El Hazard Fan Fiction ❯ The wanderer's Path ❯ The road and the Zenmai ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The wanderer's Path
chapter 2: The road and the Zenmai
 
Based on El Hazard OVA's + tv2.
Version 1.0.0
PG-13.
 
This is my first attempt to write a fanfiction based of anything and I cannot promise I will ever be able to finish it. El hazard belongs to Pioneer as do most of the characters included in this fanfiction. I want to apologize in advance for borrowing (m)any ideas from other people who write El hazard fanfiction and whose skill I can never hope to achieve. Also you have to know that English is not my native language. If I used my native language it would be Greek to you. Literally. So I really need a second opinion (and a third, and a fourth..) as well as any C&C you can spare. My e-mail address is: b_archaon@yahoo.com .
 
People on the Net argue about Ura's gender but if you look carefully the OVA 1's episode number 4, just after Ifurita blasts Ura, it is obvious it is male. I will use the names from the subtitled Japanese version so, for example, Groucho's name will be Katsuo.
Warning: In this chapter there is a certain 4 letters word that starts with F… You have been warned.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
 
People in the future will regard us
lunatics because of what we have created.
Perhaps they are right, but I truly hope they
never find out how much potential we have locked or hidden.
~ Unknown scientist journal, during Holy wars.
 
*Last month was really a full one* , he thought, as he made some more adjustments.
He turned to one of the scientists "Connect circuit #GR23 at the third output and feed it some more power"
"What channel should I use my lord?"
He closed his eyes and concentrated "Try number sixty-five" he answered after a while.
"Lord, they have arrived"
"Right on time. Tell them to come up here. We are ready to try it."
He turned to a green clad figure near him.
"Afura, I really appreciate that you suppress the wind currents up here, but you should conserve your strength."
"Makoto, I have been doing this for the past three weeks. It is nothing for me, but it wouldn't do for you to catch a cold. The air on the Stairway's top is cold at any season."
"You mean, I have no time to catch a cold."
A young technician, who had just finished his work, stepped into the conversation.
"All set, my lord. I don't know what we would have done without your help."
"You would have done just great. I only gave you a hand here. And I have told all of you to stop calling me *lord* . We are just partners."
" Oh, stop being so modest Makoto. All this is primary your achievement."
"True indeed, lady Afura. For all we tried, we did less progress in six months that master Makoto did in six hours. We were really helpless before him"
"Whatever", He resigned.
"Look, they are here already."
The energy elevator reached the top, bringing a really dignified crowd.
The scientist stopped working and turned to bow to the two princesses of Roshtaria, the other two priestesses of Muldoon, lord and lady Fujisawa, lady Nanami and lady Alielle.
All of them were stunned to see the top of the Stairway to the sky.
The smooth, ancient, ornate tiles were removed in many places, revealing what seemed to be alien technology. Thousands of wires, multicolored orbs, complicated circuits and other, less recognizable components were exposed almost everywhere, leaving only narrow paths of tiles.
Shayla was the first to speak.
"You have been really busy all that time" , she gasped.
Makoto smiled "I know it looks like a sorry mess right now, but we have almost finished. If today's experiment is successful, it will be as good as new in two short days."
It was Rune's turn to speak "So what do you require of us"
"The priestesses will unseal the Eye, you will fire a shot and then they will reseal it."
Everybody remained speechless. Only Afura, who knew what he meant, smiled.
"Of course" he added after a while, "nothing of those things will actually happen. It will just be an emulation."
Everybody visibly relaxed, but also became curious.
"But first, I should explain what exactly happened here. First of all, I am now sure that the Stairway to the sky was build centuries after the Eye, possibly after the holy war. If its complexity was anywhere near the Eye's, neither would we be able to fix it in less than ten years, nor would the Phantom tribe be able to sabotage it in less than a century. Fortunately it was comparatively simple."
Everybody looked around in mutual disbelief. Even if what they saw was the only machinery of the Stairway -and nobody believed that- it was still nowhere near their definition of "simple".
He continued, ignoring their gazes. "A week ago I went to the Eye and temporary disabled its link with the Stairway. The Eye will not be able to listen the commands, but we will." He indicated a complex artifact, that was the size of a man and obviously not part of the Stairway's systems, though it was connected to them.
"This is really just an emulation, to see if the orders that are sent to the Eye are correct. And I will emulate the Eye's feedback."
"So it will be safe, master Makoto?" asked Qwaoor.
"There are going to be some serious special effects, but it will be safe"
"So let's get to it then" added Shayla."
At the edge of one of the Stairway's sides, they had attached a metal platform. It seemed about to topple and throw everything on it to oblivion, but, in the past weeks, it had supported tones of weight. Makoto leaded everybody, except the three priestesses, on the platform, so that they wouldn't disrupt the unsealing. There, there was a long desk, with many seats and much equipment on it. The scientists sat behind the desk, their eyes set on the dials before them.
After making sure everything was ready, Makoto sat in the middle of the desk put his hand on an obsidian sphere-like object and motioned them to begin.
The priestesses took their positions and the podiums heard their call and ascended to link with their hands, glowing ominously.
The floor of the Stairway followed, a disk of concentrated light rapidly developing on it. The exposed systems emitted a low, threatening hum and came to life, each fulfilling its designated function.
The antennae at the sides of the Stairway reveled themselves and power surged through them.
Between two of the antennae, the crowd gasped, and considered whether their chances of survival were greater if they just jumped off the edge, but, fortunately, they felt nothing more than a slight tingle, though they had difficulty keeping their eyes exposed to the strong light.
Makoto waited for some seconds and then he linked with the sphere under his hand, mentally reading the messages the Stairway was sending to the oblivious Eye and compiling a proper response.
Rings of energy appeared around the top of the Stairway, as it concentrated vast amounts of power, and then a blinding pillar of light and energy shot upwards, creating a halo of pitch black clouds around where the Eye was supposed to be.
A storm raged for a few seconds, soaking everyone and everything within a large radius.
Then, after a flash that temporary impaired everybody's vision, the storm abruptly ended and the sky cleared, the only clue that revealed what had happened, a faint ring of faraway clouds.
As the control podiums retreated, everybody looked anxiously at the only person who stayed calm throughout the whole event.
He remained in a trance for a while longer, then opened his eyes and smiled. "A complete success" he said, answering the unasked question. "After we rest a little, and if you are ready, we can proceed to the next phase, the firing."
Fatora looked at him and said "Is this storm produced every time we unseal the Eye?
"Yes" , he answered, "It serves two purposes. To produce the necessary awe that such an action should involve and to clean the outer surfaces of the Eye. Some millennia of dirt might cause slight malfunctioning."
"You mean you knew that would happen?"
"Yes, why?"
"By the gods, wonder boy, couldn't you have set a tent or something? We are soaked to the bone."
"I could, but I wouldn't recommend it."
"And why is that?"
"It could attract thunders and we are standing on a huge semi- metal pillar already."
"Oh, well. Next time you should warn us, or I'll kill you myself."
"Point taken your Majesty" he said and bowed.
"Shut the hell up, already."
 
*****
 
That was the best way to ruin his mirth.
His spies told him some vague rumors about what was going on the top of the Stairway the last three weeks.
But the intelligence was far from perfect.
For two reasons.
He didn't want to reveal his presence.
And his spies were severely dump.
 
However, learning the Stairway was activated and seeing the special effects show again, were a mighty blow to his till-then-foolproof plans.
But after a while he was elated.
"The Eye will not respond to the call" he happily exclaimed.
Diva followed his gaze and understood what he meant.
"It remains to its former position, lord Jinnai. We have lucked out this time."
They watched for a while longer, and saw the pillar of light reaching for the Eye another two times and missing hopelessly. They failed to see the subtle differences, wrongly presuming that it was the same attempt each time.
"You have failed Mizuhara Makoto. For the first and not the last time in your life, you failed to compete with your destined rival. You failed to destroy my plans again. The damage those blue freaks did was more than a match for you." And he initiated his trademark, relentless, maniacally insane laughter.
Diva smiled but was still uneasy.
She rationally tried to believe they have failed.
Her sensors said so too.
But her instinct did not.
 
*****
 
After both the firing and the sealing tests were successful, Rune Venus talked to Makoto again, formality apparently forgotten.
"I cannot begin to find words to thank you enough Makoto. I have lost count of how many times you have helped this world."
"I just assisted your worthy scientists princess Rune. They are the ones who should be praised."
"Well, *great sorcerer and demon tamer* Makoto," said Rune, making her threat reality, " it seems to me that they were hopeless until you came here and helped them out"
"I just showed the right way to the scientists of the *mighty, omniscient, Her majesty's Rune Venus, first ruler of Roshtaria and scion of justice *."
Everybody collapsed after this one, lords, ladies and scientists alike, all letting laughter to cleanse the worry that was just lifted from their shoulders.
After a semblance of formality was regained, Rune asked. "So how much time will it take to complete the repairs?"
"We still have to make some minor tests and of course the cosmetic work as well." he said, indicating the piles of removed tiles, stored on the platform.
"I will immediately travel to the Eye and restore the Receiver so it can work again. And place a security system on it, so that there is no sabotage that can be made to the Eye itself."
Rune was thoughtful "What will we do if they try to sabotage the Stairway again? We can assign guards, but our enemies can walk the shadows without being seen."
Makoto looked her with uneasiness. "Well, the Stairway was originally equipped with a fatal security system, but it has being disabled long ago. Re-enable it would be trivial, but it has some mayor drawbacks. It works with physical keys."
He picked a small wooden box, so out of place up there, and open it. In it there where two similar looking medallions. He picked the first one, which depicted a royal crown, held it by its sides and pulled. It was separated into two uneven pieces, that locked together perfectly.
Then he did the same with the second medallion, depicting three symbols, separating it into three pieces.
"The first one belongs to the princess sisters and the second one to the three priestesses. To enter the Stairway, a whole medallion is required."
"How much safety does it provide, and would you be able to bypass it, if a loss occurred?"
"That is exactly the problem. The security is exquisite, designed to stop demon gods and kill anything weaker. I believe I could attempt to break it, but it would be very difficult."
"You would still be able to control the Eye directly."
"Theoretically, yes. But we can't be sure until I actually try and I don't thing I want to destroy something right now. The decision is yours, princess. It is a risk, but it is for safety."
"We have no choice. The Phantom tribe knows much already. We can't let them try again."
He divided the pieces to their respective owners and added." The security will be engaged automatically three days from now. Until then, I want you to triple the guards and I ask Nanami to remain here."
Nanami looked crestfallen but accepted.
Rune, realizing what Makoto would want from her said "And for those three days, everybody working here will be offered food from Shinonome dinner, charged to the palace of course."
Nanami's spirits soared.
 
