Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ Troubled Minds ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inuyasha paced the living room. He stopped. He had to go after Nyuu or at least track down Kagome. He glanced out the window. It was getting dark, already the sun was setting. An hour had passed since Kagome had left and it had been three since Inuyasha had seen Nyuu. He sighed. If he left now and Kagome returned, what would she think?

Suddenly a loud ringing went off. Inuyasha jumped with a yell. He froze, his arms up in the air as if to strike. The ringing stopped, only to ring again. He slowly relaxed as he pitched an ear forward. Then, he remembered. It was the phone.

He sighed from his relief. I’m too tense. He thought going to the phone. I’m not in my era anymore. Why should I be so edgy? He paused as the phone rang. He had remembered Kagome telling him about the phone but he never actually used it. Carefully, he lifted it from the receiver bringing it about five inches from his ear upside down.

"Uh, hello?" He asked.

A small muffled sound came from the other end. Quickly he shifted the phone right side up, pressing the phone close to his dog ear.

"Sorry, can you repeat that?" He asked.

"Is this the Higarashi residence." A voice asked.

Inuyasha thought for a moment. Remembering Kagome’s last name he replied, "Yeah, I guess. Why?"

"This is the hospital. A young girl is in here and needs someone to come down here." The voice answered.

Kagome! Nyuu! Inuyasha immediately thought. "Alright, I’ll be right there." He said. Quickly he turned, dropping the phone without hanging it up.

He went to the door, snatching a hat from the hook on the wall he put it on and ran outside toward the hospital.


Kagome angrily glared at the walk before her, as she wandered through town. That Inuyasha. How could he be so, so. She groaned. Sometimes he could be such a jerk. Her fists were still clenched from her fury.

She looked up. Just when I think things couldn’t go wrong, they do. Her teeth gritted for a moment before relaxing. Not this again. We’re always fighting. Kind of makes a girl wonder, about her feelings. She shook her head. No. Even if they did fight, Kagome knew she loved him. She always would. She lightly smiled. That’s how it should be. It made since after all they’d been through.

Something caught Kagome’s attention. She had walked right into town. The streets were alive with people preparing for darkness. Lights flashed on, numerous people walked and chatted among each other. Kids ran about loudly yelling and laughing. The smell of frying food filled the air, vendors loudly shouted advertisements as Kagome passed. But, within the wild hustle Kagome heard the bark of a small dog.

Her eyes found him, next to a small stand selling bakery goods. It was Wanta, she was sure of it. He stood, his gaze shifting from person to person as he yipped before bounding off somewhere into the crowd. Kagome ran after him.

"Wait!" She called after him, running toward the stand. She stopped beside the small structure, her eyes searching for the small dog. It was useless, there was no way she’d be able to find him in this mass of people. Why was he alone? Wasn’t Mayu nearby?

"Excuse me. Can I help you?"

Kagome whirled around, facing a small woman. She wore a large apron and had long dark brown hair, her eyes holding a green tint with the brown.

"Uh. No, I was just....I thought I knew that dog." Kagome hastily replied.

"Really?" The woman asked her expression changing to a slight surprise. "Doesn’t he belong to that young black haired girl, Mayu?"

Kagome stepped forward. "You know her?!"

"Only a bit." She said. "She comes here everyday to pick up the extra bakery scraps we have left over. She says they’re her dog’s favorite but I’ve seen her eating them too. I know I shouldn’t allow myself to do it, but I can’t help but feel sorry for the poor girl. She probably has no other means of food. Her clothes are so old and dirty, and she’s never changed them."

Kagome was quiet. Was Mayu that poor? Abandoned maybe? Did she even have a place to live?

The woman studied Kagome for a moment. "Excuse me. Could I ask you a favor?" Kagome looked up, her eyes holding her curiosity. "Mayu mentioned to me yesterday that she would be turning fifteen tomorrow. Could you maybe deliver something to her for me? Tomorrow is Sunday and we’ll be closed. I was hoping to give it to her today but she never came."

