed ten metres from the shadowy pair and broke into fragments that scorched the wood, grass and ground. The figures screamed, as scalding dust covered them.

Hi there, My name's Rune and I'm a Dragon Knight. It doesn't involve as much fighting as you'd think, mostly because one of my partners calls dibs on all the demons we meet. He's one of the screaming twosome, rolling in the grass right now. The other's called Thatz. Surprisingly, he can cause just as much trouble for us as Rath. He used to be a thief and I'm not sure if he ever, officially, gave up that profession. Let's just say that a lot of treasure ends up in his pockets. Honestly, I think his lust for gold rivals Rath's lust for demon slaughter. Rath's complicated.

I've seen my future. When I grow up, well, older, if those two don't die horrible, in ironic situations, then I'm going to turn into Alfeegi. Who's Alfeegi? He's someone I don't want to be. Dragons normally live long lives, but I think that Alfeegi may actually explode some day soon. So, I need to accept my companions madness with grace and decorum. I need complete oneness with the universe and I need it fast!

"Rune! We thought you'd never wake up!"

Their false concern was truly touching. Rune waited until Rath and Thatz reached the pool, before responding. Shouting is not conducive to transcendental oneness. (Transcendental Oneness and You! page 5)

"I wasn't asleep. I was meditating," he said quietly, "as I have been, every day since we returned to the castle."

The wind ruffled appreciatively through his hair, rippling it, like seaweed in an underwater current. Rune's smug sense of mystic connection was soon shot down by Rath.

"You may think it's all right to snooze all day, but even Lykouleon's suggested that you're too rusty to go on our next mission," he said scornfully.

Rune's heart leapt at the thought of being left behind. Sure, there was a twinge that his skills were being maligned. Sure, no-one likes their liege lord suggesting that they're too lazy, to carry out their duties properly. Sure, none of them understood that realising the essential nature of being, would whomp up his magical control of water and lead to a healthier life and a better person. But, a whole month without Thatz? Without Rath?

"Don't worry," he said, clapping him on the back. "We told Lykouleon that we wouldn't go without you."
"'He may not be much cop in a fight,' we said, 'but his good looks have shaved the cost of our meals and board and that's got to have some value,'" Thatz added, beaming. "Alfeegi couldn't agree fast enough."

The water blurbled. "Let the words of others not harm you, for their opinions are as pigs in hay." (Ease stress with Pao Tzu, page 35)

"Oh really?" said Rune, his shoulders slumped. "When're we going?" he sighed.

Rath and Thatz eyed each other, before Rath spoke. "You might have time to pack, if you run. Tetheus's meeting us by the North Gate in half an hour."

A mini-whirlpool formed in the centre of the pool. It whirled across the surface, sucking in a water-spider and an unfortunate toad, before petering out. The surface remained uneasy, after its passing and several more threatened to break out. Rune looked skyward, his fingers pressed closely together and unheard words hissing out of his clenched teeth.

"Rune?" Thatz asked tremulously.
"Okay!" Rune answered, far too loudly. "Half an hour? No problem! I'm sure it'll be ... great! Looking forward to it. Lovely! I'll go pack, shall I?"

Bubbles began to form once more.

"Great!" Rath clapped him on the back. "Only you'd better hurry. We'll meet you there."
"No problem," he hissed. "Great"

The water surged and calmed as Rune ran off. Rath and Thatz watched him, completely missing the return of flies, toads and waterfowl to the previously agitated pond. A small otter slid in for a nice cooling swim and various insects pottered about its grassy bank.

"Do you think we should have told him, that we've actually got an hour and a half?" Thatz asked.
"Nah," said Rath. "You know how long it takes him to pack."