Fujisawa approached his former student, face beaming with pride. "You have made it Makoto, as your former teacher I feel very happy for you. You have come a long way, boy."
Makoto smiled wearily "The path before me is still long, sensei."
"Which reminds me" said Rune, "that since lord Makoto declined to become my advisor for the time being, I want you, lord Fujisawa, to take his place."
"It would be my honor, princess, but-" A strong, concealed jab stopped him and he felt an angry glare, falling on him "-and of course I accept." He corrected.
Rune smiled guessing what had happened and turned to leave.
Alielle approached Makoto and whispered "Will it be alright to continue tonight, after the dinner"
He thought about it for a while and answered "Yes, if Fatora is available, at the usual place."
 
As the princesses and Alielle left and the mechanics made their finishing touches, Miz turned to Fujisawa. "What were you thinking dear, being ready to refuse such a hefty position."
"Well, dear, um.. Makoto refused too, and..."
"Makoto is still very young, Masamichi. And though princess Rune provides us with some money, we could surely use some more. I hope you are not growing fat and lazy, dear."
"No, Miz, not at all. But we should be leaving now. It isn't good for you to become too exited."
"Oh, don't be silly dear. The baby won't be coming for another six months. It is too early to start such talk. And I'm made of sterner stuff than what you think."
"I love you, Miz."
"Of course you do silly. Let's go now. I'm freezing up here."
 
*****
 
Nahato left Galus's room, barely able to hide his frustration.
They knew too little. They have seen the three attempts to use the Stairway. To most it would have seem a failure. But Galus and Nahato who knew much about the Eye and also knew what they had sabotaged, were far from convinced. Nahato had recorded the attempts and they had seen them again and again. At last they agreed that the Eye was probably functional again. *Due to that damn Earthling * he thought furiously. And now they could not approach the Stairway. The guard was numerous and Galus's influence was waning. But that wouldn't be a problem. They can't hit what they can't see. Except.. *Except that other trice damned Earthling who can see through our illusions and is now posted there most of the time. *
He had again asked permission from Galus to kill those formidable foes.
But his master was adamant "They are not to be touched." That was the order.
*Perhaps I could follow my master's footsteps *, he thought.
*Perhaps I should disobey him and end those fools *
*He couldn't prove I did it.*
He had to think about it.
Master couldn't always be right...
 
*****
 
*Five hundred each week. * , he thought.
He was walking through the metal corridors with ease.
*Five hundred powerful soldiers each week*
His face fell *But they are born dump. They can become smarter but it takes time and effort. Katsuo is the living proof.*
He remembered what he had learned about the bugrom a month ago.
Diva was, much like Ifurita, a cyborg. She was the peculiar mix of a human, an insect and a machine. She has escaped by sheer coincidence, her master dying in the hands of an assassin, leaving his final command unfinished. That command could be interpreted as him setting her free.
Since he was dead, she was more than happy to run away. She was strong, but inferior to even the least of demon gods. Her function was mostly to breed soldiers. And the soldiers were partly mechanic as well. But the mechanical parts and their bio-metallic armors were not implanted. They grew exactly as a limp might. But they were still machinery.
He thought about something else *I'm sharing my bed with a machine * oh, well. If the "Bug" part was not bothering him anymore, why would the "machine" part?
He returned to his original thought. *That means twenty-six thousand soldiers per year. *
It was a formidable force, but not enough for his goals.
*I have to initiate a training program. A smart Bugrom is better than three ordinary *
As he walked, he touched the sturdy metal wall.
*Kalia was useless, but her sleeping place is a convenient new hive. Half of the work was already done and the materials are much more resilient. *
The metal corridor became a dug tunnel, which ended in a large cavern. The second tunnel, almost opposite from this one, was leading outside, its entrance hidden. The cavern was full of large metallic components. The pieces of the trigger. As he entered the cave, he saw the last pair of bugrom carrying a huge piece and followed by a really happy Katsuo.
^gruble, screech, grouble^
"Yes, yes, Katsuo, I'm happy to see you too. Is that the last?"
^creek ^
"You did a fine job this time Katsuo. You are worthy to be my second in command. With soldiers like you the victory is ours. So I appoint you the first bugrom teacher. Your job will be to teach your young brothers all the wisdom I have given you. You can thank me later Katsuo, just start working you lazy bug."
He took a rolled parchment and opened it, pinning it to the wall, so that all five hundred soldiers could see it
"Now I want your attention here. You will open a tunnel to that nearby forest. By that way we can carry supplies without being spotted."
They cheered him as one.
"Then you will continue the tunnel until you reach the Holy river of god"
The cheer was quieter.
"and, of course, you will dig many side tunnels to confuse any enemy that might try to spot our main base."
Nobody cheered.
"*Now* it is time to show how much you like my plan" he growled.
They cheered him as one.
 