"Sure." Kagome replied nodding.

The woman disappeared behind the stand before returning with a large round cake in her hands. It was chocolate and had Happy Fifteenth Birthday written in pink frosting. "Could you give her this? And maybe tell her that it’s from all of us at the deli?"

Kagome took the cake carefully in her hands, nodding. "Yeah, I will."

"Here, I’ll get you a bag so that it might be easier to carry." The woman said returning back to the stand. "Thank you very much."


Inuyasha ran into the hospital. It had been easy to find since he had just been there last night. He wore the hat he had snatched from the hook over his ears, concealing his demon side. He went to the desk.

"I’m from Higarashi shrine. I got a call." He said out of breath. He had ran all the way here, afraid of what might have happened to either Kagome or Nyuu.

"Come with me." The secretary said, rising.

Inuyasha obediently followed, his mind racing. What could have happened? Is someone hurt? Is it serious?

The secretary curiously eyed Inuyasha as she walked before asking, "Haven’t I seen you before? Were you recently a patient?"

Inuyasha glanced the other way. "I don’t think so. You must be mistaken." He lied.

The secretary shrugged, dropping the subject.

Mayu sat quietly within a white hospital room, her head bandaged. The door swung open, Inuyasha following the secretary inside.

"Mayu?" He asked in surprise.

"I’m sorry." She said getting up. "I-I didn’t know who else to call."

"Would you like us to send the bill to Higarashi shrine? The secretary asked. Inuyasha nodded his eyes on Mayu.

Mayu shifted her weight uncomfortably. Was he angry with her? Angry that she had called? What would he do? She had hoped that maybe Kagome would have come, but she would have to accept this.

"She has received a blow to the head and is bruised in various places. She claims she doesn’t remember anything that happened and she has suffered a mild concussion." The secretary explained. "She should be fine in a matter of time. All’s we recommend is that she rests."

Inuyasha nodded. "Thank you."


It was dark by the time Inuyasha and Mayu headed back for the shrine. The stars had emerged from the night sky, shining brightly. The two walked beside each other in silence, Mayu’s eyes upon the sidewalk. Inuyasha shifted through his thoughts quietly before he finally spoke.

"Mayu, why’d you call the shrine?" He asked. "Were you afraid of getting into trouble."

"I told you." She replied quietly her eyes still on the ground. "You were the only one I knew to call."

What does she mean? Doesn’t she have a home? He thought his gaze facing ahead of them.

"I promise to make it up to you." She added. "Really, I do."

He folded his arms arrogantly. "Forget about it." He said cocking his head upward. "It’s nothing to worry about."

Mayu looked up. He’s not mad? She studied him for a moment. She could tell that he must of held a unique personality considering his clothes and everything. Her eyes caught his sword. What is he? Some kind of Samurai?

He caught her gaze. His fist clenching. "What are you starring at?"

"Nothing." She said shifting her gaze ahead of her.

"C’mon." He said. "We’ll go back to the shrine and find something to eat."

Mayu’s stomach ached for food. She hadn't eaten all day. What with all the excitement and everything. Her thoughts suddenly went to the attack. She remembered running up and yelling for Nyuu and that girl to stop fighting. But then she had somehow been thrown. It wasn’t until later that she had awoke in the hospital. A soldier had brought her to the hospital after finding her during one of his training sessions with his team. She hadn’t got to thank him but the nurse had informed her of his kindness.

Mayu slid her hand onto her shoulder. A small bandage covered the area that they had extracted some of her blood. They had said it was for some kind of test, to make sure that she was alright. Funny, that they hadn’t mentioned it to Inuyasha. Mayu had been asleep at the time that they had done it, but the nurse assured her that everything went well.

Inuyasha noticed her holding her arm. "Are you alright?" He asked, dropping his arrogant act.

"Yeah, I’m fine." Mayu said withdrawing her hand. "Listen, I better go. I’ve been enough trouble for you."

"Keh. Are you kidding." He asked. "Your less trouble than anyone else I gotta put up with around here. Just come and eat. I know your hungry, I heard your stomach." He said smiling.

