Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ The Gift ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Well, I do hope you guys can enjoy yourselves. I’m sure your happy to have a chance to go home after all you’ve been through." Sango said standing beside Miroko, her arm around him. Sango had long black hair that hung to the middle of her back, her eyes a dark brown. Miroko had short black hair and his eyes were almost a bluish purple.

"Yeah," He said. "I’m sure you got a ton of stories to tell your friends back home too."

"Are you kidding me?" Kagome asked. She, like Sango, also had long black hair that hung down to about her shoulder blades, her eyes a tan brown. "Everyone would think I lost my mind. No, this’ll just between my family and us."

They seem so happy together now. Kagome thought to herself. Ever since Miroko proposed to her, Sango has seemed so happy. Though he still needs to work on few of his flaws. She glanced at the handprint that Sango had left him just a few moments earlier. Her thoughts began to drift as she gazed over toward the forest.

They were in a clearing beside the ancient Bone Eater’s Well. Now that Naraku had been defeated there was nothing more for Kagome to do but go home. Funny, how things seemed to all come into place. Miroko and Sango were getting married and would live in the village where Inuyasha had sought to steal the sacred Shikon jewel. Shippo had also managed to find his mother and siblings and he too would live within the village. Kaede would teach Sango different medicines and help train Miroko different religious powers.

Now Kagome was heading home, but luckily not alone. Left with no one else in the world, Inuyasha chose to go to live with her. Kagome was excited to be able to return home and it especially helped to know that she needn’t worry about Inuyasha as long as they were together.

"Well, we better let you depart, Kagome. We hope you will come and visit us soon. We will miss you and Inuyasha both. We’ve been through too much to not." Sango said going to Kagome and giving her a hug.

"Yeah, you too. I just hope Inuyasha doesn’t mind coming along." Kagome said.

"Why should he? After all he’s the one who decided to go with you." Miroko pointed out. "I’m sure you’ll be fine."

Kagome smiled. It was hard to leave such good friends behind but she knew she could return. They now had the Jewel of Four Souls in their possession. It hung about Kagome’s neck, as it began to shine brightly. She had decided to let Inuyasha to use it, but she only hoped he would choose the right decision. Would he use it to become a full demon like he had originally wanted? Or could he perhaps decide to become as a human, like her? She knew it was much more complicated to him than it was to her. If only it could be easy, but then again nothing ever seemed to be easy anymore.

She sighed. "I guess I better go find him. He’s probably lounging about here somewhere." She started toward the trees then stopped. "Thanks again you guys. We could never have pulled it off without you."

"It took all of us, but we succeeded." Miroko said. "Farewell, Kagome."

"Goodbye." She said before jogging toward the forest, eager to find Inuyasha.

The forest was alive with the songs of birds as they fluttered to and fro. Beams of sunlight streamed through the canopy of leaves. Inuyasha laid comfortably against the trunk of the Sacred Tree upon a large firm limb about 15 ft. above the ground.

A warm ray of sunlight shone upon him as he starred thoughtfully at the clear blue sky above him. His long silver hair spilled down his back and hung from the limb. His long bangs hanging above his sharp amber eyes. He wore a red Hanoi, a binding necklace of enchantment made by bear claws and black pearls. And girded about his loins was his precious Tetsegia.

He shifted his weight forward, bending a knee so he could rest his arm upon it. Quietly he tapped his long claws against his leg as his mind wandered. His doglike ears upon his head tweaked slightly as he listened to the many sounds surrounding him.

So, Naraku is defeated and we now have the Sacred Jewel. He thought to himself. But what now? What do I do now? I can’t very well stay here, there’s nothing left for me here. His expression became sullen for a moment. Kikyo’s dead and gone. I have no family. Sure I got friends but is that enough?

His thoughts returned to Kikyo. I wish I could forget her but I can’t. But I can’t dwell in the past. I need someone I can actually live with. Someone who’s warmth can be felt when I hold them. Someone who can love me. His eyes narrowed determinedly. That is why I’m going with Kagome, why I must be with her. If I stay here and let her go, I’ll never forget it.

He lowered his eyes to look at the ground below. But what do I do with the jewel? All this time I’ve planned to use it to become full demon. But now that I’m with Kagome shouldn’t I become full human. Can I do that? Being a full demon I could protect her but in her era will I need to? Can I really live as a human with Kagome?

"Inuyasha?" Kagome called as she wandered through the trees. Inuyasha’s ears tweaked at the sound of her voice. Glancing down, Inuyasha saw her walking toward the Sacred Tree. Beams of sunlight danced about her as she drew closer, a light breeze playing with her long black hair.

"Over here, Kagome." Inuyasha replied his amber eyes on her.

"I thought you’d be here." She said reaching the tree’s trunk. Looking up she rested her hand upon the bark. It was here that she had first met the half demon Inuyasha. He had been pinned to the Sacred Tree by a sacred arrow shot by Kikyo the priestess. Through the trickery of the evil Naraku both Kikyo and Inuyasha harbored great hate for each other. Because of fatal wounds Kikyo died soon after.