*****
 
*So everything went as planed. The Eye is fully functional and now I can leave so tha-*
His train of thought was interrupted by a familiar voice.
"Good morning Makoto."
"Hi, Nanami. What can I do for you?"
*forget her and look at me* "I brought you some lunch of course. I will even leave it to you at half the price."
"Thank you, Nanami. You really shouldn't bother about me so much. You must be busy after two days looking for Phantom tribals."
"Nonsense, if I wouldn't care about you, who would?"
She froze as she heard the familiar voice.
"Makoto, are you home? I brought you some of my special chilly. It is my best recipe and I really want you to-..Ah, Nanami. You are here too?"
"Well, yes. And Makoto can't eat your chilly, because I already brought him food."
*I will just ignore them and continue my work*
He connected two weird looking devices using a large cable.
"So what? He must be bored from eating the same food every day."
"Nobody is bored of my food. Professional secret."
*Just pretend they are not here*
He placed a sphere globe inside one of the devices and closed the lid.
"Professional food has no chance against homemade one"
"I wouldn't dare to imagine what kind of ingredients you used."
*They will *not* distract me*
He plugged the device on a power source flipped the switch and linked to the device.
"Look who's talking. You probably make his food from stale ingredients you want to spend"
"My food is *always* fresh. Especially Makoto's."
*I might make some progress today after all*
He placed a small solar sail on the table and connected it with the a small cube etched with runes.
"So why would you charge him only half the price. You are not the charity type, I think"
"I do that because he is my dear friend, that's why."
*Look at the good side. This cannot became any worse*
He placed the cube on the device.
"Good morning to all of you. Master Makoto, miss Shayla, miss Nanami."
*I could be wrong* "Good morning Qwaoor, what-"
"Don't tell me you brought food to Makoto, too" said Nanami, indicating the large basket Qwaoor was holding.
"If you did, forget about it. I brought him the best food he'll ever need for today's lunch."
"Oh no, miss Shayla. I didn't brought him lunch. I just made some cookies. In fact I imagined you would be here, so I made enough for the four of us"
Both Shayla and Nanami looked at her as wanting to murder her.
Makoto tried hard not to laugh aloud.
"Did I say something wrong? I assure you there are enough cookies even for Ura."
*Darn, I must save her now* "You did well Qwaoor. After lunch I would really like some cookies."
"Oh, I'm so happy, master Makoto. I hope you like them."
"Well, after Makoto eats my chilly he can try a few cookies"
"And why would he want to eat your chilly"
*Here we go again.*
He placed a metal halo-like artifact on the floor and plugged it with a cable on the solar sail.
"Why would he want to eat *your* food"
"Because it is the best of course. When did *you* learn to cook anyway?"
"There is no need to quarrel, miss Nanami, miss Shayla. I have already eaten. You three can share the food so it won't be wasted."
*Just great. If I save her again, they will just continue harder*
He used a small antigravity gadget to keep a blue glowing sphere suspended above the halo.
Both Nanami and Shayla shouted "Shut up, Qwaoor"
"But you should stop shouting. You might distract master Makoto"
*A bit too late for that anyway*
He flipped the switch again and sparkling white cone field appeared, its base the halo its peak the suspending sphere.
*And it's a success gentlemen. Another small step towards-*
"Oh, its beautiful, master Makoto."
"It's white as snow"
"White as a bride dress"
"What do you know about dresses Shayla?"
"What do *you* know Nanami?"
"Definitely more than you ever will?"
"And why is that?"
"You would burn it anyway."
"So this is what you thing, lunch box girl?"
"This is what I thing, hothead."
"You will pay for this."
"Bring it on then"
Makoto walked between them and tried to stop them.
Big mistake.
They both pushed him so hard, he toppled a table, sending numerous small artifact flying.
A sealing circuit, one identical to the one they had used in Cretaria, landed close to the girls.
And a second sphere as the one that was suspended at the top of the energy cone, landed on the first.
Very big mistake.
At first there was a large exposion.
Then a blinding flash.
And then darkness.
He felt his feet rising from the ground.
"I'm gonna die" he shouted *No, think rationally. You need light. An artifact in your pocket.*
He found a little globe. When he touched it, a bright light illuminated the world.
All three girls looked at him.
"What has happened Makoto?" said Nanami.
"Where are we now?" said Shayla.
"Are you alright master Makoto?" asked Qwaoor.
*They are all alright, but where are we. Why do I always get so messed up.*
They where floating inside a black sphere, along with most things in the room.
Then they needed the light globe no more. The sphere was obviously made of energy. A multitude of small energy veins appeared on its inner surface. The sphere started to shrink slowly.
"Are we about to travel to another dimension, Makoto?" asked Shayla.
A small wooden table that was floating near the circular wall, touched it. And disintegrated, filling the sphere with dust.
"That answers your question?"
Shayla fired her Lamp and sent a powerful blast towards the black wall.
And swore an ancient Muldoon curse as she tried to cover everybody from the flames that filled the sphere.
"Let me try, miss Shayla." Said Qwaoor, determination reflected on her face.
She created a battering ram of concentrated water and sent it flying towards the ever shrinking wall. The sound nearly deafened them. That hit could have punched through three meters of solid rock. But if it affected the energy wall in some way, there was no sign of it.
She started hitting relentlessly, to no avail.
*Think, Makoto. How do we escape from here. Think. You cannot die yet. Not before you find her. And Nanami, your childhood friend. And Shayla, full of life and fire. And Qwaoor, sweet innocent Qwaoor. You cannot let them die. Think*
Then he heard a voice in his head #antimagnetic field level 8 verified. Use of technique number 234 recommended to avoid severe damage #
He opened his eyes. He first noticed that the sphere was smaller now, just two meters radius.
Then he looked at what he had just touched.
The power stuff key.
Ifurita's Zenmai.
He had tried before to link with it, but there ware barriers to stop unauthorized access to its deeper functions. He had not tried very hard until now.
*Well this is as a good time as will ever be. Especially if we die here.*
He grabbed the Zenmai and concentrated hard.
He heard Shayla's voice "Well I guess this is it. There was something I always wanted to tell you Makoto. You know I.. I really love you."
Then he heard Nanami's voice "Me too Makoto. Would you kiss me for one time before we..
Hey, are you even listening? What are you doing with this useless staff? We are dying here and you think about her. Forget her Makoto. There is still time."
"Yes forget her. I love you much more than her." Added Shayla, and started to cry.
"Leave master Makoto alone. He is trying to save us. He is in a trance. He can't hear us."
*I can hear everything, but, because there is a slim hope to get out of here in one piece I will pretend I heard nothing. Now, technique 234. I have.. to try.. harder..*
The Zenmai started to glow and making an ominous charging sound.
And the sealing circuit, which was now floating in the middle of the sphere, responded, pointing at the Zenmai and glowing equally strong.
"What is he doing, Nanami?"
"Don't know Shayla. I didn't even know he could use that thing."
"I know what he is doing, miss Shayla. He is trying to save us."
"You really believe that Qwaoor?"
"Yes, miss Nanami. I have faith in master Makoto. He will save us"
*Thank you Qwaoor. Perhaps your words will save us all.*
He broke the last barrier.
A golden, semi-transparent shield appeared around them. The black sphere reached it and it produced an earsplitting, high pitched screech, like a fork on a plate.
#Warning. Energy levels low. The shield will be maintained for thirty seconds from now #
*Oh, no. Not that. I can't quit now.*
#Twenty-five #
*I have to control the shield*
#Twenty #
*Make it expand*
#Fifteen #
*Force the Sphere to explode*
#Ten #
*That is the only way*
#Five #
*Just hope nobody is around*
# Zer..#
 
*****
 
For the past month she had been working constantly.
She would not sleep. She didn't have to.
She would not eat or drink. There was no need.
What she need was to help.
She was writing with inhuman speed, all letters identical, as if printed.
She could just link with him and teach him everything in seconds.
But she didn't want to sense the feeling of the link again. It was intoxicating. It was unique. It was still painful for her.
For her, two months were nothing. Though most of her life she had been sleeping- no, suspended- she had been active for more than three thousand years before she was awakened by Yuba. Three thousand years of slaughter.
*If I can give him this knowledge without him knowing, so much the better.*
#antimagnetic field of high level spotted #
She stopped thinking and stared at the general location of the signal. Floristica.
*I hope he didn't do anything stupid *
antimagnetic fields where highly unstable and highly dangerous.
The next sensor input took her off guard.
#demon god activity detected. Ion shield engaged #
At first her heart soared *He did it he brought her back. *
Then she realized what had happened.
*It took Yuba ten years to use my Zenmai. And your Ifurita is much more powerful than me. Perhaps *I* could use your help. I can't copy attacks as fast or as good as her. *
She smiled and resumed her work.
 
*****The first explosion was not enough to alert her.
Afura was flying above the palace, close to Makoto's house.
She thought about checking what caused the explosion, but decided against it.
Minor explosions were common in Makoto's house. And Ura was with him.
But after a couple of minutes she saw him walking towards his master's home.
*Alright, I'll go to check then*
Then Makoto's house crumbled as a black sphere expanded rabidly and then exploded.
She almost lost fell from the sky.
When she looked again at where Makoto's house used to be, all she saw was a great crater. The explosion had also destroyed a portion of the palace outer wall, miraculously hurting nobody.
Then Afura looked at the center of the crater. And saw them.
She reached them at the same time as Ura did.
*God, they are still alive. Not even wounded, just some minor scratches.*
He called for help and started moving them out of the crater. Then she tried to remove the Power key staff from Makoto's death-grip, to no avail.
*The only way to remove it is to break the fingers of both of his hands. What just happened to them?*
The first one to recover was Shayla. She looked around, then gazed at Afura.
She answered without waiting the question. "They are okay. Nobody was seriously hurt."
Shayla sighed, stood up and run away. She made no sound, but Afura could tell she was crying.
 
Then it was Nanami's turn. She opened her eyes and said "Are we still alive?"
Afura nodded. Nanami stood up. "I..I can't face him for now. It was my..."
She just walked away.
 
The third one was Qwaoor. She blinked a few times, stood up, put a hand on Makoto's face, sighed and started to cry. But her tears were tears of happiness.
She looked at Afura and smiled "I knew he could save us, miss Afura, I believed in him and I prayed."
"Could you please calm down and explain me what the exactly just happened?"
After Qwaoor finished the story, Makoto rose. "How are the others. He asked."
The answer relieved him. "It was my fault" he sighed, "I should never try something so dangerous with them around." He looked at the staff and sighed *at least something good came out of this mess*
As soon as he rose, Qwaoor embraced him. "I knew you would save us master Makoto"
He smiled "Thank you Qwaoor. Without your help, we would be dead now."
"But, I could do nothing, master Makoto. You alone saved us"
"You said you believed in me. You helped me to believe in myself."
Qwaoor just stood there and regarded him with awe.
He walked towards the crater. "Let's she if I can save something out of this sorry ruin."
 
*****
 
The place was close to Floristica, but it was deserted. Nothing grew here anymore. It was the place where Shayla was usually training.
An explosion blew up another rock.
*I almost killed them*
She took a sip from the bottle.
Chunks of rocks scattered everywhere.
*My friends and the man I love*
The wine was vicious stuff. She didn't mind.
A multitude of fireballs hit the face of a hill
*I had to come so close to death to find the courage to tell him how I feel*
A second empty bottle hit the ground.
A large fireball ascended the sky and exploded like a firework.
*And when he was trying to save us I couldn't even believe in him.*
She opened the third bottle.
A huge crater appeared seemingly out of nowhere.
*God, I am pathetic*
“Shayla”
“Afura, go away”
“No”
Shayla turned to regard the fellow priestess furiously, ready to burn her to the bone.
Then she saw her eyes. The eyes of the only person that could ever be remotely regarded as family. No pity. Just sincere understanding.
She could take it no more.
She hugged the priestess of wind and started sobbing.
“I…I almost…over a silly squabble”
“I know what happened. Nanami was as responsible as you.”
“Qwaoor could believe in him. I…I would only have distracted him.”
“That is the way Qwaoor is, Shayla. Goodhearted and naïve”
“He probably doesn't want to see me again…”
“He was worried about you, Shayla. He even blamed himself”
Shayla regained her composure just enough to stop sobbing.
“How could he blame himself. The only thing he did was save us.”
“He says his experiment was too dangerous.”
She smiled bitterly “Every experiment would be dangerous with people brawling around it.”
“You have to understand that he doesn't blame you. And now you do good to nobody.”
She indicated the empty bottles.
“So, what should I do?”
“I think he could use some help right now. Qwaoor can be a great help but she is alone.”
“Qwaoor helps him?”
“Yep. And I learned something else about him too.”
She told her what Fujisawa had told her yesterday.
The bottle hit the ground and shattered.
She hurried back to the city.
But then she turned back. “Thank you, Afura”
As soon as she left, Afura sighed. “Silly girl. How many times have we done that before?”
 
