Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ What about me? ❯ What About Me? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I'm getting tired of being the self-possessed one. I mean, my life's been hard too: I don't know who, or what my parents were, or even if I've any living family; I was raised by a man-eating witch in a swamp; I've been fought over by heartless demons and unfathomable dragons; I've never had control of my own destiny. Sure, I had good friends growing up, but I still don't know how I'm so well adjusted.

I never grew up in a palace, with a loving family. I wasn't toyed with by Kharl, the Alchemist, but I've been the pawn of the Dark Lord, Nail and I had to eat human flesh, which tastes awful and is fattening. The witch couldn't cook, either, so I'd to eat badly-burnt human flesh, until I learned how to tackle a pot and chop vegetables.

I mean, what is it with me and angsty guys? There's not much substance where there's so much self-obsession. When you're consumed by yourself, you've nothing left to give to another. Then again, Rath does have some friends, somehow; ones he hasn't alienated himself from, with some imagined slight. When he forgets that he's supposed to be tortured, he can be fun and interesting.

He does listen, but I wish he'd get over himself. Worse things happen at sea. You don't get anywhere with a negative attitude. Mushrooms add a nice flavour to a dull soup.

Maybe he'll grow out of it.

He can't see where he's been lucky, he only sees the bad bits. I suppose, when there's so little, really, to be ungrateful for, you really have to work at making your problems insurmountable and poutable.

On the other hand, he is cute and there are so few prospects interesting enough to hold my attention. Without his stupid self-obsession, maybe he'd loose all substance? It does make him what he is and when you like someone, you have to like everything about them. Like them for what they are. Love even their stupidities.

I suppose I could put up with it. I'm pretty busy and if he was less obsessed, then he might want more of my attention. I don't think I've that much time to give, really. Could you imagine if he wanted to hang around me all the time? Or worse, what if he switched his obsession to me? It'd be terrible, suffocating! Everywhere I went, there he'd be: asking questions; disparaging whatever he didn't like or understand; making my friends uncomfortable. Zoma's already wary of him.

No. He'd better stay exactly as he is. Don't you dare change, Rath Illuser. The alternative could be far worse.