Before falling into the hideous trap, Inuyasha and Kikyo had felt feelings for each other, even loved each other. 50 years later Kagome came upon Inuyasha as the reincarnation of Kikyo, their features almost exactly alike. Kagome had possession of the Shikon jewel at the time but because of an accident the jewel was shattered.

A few years later Kagome stands beside the tree, the Jewel of Four Souls whole once more. She was 18 now and had hardly changed at all. Inuyasha still maintained his normal age being the half demon he was. Over the years the two had grown to know each other and even develop a special love for each other.

"Are you ready to go, Inuyasha?" Kagome asked from below. "I told my mom that we’d be back soon and it’s already noon."

"Your the one wasting your time with all the goodbyes." He stubbornly protested, jumping down from the limb to land beside her. "We can always come back you know."

Kagome sighed. "Your so unsociable." She said walking back to the well.

"What? What’s that supposed to mean!?" He demanded, following.

"You know what I mean. Jeez, your so immature." She said brushing a strand of hair from her eyes. It so pretty here. I hope we come back soon.

"Oh, I’m immature? Your the one who even started this whole argument." He said drawing alongside her. He gave her a stern glare as they walked.

She felt him glaring at her, she smiled turning to him. She loved it when he glared, it never really seemed to be threatening. He saw her smile, she was always in a good mood, unless she was pissed then she was no one to mess with.

The trees opened as the came to the clearing. Inuyasha’s eyes scanned the area. This could be the last time he’d see this place for awhile. It wouldn’t change, would it? A familair scent filled the air. "Wait, Kagome." He said turning.

Lady Kaede was walking toward them from across the clearing, caring something small carefully within her palm.

"Kaede? What are you doing here?" Kagome asked curiously.

"Yeah, you old hag. Shouldn’t you be out fixing remedies for the sick or something?" Inuyasha asked.

"Ye never change do ye, Inuyasha?" Kaede asked before sighing. "Inuyasha. I’ve come to give ye something, a gift if ye will."

"A gift?" Inuyasha asked curiously.

"What he win?" Kagome asked.

"It’s from Kikyo." Inuyasha froze.

"Ki-Kikyo? Why?" He asked surprised. She’s not here is she?

"A while before she had bound you to the tree, Inuyasha, Kikyo asked that I give ye this, if anything was to happen to ye." She said stretching out her hand, exposing a small pink shell only found by the ocean.

"What! You mean you just now decide to give it to me you old mule!" Inuyasha said anger rising.

"Oh boy, here we go." Kagome said sighing.

"I didn’t think ye were ready to accept it, Inuyasha. But now that ye have finally realized that ye cannot love Kikyo as ye had, I do." She said grabbing his hand and placing the shell within his palm. "I bid ye farewell. I must return to the village, a young women is sick and needs me." She said before departing.

"Bye, Kaede!" Kagome yelled as she left. Then curiously she went to Inuyasha, peering over his shoulder she starred at the shell. "What is it?"

"A shell." Inuyasha said sarcastically.

"I know what it is!" She barked. Then calmly, "But what’s it for?"

Inuyasha starred at the shell as he remembered. "Sometime after I met Kikyo we had gone to one of the streams near the village to gather water. I had been helping her when she spotted something within the waters. Reaching down she grabbed this. Their usually only found near the ocean and it’s nearly impossible to find them anywhere else."

Kagome listened intently. "It still had the scent of the ocean on it so I knew it had to have come from there. Kikyo said that it had probably flowed into a stream and wound up right where she found it. I didn’t understand why she wanted to keep it so badly but she said because it reminded it of both her and I."

Kagome’s eyes grew wide as she curiously asked, "How can that be? What does a shell have to do with either of you?"

Inuyasha softly spoke as he his eyes still laid on the shell within his hand. "She said it was because that the shell was different from other shells by going where others couldn’t be found, it was unique. She was unique because she possessed sacred powers and I was unique because I’m half a demon. Not too complicated I guess." He said shrugging.

"Are you gonna keep it?" Kagome asked watching him now.

"I don’t see why, I guess it is just a shell." He said about to flick it from off his hand.

Kagome quickly covered it with her hands. "No, don’t. She wanted you to keep it. And I think you should. You shouldn’t ever have to forget Kikyo, Inuyasha. You two loved each other you shouldn’t just forget about that just because things couldn’t work out. But you can still remember her and go on in life." She said looking into his eyes.

His eyes were full of the mourning sorrow he still felt for Kikyo, but also within them was a love, a new love. It was for Kagome. Kagome looked away. "It’s up to you of course but I think you should keep it."

Gently he slid the shell into his pocket, and clasped her hand in his. "Thanks, Kagome."

She smiled. "C’mon we better get home. Mom’s gonna kill me if I’m not there soon. I wonder if she’s got your room set yet."

Together they went to the well, their hands still intwined. Inuyasha climbed upon the side of the well and carefully helped Kagome up. Wrapping right arm around her waist they jumped, jumping into the next era, Kagome’s time, the future.