*****
She asked him as soon as he entered the room “Are you unhurt, Makoto”
There was nobody else in the room. “Just some scratches, Rune. Your palace is in worst shape than myself.”
“Oh, I heard what happened, Makoto. Don't blame yourself. It was those two silly girls.”
“At least they are alive. It was both unexpected and lethal. We are really lucky.”
She regarded what he was holding “So this is your new lucky charm?”
He smiled as he looked at what he was holding. “Just a reminder I think”
Ifurita's Zenmai.
“And a formidable weapon and shield”
“If I figure out how to use it. It is more complex than the Stairway.”
“At least now I can again have you staying in the palace. That is if you wish to.”
“Choosing that little house was an attempt to find something like solitude. Just fooling myself I think.”
“So where would you like your new quarters, Makoto?”
“Everywhere would be fine but somewhere close to the library…”
“Say nothing more. It is settled.”
“I wanted to ask you something more.”
“Anything for you Makoto. You are my friend and our savior.”
“I would like to borrow a small cruiser.”
She raised a brow “going somewhere?”
“Well yes, but I really want to keep it confidential for, obvious reasons”
“You will do something dangerous again.”
He smiled “Just a bit of research”
She sighed “You can take any cruiser you wish, Makoto, but I don't see how you can sneak out of the palace. Unfortunately, the servants are really talkative. I learn everything that happens in the palace in mere minutes.”
“Well I do have a way to do it”
He left the room.
 
*****
He walked towards the restaurant ready for almost anything. He knew what had happened and knew what his duty dictated. *Nanami is a rational girl. She can't be so wrecked as Afura said Shayla was.
It was afternoon. But the restaurant was closed. “Is it so bad?” he gasped.
He ignored the “closed” sign and gently opened the door.
She was leaning on the counter.
Bawling her eyes out.
He approached her and placed his hand on her back.
She didn't even had to raise her eyes. She knew who that was.
“Oh, sensei, what have I done. I almost killed all of us. If I knew…”
He shushed her “It's alright. He doesn't blame you. Just himself. And nobody was hurt.”
She was a little more relaxed now. “What should I do now?”
“Well, I'm surprised you forgot. You always remembered it till now. Don't tell me you don't count our days in this world.”
She thought about it for a while.
“Of course. How could I forget. In two days right? Oh, thank you sensei. I have so much work to do if I want to manage. Have you told princess Rune?”
“Of course. That was my first comment as a royal advisor. She almost gave me a medal for that one.”
 
*****
 
He looked at his new house. Five palace rooms. His former house could fit in any of those rooms. “This time you overdid it Rune. It's extravagant even for the palace.”
He sighed and sat down on his bed. A bed four times larger than the standard ones.
The Power key staff was still in his hands.
“It could sure help to learn how to use it” he said aloud, his voice filling the room.
He reached it with his mind. It was much easier now. He knew the way.
#Access granted. Primary sensors not detected. Secondary sensors engaged #
He gasped and almost lost the link. Through the Zenmai, he saw numerous different images of the room. Infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, sonar, heat patterns, sound patterns, smells.
Then the images grew. He could sense the palace. He felt the power of the Eye. And he saw the general location of Yuba's Ifurita.
He had to severe the link, lest he lose his sanity.
*Well, I have to control the sensor output, to focus on no more than one or two at a time.*
He tried again. It took him half an hour, but now he could focus easier. “like learning to use an extra limb” he thought aloud. “let's see what else I can do”
#sensors powered down. Scanning database. Access denied to Ifurita #
*Intresting. She is not supposed to see those logs. But I can.*
#Subject verified as not Ifurita. Access granted. #
*Technical logs. Let's learn more about the Power key staff. *
He was now exited despite himself, the life threatening incident temporary forgotten.
#Summary about Zenmai, Ifurita's power key staff. #
#Almost a part of Ifurita's body, nearly indestructible, it consists of three main sectors that do not reflect to its physical image. The Power part, the Central part and the Weapon part #
*Input: weapon part *
#The weapon part either helps Ifurita focus her attacks, or is exclusively used to attack as a back up system. # *So theoritically I should be able to use all the techniques she can *
#Energy is generally easier manipulated by the lower end of the Zenmai. #
#Matter is generally easier manipulated by the upper end of the Zenmai. #
*But any end can do any job. Talk about efficiency. *
#The weapon part integrates the secondary Zenmai energy capacitor, used to fire its attacks. #
*Input: central part *
#The central part is the part currently interacting. Totally digital, it acts as one of Ifurita's inner advisors, controls the back up sensors of the Zenmai and keeps back up logs. It integrates a low A.I. function. It has a limited ability to learn new techniques #
*I wonder what kinds of logs it keeps. Input: log types. *
#The Zenmai holds technical logs, sensor logs, command logs and back up logs of some simple techniques. #
He felt elated. *Open the techniques log.*
#Log opened. References 65.765. Fully recorded techniques 1.564. 85% free space. #
His heart missed a beat *Search for space-time manipulation and travel*
#Searching. Results found 10: short range teleportation full record. Long range teleportation simple reference. Eye of god transdimensional emulation…#
He stopped breathing. He might find a way to bring her back now.
#… simple reference.. #
He broke the link in frustration, slamming the Staff on the floor, nearly cracking the tiles.
After a while he calmed down. *Well, too good to be true I guess * he lamented.
One way or the other, he linked again and opened the log.
He was glad he did. The “simple reference” was consisted of a 500.000 words summary of the basic procedure and the initiating of the actual technique.
*Sweet mother of pearl. I need to learn much more before I can even attempt to read that thing. This must have been sent here the exact time she was sucked in the dimensional vortex.*
He decided to search forward for now.
*Input: Power part *
#The Zenmai's Power part consists of the generator that constantly produces energy output, the charging interface, that Ifurita's master uses to recharge her, and the primary Zenmai energy capacitor, that accumulates the generator's energy. #
*Search for capacitors and energy management *
#Searching. There are three main energy capacitors. The Central, located in Ifurita's body; energy levels unknown. The Zenmai secondary, used for Zenmai power needs; energy levels at 2%.The Zenmai primary, used to charge Ifurita; energy levels at 60% and rising. #
#Power management: From organic food; Hardly a worthy source, primary for regeneration purposes. From primary Zenmai to Central; only from Ifurita's master. From secondary Zenmai to Central and the opposite; at will. From external power sources to secondary Zenmai or Central; feature locked after testing period. From primary Zenmai to anywhere except through charging; fundamentally blocked. # *so that she will always need someone to recharge her *
 
He looked at the actual energy left on the weapon part *One could level the palace with it, but not much more. That shield was really energy consuming. And we lucked out very narrowly *
Then he checked the actual energy that the primary Zenmai capacitor had and the output the generator could produce.
The blood left his face, he dropped the Staff, and looked at it in horror.
He spoke aloud “Of course I would expect some huge amount. But not this. The generator works on at least ten fundamental law of nature and principals I have never dreamed of. And each second it produces enough energy to transform El hazard to cosmic dust.”
He stared at it a bit longer. *Those ancient El hazard scientists. They were lunatics. But they have locked away so much more than what we can see. I never told anybody, but even the Eye was working at 1% efficiency at both times we thought it as “critical”. *
 
*****
 
Everybody else except Makoto had been secretly invited by Rune.
When she made sure everybody was present, she started, her words informal.
“My friends, I called you here today to prepare for a grand celebration. As most of you now know, in two days, Makoto, the one to whom we all own so much, is having his birthday. I was torn between making it a public celebration and declaring the day a vacation or just preparing a grant but private party with only us present. So we will do both. It will do him good to cheer up a little, for much weight had fallen on the shoulders of someone such young as he. So we must now decide what everybody will do.”
Fujisawa spoke first “Me and Miz will distract him tomorrow so that he won't realize”
Miz nodded “We will just make him an extended visit and help him unpack his things”
Shayla, who had almost forgotten the incident said “I will arrange the decoration”
Nanami, cheered up from Fujisawa's support added “I will, of course, make the food”
Alielle and Parnasse spoke together “We will bring the music”
“I will notify the important people” said Afura.
“I will lure master Makoto to the party.” Everybody looked at Qwaoor with open disbelief.
Then everyone turned at Fatora “What? Isn't it enough I will join?”
 
*****
 
After an hour he was still lying on his bed, trying to digest what he had learned.
*Perhaps I could open that locked battery. It will make my search so much easier and when she comes back, she won't have to feel like a wind-up doll for eternity. But not yet. It is too risky to try that alone. And there are too many people around me. But I could surely try to unlock that other locked feature…*
Then he heard a knock.
But it was not from the door.
It was from the wall.
He heard a familiar voice whispering. “Is it okay if I come in, master Makoto”
He answered at the same tone “Come in Alielle.”
A portion of the wall moved, and Alielle came in and hugged him.
“How do you like the secret passage?”
“Well, I was sure that if there actually were any secret passages in the palace, you would know them better than most, but I think we should only use them in case of a siege or something.”
“Well, master Makoto, one could say this is a siege here. You are supposed to meet lady Fatora in a while, but at the first corridor at the right of your room, sister Shayla awaits..”
“Well, I guess I should go left.”
“…at the first corridor at the left of your room, sister Nanami awaits…”
“Oh, I see. I suppose there are oblivious to the other's presence as well”
“…and sister Qwaoor will be here any minute now, bringing some more of her cookies. You should really try them, master Makoto. They are so sweet.”
“You were right Alielle. A three-way siege it is. Hurry now. Lead the way.”
Alielle sprinted forward.
Makoto followed her, then stopped and took the Zenmai with him as an afterthought.
By the time the wall behind them closed, they heard shouting from the corridor.
“The three of them are in really good shape those days” whispered Makoto
Alielle giggled.
 
