Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Steal The Covers ❯ Ruwalk ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"He looks terrible," I said, watching him stagger past. "Must have been some night."
"Who does?" asked Cernozura. We'd just met in the corridor and I stopped to chat to her, as always.
"Look at me ... now over my shoulder, the left one," I instructed, trying to be subtle about it. "Don't laugh," I said as giggles spilled out from her mouth. "I was good enough to keep them in, you should try too. The dignity of the Dragon tribe seems to be left with us."

My pompous tone amused her as much as the poor drunk did. It was good to see her smile. Her entire face changed and you couldn't help but join in.

"He's trying so hard to hide it," she cried. "Poor guy, I haven't seen shakes that bad since ... since the Dragonlord's last birthday party.
"Nu-ah," I replied. "You didn't see Alfeegi the first time he read one of Kai-Stern's expense reports."
"What?" she asked, eyes wide and mouth dropping open.

I leaned forward until I was just at her level. This was a good story and I liked telling it.

"He used to just sign them, without reading a word. Kai-Stern got used to it and, well, put rather too much down to expenses. The first time Alfeegi actually read through one, ooh, Kai'd been getting away with murder for fourteen years. I think there were bets laid on how long it'd be until Alfeegi caught on."
"So who won?" she asked.
"It wasn't me," I sighed. "I was sure that he'd crack before the first year was up."

That rare grin peeked out again. She used to smile a lot more and I missed it. It faded when she dared a furtive peek at our friend. My mood faded with her.

"I wonder what he was trying to forget?" she asked.
"Huh?" I was thrown for a loop. I mean, I was still trying to think of other pithy remarks that would use his misfortune for my benefit. I had been so busy and stressed and all I wanted to do was relax, joke and enjoy having a bit of attention; a bit of her attention, all to myself.

"When anyone gets that deep into their cups, there's usually a reason," she said, lines creasing her forehead.

There's a depth to Cernozura. She doesn't take the easy path and just laugh at what appears to be an amusing situation. She always probes the currents running underneath, in an attempt to understand why something is the way it is. It could be something to do with having to clean up afterwards, but it's annoying when you're trying to impress her.

"Maybe it's because of a love affair gone tragically wrong?" I offered, trying to get back to the lighter tone of our early conversation. She didn't join me, frowning instead and turning aside. It seemed that recently, no matter how long we talked, we didn't manage to connect. Was there always this distance between us?

"Perhaps the Dragonlord has something planned for him, some dangerous mission," she pondered.

I didn't say anything. I knew exactly what was ahead of him. It's really not surprising that he tried to drown his sorrows.

"It's just rare to see him in such a state," she continued.
"Maybe he usually just hides it better," I interrupted her. That's not good. You never interrupt someone when they're speaking. That's rule one. Damn.

"I've changed my mind," she said suddenly, an impish grin reappearing. "He's not the type to drink to forget."
"You think he drank to celebrate?" I offered, relieved that the tone was getting goofy once more.

I often thought of myself as the object of desire for the castle. Lykouleon and I ... well, we'd lots of jokes about that when we were younger. Now he's married and I'm not. We don't joke about how attractive we are anymore. Sometimes I wonder if my allure has faded. I'd often hoped that I was the one who put that smile on her lips. It would mean that I wasn't a joke myself.

"Almost certainly," she said, leaning in confidentially, for the first time since we met. I waited for that delicate hand to reach out to mine.
"Who do you think it was?" I asked, getting into position.
"Hmm," she mumbled, eyes alive with mischief.
"I know," I said, trying to think of the most unlikely suspect. "Alfeegi!"
She laughed out loud. "Goodness no!"
"Really?" I asked, leaning in, my nose inches from her own and then whispering conspiratorially, "Is he yours?"

She pulled back, laughing again, but without touching me. Something seems to have changed. I wonder if it's me?

"I wouldn't sleep with Alfeegi," she laughed.
"Why-ever not?" I asked, my eyebrow arched in mock suspicion.
"He steals the covers."


Still trying to improve. If you've anything to point out that can help, please let me know.