Mayu looked at him questioningly. Why’s he being so nice? He doesn’t even know me.

His gaze returned to stare ahead of himself in silence, his smile fading. What was he going to tell Kagome? Something about this girl told him that she had no place to go. He decided not to pry her anymore. If she wanted to tell him, she would.

The moon shone brightly within the night sky. Inuyasha sighed. It was only half full. In one week, the moonless night would come, leaving him without his demonic powers. Though, he was considering on becoming a full human it still didn’t feel right. He hated to be vulnerable.

Mayu glanced over at him. He looked worried. Was something wrong?

"You OK?" She asked.

"I’m fine." He said breaking his thoughts. Then curiously, "How bout’ you? You alright?"

She laughed lightly. "Yeah, I’m OK." She answered with a smile.

He couldn’t help but smile back.


It had become dark by the time Kagome reached the shrine. She carried a large bag from her arm as she walked up toward the house from the drive. Her eyes were on the ground as she walked, her thoughts keeping her occupied.

Suddenly, she heard someone. Her gaze jerking up, she saw Nyuu. She stood quietly next to the house, tears in her eyes.

"Nyuu!" She cried, running at Kagome.

"Nyuu. what are-?" She tried to ask but was cut off as the girl ran into her arms.

Nyuu trembled as she clung to Kagome, she seemed terrified.

"Nyuu!" She cried, her tears soaking Kagome’s shirt.

Kagome leaned down, setting the bag upon the ground.

"Oh, Nyuu." She soothed as she embraced her. Nyuu continued to tremble as she sobbed. Kagome knew something had happened, something really scared her. But what?

Actually, Nyuu couldn’t remember anything. Which was probably what had scared her. The last thing she remembered was suddenly finding herself all alone outside of the shrine. Scared and confused, all she could do was stay by the house.

Kagome held onto Nyuu, comforting her. Nyuu’s sobs began to die away. Kagome slid her fingers through Nyuu’s long hair, thinking. Nyuu, what happened to you? I wish, you could tell me.

Nyuu lifted her head, looking up at Kagome. Her eyes were swollen from her tears and she was still shivering. Kagome smiled down at her, warmly. How could have I been so jealous of her? She’s so helpless it’s heartbreaking.

"C’mon. We’ll go inside and get some dinner ready." She said taking Nyuu’s hand.



"Looks like Kagome’s back." Inuyasha said walking up the walk toward the house, Mayu beside him. The house lights were lit and Inuyasha could hear the sound of scraping metal from inside. An image of Kagome sharpening a knife played within his mind. Wouldn’t surprise me. That girl can hold a grudge.

Mayu was quiet. She had spoke little since leaving the hospital. It wasn’t until after Inuyasha had smiled at her that she had realized that Wanta was missing. She knew she couldn’t go after him now, it was dark and finding him would be difficult. She’d have to wait until morning. Her heart sank, she only hoped that he would be alright.

Suddenly, she heard it. A small yipping, no a bark. It was Wanta. She jerked her gaze up.

"Well, would you look at that." Inuyasha said as he watched the small yellow dog run toward Mayu from the shrine. Mayu fell on her knees, allowing the dog to leap into her arms.

"Wanta!" She cried, hugging his small body.

"He must have thought you came back here." Inuyasha said, watching them. Mayu looked up at Inuyasha, nodding in agreement.

Wanta turned to face Inuyasha, yipping loudly. Inuyasha froze at the pups alarm. Mayu glanced down at the small dog as he continued his insistent yip.

"What’s gotten into you, Wanta?" She asked. It wasn’t like him to bark at someone like that.

"Don’t worry about it." Inuyasha said nervously. "I’m sure he probably just caught a scent he didn’t like."

Still Mayu was puzzled at Wanta’s actions. He acted as if he was protecting her from an intruding dog or something. She sighed. At least he was back. To her, that’s all that mattered.

"You can bring him with you. Let’s go eat." Inuyasha said.