*****
“Of course it was my fault too. But you are more responsible than me for what happened”
“Oh, yes? Why the hell do you think so?”
“Because it is well known who the hotheaded one around here is”
“Take a hike, box lunch girl.”
“Miss Shayla, miss Nanami you should not be arguing.”
“Shut up, Qwaoor” they both said in unison.
“But you might bother master Makoto. Can't we all go inside?”
That hit a streak in both of them.
They turned at each other.
“Truce?”
“Temporary only.”
“good enough.”
They opened the door and went inside.
“I was sure he was here.”
“Me too. Master Makoto should be here now.”
“Maybe he walked through a wall or something”
 
*****
 
“Lady Fatora, we are here. I just saved master Makoto from a vicious three-way girl siege.
“Well, I would never wish to be saved from something like that. The opposite actually.”
“Oh don't tease master Makoto, Lady Fatora. He is in love.”
“About that siege, Fatora, it seems that the time will come sooner than we thought.”
“So you have actually decided to do it. You are not such a wuss after all.
“Shove it Fatora.”
“Oh, master Makoto, our sessions here have enchanted you vocabulary. I don't think that I have ever heard you talking like that before.”
“By the way, what's with that staff. Trying to start a new fashion?”
“Oh, lady Fatora, how could you have forgotten about it? Doesn't that stuff remind you something?”
“Now that you tell me…. It's Ifurita's Staff. Of course. Um… Is it safe?”
“Well yes, as long as I don't want to blow up the palace…”
“gulp!”
“So, master Makoto, when will you be leaving?”
“I was thinking the day after tomorrow.”
Fatora and Alielle looked at each other and their faces fall.
“Um, you might want to wait another day, master Makoto.”
“I agree. There is an… event in which I have promised to participate that day.”
“No problem. How about three days?”
“That would be just fine.”
“And where will you be heading?”
“I think I will start from the Shrine of fire, in Gannan.
“Okay. Now master Makoto, lady Fatora, since we will make that in three days and since we only have today and tomorrow, lets start the practice.”
 
*****
 
“Yes, I think I understand now. I'll just connect the red wire to that green thingy…”
“But, I'm not sure if it will work that…”
The machine started humming.
And a laser beam hit Jinnai.
“Are you alright, Lord Jinnai? You are sure learning fast, but why do you want to know so much about ancient artifacts?”
He stood up with difficulty, black soot covering him from head to toes.
“God is with me Queen Diva. I am nearly..” he tried to say “indestructible” but his throat would not cooperate…
Katsuo brought him some water.
After another coughing fit, he continued.
“My destined rival, that demon-eyed fiend, that foxy grandpa, that demonic scion of darkness damned Mizuhara Makoto seems to have an certain affinity with those artifacts. That was the main reason he defeated me in the race for both demon gods and Eyes of god.”
Diva cocked a brow “There are more than one Eyes of god?”
He ignored her.
“But I will manage to reach his level mastery. First of all, I will fix the security systems here. Then *I* will repair and use the Eye of god and perhaps build a couple of demon gods exactly as I want them. I have no illusions about my goals though. I know it will take much time, but I believe in one or two years I will do it. But perhaps we will have squashed them by then. Because, with my genius, we are invincible. Moua ha ha ha ha…..(and so on, and so forth)”
As Katsuo departed to fetch another glass of water, Diva said
“This is all very good Katsuhiko, but have you removed the cable?”
“…..ha…ha…What cable?”
Another laser beam hit him.
 
After he, again, recovered -and removed the cable- he turned to Diva.
“I already know you are part machine Diva. Can you estimate how much time has passed since I joined you from the heavens?”
Diva thought a bit, then answered “Well it will be seven months, three weeks, five days, two hours, six minutes and ten seconds about…...*now*. Why do you ask?”
Jinnai thought about it a bit.
“I'll be damned. Diva, are you adept in building explosives?”
“Well I *did* have some simple demolition lessons, but nothing too extravagant. I cannot build anything more than a neighborhood-blowing bomb anymore.”
“Can you make a ten-men killing bomb until tomorrow?”
“Why, yes. I believe I can. All the components are here.”
Jinnai resumed his insane laughter.
 
*****
 
“You asked for me lord?”
“Yes, Miraya. I have a quest for you. But it must remain secret. Lord Galus does not wish the command ever reaching back to his ears. You just go there, kill, come back and forget everything”
“Yes, lord Nahato. Who are my targets?”
“Tree individuals. There will be a grand party at Floristica palace in two days. They will be among the guests, but you should not strike at once. These are their pictures. You will enter the palace under illusion, you will take the place of a female servant, wear her clothes and place brown-white make up on your face. She.” He said indicating the second picture “.will be able to see you, if you do not actually look like one of them. For all the others, you can use illusions.”
“As you say, master”
“There is more to it. Before you make any action against them, be sure to serve at least two bottles of strong wine to this one. Then you kill the girl first, become invisible and kill the others at any order. And take this pill afterwards, it will help you escape.” He gave her a large green pill.
“Is that all, master?”
“Yes, you will leave immediately and will talk with nobody.
She bowed and left.
*Lord Galus will never be able to connect me with it*
He smiled.
*It's a shame I have to waste a perfectly good assassin. But I cannot risk it. To take, I must give.*
Nahato was very pleased with himself.
 
*****
 
“Miz, you shouldn't strain yourself so. You should…”
“Oh, not you too, Makoto. I already have your sensei constantly worrying about me. And you look like you could use some help. This place really needs a cleaning.”
“Well, yes, but…”
“Forget it, Makoto. I *will* clean this room, whether you like it or not, and that's final. Masamichi, dear, do away with this trash and bring me a large pail.”
“Yes, dear”
“But Fujisawa sensei does not know-”
Miz motioned him to remain silent and winked. When her husband was not within earshot, she said “While he tears down the palace, trying to find where the pails are, I want to ask you something.”
He looked at her curiously.
“She pretends that she is now alright, but I can tell that Afura is not herself since that incident, a month ago. I want to know what happened, but she will not tell us anything. I want you to tell me. And no more nonsense about mind-splitting conversation, mind you.”
He thought about it and answered “If she doesn't want to say, I should respect her privacy.”
Miz sighed and assumed a peculiar mix of expressions, mostly frustration, concern and anger.
“She gave me the same answer with you. But you won't get away as easily as she did, Makoto. She seemed so distracted that last month. I can tell she was hurt. Now, I don't believe it was your intention to do so, but I really want to help her and I need to know more.”
“Let's just say the elemental Lamps are not to be used by two people at the same time.”
“But only one person can use each Lamp and only women. You couldn't…”
Her face changed to reflect the depths of her astonishment.
“You *can* use the Lamps Makoto. And without wearing them as well. This is unbelievable. You must be the first man to be able to do that…”
“…since the times of legend. I know Miz, I have heard it and read it numerous times. But don't forget that all of us are now considered living legends ourselves. For them we stopped an apocalypse. Only few people know what really happened. “
“So you don't want to be considered a legend. But you couldn't have saved everybody at the council if you were not.”
“I know. And that is the only reason I don't deny it publicly. Rune still needs our help.”
“You have done more than anyone else combined.”
His smiled was bitter “I haven't sacrificed myself, or stayed alone for ten millennia to save the world, yet”
“I'm sorry, Makoto. It seems my words have brought you distressing memories.”
“They are not distressing, Miz. They are my most precious possession.”
He thought about it for a while and then decided. “I will tell you what happened, Miz. But you would do well to keep it secret. For everybody's sake.”
 
As soon as he finished, they heard a loud clatter from the corridor.
Fujisawa entered the room carrying so many household containers, they could hardly see any part of him.
“Sorry that I'm late, Miz, but I couldn't pick the right one, so I had to bring all of them…”
She sighed, picked up a single pail and, as she filled it with water from the bathroom, she said
“Now, dear, you should return all the others to where you found them, or this palace will become really dirty in a few short days. Just leave Ura's plate down there, or he will starve…”
 
*****
 
*Am I still alive?*
Her whole body ached.
*How much time has it been?*
The answer came to her mind instantly #Ten El hazard days. #
Most of her implants were still temporary deactivated due to the Eye's shockwave.
All of them had an almost impenetrable EMP(ElectroMagnetic Pulse) shield, capable of ignoring most harmful fields of any energy level.
The Eye had created a legacy of mocking all kinds of defenses.
She was now debating whether to open her eyes. *So much like him* , she mused, leaving her mind to drift in one of her newly acquired memories. The memories she shared with the most important, for her, person.
She could now access some of her logs. #One fourth of remaining energy used to regenerate heavy damages. Last interaction with Zenmai was: sending log about new technique. #
The milliseconds it took her to receive the answer to her next inquiry seemed like Eons to her.
#Only reference file sent #
She sighed *So he has nothing to work with. Will he still try to find me, even when he has to waste his life away to do so?* The shard of him, embedded in her mind, answered the question promptly. He would try it, even if it was the last thing he would do, before dying.
She silently wept “You must not, Makoto. You have the right to live your life. You have already given me much more than I would ever deserve. And after ten thousand years of rightful punishment, not really enough to wash away the blood from my hands, I will get one last chance to see you, even if you will not know me. Then I can die in peace. Don't look for me…”
She was reminded of her only duty now. To retain herself long enough to sent him to his destiny.
She looked at her logs again. And gasped aloud.
The technique she had learned from the Eye.
It was not complete.
It seemed that one exposure to the Eye was not enough for even her to accumulate the way to cross dimensions. Then she understood. Had she still had been holding her Zenmai when she was sucked into the Eye energy vortex, its back up systems would have helped her learn the process. Panic started creeping at the back of her mind, a feeling that had been suppressed by her demon god self ages ago. All those years she had felt no fear for her life, though even *she* had faced death many times at the hell that was the Holy wars. She would have ended her futile existence herself, had it not been for the control circuit then.
But now she had a purpose.
She had a duty.
And a dream.
She opened her eyes, determination leading her away from her fears.
And then she froze as the image's gravity registered itself.
She was lying on thick vegetation she had never seen before. It was dark, perhaps the middle of the night.
But the stars were pale, almost non-existent.
They were obscured by the light of the moons.
All three of them.
 
*****
 
When they left, the darkness had already fallen.
Fujisawa and Miz had really been helpful. Without them, he should spent another two days to achieve the same effect. His new house was now perfect. *And now that it is ready, I will leave it and sleep outdoors.* , mused.
Nobody else except Fatora and Alielle knew when he was going to leave, and it was to their best interest to keep it secret. And only Rune knew he intended to.
*When they learn, they will want to kill me. I feel really bad about sneaking away from them like that, but they would insist to tag along. I just hope Fatora can fool them long enough, so that they won't follow me.*
He reminded himself that he was to meet them her and Alielle for their last session. She was making progress much faster than him, but he could now speak exactly the way she would, without blushing. Too much anyway.
*I guess she is more strongly motivated to learn than me.*
When he thought of what she would do, while she would be imitating him, the prospects of going far away and staying far away for some time seemed his only way of survival.
With that thought, he picked the Zenmai and walked to the door.
Then he changed his mind and used the secret passage instead.
Better safe than sorry.
 
After two hours of practicing, he returned to his room. From the way the small artifacts he had placed in front of the door were arranged, he concluded that nobody had entered the room in his absence, looking for him.
Then he noticed something on his bed.
A note
 
To Mizuhara Makoto from Earth.
Tomorrow keep the Zenmai with you at all times, and be alert.
You and your friends will face danger.
Someone who would like you to know him, Z.
 
He tried to think who would have sent him such a note and why.
That “Z” was obviously male, from the “him” reference and obviously a stranger.
He decided to follow the advice.
It would cost him nothing.
 
Lord Zenthar materialized in his quarters. *And this is all the help I can provide for now*
He thought, angry with himself.
*Nahato is using spies to watch me and I can evade them for only that long. I can't reveal my true intentions to anyone, but Mizuhara for the time being. And, naturally, he wouldn't want to listen, had I reveled myself. Galus has seen to that. What a sorry mess my absence created…*
 
*****
 
She was tied with energy bonds that she had no hope to break.
Her limbs were stretched to their limits from the bonds.
The bonds were attached to a great energy ring around her.
She could not escape. She was powerless.
Then, a single item come out of the surrounding darkness, seemingly forged by it.
It was a long, pointed pole, cackling with energy. It was obvious it would vaporize anything it touched.
The pole gradually made its way towards her, aiming for the small of her back.
Her power socket, the only glitch to her near perfect body.
She vainly tried to free herself, only managing to amplify the pain of her wounded limbs.
Then she looked at him.
Her eyes did not accuse him. There was only love in them and sadness.
Then she closed her eyes, just as the pole impaled itself in her…
 
He woke up screaming, his mind futilely trying to tell him it was only a nightmare.
He was soaked in sweat and his body trembled.
His breath came in forced, labored gasps as he reached for the Power key staff. He held it in his hands tightly, as if his life depended on it.
*It was only a nightmare* he told himself again and again.
*A game played by my mind.*
After a while he managed to calm down a little.
He left the bed, not even attempting to try and sleep again.
A quick soak in the bathtub did wonders to calm him further, his thoughts becoming rational.
After his morning exercise and a breakfast more suited to a legion than one person, he was himself again. Almost.
Like most of the palace rooms, his new home had an immensely large balcony, from where he could get a full view of Floristica.
He noticed the city looked different today. There were more flowers everywhere, however impossible that may seem. And there were many people out in the streets, apparently waiting for something.
*It must be some kind of celebration today. I have really lost track of time those days. Perhaps I should allow myself some entertainment for today.*
He placed his hands on the Zenmai again.
*But first I have to try what I thought yesterday.*
He closed his eyes and concentrated. He didn't have the presence of mind to suppress his ability's aura, and his body started to shine.
He reached deep inside the Staff, looking for the lock in question, or, more accurately the piece of code or machinery that acted as a lock.
It took him half an hour's strain to safely disable it.
#Feature unlocked. Now accumulation of energy from the environment is possible. #
He exposed the Zenmai to the sun, and felt the energy levels of its secondary capacitor slowly rising. It would require months of solar energy to fill the capacitor, but it was a start.
*It's not that I will need to fight anything any time soon, anyway* he mused.
“Are you alright now, master Makoto” said a familiar voice from behind him.
He turned and saw Qwaoor Towles, the great priestess of water.
She was beautiful. She wore an enchanting deep blue and brass dress and a ceremonial great cloak. In addition to her normal hairstyle, she also wore two glowing orbs, strategically placed on each side of her head, only further adding to her fairy-like appearance.
“I'm so sorry I just barged in here like that, but you wouldn't answer and I was worried.”
“I am the one who should apologize for making you worry.”
“So, what's the occasion?” he asked, still trying to come to terms with her staggering appearance.
“Oh, master Makoto, don't tell me you have forgotten what day this is. I was sent to make sure you were ready.”
“I didn't forget the occasion. I just… overslept a bit, yes. I will be ready in a minute.” He said, and sprinted to his inner room.
Qwaoor smiled amused. Then her eyes fell on the great ornate staff. She recognized the artifact that had saved the four of them two days ago. She could tell it meant something more to him, but Shayla and Nanami would stay silent about it.
Her hand touched it gingerly, respecting the object that had succeeded to save them where she had failed.
As her hand connected, a vision came to her mind. She could not see anything, but she could feel. She felt an ocean of pain and her heart wept. She felt a universe of love and her soul soared. And she felt a powerful stream, the embodiment of determination. Her hand slipped from the Zenmai and she fell to her knees, eyes wide open and looking at nothing at all.
It was almost as much as she could bare.
As soon as he saw her, he was at her side. She seemed to be in a trance, her eyes glazed.
He shouted her name and she blinked, then stirred.
“What happened, Qwaoor, is everything right?”
“Don't worry about me, master Makoto. I was just a bit dizzy but I feel fine now.”
He could say she was lying, but he also knew she would deny it.
“Then let's join the others. The celebration must have started without us”
He took the Zenmai in his hand and led the way. Qwaoor followed, looking at the staff with awe.
 
*****
 
The guards were standing by the gates, feeling utterly responsible and utterly determined.
They were utterly oblivious as she casually walked by them under illusion.
*Infiltrating the palace is easy as always.*
She spotted a female servant that somewhat resembled her.
It was easier to maintain the illusion, when the image she assumed was close to her features.
She had studied the schedule of all servants and knew what to do.
But first she went to a cellar and picked two bottles of obscenely strong red wine.
Then she sneaked into an unoccupied room featuring a large mirror.
When her image was satisfyingly human, she walked out and took her place among the other servants, wearing the same clothes as they.
*Master Galus's plan is perfect*, she thought, as she fingered the pill in her pocket, getting courage from its potential.
 
*****
 
Qwaoor and Makoto reached a wide terrace. Everybody else was there, seated in ornate thrones.
When he looked down the brim of the terrace, Makoto gasped. He didn't know that Floristica had such great a populace. He could see thousand if he cared to count.
*I can't remember what the occasion is, but it seems I have missed something important.*
He turned, to see all the girls silently giggling at his expression.
Rune Venus stood up and started speaking.
Makoto thought he could hear Ura's footsteps on the grass.
“People of Roshtaria and all the alliance. Though we have suffered much those troubled times, today will, from now on, always be a day of celebration.”
*So it is the first time this celebration happens.* for some reason he started feeling uneasy.
“Of all of us here, no one has offered more to this world than the three visitors from a faraway world named Earth. Though they had no obligation to help us and after being treated poorly, they still saved us more than once.”
*Darn it. I knew it had something to do with us three.*
“So today we celebrate the birthday of the one of them that has offered us the most, great lord and heart friend, Mizuhara Makoto.”
The masses exploded and shouted as one. “Long live Rune Venus. Long live the Earthling lords. Long live master Mizuhara.”
His mind had yet to register what just happened.
The only thing he could do, was to stand up, bow and sit down dizzily.
After that, Rune Venus recounted his known achievements and hinted for many others as well.
He was lost in a torrent of thoughts. *I'll get you for this, Rune.*
A voice brought him back to his senses.
“Come now, Makoto. They are waiting for the person of honor.”
He rose and followed sheepishly, using the Zenmai to keep himself from falling.
He entered the great hall and everybody, all the dignitary of the alliance, saluted him.
For the next few hours he was shaking hands of people, whose eyes were filled with awe and admiration.
Nobody had asked him how old he was now and Rune had carefully neglected to refer to it.
Legends were best left ageless.
 
*****
Miraya was doing a great job. She had already passed twice before Nanami and nothing had happened.
Her eyes fell on Fujisawa. He was at his third bottle now, not nearly enough to affect his behavior, but enough to nullify his power and endurance.
She retreated to the most empty spot of the hall, made sure Nanami had her back towards her and, under illusion, she readied her poisonous crossbow.
It was a primitive but precise weapon and most importantly it was silent. Which meant its user had more than one chances to fire, without being spotted.
She brought the weapon at eye level and targeted carefully.
 
*****
 
A messenger came in the room hastily and headed towards Makoto.
“My lord, a present for you had just arrived and the one who brought it, said it was vital to give it to you as soon as possible.”
Makoto raised a brow, as Qwaoor took the small package and brought it to him.
Then many things happened at once.
Miraya was finally ready to fire, her target clear.
 
Qwaoor staggered as she touched the package. Visions of a swamp full of malice and a sea of hatred, shrouded in mist of insanity filled her mind. Her body became limp and she almost collapsed.
 
Through the Zenmai, its sensors ignoring the illusion, he saw the veiled assassin and he knew her intentions. The next action came to him out of pure instinct.
He grabbed the parcel from Qwaoor's hands and sent it flying towards Miraya, all the while shouting. She was surprised and barely missed her mark, the ominous dart touching Nanami's hair and striking the tapestry behind her, marring the image with brown poison.
The parcel fell three meters short of Miraya, Diva's explosive mechanism igniting prematurely, denying her a second shot and hurtling her to the wall. Grievously wounded, she tried to eat the green pill to escape. A red-clad foot stopped her, breaking her fingers. “No you don't” Shayla declared forcefully. Then Miraya could not hold herself any longer. She died and dissipated in thin air.
Everybody was shocked afterwards, but after making sure everything was over, Rune decided to lighten the atmosphere for the benefit of Makoto.
“It's a good thing our enemies chose to strike at the exact same time. They so effectively nullify each other.”
Few laughed at that, but everybody was a bit calmer now.
Makoto went to where the package had exploded. Amidst its remains, he saw a metal plate, unharmed by the explosion. “Happy birthday, my lifelong rival” it read.
He sighed and walked where the assassin had been. “I can't say how they feel when their dead leave no body.” said Nanami.
Makoto's bitter answer startled her “I believe it will happen to us too. We are not from this world either.”
Then Shayla walked by him and gave him the green pill. “She tried to use it to save herself. Any idea what it is?”
He took the pill, smelled it and then let it fall to the floor, his face shocked.
“I'll be damned. What she thought as a way to escape, was actually a pill of concentrated hydrocyanic. It can kill anything within seconds.”
Everybody remained silent.
 
*****
 
Nobody from the guests was hurt and it was a day of celebration. After little thought and since anybody who could have attacked, did, it was decided not to end the gathering.
After more people met him, now also congratulation him for his fast reaction, he saw another figure coming towards him. He could not determine her age. Though he could tell her eyes were ancient, her face seemed ageless, neither young not marred by age.
He could almost feel the power emitted from her, and had a good idea who she was.
“Nice to meet you young lord. I'm Aurora Darsal, head of the Holy Order.”
“I'm pleased to meet you high priestess. I have heard much about you.”
She smiled “Unfortunately, I did not stand up to my legend as you did. I failed to locate the assassin, though I should have able to see her. I think I'm finally growing old. I wish I could have met you before. I would like very much to come and meet me at the Holy city. We have much to learn from each other.”
“I wanted to ask your permission about that high priestess. Your archives are legendary.”
She laughed, dismissing some formality “My boy, the nobles respect and fear you and simple people love you. You could be the one to unite everyone, if you tried. I should be the one to ask permission to invite you.”
“I am not so great as people think. I just was at the right place and time.”
Before she left, she added “And only the fact that you remain modest, speaks greatly for you. I look forward to meet you again.”
He approached the three great priestesses who were chatting at a corner.
“She is a wise woman.” He remarked. They looked at each other knowingly.
“You don't know half of it. Last year she defeated twenty Phantom tribe assassins by herself” said Afura.
“And those who are to become great priestesses, must spend half a year training with her.”
said Qwaoor.
“Though none of us had yet reached her level” added Shayla.
“I gather, I should consider her invitation seriously.”
 
*****
 
When the event ended it was late afternoon. Makoto promptly headed to his room. Alielle and Fatora were already there.
“You two knew about it all the time” he accused half-seriously.
“In fact you were the only one oblivious enough not to notice, great lord” said Fatora mockingly
“My thanks to you for not telling me, second great princess of Roshtaria, pillar of pureness.”
Fatora scowled at that and Alielle giggled.
“So, master Makoto, you will leave right now? Why don't you wait for tomorrow morning?”
He went behind a screen and started changing his clothes.
“Two reasons. First of all, to pass as Fatora I have to make some reasonably insane moves.”
Fatora went to say something but regretted it.
“And second, I have the feeling that the remaining day will be quite a challenge for whoever will be wearing Makoto's clothes.”
Fatora just smiled.
Makoto came from behind the screen, now wearing a wig and looking exactly as Fatora.
“Alielle I want your verdict.” He said, perfectly mimicking her voice.
Alielle blinked, looked at the identical persons in front of her and said “I cannot make out who is who without… physically interacting with you.”
Makoto turned to Fatora, gave her a pile of clothes and she heared her voice saying “Your turn now, princess wonder-boy.”
“I'll get you for that, Makoto”
She hurried behind the screen and after a while, Makoto came back
With a perfect Makoto voice she said “So, princess Fatora, is this acceptable?”
Alielle shook her head and said “let's get over with it. I'm growing a headache.”
“Remember, Fatora.” Said Makoto, using his original voice. “To maintain our cover, you shouldn't do anything rush. And if -when- they find out, give your sister this package. Just try to keep pretending as long as you can.”
He took the Zenmai, hiding it in a bag. He had already moved his other luggage to a small scouting cruiser that only had a single cabin.
“Well, so long Fatora, Alielle. See you in a couple of months.”
“Good speed, master Makoto. We will take care of everything here. I wish you to find what and who you seek."
“Yeah, whatever. You are in my dept now, wonder boy. Just….be careful. That's an order.”
He stepped out of the door, walking fast.
“Alielle?”
“Yes, *master Makoto*?”
“It's party time.”
 
*****
 
“Master, we have news from the palace.”
“Speak”
“It seems that there were two assassination attempts against the Earthlings.”
“By whom?”
“The first one was a bomb from the Bugrom. That Mizuhara used it do dispatch one of our people, who was ready to kill the Madman's sister.”
Galus looked at Nahato, who was sitting nearby. “What do you make of that?”
Nahato thought for a while and answered.
“I believe it was revenge.”
“But our assassins are professionals. They would never do that out of spite.”
“She was Kiriya's sister, master. Though unusual, it is to be expected.”
“I see. Both of you can leave now. But I want you, Nahato, to find if there are others that entertain such notions. And exterminate them. My decisions are not to be questioned. And within the next two months I will assume my role again."
 
Nahato made sure that nobody was watching and kicked the wall in frustration.
*How could she fail. She was one of the best and I have taken everything into account.
And I have no way to find out what happened, except asking them personally. And what about lord Galus. Is he really so oblivious, or does he want to pass me a subtle message. *
He kicked the wall again.
 
From the nearby shadows, lord Zenthar smiled. *That was close, but they managed. I have to make my move as soon as possible.*
 
*****
 
The two guards at the cruiser port crossed their weapons as soon as they heard somebody coming. “Who's there” one of them shouted.
“Get out of my way you worthless imbeciles” came the answer, riding on an enraged voice every employee in the palace feared, for different reasons, according to gender.
“So-sorry, princess Fatora. Whe-where are you going this time?” he trembled.
Assuming a heartless scowl, the monarch answered “Remind me, male. When have I given you the slightest impression that I am to report to *you *?”
“Wha-what are we to-to say to princess R-Rune?”
“Tell her that her sister is really pissed off with the attention that worthless lookalike of mine is getting, and she is going a visit to Arliman *alone *.”
After princess Fatora walked away, the other soldier patted the first on the back.
“You are one lucky bastard.”
 
Makoto had to use most of his willpower not to start laughing wildly, when he saw the poor soldier's expression. Instead, he walked on the cruiser, made a check to be sure he had taken everything with him and walked to the controls. *Time to see if what I told Afura about the cruisers was right. I have no idea how to use this thing.*
He needn't had to worry. As soon as he placed his hands on the dark blue globes, the cruiser reacted to his thoughts like any part of his body would.
*The first thing to do, after I am out of sight, is to get out of those clothes. These shoes are killing me.*
 
*****
 
“So, that damned Mizuhara managed to avoid my present. Never mind . This is to be expected from someone like him, such scheming and lucky bastard. But he will not realize my true intention. Now he will skulk in the palace, not only shamed by his futile attempts to restore the Eye, but also fearing we will do another move against him. I can now proceed with my next plan without worrying about him.”
“What will we do now, lord Jinnai.”
“You, Queen Diva, will stay here and make sure our soldiers proceed with the tunnel. My Greatness, Katsuo and ten soldiers will go to make some convent actions in Gannan.” He turned to his other loyal subordinates
“Ikura, you will be responsible for the supplies”
^gruble, gruble, crable^
“Namihei, you will supervise the soldier's training”
^drabble, gruble, screech^
“What do you mean “which ones”? All of them of course.”
^bug whimper ^
“Norisuke, you will administrate the food.”
^frable, grable ^
“And if I find out you staff it yourself I will demote you.”
“Masuo and Tarao, you get the cleaning and breeding programs”
^double gruble scratch^
“Now all of you get out. Katsuo, wait me outside.”
^krable, wable^
When all of them were out, he turned to Diva “When the tunnel to the Holy River is ready we will build a secondary secret hive there. Having our powers separated in such outposts will give as the advantage, as long as they can't see us. And if they take the fight in such an outpost, the battles will be close quarter ones, where we also hold the advantage.”
Diva smiled “You always manage to surprise me, my general. Hurry back here and I will have a surprise for you.”
Jinnai raised a brow “What kind of surprise?”
“A pleasant one…”
 
*****
 
Shayla entered Makoto's room, looking for him.
“Makoto,are you here?”
“Yes, Shayla. I'm coming.”
*Okay, girl, this is it. This time you will tell him, before anyone can interrupt. And no damn stuttering this time either. No demon god has ever stuttered. If those damn dolls can do it, so can you…and stop swearing for god's sake. Trice damn the butterflies mating in my stomach. Okay here he comes.*
“Good evening, Makoto, nice hat. I have come to wish you happy birthday in private.”
*Ok, girl. Remember…you are Makoto. No rush, if you rush you lose. Think you are Makoto. Think Makoto-thoughts… Milk is good for you. Vegetables too… Help everybody… without expecting anything. DO NOT glomp Shayla. Self control. Inhale, exhale. Hell, how does he do it? Makoto is a dumb genius.*
“Thank you, Shayla. That party was really too much for me. I do not deserve such praise.”
*She is doing fine. I'm so proud of lady Fatora.* Alielle, who was hidden behind the screen, thought.
“Shall we go outside, Makoto? The night is beautiful.”
*That's it. No stuttering today. We are completely out of stuttering, folks. That's the way. Go for him. Slowly. Makoto does not rush things. Don't do either. Build up your courage... Gods, if the lunch box girl or the little blue fairy come now, they are *so* fucked. I will burn them where they stand. NO, no violent thoughts. He is a calm gay. A pacifist. Calm down*
“My pleasure, Shayla”
*Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. I'll be damned. This really helps. Inhale, exhale…Fuck, who am I kidding? *
They were standing at the edge of the balcony, staring at a perfectly marvelous night sky, that none of them had really noticed. Fatora slowly placed her hand over Shayla's shoulders.
*That's it. Only the shoulders. Nowhere else. Like a friend. Like Makoto would. Not lower. Lower is a no-go. Fucking lower is a no-go. Don't go for the boobs. DON'T. Remember Fatora. You are mighty. Your willpower is HUGE. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. Hah, too easy…*
“So, Makoto, I have something to… tell you.”
*That was close. I almost stuttered. No Shayla. You are the great priestess of fire. Much more powerful than the Bookworm and the little blue fairy. You have defeated two demon gods by yourself. Well, mostly defeated. And mostly by yourself. Well you tried…Damn you Shayla, you are not weak, you are not… Oh, shit..*
“Tell me, Shayla.”
*No boobs. Absolutely NO boobs. Oh no. my hand is moving by itself. I have possessed myself. No Fatora. You are Makoto. You do not get possessed. You only possess machines. And beautiful girls. With large boobs…Fuck, here I go again. Get on with it Shayla. I can barely hold myself here.*
“Makoto, I…I…” *I can't speak. I can't fucking speak. Oh no, we have come here and I can't speak. I will do something else. I will kiss him. My first real kiss. Damn Fatora. No not her now. She is far away. Really far away. Ok, I'm better with actions, anyway. I can do it.*
Fatora knew exactly what Shayla had in mind.
*Oh, boy. Oh yes. She will kiss me. That's so good… What the fuck am I thinking. I'm playing with fire here. Literally. If we kiss, she will want more. Me too. And then… If she founds out, I'm gonna die. Hey, that *was* a Makoto-thought. Oh shove it. No, shove nothing. Think, Fatora. How would he get out of it. He does it all the time. I know. I'll say a kiss is enough for starters. Fuck. I can never say that.*
They kissed. And then Shayla wanted more. And Fatora too.
They heard a very familiar voice from inside the room.
“Master Makoto. Are you here? Princess Rune asked for you.”
Fatora was relieved and enraged at the same time.
Shayla could do nothing about a summon from Rune Venus, so she just cursed silently.
When Fatora and Alielle were alone, she spoke.
“What were you thinking, Alielle. I was so close.”
“So close to die, lady Fatora. And you promised.”
“I would have handled it.”
“Of course you would. I just helped a little. So what will we do now?”
An idea came to Fatora's mind.
“We will go back to Makoto's room, lock the door and…”
“Yes?”
“You know, Alielle, imitating Makoto has left me with quite a lot of tension. I have to channel it somewhere.”
“I was counting on it, Lady Fatora”
“Alielle”
“Yes?”
“For today, do call me “master Makoto”…”
 
*****
 
As always, lord Zenthar spoke last and completely informally.
“So, dear Nahato, you have brought us two of Galus's wishes. First of all he wants to be sure those three Earthlings remain unharmed. I personally know nobody that would want to hurt them. Do *you* know Nahato?”
It took him three seconds to realize that the outrageous councilor was actually waiting for him to answer. “No, lord Zenthar, I do not” *Was that a smirk on his face? Does he know?*
Nahato has quickly developed something stronger than pure hatred for the man. Lord Zenthar always managed to make him look like a fool, and Nahato's spies could only follow him half of the time.
“I believe that all the others in this room have no reason not to support the king's verdict.” he stated more than asked.
The others just nodded.
*He is only one and the others are his equals. Yet he controls them with ease. Nobody in this room knows more about him than I, and I know almost nothing. Damn. This is hopeless.*
“As for his next demand, he wants to capture princess Fatora again, now that he… um she is outside the palace walls and alone.”
Nahato noticed the slip. He knew it was a fake one, but he could not imagine what it meant.
*Damn, I should stop trying to find a conspiracy in every word. Perhaps that is his goal.*
“Nahato, do you think we should do so?”
*Here we go again.*
Another councilor spoke “Answer the question, Nahato of uncertain lineage, honored member of the Phantom tribe of exiles.”
“Yes, lord Zenthar. It would give us an advantage over the alliance and she would provide safety.”
“As she did last time, when we lost so many valuable scientists?”
Nahato was yet again dumbfound.
He continued “If it was only me, I would suggest that we try a negotiation over a blackmail. But there are many who would disagree, so I just suggest to lay low for a while, lest they really try to hunt us down. If they came here to save the princess, along with the Earthlings and the Muldoon priestesses, will you stand in their way, Nahato? I certainly wouldn't. I'm no coward, but not suicidal either. Anyone who disagrees?”
Nobody attempted to speak.
Oh, yes. Much stronger than hatred indeed.
 
*****
 
“Wake up, lady Fatora, somebody is coming.”
“Ngh…”
“You have to at least wear your hat lady, Fatora, or we are going to be revealed.”
“Ok, ok, Alielle. I'm awake. It will be all right. Go hide now.”
“Makoto, are you still asleep?”
*What is he doing here?* “Yes, sensei, I'm coming.”
Fatora got out of bed, wore Makoto's clothes, looked at the mirror and went to open the door.
“Good morning, Makoto. How came you woke up so easily?”
*Really careful around him. This is more difficult than Shayla.* “I was already up, sensei.”
“Sleeping restlessly again, Makoto?”
*Not at all. In fact I just had that wonderful dream, where me and Alielle…* “I guess so…”
“Then I was right to come. Let go for some mountain climbing. Nothing like Mt. Muldoon, but I have found a rather steep mountain, ten minutes from here.”
Fatora never had a knack for geography, but she knew there where no mountains so near to Floristica.
“Ten minutes with a cruiser?”
“Of course not, Makoto. We will use the “Hyper Fujisawa express”.
*Oh no. Not that. Anything but that.* “I think I'll pass, sensei. I really have much to…”
“Oh no, Makoto. You have to get out of here for a while. It is an order, boy”
*What would Makoto say to that. I have to think like him. How am I going to do that? Oh an idea…* “But, sensei, I won't be able to keep up with you…”
“You won't have to, Makoto. I will use it as soon as we get there.” He tapped an unbreakable, family sized wine bottle, hanging from his backpack.”
*Only Alielle can save me now.*
“Master Fujisawa, can I join?”
They both turned and looked Alielle, coming from the corridor. She had used the secret passage to sneak out of the room.
*What is she doing? Trying to kill us?*
“Of course, Alielle. Now that Fatora had left last night, scaring some guards out of their shoes, we can go to remember the old times, when we had gone to find the priestesses. You both have eight minutes to prepare. I have taken everything we need.”
As soon as he was out of earshot, Fatora hissed to Alielle “What do you think you are doing?”
“Lady Fatora, what would you prefer? Having to meet all the others at breakfast or spending the day away from everyone. It can buy us an extra day you know.”
“Sigh, ok Alielle, but when I see Makoto again, he's gonna die.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
 
Another chapter ready. As always not really proofread. And, as always I await comments.
Let me see… Should I start the third now? Nah…